• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Fourth char is the best. Ad-lib quicker than Tsubasa, only good starting battle costume, best mirage.

Worst dkc costume but whatever. Everyone's skills leave something to be desired. No clue who I'm going to use in endgame.

CSX

Why can't Corrin have such nice balanced stats :p

wKzwGRA.jpg

I understand SOME of the in-battle phrases but I wish they had come up with some way to subtitle the battle chatter because I personally feel like I'm missing a lot of characterization by not understanding a lot of the in-battle monologue or dialogue. :(

But this is seriously my only issue with the game at all so far.

Finished the prologue. Combat is excellent, but everything else so far is just bleh, especially the music I've heard so far. Luckily, all I care about is the combat, customization, and dungeons so as long as the other stuff doesn't drag like Persona 3/4 does then I'll definitely stick with it.

Tanis

The game really picks up once you get to the first real dungeon after the prologue.

Also I'd recommend that anyone who has finished a SMT/Persona game consider starting on Hard. Although I'm not a hardcore SMT guy Hard feels just right for me. I'd say Hard is a touch harder than PS2 Persona 4 Normal.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
In the intermission after Chapter 1.

So what I'm wondering is if side quests lock out after certain chapters or you can take them on during any intermission. I ask that because I don't see how I'm supposed to increase Kiria and Touma's stage rank to start their side quests. Not sure how to do that with the weak enemies at that audition centre the game started in and the Shibuya 106 building. How do I level up in this intermission to do those quests? Are they intended for after Chapter 2 moreso?

I think this might be the most positive game thread I've seen on GAF, damn.
Well somehow this game turned out to be what a lot of people have wanted from JRPGs recently in terms of having great gameplay, fun lighthearted characters that don't take themselves too seriously and really interesting art design.

If it had included simple things like auto-saving and had better exploration tunes I'd say it was exactly what I wanted from a next gen Persona game.

I think this might be the most positive game thread I've seen on GAF, damn.

MegatenGAF is usually really helpful for OTs. I remember the ones for Soul Hackers and SMT4 being somewhat similar in tone too.

Really happy to see the love for this game though. Atlus RPGs are almost always a great time!

Any tips on ch 2 mini boss; thing rekts everything; 1st round is on adds while it destroys me.

Use tsubasa's special skill and session them to hell. Took me a few tries on hard before tsubasa had a turn early enough but once most of them are gone you're good. End of chapter two is a gigantic spike in difficulty as a heads up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I understand SOME of the in-battle phrases but I wish they had come up with some way to subtitle the battle chatter because I personally feel like I'm missing a lot of characterization by not understanding a lot of the in-battle monologue or dialogue. :(

But this is seriously my only issue with the game at all so far.

I'd add that the ambient music is mostly dull too. Altus usually excels there.

knkng

So what I'm wondering is if side quests lock out after certain chapters or you can take them on during any intermission. I ask that because I don't see how I'm supposed to increase Kiria and Touma's stage rank to start their side quests. Not sure how to do that with the weak enemies at that audition centre the game started in and the Shibuya 106 building. How do I level up in this intermission to do those quests? Are they intended for after Chapter 2 moreso?

Don't worry about Intermission. If you have stuff available to do, then go ahead and do it, otherwise just continue with the next chapter.

When a character quest becomes available, you will get a notification via text message with a map marker included. This can happen at any time (for example, you will probably get a couple to unlock during chapter 2), and you are free to complete them whenever you want. I think the intermission is just there so you can complete any collected side quests without interrupting your primary objective, but really, you can just drop everything and do it whenever you want with no consequences.

Enjoying this so far. Nothing really blows me away, but it doesn't have any real low points either, so it feels really solid. The Sessions mechanic is probably my favorite part of the game - it feels really good to set off a session combo that finally takes out that one particularly pesky enemy, or ends up wiping out multiple foes. The localization is really charming, but Atlus usually delivers on that front. My only gripes:

- The music is mostly forgettable, which isn't that big of a deal, but it's sort of funny considering the premise of the game.

- The character growth loop feels extremely clunky. Maxing a weapon out, having to port out to the office, go into Bloom Palace, dive through menus, watch a mini cutscene for every Unity, go back to the office, back to the map, back to the idolasphere, and then port back up to where you left of is really annoying, and there's no downside to doing so other than taking up time.

- Loading times aren't terrible, but so many things are kept behind a handful of transitions requiring loading that it becomes frustrating. There being a small load for the pause menu just feels dumb.

- Shibuya is kind of bleh. Having it segregated into really small chunks that you have to cross from piece to piece just makes me wonder why they even bothered.

So what I'm wondering is if side quests lock out after certain chapters or you can take them on during any intermission. I ask that because I don't see how I'm supposed to increase Kiria and Touma's stage rank to start their side quests. Not sure how to do that with the weak enemies at that audition centre the game started in and the building. How do I level up in this intermission to do those quests? Are they intended for after Chapter 2 moreso?

Not sure, but I still have access to Tiki's side quest after transitioning into Ch. 2 from the Intermission, so it seems they stay.

Ha ha, what's really funny is I actually kinda wish they did take certain things more seriously.

But that's not really a fault that's just a preference. And I also rarely expect Japan, even good developers like Atlus, to ever handle the things I want well. The characters are fun but ye gods Japan is so terrified to offend otaku sensibilities sometimes that you see a trope that every single anime/manga/game uses brought up again and it's like "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease try something new." Like looking at Maiko's profile and it's like "lol don't ask my age" and I have a feeling that'll be a running joke when she's the hottest person in the damn game and I'd drop Tsubasa in a heartbeat for her.

Like I said though, that's a preference. The game itself is excellent.

If someone says Yameto Nadeshiko though, no matter how much I like the game I'm breaking it in half and throwing it out.

knkng

Is any of the DLC worth getting? Does any of it have some neat story scenes attached?

I bought the fashion show DLC, and honestly, it was pretty disappointing. You get a short clip of each character walking down the runway (each scene is unlocked based on where you are in the story), and then there's about 10 lines of spoken dialogue backstage. Certainly nothing to get excited about.

Anyone know where the magazine is for the girl in ikebuks? Seemed like it would be at heeho but i don't see it

If you haven't found this yet, there's a magazine shop near the HeeHo store. Just walk down (towards the screen) a little bit. Check all the racks.

FluxWaveZ

Ha ha, what's really funny is I actually kinda wish they did take certain things more seriously.

But that's not really a fault that's just a preference. And I also rarely expect Japan, even good developers like Atlus, to ever handle the things I want well. The characters are fun but ye gods Japan is so terrified to offend otaku sensibilities sometimes that you see a trope that every single anime/manga/game uses brought up again and it's like "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease try something new." Like looking at Maiko's profile and it's like "lol don't ask my age" and I have a feeling that'll be a running joke when she's the hottest person in the damn game and I'd drop Tsubasa in a heartbeat for her..

This is not at all an "endearing character trait" of Maiko's. The "hot character but oh god she's old" trope is a common one, but Maiko doesn't fit at all in it, based on what I've played. It's just that bio gag.

I'd add that the ambient music is mostly dull too. Altus usually excels there.
well that's the thing, it's not an atlus composer this time. it's a avex trax composer thats used to doing stuff for TV and anime. in interviews he mentions this is his first time doing music for a game and how much of a challenge it is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, I just realized the cashier in the store is Anna. How the hell did I not notice that earlier.

Guessing cafe waitress is a FE character as well?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ilyana maybe?
Seems like it. The hair is the same and her bio mentions her "life revolves around food, as she is always hungry to the point of illness"

Also notice "Leek Soup" on the menu, another Miku reference?

Edit: Will the game tell me if I've done all the side-stuff I can do for the time being before ending an intermission?

Seems like it. The hair is the same and her bio mentions her "life revolves around food, as she is always hungry to the point of illness"

Also notice "Leek Soup" on the menu, another Miku reference?

Edit: Will the game tell me if I've done all the side-stuff I can do for the time being before ending an intermission?

no

GenG3000

10 hours in and the game is a blast. It's not far from a SMT game in terms of experience, taking cues here and there from the Persona games like the follow up session attacks and the Ad-lib performances. The overlapping growing systems make it very addicting.

Not the most original game ever as far as gameplay goes but nevertheless a successful traditional RPG experience overall, which somehow feels refreshing after so many mainstream RPG going for incomprehensible battle systems and growing systems.

jariw

I believe all side quests are listed on the laptop in the office. Would be very surprised if side quests are locked out from there.

Gala

Question about chapter 2 request
I'm looking for the coloring book for the little girl that you meet on the roof of the building in Ikebukuro. Can I buy it in a shop or do I have to go into the 106?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Need to start looking at the map for side-quests instead of the old "ROAM AROUND EVERYWHERE TO CHECK"

Question about chapter 2 request
I'm looking for the coloring book for the little girl that you meet on the roof of the building in Ikebukuro. Can I buy it in a shop or do I have to go into the 106?
I JUST did this, so I can tell you.

Go to Central City, head down to the left & then up past the Tokuseido place. Right at the edge, before the HeeHoMart sign, the "check" icon will appear. It'll say "there are a number of free magazines", then choose the 3rd one, the mama one.

EDarkness

I'm at the end of Chapter 2 and I finally have reached a point where I'm not liking the skill system. I keep getting new ones and I have no idea what to swap them out for and no idea how to get them back if I wanted them. I don't know if it's worth keeping the early skills or if I should start getting rid of them in order to get the higher level skills. Ugh. Been sitting at the selection screen for the last 10 minutes trying to figure out what is worth keeping and what isn't. :(

Gala

Need to start looking at the map for side-quests instead of the old "ROAM AROUND EVERYWHERE TO CHECK"

I JUST did this, so I can tell you.

Go to Central City, head down to the left & then up past the Tokuseido place. Right at the edge, before the HeeHoMart sign, the "check" icon will appear. It'll say "there are a number of free magazines", then choose the 3rd one, the mama one.

Thank you very much! I literally was right next to it, when I saw your message.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg Barry is awesome.

"I'd rank her aabboouuutt.....episode 7"
"I....don't know what that means"
"SHIIIIIIIIIIIT" spoken in plain English

I wish they had the text log, I wanna go back & read/hear some stuff.

Edit: Barry is a Neogaf member confirmed.
"All aboard the hype train! Choo choo!"

Just got done with chapter 1 (in intermission).

I am liking this a whole lot more than I thought I would. Its an SMT/Persona in everything but name. Loving it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have a feeling Ch. 2 (mainly its dungeon) is gonna be the place with the most changes & the one thing that's not gonna sit well with me, but I'll wait & see it in person before giving my judgement.

At this rate, I wouldn't mind a complete list/comparison of everything that was changed in order that you'd see them.

Top Bottom