• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

EDarkness

That's how most teenagers are. They respond when they wanna and Itsuki is that kinda guy.

I might be misremembering, but I thought the first few actually do give the player a choice in what to write back. I think they should have used more of that over the course of the games, honestly.

Demonfang

Banned
Quick question guys, is there a reason that when i hit an enemy and run into them sometimes i don't get a 'first strike'? ... do i have to run into them from behind?

tolkir

That's how most teenagers are. They respond when they wanna and Itsuki is that kinda guy.

Same happens to me in real life. People send me messages everytime, I only answer when it's important.

Choo! Choo!
]
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01v2xkt.jpg

Kyrios

I'm soooo addicted to the battle system and Unity stuff. And to think I was going to pass on this game initially, phew...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I might be misremembering, but I thought the first few actually do give the player a choice in what to write back. I think they should have used more of that over the course of the games, honestly.

Yea, he is pretty responsive in the prologue, then the game starts proper and he becomes a stoic mute, ignoring everyone. A simple response here and there would have helped maintain my interest, but since he isn't engaging at all anymore, I wonder why I should.

Robin64

Seriously, fuck the bosses in this game. The jump in difficulty from the enemies you were just facing is far too much.

Vena

Bah. Amazon hourly has failed me! It had gotten my hopes up that this game was getting carried by WoM, lol.

Seriously, fuck the bosses in this game. The jump in difficulty from the enemies you were just facing is far too much.

Party buffs are your friend, and enemy hit debuffs are also your friend. Itsuki and Kiria can fairly well buff the whole party and shut down the enemy damage output.

How do I change my weapon? I got a new carnage and i equipped that but realized i need to finish mastering my old one. Cant seem to do it with tiki and dont see anything in options :/

BTA

Wow, pretty big difficult spike on
chapter 2's boss.
Was thinking about switching to Hard but I think I'll just stick with Normal for this playthrough

It was a bit sudden for me too, but it only took two tries.
I started using Tsubasa's buff to hit/evade and that helped keep everyone alive for longer. Turns out most of the enemies in the fights are weak to ice too, so I finally switched Kiria in during the back half of the fight to help speed things up. I hadn't been using her much and she got killed so fast in my first attempt that I switched her back out before retrying; probably was a good idea to start without her but I could have switched her in earlier than I did, hmm.

EDIT:

How do I change my weapon? I got a new carnage and i equipped that but realized i need to finish mastering my old one. Cant seem to do it with tiki and dont see anything in options :/

It's in the wardrobe menu; Carnages are the top slot.

Shin-chan

The story is pretty bad, but at least Tsubasa is fun.

I also don't like how you constantly need to go back to the studio to get new shit. It feels like needless busy work. I'll also echo others saying the camera sucks. I'm not sure what it is.

I'm still loving the art style and the battle system though. And aside from the tedious travelling involved the upgrade system is really fun as well.

Dad

Itsuki is so aggressively bland. He would honestly be better off as a silent protagonist so I could at least pretend he had some character.

Also, is there a way to relearn skills from weapons you've already mastered?

The issue I have with Itsuki is that he has no interesting conflict to experience in comparison to pretty much any of the other characters. A bit disappointing really.

However, I rather enjoyed Tsubasa's conflict, finding both fears and joys in the pursuit of her dream. It's actually great.

Honestly, I would rather have the whole game have the controllable protagonist be Tsubasa than Itsuki who mostly lacks personal investment in the "real world" aspects of the narrative which is the interesting part.

Robin64

Party buffs are your friend, and enemy hit debuffs are also your friend. Itsuki and Kiria can fairly well buff the whole party and shut down the enemy damage output.

Heh, perfect. Guess I had been underestimating how damn good those abilities are. Was able to just buff up and debuff the enemies and then chapter 3's boss was nearly easy.

What items do I need for Tsubasas third carnage? I have the first teo maxed and it says I need two items. Been farming in the first dungeon with no luck so far.

Razmos

I honestly don't think Itsuki is that bad, he has more personality than a lot of beta male main characters.

Only issue I have with him is that he is locked into the party and can't be switched out, I hope that changes once I have all the playable characters

Mediking

I honestly don't think Itsuki is that bad, he has more personality than a lot of beta male main characters.

Only issue I have with him is that he is locked into the party and can't be switched out, I hope that changes once I have all the playable characters

Itsuki is good. He's Minato and Yu and Flynn combined. But I do want a woman lead for a TMS sequel.

EDarkness

Same here. I just think of him as a regular guy who's kinda caught up in everyone else's stuff. I mean, in this situation how would he be able to really have his own dream if he's stuck helping everyone else with theirs? I think his drive ultimately is to see everyone else happy. Though, it would have been nice if he at least got a girlfriend or something to give him a little bit of personal happiness.

Mediking

Same here. I just think of him as a regular guy who's kinda caught up in everyone else's stuff. I mean, in this situation how would he be able to really have his own dream if he's stuck helping everyone else with theirs? I think his drive ultimately is to see everyone else happy. Though, it would have been nice if he at least got a girlfriend or something to give him a little bit of personal happiness.

I haven't finished TMS... BUT if Tsubasa ends up friendzoning Itsuki...

Itsuki's response to Barry ("I have no idea what any of that means") was perfect. That sort of humor wouldn't work had he been like the other characters. As it is, he sort of reminds me of the "new kid" in Stick of Truth.

Are there any overall suggestions on ultimate skillsets for the characters?

More immediately, what should be the first skill I drop for Itsuki to make room for mazio? I'm thinking maybe horseslayer?

Are there any skills that are really important to keep so that you can keep stacking +1s?

Scoops

Banned
It'll probably be a little bit before I pick this up but glad to see people are enjoying it and it's holding an 82 meta. Seems like the collaboration was worthwhile after all.

BTA

Forgot to ask earlier- is there any way to relearn skills? I'm starting to worry that I'm making the wrong decisions now that I'm reaching the point where I have to replace skills, since I have no idea what later Carnages might give/improve.

Robin64

Are there any overall suggestions on ultimate skillsets for the characters?

More immediately, what should be the first skill I drop for Itsuki to make room for mazio? I'm thinking maybe horseslayer?

Are there any skills that are really important to keep so that you can keep stacking +1s?

I dunno if it's the "right" thing to do or not, but I always drop a lower skill even if it's +1 or +2 for a better costlier version of that skill. So Zio+2 got replaced by Zionga. The higher cost doesn't matter much, EP is never an issue.

As for the Ma- skills, like Mazio, I learnt to hate them and never use them now. In a group of enemies, you might have some that are weak to it but then others that can bounce it back to you. Too risky. Single target skills seem way better.

I dunno if it's the "right" thing to do or not, but I always drop a lower skill even if it's +1 or +2 for a better costlier version of that skill. So Zio+2 got replaced by Zionga. The higher cost doesn't matter much, EP is never an issue.

As for the Ma- skills, like Mazio, I learnt to hate them and never use them now. In a group of enemies, you might have some that are weak to it but then others that can bounce it back to you. Too risky. Single target skills seem way better.

So Like SMT4.

Group Skills aside from Megi- are a double-edge sword >.<

Vena

Heh, perfect. Guess I had been underestimating how damn good those abilities are. Was able to just buff up and debuff the enemies and then chapter 3's boss was nearly easy.

I am playing on hard so its become pretty much imperative. Only problem early on is that Kiria starts with next to no combo potential until her second carnage form. After that, though, she and Itsuki (is so far) make an absolutely excellent team and can get complimented well either with Touma or Tsubasa.

Vena

TMS Sequel. I like your unbridled optimism.

We'll see. Nintendo managed to stumble, trip, roll and catch fire half-way through water into some of the best jRPGs of the gen on console (since the 3DS has been spoiled for choice on jRPGs and RPGs in general). The fact that they are first party helps to make it standout even if the niche is a small one.

I can see them continuing it next gen if they think they can get other companies on board to help grow the market, but having first party solid offerings is generally a boon (especially since the competition has nothing to offer but third party titles).

I didn't have much trouble with the Chapter 2 boss on Hard. Was around level 25 or so tho

Buffs help a lot. Defense + Hit/evade buffs were lifesaver for me when the AoE every turn came, especially when Kiria can only take 2 of those hits.

I've kept some of my Ma skills for now to handle groups. Helped out a lot on that boss when he summoned helpers

FluxWaveZ

I think Ma- skills are superior to single hit ones (of the same strength) 90% of the time. Remember that in this game, you can "aim" the AoE spells so that you can get sessions going, just like a single hit spell.

Vena

I think Ma- skills are superior to single hit ones (of the same strength) 90% of the time. Remember that in this game, you can "aim" the AoE spells so that you can get sessions going, just like a single hit spell.

I've also found that heal items are actually better than healing spells/skills as you're strapped for slots and items are infinite.

Unlike other SMT games you are rarely need to manage mana, since you can just simply leave the dungeon and come back.So i might start using AOE spells over single target.

Top Bottom