• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

So uh, when do I unlock the ability to do more than 2 session attacks?

Sucks to be stuck at Good. No rating meter like that ends at fucking GOOD.

when you learn various sessions skills
and your party members learn radiant unity that allows them to chain session even in standby + duo arts that reset the session slot
20160205065656a.png

Soul Lab

Yeah, that's exactly the part I"m struggling with. :/

Solution:
go back on the 5th floor with the orange dummy. then adjust the violet dummy so it points from the 5th floor to 6th floor. Go back to the 6th floor and set the orange dummy to the pose "5th floor to 7th floor". Run back to the violet dummy so you can go from the 6th floor to the 5th floor. On the 5th floor, run back to the orange dummy and now you can go the 7th floor.

That's what I can remember. Use your map on the gamepad. It helped me a alot since you can see where the arms of the dummies are pointing at

Wish the teleport spell would take you to Bloom Palace rather than the office. Minor thing, but it's one less loading screen, especially with how much I go there.

3rdEdge

Despite never having played any game in either series, I went all in and pre-ordered the special edition because it looked interesting and it's been a while since I played a console RPG. I completed the prologue last night and I'm enjoying it so far! I love the over the top cheesy anime storyline, in part because it makes me a little nostalgic for my teenage years when I was really into over the top cheesy anime. The combat is fun and the Gamepad integration is great. This game looks to have a lot of personality and I can't wait to get back into it later today.

ZombAid82

Had to get it today at my post office, because lazy ass didn't deliver at my house door...
Now I'm 4 hours into the game and it is kawaii as fuck!
A persona for a Nintendo console and in original dub with English subtitles?
A match made in heaven!
Finally I can dust that thing off.

Also, love how o the waifu's transform into to superwaifu's

Razmos

The millennium collection DLC mini events are pure fanservice lol

Only unlocked Tsubasa's and Kiria's events so far, but I assume there are more

Vena

These conversation choices are starting to worry me. There aren't any relationship things in this game, right? I'm trying to be nice to Tsubasa, but Kiria is too damn cool. Ugh. Just want to make sure I'm not locking myself out of anything.

No direct relationship stuff, but there's plenty of underlying things and passing jokes through dialogue options or otherwise. But its not something you can actually affect I think, so its more like passing nods at romcoms and harem anime but Itsuki isn't (as far as I can tell) the usual cliche anime protag that has every woman within a thousand square miles lusting after him and only him.

He's a dense teenager though, lol.

That or I am reading too much into his conversations with certain ladies.

Rainy

Banned
He's a dense teenager though, lol.

That or I am reading too much into his conversations with certain ladies.
Well from the first few hours I've played, it definitely seems like Tsubasa has some feelings for him, which he is obviously unaware of
!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
When I unlock the special performa through character growth, story events, and boss fights, do I have to decide which unities to spend them on or is each performa tied to one specific unity?

Shinigami

Reading through this thread has made me really want to get the game. Do y'all think it'll be a case of the game having a limited amount of copies produced?

Bought the game yesterday and I have so far only put an hour it.

I'm liking it! It's very Persona-esque and the game looks absolutely beautiful.

Vena

There's a lot of Persona comparisons but I think they do fall apart as direct relations as time goes by with the game. The initial veneer and presentation is definitely very familiar in that scope but the way the combat works (in general, and with the FE inspirations) starts to hard-diverge and the general design of the Idolaspheres puts P3/P4 to shame in terms of level design. I almost have to wonder if some of the designs here won't spoil the P5 experience, especially if they have the usual PTeam dungeon malarkey. Of course, there is no Social Link aspect here but more of a focus on immediate side stories/narratives of the characters directly.

That said, when P5 launches it will be interesting to compare how the two teams tackled this genre in their own ways.

Reading through this thread has made me really want to get the game. Do y'all think it'll be a case of the game having a limited amount of copies produced?

lol, yes. Absolutely it will be limited.

Mediking

I really like the DLC costumes but its a shame Itsuki doesn't have a Persona outfit when Tsubasa has a DLC costume that looks very similar to a Persona costume.... And like I said before, the combat is VERY fun. It's pretty addicting.

totowhoa

Banned

Yeah probably limited. I wasn't planning on getting this and had very little hype. The really positive impressions here and elsewhere caused me impulse buy it with some store credit I had for a local place where I just traded in a ton of comic books.

I'm 3 hours in and really really enjoying it. Still unlocking new mechanics too

TI82

Banned
Only a few hours in, but at its foundation its pretty much a Persona game, albeit with some systems stripped away and altered.

You still wander Tokyo as high school kids and visit shops for accessory upgrades and consumables. Dungeons still feature enemies on screen as you manage your resources to survive the gauntlet of enemies before reaching the boss.

The big changes reflect a lack of Social Links, and the very minor Fire Emblem infusion into combat. Persona's are essentially just cameo characters(uncertain if there is a deeper relationship to that franchise beyond just stylizing popular FE heroes and villains as supernatural Persona's). Skill gain occurs from crafting new weapons from materials and leveling them up through combat to add to your limited selection of slots.

Tone and story is very light-hearted and family friendly so far. Persona itself felt a bit toothless compared to its SMT brethren in that regard, but this goes even further to match Nintendo's image, but the pop-idol theming actually is a bit charming and endearing so far.

My only real complaint this early in is how dull some of the exploration music can be. Certain vocal tracks are very energetic and well produced now and again, but exploring the world map(such as your home base) between dungeons fills your ears with some rather lackluster theme tracks that are just limp. Oh and so many lines of Japanese dialogue are untranslated during combat that it feels like you are missing out on lots of banter.

Persona fans should give it a look for sure.

thanks

200.gif

senbon

Neo Member
I honestly can't remember the last time a game surprised me this much. After having just finished chapter 1: good vibes, great characters, and fun battle system. I'm really enjoying the message system and social link lite (side) quests.

Also, for some reason, the background music keep reminding me of Persona 3.

Effect

So any consensus on the difficulty settings? If you're a experienced at RPGs, and have played Atlus RPGs in general in the past, better to start on hard or normal?

Totakeke

I was trying to farm the savage enemies in the chapter 1 intermission. They're pretty hard and made me lose 1 hour of progress, but they never seem to drop their items? Am I just having bad luck?

So any consensus on the difficulty settings? If you're a experienced at RPGs, and have played Atlus RPGs in general in the past, better to start on hard or normal?

I've had about 4-5 game overs so far playing on hard.

pots555

Got the last copy at my local Gamestop. Very satisfied to get one as I did not pre-order. Just started playing and it looks like a very good game.

Anyone have a recommended level for fighting
Aversa?
I'm currently level 11 but I don't want to try and go in if I'm just gonna have my butt handed to me.

Soul Lab

Anyone have a recommended level for fighting
Aversa?
I'm currently level 11 but I don't want to try and go in if I'm just gonna have my butt handed to me.

why not? It's a good idea to go in just to spot weaknesses on the first try ^^

btw. reading this thread makes me happy. all this positive impressions!

I'm still early into the game so I haven't run into it yet, but do characters eventually have to overwrite skills if they learn too much? If that does happen, do they get lost forever, or can I reequip them?

why not? It's a good idea to go in just to spot weaknesses on the first try ^^

btw. reading this thread makes me happy. all this positive impressions!

Haha I suppose I could do that.
I'll probably just grind to level 15, maybe then I can actually explore the DLC exp dungeon...

Yeah, I've been reading lots of positive feedback for this game (which makes me happy as well). Ever since they announced it I wanted to get it. I ended up getting the CE to support the game. :)

Apenheul

Just started playing the game four hours ago and so far I really like it, the only drawback in my opinion is that just like Persona it takes quite a while before the game actually really gets going (although if memory serves me correctly Persona 4 took almost 2 hours before presenting you with the first battle and TMS still takes about 20 minutes or so I believe). Chaining sessions is fun, the Hee Ho Mart and numerous cameos are fun and the game looks really gorgeous overall. Normal difficulty seems to be on the easy side for a SMT/Persona type of game but I'll stick with it and replay TMS on hard before Persona 5 comes out.

Thud

Just completed the tiki sidequest, that was weirdly cute.

Reminded me of Gintoki doing a kamehameha and getting spotted.

miksar

I won't sound original by saying this, but TMS feels even more like a Persona game after playing it. I just hope I can finish it in two months and won't get tired of the formula, considering that I also have the finale of P3 awaiting.

I really like the idea of colored silhouettes for NPCs you can't interact with. I don't see it simply as a consequence of design and technical limitations, it is more of a visualization of how human psyche works. For better of worse we can realistically pay attention to a small number of people during the day, and seriously empathize with even a smaller number. A fine design choice that really suits the game.

totowhoa

Banned
Just started playing the game four hours ago and so far I really like it, the only drawback in my opinion is that just like Persona it takes quite a while before the game actually really gets going (although if memory serves me correctly Persona 4 took almost 2 hours before presenting you with the first battle and TMS still takes about 20 minutes or so I believe). Chaining sessions is fun, the Hee Ho Mart and numerous cameos are fun and the game looks really gorgeous overall. Normal difficulty seems to be on the easy side for a SMT/Persona type of game but I'll stick with it and replay TMS on hard before Persona 5 comes out.

You can change difficulty mid game. I'm playing on hard and it's not too brutal. Level 11 and haven't had my party die yet, though I have had to escape from a couple battles that went sideways. It feels a bit harder than your typical persona on normal, but not as hard as their hard modes (just like normal is sounding from impressions)

Lilo_D

You can change difficulty mid game. I'm playing on hard and it's not too brutal. Level 11 and haven't had my party die yet, though I have had to escape from a couple battles that went sideways. It feels a bit harder than your typical persona on normal, but not as hard as their hard modes (just like normal is sounding from impressions)

I played on normal and I already died 3 times....

Top Bottom