• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

I'm 6 hours deep and title past what I think is the halfway point in Chapter 1's dungeon. Good lord, this game is phenomenal. The graphics, the sound, the outstanding battle system. And don't forget the Unity sub-systems! But there is also a class change too?!

This game is perfect for summer!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I could've sworn that was part of the Japanese version & was only in early trailers. Which speaking of, I still remember the fact they showed "that" scene from Ch. 2 in tact, but at the time, I THINK it had the ESRB warning of "this game is expected to be rated M". I'd have to go back to make sure, but it's not that big of a deal.

Hoping to clear the Ch. 2 dungeon tonight, explored just a little bit but can tell it's going to be a pain to fully explore due to the layout & the cameras that'll send you back to the entrance of the room.

Renewed

I could've sworn that was part of the Japanese version & was only in early trailers. Which speaking of, I still remember the fact they showed "that" scene from Ch. 2 in tact, but at the time, I THINK it had the ESRB warning of "this game is expected to be rated M". I'd have to go back to make sure, but it's not that big of a deal.

Hoping to clear the Ch. 2 dungeon tonight, explored just a little bit but can tell it's going to be a pain to fully explore due to the layout & the cameras that'll send you back to the entrance of the room.

You can use Lightoma to verify the range of the cameras. Navigation of the dungeon will be the harder part sometimes lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You can use Lightoma to verify the range of the cameras. Navigation of the dungeon will be the harder part sometimes lol
Cool, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Had no idea when to make use of the skill that shows traps & such.

FluxWaveZ

Same. I actually like what they did to Kiria's costume more than the original version. The pants look a lot better.

That was a change for the Japanese version.

Edit: The only change that actively frustrates me is this one, because it is utterly incomprehensible and looks very bad:
66HWh9Q.jpg

Is Itsuki your typical Atlus silent protagonist? I have never been a fan of the silent protagonists as there is no way to develop their characters (since you are always silent).

And what difficulty are you playing on?

Itsuki does have his own personality but he mostly comes off as bland to me. He does have choices in the dialogue but he also communicates to other characters by himself too.

I'm also playing on normal! I might switch over to hard soon since the I understand the battle system fairly well even though the savages (stronger enemies) are scary af and usually will KO me after a round if I don't run away.

Shun

Just finished chapter 1. What stage rank does a character have to be at to do there side stories?

Stage Rank requirement for Side Stories for every character

Tsubasa
Chapter 2/Rank5
Chapter 2/Rank 7
Chapter 3/Rank 9

Touma
Chapter 1/Rank 3
Chapter 2/Rank 5
Chapter 4/Rank 9

Kiria
Chapter 1/Rank 5
Chapter 2/Rank 8
Chapter 3/Rank 10

Eleonora
Joining/Rank 3
Chapter 4/Rank 7
Chapter 4/Rank 10

Mamori
Joining/Rank 3
Joining/Rank 6
Chapter 5/Rank 10

Yashiro
Joining/Rank 6
Joining/Rank 9
Chapter/Rank 12

Maiko
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Barry
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Tiki
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 6

bomblord1

Banned
The texts on the gamepad are legitimately one of the most immersive things I've seen done with the gamepad. It just works so well and naturally.

It manages to flesh out the characters in a way you would expect people their age to communicate and it's used for more than just info dumps. It really surprised me when I had been wondering around screwing around instead of going to the objective and I got a text asking how much longer I would be getting there.

In Chapter 1's dungeon,
there's a chest on floor 7 that I have no idea how to get to. All I know is that you have to use the purple maid to get to it. Is there a way to get to it now that I'm just not getting, or do I have to be able to break one of the walls that I "don't have the power to break yet"?

lt519

Got through Chapter 1 on normal today without wiping yet. Second boss floored me for a second by performing sessions. Was totally surprised by that but managed to recover after a few defensive turns. Thinking of bumping it up to hard.

Still have mixed feelings about the game. The presentation, style, and gameplay are top notch but the theme just isn't grabbing me.

hitmon

I just finished chapter 2 and it looks like I can upgrade to another carnage weapon, but I need 3 star items. Anybody know which dungeon I can grind for these items? I think I may have gotten one from the chapter 2 boss. Thanks in advance.

KarmaCow

Do you get the option to re-learn skills from mastered weapons? I'm only at chapter 3 but so far the demon fusing equivalent seems extremely on rails and mindless. So far I haven't really run into any problems making the "wrong" choice when inheriting skills but it's weird how you can seemingly craft the starting weapons if the game didn't tell you already have it.

I just finished chapter 2 and it looks like I can upgrade to another carnage weapon, but I need 3 star items. Anybody know which dungeon I can grind for these items? I think I may have gotten one from the chapter 2 boss. Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is a reliable way to get them yet, you'll get them from the next chapter's dungeon.

Vena

The star items basically come from their chapter specific dungeon. They also become the main limiter on upgrades I have found as they don't drop fast enough for how much they are needed.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You should have grinded them from the ch 2 boss. :(
Next dungeon you can find them.

VICI0US

Any chance the special edition will get a restock? Meant to grab it while it was still in stock online and it slipped my mind :|

hitmon

Do you get the option to re-learn skills from mastered weapons? I'm only at chapter 3 but so far the demon fusing equivalent seems extremely on rails and mindless. So far I haven't really run into any problems making the "wrong" choice when inheriting skills but it's weird how you can seemingly craft the starting weapons if the game didn't tell you already have it.

I don't think there is a reliable way to get them yet, you'll get them from the next chapter's dungeon.

The star items basically come from their chapter specific dungeon. They also become the main limiter on upgrades I have found as they don't drop fast enough for how much they are needed.

You should have grinded them from the ch 2 boss. :(
Next dungeon you can find them.
I barely scratched by the 2nd boss and was unable to grind for them there. I was hoping to get all the side missions taken care of during the intermission, but doesn't sound like it's possible with my current progress. Thanks for the quick responses.

Dugna

Note that doing overkill sessions can net more resources from mobs, I have stupid amounts of stars of each kind because of that kinda stuff.

FluxWaveZ

Note that doing overkill sessions can net more resources from mobs, I have stupid amounts of stars of each kind because of that kinda stuff.

It gets a bit ridiculous later in the game. Sometimes I feel like not hitting any weaknesses because I don't want to go through 1 minute of Overkills.

Also, I either forgot the explanation or whatever else, but could someone tell me how (Late Game Mechanic Spoiler)
duo performances work? I get how everything else does, but the dual performances kind of pop up at random times. Are they actually random and, if not, what are the requirements?

Renewed

But you totally need those 30 Session combos lol

I really need details on the full soundtrack, vocal collection's great but now that I'm actually playing the game there's so much more music I'm enjoying.

BTA

I got 8 3 stars from that boss just by accident because I killed him so slowly, hah. Not that it's helping me yet; I'm still a little too low on 2s such that I don't have enough to finish off everyone's Carnages that use them, so I'm definitely looking forward to the Radiants that boost drops.

KarmaCow

It gets a bit ridiculous later in the game. Sometimes I feel like not hitting any weaknesses because I don't want to go through 1 minute of Overkills.

Yea I get that it counts as participation and performing an action but they should really just cut off actually showing it when it's hitting a dead enemy.

Socivol

In Chapter 1's dungeon,
there's a chest on floor 7 that I have no idea how to get to. All I know is that you have to use the purple maid to get to it. Is there a way to get to it now that I'm just not getting, or do I have to be able to break one of the walls that I "don't have the power to break yet"?

Are you talking about the two chest behind the gate thing?

FluxWaveZ

I'm getting so many new carnage weapons before I've even mastered the older ones

Think of them as direct equivalents to Megaten demons or new personas in Persona. It's not like the player is expected to fuse each and every one that becomes available as they do, but it's really a pick-and-choose scenario, where you should really go with the weapons with the skills you want your characters to learn.

Maxinas

Any chance the special edition will get a restock? Meant to grab it while it was still in stock online and it slipped my mind :|

If they didn't provide a restock of the FE Fates special editions, no way they will for this game. Already going for $100+ on ebay, so unless you are lucky to find one in stock in a local store somewhere, your only other choice is scalpers:/

Dugna

Being able to save basically anywhere is very nice, hell I even saw a savage enemy and right before it hit me just entered the menu saved and then fought it. I won and got some nice XP but still was nice to have a buffer.

Shun

Also, I either forgot the explanation or whatever else, but could someone tell me how (Late Game Mechanic Spoiler)
duo performances work? I get how everything else does, but the dual performances kind of pop up at random times. Are they actually random and, if not, what are the requirements?

Like Ad-Lib Performances, Duo Arts are gained through side quests and they have a possibility of triggering once you hit a Session Combo of at least 4.

It's also possible to trigger 2 different Duo Arts at the same time, and you can choose between them.

FluxWaveZ

Like Ad-Lib Performances, Duo Arts are gained through side quests and they have a possibility of triggering once you hit a Session Combo of at least 4.

Oh, so it's a chance of triggering and there are no guaranteed set-ups for it. I see.

Interesting mechanic, though. I usually have to wait a bit while a Session is going on to determine which one I want to go with when 2 pop up.

Having ad libs trigger in savage fights is a huge butt saver.

Stopped playing for the day after finishing up all of the Chapter 2 intermission stuff. Game clock already at 21 hours without a lot of idle time

BTA

The more I play, the more I wonder why Itsuki's trying to be an entertainer.

It's clear that his true calling is being a food blogger.

FluxWaveZ

The more I play, the more I wonder why Itsuki's trying to be an entertainer.

It's clear that his true calling is being a food blogger.

Yep.

(Not really a spoiler, but being cautious):
There's a side story scene dialogue option that plays with the fact that Itsuki's thoughts are ridiculously elaborate when it comes to all forms of edible goods.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Freakin' hell, was close to beating a SEE, but I accidentally pressed X, meaning I just did a normal attack & I almost got wiped out, so I had to escape. Seriously annoying when I could've won via sessions & healing.

Vena

Its a bit unfortunate that due to the weapon triangle, Tsubasa and Touma make a terrible co-team members. In fact both of them are just kind of annoying to carry around due to their multiple common weaknesses, Tsubasa especially.

23qwerty

welp, there goes my accurate play time

left it running for about 5 hours and apparently this game isn't very smart about play time.

Top Bottom