• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

FluxWaveZ

lol im at the end of chapter 4 @ level 35~, im pretty sure im ten levels behind, since sidequests are recommending level 47.

You're probably not underleveled. That particular side story means that you're probably further in their progression than the game intended you to be. I managed to find a slight continuity error because I had done a side story that quickly glanced over some very story important details, which were later explored in detail in an actual story scene later on.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You're probably not underleveled. That particular side story means that you're probably further in their progression than the game intended you to be. I managed to find a slight continuity error because I had done a side story that quickly glanced over some very story important details, which were later explored in detail in an actual story scene later on.
Nah, chapter 3 end is 33.

mrmickfran

*Chapter 1 dungeon*

"Tsubasa's new carnage is ready!"

Okay, I'll go to Bloom Palace and equip it, then come back to the dungeon.

"Itsuki and Tsubasa's Radiant Unity is available!"

Okay, time to go back to the Bloom Palace and return to dungeon afterwards again.

"Touma's new carnage is ready"

CAN I FINISH THIS FUCKING DUNGEON

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
*Chapter 1 dungeon*

Okay, time to go back to the Bloom Palace and return to dungeon afterwards again.

I just go back if someone is all carnage maxed out.

artsi

*Chapter 1 dungeon*

The bloom palace travel is crap, they should have done it so you can access it directly from the dungeon and then go back right away. Kind of like Velvet Room in Persona 3 / 4.

*Chapter 1 dungeon*

Yeah this is really annoying!

Shin-chan

*Chapter 1 dungeon*

My only major complaint with the game so far. It's really stupid.

-shadow-

So how can I activate the Tiki side quest? I'm in the intermission right now, but no clue how I'm supposed to activate the different side quests. I've found some magazines which gave me a short look at a fashion show, but that's all...

So how can I activate the Tiki side quest? I'm in the intermission right now, but no clue how I'm supposed to activate the different side quests. I've found some magazines which gave me a short look at a fashion show, but that's all...

There is a laptop in Fortuna that will tell you what you need to do in order to access the sidequests.

mrmickfran

But it's still a pain to travel back.

The bloom palace travel is crap, they should have done it so you can access it directly from the dungeon and then go back right away. Kind of like Velvet Room in Persona 3 / 4.

YES, I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!!

Yeah this is really annoying!

My only major complaint with the game so far. It's really stupid.

The worst part is that all this happened within the first five steps in the dungeon.

Sölf

*Chapter 1 dungeon*

I already decided for myself I will only do this in chunks if I either have to return to heal or if I find a new shortcut/teleporter. Doesn't bother me that much anymore.

I played this just enough to see a glimpse of the systems and I have to say this both awesome and Persona. It is amazing to me that so many people are expressing interest in Persona 5 and totally ignoring this game simply because it is on a Nintendo system.

Omnicent

This, it doesn't matter if its unlocked in BP. Only go when a carnage is maxed so you do not waste points.
Also try to craft spare carnage's before going into a dungeon for your party.
If a new Radiant Unity is available I just wait till I unlock the next warp point in a dungeon before exiting.

Doing this I have had no issues/complaints.

muteki

Haven't had any time, just finished prelude. Boss wasn't too much trouble, though I was surprised to see 1HP hits on the first boss. Saving anywhere is nice, as is the green healing blob things (which hopefully I don't have to dump cash in in the future). Battle seems to really push you towards Sessions which means constantly using EP, so managing that will become important, but that's no different than a Persona game I guess.

I'm going to be missing this second screen when looking up weaknesses in P5 for sure.

*Chapter 1 dungeon*

Wait untill weapons have +1,+2,+3 and you have 6 party members which constantly need new shit at different intervals.

I put about 5 hours into this, this weekend. Really pleased with how Persona-esque this game is. Localization changes still puzzle me, but at least the core game play is on point.

Deku89

*Chapter 1 dungeon*

Agreed. I've started to just ignore the messages, then go back and buy in bulk. Still takes way too long (should have had a fast travel or a door in each dungeon that takes you to the bloom palace). Side quests can also be pretty annoying going back there every time.

Shin-chan

You can use Traport (?) to get there quickly but you still need to walk all the way back and that costs EP. Not a big thing but still annoying.

-shadow-

And I lost nearly an hour of progress because a Savage encounter spawned directly underneath me while I was doing a side quest. Absolute horse crap...

FluxWaveZ

EP conservation and money is such a non-factor in this game that it makes all the quality of life abilities like "regain a bit of health at the end of a battle" or "if this character is dead at the end of a battle, they revive with 1 HP" utterly useless. I can't imagine that changes in Hard; you can always exit a dungeon whenever and quickly end up where you were thanks to warp portals and shortcuts.

And I lost nearly an hour of progress because a Savage encounter spawned directly underneath me while I was doing a side quest. Absolute horse crap...

Smoke machines are indispensable.

FluxWaveZ

You know, I'm pretty surprised with where they go concerning Eleonora and the "halfu" stuff sometimes (Side Story spoiler): http://i.imgur.com/mjbikpR.jpg

Didn't think it'd be very important, but it's pretty crucial regarding her identity and motivations. It's like the stuff P Studio seems to want to tackle with Anne Takamaki in Persona 5.

muteki

Because I'm a bit OCD when it comes to this...do you gain anything from displaying 100% of the dungeon map? Games where it fills in while you walk around, something trips in the back of my mind and I have to walk around every little nook to fill it in.

Robin64

Because I'm a bit OCD when it comes to this...do you gain anything from displaying 100% of the dungeon map? Games where it fills in while you walk around, something trips in the back of my mind and I have to walk around every little nook to fill it in.

Doesn't seem so, but I do it too. Hate having even just one tiny corner that hasn't been uncovered.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
*Chapter 1 dungeon*

Yep, the 6 loading screens that exist between the dungeon and quickly crafting your next skill or upgrade is pure horseshit. Really hard to believe they didn't factor in a better shortcut.

So I'm really interested in this game. I love the art direction and concept but rarely play JRPGs and have never played a Fire Emblem game. Should I just grab it? Anyone else coming from a similar point of view?

Litri

Want to jump in but probably will go digital. Questions ->

-Is the combat and dungeon exploration too tedious, how much if any? Some reviews mentioned that.

-I heard that the game has some imaginative puzzles within the different levels/environments but how is the turn-based combat? Is it interesting, fresh?

Thanks.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
In chapter 1, Touma's first carnage unity (god these names) requires a drop from the 106 lower level. I've been here in the section with the blue and red dresses for far too long. Which enemy drops what I need?

Edit: I assume lower level means before the first boss. And I've gotten both performa drops from all of the enemies I've faced so I assume it's something I haven't seen yet.

In chapter 1, Touma's first carnage unity (god these names) requires a drop from the 106 lower level. I've been here in the section with the blue and red dresses for far too long. Which enemy drops what I need?

Edit: I assume lower level means before the first boss. And I've gotten both performa drops from all of the enemies I've faced so I assume it's something I haven't seen yet.

do you know which weapon, exactly?

there's a decent wiki (in japanese) here http://spwiki.net/sharpfe/

Want to jump in but probably will go digital. Questions ->

-Is the combat and dungeon exploration too tedious, how much if any? Some reviews mentioned that.

-I heard that the game has some imaginative puzzles within the different levels/environments but how is the turn-based combat? Is it interesting, fresh?

Thanks.
I personally love the combat, but I'm a huge Megaten fan so I was fully expecting to.

At its core, it's a system about exploiting weaknesses. So you cast spells enemies are weak to in order to do more damage. This game does have some unique mechanics to make it more complicated. Every time you hit a weakness, characters can followup with with specific skills to start session combos. This is huge because you can hit with one attack to start a damaging chain. There are more mechanics as well, such as Ad-Lib Performances which randomly trigger and so on. They all tend to work pretty well.

I'm only on Chapter 3, but I don't find it tedious at all. I've heard some complaints that the session combos go on a little too long later on, but you can skip through the animations for moves with long startups at least.

I really like the dungeons so far. Much better than the Persona games in that regard. I find the dungeon crawling to be pretty addictive myself.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I personally love the combat, but I'm a huge Megaten fan so I was fully expecting to.

At its core, it's a system about exploiting weaknesses. So you cast spells enemies are weak to in order to do more damage. This game does have some unique mechanics to make it more complicated. Every time you hit a weakness, characters can followup with with specific skills to start session combos. This is huge because you can hit with one attack to start a damaging chain. There are more mechanics as well, such as Ad-Lib Performances which randomly trigger and so on. They all tend to work pretty well.

I'm only on Chapter 3, but I don't find it tedious at all. I've heard some complaints that the session combos go on a little too long later on, but you can skip through the animations for moves with long startups at least.

I really like the dungeons so far. Much better than the Persona games in that regard. I find the dungeon crawling to be pretty addictive myself.

I was just thinking the opposite. I really dig this game, but I can't help feeling that I'm constantly lost in the dungeons. It's not that they're too big it's that everything looks the same and the map system for something like the
photography
dungeon is useless because you're constantly changing floors.

Whizkid7

I'm up to Chapter 2 now and two questions:

The sidequests from the
masked salesclerk
- those are, I'm assuming, repeatable? Since they didn't go away after the first time.

And second, what the heck is with that sidequest in Daitama that puts you against lvl 24 Dark Mages...Like damn, I was only lvl 16. I didn't stand a chance!

Top Bottom