• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

i'm really trying to get into this game but the the whole idol setting turning me off, i do understand Japaneses and I do not mind the story, just its feel shallow compare to SMT, persona and FE.

... will anyone help me overcome this :/

I'm really liking this game a ton despite my distinct distaste for Japanese idol culture. As a result I skip the performances and have been listening to my own music instead of the OST. Kiria songs are okay I guess. And I love her ridiculous outfit, it's so silly.

I've been talking up Kiria and shitting on Tsubasa every chance I get but I assume that'll change nothing.

Reszo

I don't know if it's the hair or the eyepatch or both, but something about her default outfit just seems like it's overdoing it and not just over the top in a fun way, if that makes sense? Her first performance's outfit just fits better with the others for me.

Even if it cost 50k yen.

Lol I hate her Carnage outfit. But Love her casual outfit I put her in it the moment I got her.

RedFox85

I found this at a local disk replay for 40$.. I was amazed someone had already traded it in. What am I getting into GAF? I really liked P4G and Persona 3 fwiw so I took a chance on this title. The colorful graphics are really pleasing to the eyes.. should I expect lots of awesome Atlus style? I am kind of bummed we didn't get a good english dub.. I really liked the dub in P4G.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I guess a question about "that" part in the Ch. 2 dungeon/boss being altered. Not sure if it's worth hiding in spoiler tags, but meh.

So did they have the voice actors record new dialog on the grounds they had to change the script to fit the fact she isn't wearing a bikini, but "street" clothes now? Or did they just rewrite the text to fit it while leaving the audio untouched?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I guess a question about "that" part in the Ch. 2 dungeon/boss being altered. Not sure if it's worth hiding in spoiler tags, but meh.

So did they have the voice actors record new dialog on the grounds they had to change the script to fit the fact she isn't wearing a bikini, but "street" clothes now? Or did they just rewrite the text to fit it while leaving the audio untouched?
Was wondering this too and if so is that why it took long to get here cuz it lines up with translation.

BTA

Touma's side quest story arc is pretty solid. I expected it to be a lot goofier given his character.

I'm doing his second one now, and yeah. I was prepared to really enjoy him being in the party ever since him being a toku actor was announced, so I'm really happy that he's a pretty great character even beyond that. His random encouraging messages are really sweet, too.

EDIT: Oh, huh, they're even touching on the whole Ikemen Rider thing with Raiga's actor. Neat!

NeonZ

The audio is changed too.

In order to make new weapons for Itsuki, it says I need items from Shibuya Latter Area.

Is there a door or something I'm missing here? I can't seem to find anything.

Zomba13

I don't know if it's the hair or the eyepatch or both, but something about her default outfit just seems like it's overdoing it and not just over the top in a fun way, if that makes sense? Her first performance's outfit just fits better with the others for me.

Even if it cost 50k yen.

Exactly how I feel. Like, the other outfits (so far) have seemed extravagant and flashy but not in a "trying too hard" way but Kiria's, with the Hatsune Miku hair and the eyepatch just doesn't look good. I much prefer the outfits she used in the performances.

I found this at a local disk replay for 40$.. I was amazed someone had already traded it in. What am I getting into GAF? I really liked P4G and Persona 3 fwiw so I took a chance on this title. The colorful graphics are really pleasing to the eyes.. should I expect lots of awesome Atlus style? I am kind of bummed we didn't get a good english dub.. I really liked the dub in P4G.

You'll like it then. Really feels like a Persona game more than anything, minus the social links and time management though there are intermissions between chapters where you can do character side stories which basically feel like the big Social Link moments. The lack of a dub is disappointing for me as someone who loves the P3 and P4 dubs but it's not a massive deal (outside of comments in battle not being translated).

Makonero

I had no idea that they changed that. Tsubasa was super cute in urban gear, so I have no problems with the change.

Even if it cost 50k yen.

It's the eyepatch for me. Just looks really weird.

There is at least two story dungeons in Shibuya.

Tiki told me that there were some that were only in the older dungeons, so I thought she meant that I needed to go back THERE to get them, rather than progressing where I am now.

...So I guess I'll keep progressing where I am now. :p

Edit: Yep. Just found it. OF COURSE.

I read too much into it.

RedFox85

Exactly how I feel. Like, the other outfits (so far) have seemed extravagant and flashy but not in a "trying too hard" way but Kiria's, with the Hatsune Miku hair and the eyepatch just doesn't look good. I much prefer the outfits she used in the performances.

You'll like it then. Really feels like a Persona game more than anything, minus the social links and time management though there are intermissions between chapters where you can do character side stories which basically feel like the big Social Link moments. The lack of a dub is disappointing for me as someone who loves the P3 and P4 dubs but it's not a massive deal (outside of comments in battle not being translated).

Thanks! That is exactly what I had hoped when buying it.

Thud

Just finished chapter 2 and some sidequests. Really enjoy playing this. Way more than fire emblem fates.

Battles are so much fun. Pretty difficult on hard sometimes. Had to level up a bit to down the chapter boss.

The game has its flaws, but it hides it really well. Sidequests are pretty interesting progression of the social links. Although the missions are a bit dull like in persona.

Can't play the game for a few days, gonna miss it lol.

I love eye-patches and twintails so Kiria works for me.

I do have to mention I hate when a game doesn't give your unused party members at least a little EXP or skill gain. Like...I have three spots yo, I don't want people lagging behind.

Makonero

I do have to mention I hate when a game doesn't give your unused party members at least a little EXP or skill gain. Like...I have three spots yo, I don't want people lagging behind.

I swap people regularly to keep them even, which is so easy in this game. I love that swapping people in battle means they stay that way for the next one.

My only problem with this now is that Itsuki is now quite highly leveled compared to the rest but oh well.

FluxWaveZ

From the sound of it, you're pretty early. As you progress, the game will start giving more and more EXP to members of the sub cast.

megalowho

This ate up a ton of my weekend and I still want to play more, did not expect that. Probably should have since it's basically a Persona game, just lighter in tone and more condensed. Will finish up Chapter 2 tonight.

Been picking away at Fire Emblem Fates again lately so the touches from that series stand out. It's a surprisingly tasteful mashup, systems evoke the feel of Fire Emblem without trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Along with the idol culture backdrop it all works a lot better in game than it sounded on paper.

I do miss English VO and don't really care much about Tsubasa's burgeoning idol career but I appreciate the setting just for being something different. Game strikes a nice balance between familiar and fresh, and everything from the battles to the in between stuff has a brisk pace to it that makes it hard to put down.

Reszo

So I think I'm seeing this right. so as long as you change in with a sub-cast party member during battle everyone will get the maximum exp?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
IIRC they rewrote and redubbed it

The audio is changed too.
Hmmm, alright, I guess if they actually altered the story, I don't feel too annoyed, because that's the one thing I don't want changed in localization. But again, I'll wait & witness the scene for myself. Might need a comparison between the two versions, but at least they actually took the time to have the VAs come back to redo lines.

I was wondering because either they didn't know it or just wanted to fake a screenshot in order to get angry, but saw a pic that didn't change the text to reflect the fact the US version was altered. Think it was just something to show "hey, we can hack/patch the game to have its original dialog from the JPN version"

Also, the more I look at the UI during battle, the more I feel like there should be a 4th party member partaking in battle, but maybe that's just because I'm so used to Persona having 4 characters in battle.

Hardly scientific proof but so far I've noticed that with Tsubasa subbed out she still gets the exact same amount of experience as Itsuki.

It seems like characters get about the same amount of XP whether you use them or not but their Performance Class (or whatever is called) will suffer if they aren't used.

Copper

Really enjoying this game so far. Wish I had more time to play it. Especially with Star Ocean coming this Tuesday. Trying to decide if I should play and focus on this or try and balance both. Anyone know how long this game is? Playing on hard and I'm on Chapter 2 now and haven't died yet.

Cherry

Banned
Really enjoying this game so far. Wish I had more time to play it. Especially with Star Ocean coming this Tuesday. Trying to decide if I should play and focus on this or try and balance both. Anyone know how long this game is? Playing on hard and I'm on Chapter 2 now and haven't died yet.

Not sure about the length, just finished chapter 2. I'm also getting Star Ocean tuesday, but I probably won't even start it until I'm finished with this game. Last time I stopped playing Persona 4 Golden, I didn't get back to it for 2 years....

Shun

Hmmm, alright, I guess if they actually altered the story, I don't feel too annoyed, because that's the one thing I don't want changed in localization. But again, I'll wait & witness the scene for myself. Might need a comparison between the two versions, but at least they actually took the time to have the VAs come back to redo lines.

I was wondering because either they didn't know it or just wanted to fake a screenshot in order to get angry, but saw a pic that didn't change the text to reflect the fact the US version was altered. Think it was just something to show "hey, we can hack/patch the game to have its original dialog from the JPN version"

Also, the more I look at the UI during battle, the more I feel like there should be a 4th party member partaking in battle, but maybe that's just because I'm so used to Persona having 4 characters in battle.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread that they switched from a typical gravure you would find in a manga publication or serialization to a fashion focused one. The gist of the story is still their despite their changes and it shows Tsubasa's growth and development still. The gist message is still there, even though there are visual alterations.

Atlus did remove and alter a Japanese entertainment reference, which was the manga publication Young Rabbit (Young Animal Berserk's publication), but they replaced it with a different Japanese magazine, Nonno (dubbed Nanno), which is a women's fashion publication in Japan.

So Atlus did keep with the Japanese with the change, despite some other inconsistent ones. The only small complaint I have with the Nonno change is that the clothes isn't exactly what you would find on a Nonno cover, as they have more mature casual lineups rather than dancer streetwear, but I mean I guess it works.

Another is the My Complex reaction, which is a little more exaggerated than it should be with the difference, but not that big a deal in my opinion.

Cubas

I'm seven hours in and this is one of my favorite games of the year so far. I was expecting to like it, but I gotta say I'm surprised that I'm liking it THIS much. I don't care about idols and usually dislike anime, but there's something about this game that feels so good.

I haven't started the game yet but watching my brother play wow I'm shocked the there are no subtitles for battle dialogue. I'm sure it has been mentioned a bunch in the thread but even though I have no problem playing the game in Japanese that seems like a huge misstep.

Vena

Wait a minute, the censorship was for
Maiko
?!?!

Into the garbage with you.

*throws Wii U into a dumpster*

Maiko? They barely touched her unless you mean her photographs. It was Tsubasa's costume that was changed to the "chic street style" and the whole dungeon changes from gravure to general modeling.

BTA

I didn't care about the "censorship" to begin with, but knowing more about that change, it's even harder to see the issue? For an American audience, it makes more sense to me that Tsubasa would just be modeling street clothes at this point instead of being a swimsuit model, since gravure isn't really a thing.

Shun

I didn't care about the "censorship" to begin with, but knowing more about that change, it's even harder to see the issue? For an American audience, it makes more sense to me that Tsubasa would just be modeling street clothes at this point instead of being a swimsuit model, since gravure isn't really a thing.

Yeah I'm just mentioning the difference since Zonic asked and I don't really want to devolve or invite it into a huge debate. It isn't a big one change that alters the story or messages conveyed, the message is still very much intact.

The only issue I have is some inconsistencies with it but Atlus did a good job using a different Japanese magazine parody. It's just the party reaction to the scene is a bit more exaggerated with the outift change which makes it a little odd. Especially given the context of Nonno as a magazine which I think the outfits should have been a little more mature than dance and street wear but it's okay. Other than that it isn't too major for tha story sequence. It is kinda weird how inconsistent and consistent some changes are, but I guess I'll make a note or post if I see another one in game. The different magazine, Young Animal to Nonno, is the only big reference change so far.

BTA

Yeah I'm just mentioning the difference since Zonic asked and I don't really want to devolve or invite it into a huge debate. It isn't a big one change that alters the story or messages conveyed, the message is still very much intact.

The only issue I have is some inconsistencies with it but Atlus did a good job using a different Japanese magazine parody. It's just the party reaction to the scene is a bit more exaggerated with the outift change which makes it a little odd. Other than that it isn't too major for tha story sequence. It is kinda weird how inconsistent and consistent some changes are, but I guess I'll make a note or post if I see another one in game. The different magazine, Young Animal to Nonno, is the only big reference change so far.

Oh, I should say I really liked hearing your input. It's interesting to see what they've changed, especially when they've tried to swap things in like Nonno.

muteki

Just now getting started, Tsubasa's expressions and overreactions are adorable. Had to quit out early in the prelude dungeon but really like the look of everything so far. And the game pad/text messaging is brilliant.

I'm sad about the other audition contestants though, a couple of them were really cute.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was gonna say "Playboy's pretty close", but as I was thinking that, maybe Nintendo didn't want the game to do towards that "direction" or whatever, keeping with the T-rating & such.

The only issue I have is some inconsistencies with it but Atlus did a good job using a different Japanese magazine parody. It's just the party reaction to the scene is a bit more exaggerated with the outift change which makes it a little odd. Especially given the context of Nonno as a magazine which I think the outfits should have been a little more mature than dance and street wear but it's okay. Other than that it isn't too major for tha story sequence. It is kinda weird how inconsistent and consistent some changes are, but I guess I'll make a note or post if I see another one in game. The different magazine, Young Animal to Nonno, is the only big reference change so far.
Same here, don't want to spur any arguments, I'm just curious & am content with just seeing pics so I know what was changed. I'm just curious because I like having a large amount of gaming knowledge & want to put my curiosity to rest.

I'm not really annoyed at the changes, as more "well that's kind of a bummer but oh well", but if you're changing something that screws with the story (i.e. Fatal Frame, one of the Xenosaga games, etc.), that's when I feel like it crosses the line, but at the very least, from what it sounds like, they were trying to keep the same intent, just from a view point that would be more identifiable from an American perspective.

Top Bottom