• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heh, I like the added detail of people inside the shops being affected by
the depression
as well, even slightly changing the dialog.

Effect

Decided to just start on hard. Still in the very beginning but after the first battle I see how they blended the systems so far. I didn't fully read the opening post of the thread completely before playing and hadn't paid attention to the combat system information before getting the game. Going to ride out the hard difficulty for a while and see how it goes. Interesting they combined the SMT elemental weaknesses from SMT with the weapon strong/weak setup from FE. Noticed that right away and smiled. I'm currently playing Fire Emblem Fates and finishing SMT IV so both are fresh in my mind and I won't be tripped up going between games. Was curious if they decided to come up with something completely new and glad they didn't.

Zomba13

Really loving this so far. I'm liking the battle system and the Session stuff for the "once more" thing, it's a nice change from hit the weakness, get another turn, hit the weakness on the next guy, get another turn etc and I like getting new skills through weapons.

Definitely scratching the Persona itch though instead of getting new Persona you get new weapons and the skills all go on your characters. Getting a more Persona vibe than SMT due to the upbeat nature of the story and graphics and the style of the UI. It's like a Wii U exclusive Persona with cameos from Fire Emblem than SMTxFE. Honestly I prefer this as I much prefer the Persona series to the SMT core games (though I've only played SMT IV). Yeah, there aren't social links or time management like in a Persona game but it has the same soul, teens in Japan getting sucked into this shadowy underworld and working together along with beings from this weird place to solve the mystery and save people while bouncing along to Jpop and colourful menus.

I also really like the little touches in the text messages and profiles. Like Tiki's DOB being the day her software was released, her weight being something like "around 3GB" and her blood type being "Dunno".

Copper

Just got though the prologue part. I'm getting pretty good vibes from it so far. I really needed a good jrpg this generation. My only complaint is the lack of subtitles in battle. Luckily I can understand most of it.

Jiraiza

I'm still early into the game so I haven't run into it yet, but do characters eventually have to overwrite skills if they learn too much? If that does happen, do they get lost forever, or can I reequip them?

Yes, you'll have to forget skills to learn new ones when you fill up all your slots. But you can get them back easily later on; not that you'll need the weaker versions of most skills, anyway. You also get a few more slots for every skill category later on as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hell yes, got the ability to switch enemies during an attack session after one is defeated.

There's something so satisfying knowing you used a single attack, but because of the session follow-ups, you were able to defeat two at once. & you just want to keep leveling up so you can unlock more session attacks for your party members so you can keep having all 3 characters do an attack in one character turn.

Man, I really hope Persona 5's combat feels this great.

Edit: Props to also having the game tell you when you have the items needed to make new weapons or skills.

-shadow-

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01dnptl.jpg

Great chapter. Took me about five and a half hours so far. Absolutely loving every second!

Thanks to all of you in this thread that spoke highly of this game, I decided to pick it up earlier this afternoon and have been playing ever since. It really is addicting and fun. Reminds me how much I love the quirkiness of Atlus and the style is a nice transition from the other games I've been playing lately. Loving it so far! About 4 or 5 hours in, I think.

PMS341

This was the first game I preordered this year, and I'm certainly glad I did. I'm in the middle of Chapter 1, and I am already pretty impressed. The battles are fun, the UI/menus are gorgeous, the BG music gives me P3 vibes... also, it just feels nice to play a good, turn-based console JRPG. Feels like it's been too long.

lt519

Do you guys consistently get like 3 state points per level up like ive been getting the past 5 or so levels or am I just really unlucky

I got one on Tsubasa once :/ Usually evens out though based on my experience from FE games.

Just starting Chapter 1. Loving the music, UI, gameplay, etc. Had to turn down just the voices though, I really can't stand the anime squealing noises Tsubasa makes.

sora87

Do you guys consistently get like 3 state points per level up like ive been getting the past 5 or so levels or am I just really unlucky

I've only had a couple of good levels and all my crew is nearly level 19, RNG hates me.

Wish I wasn't as tired as I am so I could carry on playing this, on chapter 2 now and it's really hitting all the right spots for me. Sure it's not the SMTxFE I imagined but it's damn good in it's own right.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, I think my only other complaint at the moment aside from no subs during battles is how often I'm leaving the dungeon because I want to go make new weapons or get new skills after getting the items I have. Thankfully, the teleporters make things a bit more easy to deal with when it comes to backtracking, but it's slightly annoying when it feels like every floor in the 1st chapter dungeon has me going back to Bloom Palace.

Vena

That menu screen is a very subtle troll. Look at the eyes of Tsubasa, Kiria, and on occasion Itsuki. :p
Readingtoomuchintoit.png

Looks like the blank-signs thing we had thought was localization was only on YouTube vids? All the signs in the scene had their script/contents in them? Or am I thinking of the wrong scene.

EDarkness

No direct relationship stuff, but there's plenty of underlying things and passing jokes through dialogue options or otherwise. But its not something you can actually affect I think, so its more like passing nods at romcoms and harem anime but Itsuki isn't (as far as I can tell) the usual cliche anime protag that has every woman within a thousand square miles lusting after him and only him.

He's a dense teenager though, lol.

That or I am reading too much into his conversations with certain ladies.

I got that Tsubasa likes him, but I also got the impression that Kiria does, too. Maybe I'm also reading more into it than I should. That's why I was asking if the conversation choices mean anything because I keep bouncing back and forth between the two of them. Heh, heh.

Jolkien

Hmm, I think my only other complaint at the moment aside from no subs during battles is how often I'm leaving the dungeon because I want to go make new weapons or get new skills after getting the items I have. Thankfully, the teleporters make things a bit more easy to deal with when it comes to backtracking, but it's slightly annoying when it feels like every floor in the 1st chapter dungeon has me going back to Bloom Palace.

Just use Traport, or a Traport stone, instant teleport back to Fortuna. Of course it helps unlocking a teleporter to get back to where you were quickly though.

Jolkien

I got that Tsubasa likes him, but I also got the impression that Kiria does, too. Maybe I'm also reading more into it than I should. That's why I was asking if the conversation choices mean anything because I keep bouncing back and forth between the two of them. Heh, heh.

Nah in this type of game of course more than one female will be interested in the hero. Nothing will happen with any of them so it's ''tension'' that is there for basically nothing but they always do that.

Razmos

Does anyone know what the enemy's levels are in the Hunters DLC idolasphere's?
They start off at level 6 and get stronger with every victory, after just 2 or 3 battles they were around level 18 I think, so it ramps up quickly, and the mirages appear more often too

EDarkness

Nah in this type of game of course more than one female will be interested in the hero. Nothing will happen with any of them so it's ''tension'' that is there for basically nothing but they always do that.

Ah, this is typical for a Persona/SMT game? I never finished any of the ones I own. Heh, heh. Okay, I'll just keep flirting with both of them with no consequence. :D

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just use Traport, or a Traport stone, instant teleport back to Fortuna. Of course it helps unlocking a teleporter to get back to where you were quickly though.
Yeah, this is what I've been doing, especially since I learned Traport rather quickly. Just felt kind of tedious since within the first dungeon, I must've returned about 3 or 4 times. & the teleporters were placed decently so you don't have to deal with much backtracking or dealing with getting back to a certain location.

I just hope the rest of the dungeons are like that.

Mupod

Just finished chapter 1, definitely sticking to Hard for now. Only bullshit I've encountered was a 4-group savage enemy that I was doing 17 damage to. I guess it was balanced under the assumption that I'd have upgraded weapons, but the thing literally popped up under me the second I walked into the area where I could get troll/cavalier/etc phantomas.

Jolkien

Ah, this is typical for a Persona/SMT game? I never finished any of the ones I own. Heh, heh. Okay, I'll just keep flirting with both of them with no consequence. :D

In Persona 4 Golden they could make you feel like a total ass on valentine day if you were chasing multiple interest but besides a dating scene there was nothing major. I know in Tokyo Mirage you cannot get in a relationship so you can just flirt as much as you want :p

Omnicent

So what are the orange enemy spawns?
I know for the sidequest where you need to get the singers performa you have to fight one (that shit was way harder than a savage encounter.).

In the chapter 2 dungeon (camera) there was an area where 3 enemies spawned on me and 2 of them were orange (other was the normal red spawn).

I got a question on mechanics. For some reason, I can never activate Touma's sword-blaze. It is supposed to activate as a session to sword skills, but when I have Itsuki do a super effective sword skill, only Tsubasa's session activates and not Touma's. Does it work like that? Or does it work like this: do a super effective sword skill -> someone else does a super effective lance skill by doing a session w/ the sword skill -> a 3rd person does another skill by doing a session with a lance skill instead of the original sword skill?

Kevinroc

Just finished my first session with the game. Finished the prologue and just started chapter 1. I am really enjoying it so far. It has a ton of personality. The presentation is excellent. A little annoyed at the lack of subtitles during battles. I can pick up on some things, but there are a number of things that I can't pick up on.

Other than that, I am very impressed. I'm not sure what I expected when this game was announced, but I'm liking what I am playing so far.

I know sales weren't so hot in Japan. No idea what the sales will be like in the US or anywhere else. It's a real shame that this game seems destined to be a "cult classic."

Squishy3

I got a question on mechanics. For some reason, I can never activate Touma's sword-blaze. It is supposed to activate as a session to sword skills, but when I have Itsuki do a super effective sword skill, only Tsubasa's session activates and not Touma's. Does it work like that? Or does it work like this: do a super effective sword skill -> someone else does a super effective lance skill by doing a session w/ the sword skill -> a 3rd person does another skill by doing a session with a lance skill instead of the original sword skill?
Yeah, that stuff is sequential from what I gather. So Touma will followup the first session skill instead of the skill that initiated the session.

IE this is a bit later after you get some more session skills

Tsubasa casts Zan on an enemy weak to it, Itsuki follows up with Force-Elec or whatever it is (don't have the game on right now) and then Touma would follow up with Elec-Blaze

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Itsuki, you are one oblivious dude.

Almost 7 hours in & finished Chapter 1. Would've saved some time if I didn't miss switching the orange costume switch to the left position.

Need to figure out who to switch out for Kiria. I like keeping a consistent & equally leveled party.

system will prioritize no of chain and element advantage when deciding session chain. if both touma and tsubasa has followed up for sword, system most likely pick either one that has better typing for the target

Almost 7 hours in & finished Chapter 1. Would've saved some time if I didn't miss switching the orange costume switch to the left position.

Need to figure out who to switch out for Kiria. I like keeping a consistent & equally leveled party.

just rotate them. usually I just make sure party members are equal level (unless I need them to reach stage rank faster)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there a way to check requests in progress? Got the first one yesterday, but couldn't find it neither in the main menu nor on the gamepad.

Jolkien

You can switch party member on the fly with the change command in combat. (Doesn't work with Itsuki obviously). I switch depending of the needs of the battle.

Is there a way to check requests in progress? Got the first one yesterday, but couldn't find it neither in the main menu nor on the gamepad.

Nope. I found nothing either, you can speak with the NPC again to have a recap of the request but it appears to be it.

Sandfox

I just finished the first chapter and that dungeon blew away anything your would see in Persona lol. The chapter was long enough to the point where I'm questioning the 30 hour estimate.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
THANK GOD, swapping characters in battle doesn't use up your turn.

So are side-stories missable, or will they just show up in the next intermission?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"I'll Tiki-Tiki You (For Reals)"

Atlus & Nintendo going all out on the Miku references.

can it be considered missable if you have to do them before beating final boss? :'D
Oh, phew, for some reason, I figured they were optional. Just finished Touma's & now doing Tiki's.

Edit: omg I was just told to look for someone called "TikiIsMyWaifu" or "Tiki=Waifu", this is rather funny knowing this is a Nintendo game.

Top Bottom