• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

BTA

Yep.

(Not really a spoiler, but being cautious):
There's a side story scene dialogue option that plays with the fact that Itsuki's thoughts are ridiculously elaborate when it comes to all forms of edible goods.

I'm so happy; now I'm looking forward to this!

Rainy

Banned
Who are you guys using in your main party?

Just finished chapter 1, do people outside of your party get experience? If not do you guys try to train everyone equally or what.

Razmos

Encountered a rare enemy last night that I spent ages trying to figure out the weakness of, but every turn it was confusing my entire party lol, it kept doing that until it eventually escaped

Vena

Just finished chapter 1, do people outside of your party get experience? If not do you guys try to train everyone equally or what.

Kiria and Itsuki, rotating chair on Touma and the rest. Itsuki and Kiria cover everything pretty well together, and their elements don't overlap nor do their weaknesses for the most part.

I've built Itsuki into a support role with debuffs and thunder element. He's versatile enough to be able to go into any battle as is mandatory with the game.

Since swapping doesn't take a turn, I don't really have a ~set~ party. I've taken a liking to using Kiria since she covers a bunch of elements though. Right now I'm using Ellie and her.

FluxWaveZ

Sub cast members will consistently gain experience as you learn more ways to extend Sessions and gain passive skills that enable them to gain more experience when they are not in the active party.

I guess I might be spending more time than I have to by doing this, but this is the first JRPG I can think of where I try to have every one of my party members equally leveled at all times. I think it's because of how easy they are to switch and because of how much EXP they gain when they're in the sub cast. Also because of how much enemies can exploit weaknesses, so it helps to have flexibility at all times.

I don't know if it's the skills I've given her or what (I though I did an alright job with them), but my Tsubasa really sucks. (Party member spoiler)
+++Mamori+++
does literally everything Tsubasa does, but better.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It is now 1:09 here in the morning and still nothing on if the thing has shipped or even processing, i ordered this thing on the 22nd(gamestop)

FluxWaveZ

When do extended chains and sub-cast chaining open up? Or did I accidentally miss it somewhere haha.

Depends on where you're at in the game. You'll continue learning mechanics as the game progresses and unlocking new skills until the point where you'll be able to get 11-chain Sessions going.

Reszo

Right now im using MC, Kiria, Touma. I switch in Tsubasa frequently so she can get exp.
People outside get exp but it's not a lot looked like half? but as long as everyone participates in battle (switch them in atleast once) everyone will get the full amount of exp.

Deku89

20 hours in, just finished chapter 3. I like how they keep on adding and building on the mechanics. Keeps the gameplay interesting. The bosses are always at an extremely higher difficulty (so I need to grind a bit before each time).

Effect

Believe I'm at the end of chapter 1 but going have to try grinding for money. Running out of items to bring characters back to life. The actual boss fight outside of that is manageable. Even tried dropping down from Hard to Normal to see if there is a difference. Outside of less damage being done still running out of items. Haven't had to grind in a rpg in a while. So guess I'll do that tomorrow night.

Vorpal

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a use for excess Performa? (I.e., Blob Force, Caspar Force, Onyx Bade, etc.)

I've created all Carnage currently available and just want to make sure I'm not missing a second use for them. I'm still early on (about to fight the Shibuya 106 boss), so maybe a new mechanic opens up here soon.

Jintor

So I wasn't really following anything about this at all, is there a Persona-esque calender time progression-manage skill ups thing to this at all? Cos I think that's what I'm really craving.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a use for excess Performa? (I.e., Blob Force, Caspar Force, Onyx Bade, etc.)

I've created all Carnage currently available and just want to make sure I'm not missing a second use for them. I'm still early on (about to fight the Shibuya 106 boss), so maybe a new mechanic opens up here soon.

There is no second use for Performa other than at the Bloom Palace. But you won't be able to go as you have been once more things start opening up.

Delio

Elenora is such a huge asset in the dungeon right after you get her. She caught up to my teams levels super fast as well.

FluxWaveZ

Okay, cool. Thanks! Re: bolded--Like, I won't be able to access Bloom Palace as easily? Interesting.

Oh no, I mean that you won't be able to unlock everything you want when you want to using Performa because more things will become available than you have the resources to obtain.

Though, it actually takes a bit of time to get to that point. One of my complaints with #FE relates to this, and how seemingly pointless the process of getting things via Performa was when it never seemed like you'd run out of anything. That changes later on in the game.

Rainy

Banned
Oh no, I mean that you won't be able to unlock everything you want when you want to using Performa because more things will become available than you have the resources to obtain.

Though, it actually takes a bit of time to get to that point. One of my complaints with #FE relates to this, and how seemingly pointless the process of getting things via Performa was when it never seemed like you'd run out of anything. That changes later on in the game.

It seems you've gone through a lot of the game already, have you enjoyed your time with it?

Vorpal

Oh oh oh. I see. Yeah, that complaint is kinda why I was asking. All the unlocking has felt really linear so far. Glad to hear that Performa hunting/stockpiling/spending will become a little more purposeful later on in the game.

FluxWaveZ

It seems you've gone through a lot of the game already, have you enjoyed your time with it?

35 hours in; started chapter 5 a while ago; Itsuki Lv 49. I got an earlyish copy thanks to Nintendo for review purposes.

It's a great game. It has its setbacks like loading times, having to return to the Bloom Palace constantly in a cumbersome way (worsened by the loading times), and no translation for combat/ambient dialogue (easily my biggest complaint with this game, because it means players miss out on all that characterization and it's obvious the developers put a lot of time into it).

But other than stuff like that, it's really fun. Perhaps a bit too saccharine for my tastes at times, but the characters have grown on me and it's just well realized all around.

Are you talking about the two chest behind the gate thing?
I don't think so, but maybe.
When you teleport to the 7th floor and go down the hallway, to the left is a fence and a chest is in sight. I know I'm supposed to use the purple maid costume to get there (I have to find a way to get its left arm to the top floor and come in from its right), but I'm not sure how since the only purple switch I know of on floors 5-7 (which is on floor 5 next to an orange switch) only raises up to floor 6.

When you teleport to the 7th floor and go down the hallway, to the left is a fence and a chest is in sight. I know I'm supposed to use the purple maid costume to get there (I have to find a way to get its left arm to the top floor and come in from its right), but I'm not sure how since the only purple switch I know of on floors 5-7 (which is on floor 5 next to an orange switch) only raises up to floor 6.
same issue here. i went back down to figure it out and ended up dying to a savage enemy and losing a bunch of progress. so i may just not bother trying to figure it out.

there's a door in the very beginning you can't open, maybe the switch is somewhere behind there.

Vorpal

I struggled with that for a while as well. Really seems like there's no way to access a second purple switch yet. I have to imagine that the necessary pose/switch is hidden behind a currently-unbreakable wall.

Mediking

TMS: Encore Presentation for NX. TMS: Duet starring a female woman lead as a sequel for NX. Hahah those are my dreams for the series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jeeezzzzz, Ch. 2's dungeon is so complex. I think I found the boss door, but I want to explore more to see if there's more treasure to find, but it's a pain with the cameras, constant stairs, and going all over the place.

Mendrox

Oh. I just saw the game is completely uncensored already by using a patch.

I have the japanese version and if I rip my files and use their patcher with an EU copy that will work right? Seems like the patch from GBAtemp works like this and just changes the files in the according packages... hmm :)

Tsubasa wedding dress uncensored \o/

crushy

Neo Member
Really liking this game, could spend 9 hours into this game during the weekend.
Was surprised when I came across a golden cloak baddy in the second dungeon yesterday, tought there were only red and black cloaks in the dungeons.

The battle system, the popculture, the banter between the characters, the overall presentation. It has got me hooked.

Dislike

Not to fond of how they call Barry Goodman Fat when he's just regular and seems the most attractive character to me. Hope his role gets bigger during the story

mclem

After a fairly shitty intro to the weekend (for Brexity reasons, naturally), I have to say that this has done a fantastic job of pulling me out of that funk. Utterly loving it. I'm about fifteen hours in, somewhere in Chapter 2 (
We've just been distracted from the main dungeon by a pop concert, because that's the sort of thing that makes sense in this game. I love it.
); playing on hard, so I think it's the combination of the difficulty and my naturally cautious, grindy style is making the game last considerably longer than the initial figures people were waving around for me.

I think one big thing for me at the moment is the dungeon design; it's really making good use of height to make the labyrinths interesting, and the fact that - thus far - they're generally open enough to allow you to see other floors and key information makes navigation feel a bit more involving - While I'm still using core techniques of exploring via brute force, as I'd do with most dungeons in RPGs, I'm also taking in distant areas, making mental notes, and trying to navigate around to them. That's the sort of skill I love RPGs to do... and they don't generally do that all that often, unfortunately.

I got the Fortissimo edition. Should I be looking at the extra dungeons right now (even though I don't particularly need to grind any more than I am already), or save them for end/postgame stuff?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Had to buff myself with evade while debuffing the enemy party with lower hit chance and then just pray that attacks missed just enough that I could live. Still crazy, but yeah.
That's my strategy for every boss/mini boss lol. Overall i brute forced it, Kiria da best, but it was certainly interesting when you compare it to the Ch 2 boss. Wish I coulda grounded more 4 stars from it...

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
I had very low expectations for this game, as im not even slightly interested in JPOP or anything related to it. Played almost 6 hours straight yesterday and i really enjoyed pretty much everything about that game.
The high ratings are deserved and i hope this game will sell well enough.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oooooh, so....*semi ch. 2 pre-boss spoilers*

Maiko WASN'T removed from the cutscene, she was just....re-positioned to not be laying on the couch??

aravuus

I kept seeing posts about how terrible the story is and how boring the whole idol thing is in general, so I thought I had already decided I'd skip this one, but now I'm starting to see tons of posts like this

I had very low expectations for this game, as im not even slightly interested in JPOP or anything related to it. Played almost 6 hours straight yesterday and i really enjoyed pretty much everything about that game.
The high ratings are deserved and i hope this game will sell well enough.

and I don't know what to do anymore lmao. So maybe I'll just ask my question again since no one answered me earlier:

Been a while since I've bought any retail WiiU games, I don't have to install the game on the HDD or anything like that if I get it on DVD, right? Only got the basic WiiU with like 2 gigs free space, and I'm not currently planning on buying an external HDD for it.

I can't currently even play Smash cause it refuses to start without installing a patch, so I don't want the same to happen here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
alllriiigghhhttt, now I need a text log comparison for the later parts of Ch. 2.

Kirai says something completely different from "what?" in the Japanese version after Touma's all "OH, YEAH, SURE" when being asked about the book. Hell, Touma even has different animations in each version when he's voicing his thoughts about the book.

Holy crap... Mamori is only 11? Geez I was guessing 14-15. Barry is instantly creepier forobsessing over her now (not that obsessing over a 14 year old would be much less creepy...)

Mendrox

I kept seeing posts about how terrible the story is and how boring the whole idol thing is in general, so I thought I had already decided I'd skip this one, but now I'm starting to see tons of posts like this

and I don't know what to do anymore lmao. So maybe I'll just ask my question again since no one answered me earlier:

No need to install anything. Get it now. You can could even rip it to a SD card and load it with loadiine for fastter loading times than even the digital version (and also uncensore if you import the japanese version for cheap).

aravuus

No need to install anything. Get it now. You can could even rip it to a SD card and load it with loadiine for fastter loading times than even the digital version (and also uncensore if you import the japanese version for cheap).

Awesome, thanks! This is the first time I've heard of loadiine, sounds amazing. Haven't done any homebrew stuff on my WiiU yet, but I'll definitely look into it when I have the time.

Mendrox

Awesome, thanks! This is the first time I've heard of loadiine, sounds amazing. Haven't done any homebrew stuff on my WiiU yet, but I'll definitely look into it when I have the time.

It's really simple. Just put a few things on a SD card and you are finished :) I would recommend that to anyone that wants even shorter load times (high speed card required).

Robin64

lol im at the end of chapter 4 @ level 35~, im pretty sure im ten levels behind, since sidequests are recommending level 47.

Haha yeah, I ran off to do Kiria's and was met with that. But I feel like if I grind up to do that quest now then I'll be way overpowered for the rest of the game. Decisions, decisions..

Top Bottom