• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Mupod

the neat thing about the combat system is once you figure out how overkills work it makes finding out enemy weaknesses a lot faster and less tedious than previous megaten/persona games. I seem to run through the whole list of elements in a couple of session combos and if I combine this with overkills I can do it safely without regard for repel/null.

Anyways, I've been actively seeking the savage enemy fights but I'm curious about some things. Do they appear more often once you've cleared the dungeon? The chapter 1 dungeon is lousy with them and I can trigger their spawns consistently enough that I was able to grind to ~20 really fast before the start of chapter 2. Made that area quite easy so far even though I'm still on hard mode.

Kind of crazy that in chapter 1 it was throwing level 21-27 enemies from chapter 2 in those savage encounters. Whereas in chapter 2 those same enemies appear as 17-21. I almost switched off of hard mode when I took 3 steps into the chapter 1 dungeon and a savage encounter spawned under my feet - it was a group of 27 red Myrmidons. I was level 14 and hadn't upgraded my Carnages yet...yeah.

There's another savage enemy group in that area which is tough but more manageable - a group of 21 fire mages that spam Maragi and sleep status. Those were actually pretty fun to fight and made me appreciate this game's battle system a lot more. But I haven't run into a single savage enemy in chapter 2, do I need to clear it so I can hunt them again?

Also, funny story - ran into a mid-boss enemy that was attacking twice per round. Unintentionally poisoned it somehow (probably Touma's lance) and it started taking 300 damage EACH turn. So 600 every time its turn came around. I'm guessing that won't work on 'real' bosses...

ZeroX03

Banned
Was looking at picking this up but having to choose between physical (which I don't like) or paying $30 more to get it digital and shorter load times is really frustrating. Putting me off buying the game altogether and just waiting years for the first digital sale.

I finished Chapter 2 last night with about 10 hours of play time.
So what's up with Tiki? I get that she's a Miku, but she's also a Mirage? Is the software just based on her appearance and voice and all the stuff in her profile is just a joke? How does she access the internet to keep track of her fans? Does the game shine light on this subject or will I forever wonder?

Robin64

Was looking at picking this up but having to choose between physical (which I don't like) or paying $30 more to get it digital and shorter load times is really frustrating. Putting me off buying the game altogether and just waiting years for the first digital sale.

The load times on physical are fine anyway. No more or less than any other JRPG on modern consoles. It's just that digital is slightly better, but definitely not that much better to ignore phystical.

sora87

The load times on physical are fine anyway. No more or less than any other JRPG on modern consoles. It's just that digital is slightly better, but definitely not that much better to ignore phystical.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised by how fast the load times are

Alright so I just started playing this morning and something is kinda bothering me...

Why isn't Tsubasa the main character? Like everything is clearly focused on her from the opening cutscene to the story so far and why everything happens but this entire time I'm playing as Itsuki who is clearly the main character (person you play as, Lord class, the character you make decisions for, ect) who really isn't much of a character at all so far besides being Tsubasa's friend. Hell the reason he agrees to even join the group is because of Tsubasa. Everything in the game so far revolves around Tsubasa like shes the main character.

So why aren't we playing as Tsubasa or why isn't Itsuki characterized like a main character would be? I can understand if Itsuki is just meant to be a blank slate like in the previous Persona games but in those the blank slate protagonist is clearly the main character because everything revolves around him from the opening cut scenes to the story and what not, here Itsuki just feels like a tag along.

I'm not sure its actually a bad thing its just somewhat jarring, it almost feels like if you played Persona 4 from the perspective of Yosuke or something along those lines it just feels... off.

I don't know maybe its just me or maybe I just haven't gotten far enough for the game to actually characterize Itsuki it just really doesn't feel at all like hes the main character and I can't help but feel I should be playing as Tsubasa.

I was just thinking the opposite. I really dig this game, but I can't help feeling that I'm constantly lost in the dungeons. It's not that they're too big it's that everything looks the same and the map system for something like the
photography
dungeon is useless because you're constantly changing floors.

I can't say I've really had that issue myself (just finished that dungeon yesterday). I enjoy just exploring the areas and the puzzles so far have been a breath of fresh air after the random arrangements in Persona 3/4. They're a lot more satisfying to explore and complete.

Sölf

So, beat the chapter 2 boss and did a few of the side missions. I unlocked another one and still have the sidequest with the writer to do. Aside from that, I have nearly all available weapons maxed out. The only thing I could maybe craft requires rare enemies (I've beaten two so far and already crafted weapons with that). Will continue with this later.

FluxWaveZ

So how this game chooses which Artist to prioritize Sessions with is confusing me right now.

Scenario 1: Targeting an enemy, with Itsuki, who is weak to sword attacks with Focused Blade +1 (Phys/Sword Heavy). This results in Touma automatically being assigned as the follow-up, except his fire attack would result in 0 damage on the enemy because they are null to fire.
http://i.imgur.com/iOPgX3u.jpg

Scenario 2: Targeting the same enemy, with Itsuki, using the Special Performance "Empty Wave" (Phys/Sword Heavy). Except, this time, the follow-up is
Mamori
with an ice attack.
http://i.imgur.com/BS1Ib0F.jpg

I don't get it.

I don't know maybe its just me or maybe I just haven't gotten far enough for the game to actually characterize Itsuki it just really doesn't feel at all like hes the main character and I can't help but feel I should be playing as Tsubasa.

It makes FAR more sense to play as Itsuki than as Tsubasa, considering the fact that he essentially acts as a producer for the rest of the specialized cast.

dark_haze

Neo Member
Wow. 22:44 clocked in and I'm only at Chap. 2's Intermission.

There's so many positive things I can say about the game, it's very free spirited and just great fun. The characters are so likable and even relatable at times. Had a feeling Tsubasa would be my favorite after the game's official reveal but everyone is fantastic(Kiria!). Itsuki's bland but the purposefulness of making him a bland nice guy works though.

Only grime is that I wish there was more than one normal battle theme - like change themes each chapter for variety. Fujisawa's work is pretty great, but for a game focused on music, you'd think they'd up the ante outside the songs as well.

Lastly, the music videos are really something else! Studio Anima did a great job - can't wait to see Give Me soon.

WVW69jVpRXcqULBHx5

Socivol

I struggled with that for a while as well. Really seems like there's no way to access a second purple switch yet. I have to imagine that the necessary pose/switch is hidden behind a currently-unbreakable wall.

It's possible to get those two chests. You have to move the purple hands into the position that you need them in and then use the warp point on the 6th floor to warp back to the 3rd floor. Take the stairs back to the 5th floor (I believe) and you should be able to go up the purple switch to get to the floor.

I'm trying to remember without the game being in front of me but you can get it. You get a 4,500 yen and another item.

ZeroX03

Banned

Nine seconds to enter a battle isn't what I consider fine. That adds up a lot on something like a JRPG.

Shun

Alright so I just started playing this morning and something is kinda bothering me...

Why isn't Tsubasa the main character? Like everything is clearly focused on her from the opening cutscene to the story so far and why everything happens but this entire time I'm playing as Itsuki who is clearly the main character (person you play as, Lord class, the character you make decisions for, ect) who really isn't much of a character at all so far besides being Tsubasa's friend. Hell the reason he agrees to even join the group is because of Tsubasa. Everything in the game so far revolves around Tsubasa like shes the main character.

So why aren't we playing as Tsubasa or why isn't Itsuki characterized like a main character would be? I can understand if Itsuki is just meant to be a blank slate like in the previous Persona games but in those the blank slate protagonist is clearly the main character because everything revolves around him from the opening cut scenes to the story and what not, here Itsuki just feels like a tag along.

I'm not sure its actually a bad thing its just somewhat jarring, it almost feels like if you played Persona 4 from the perspective of Yosuke or something along those lines it just feels... off.

That's kind of the entire point of the character. Like in comedy, Itsuki is supposed to play as the "straight" character where he is supposed to be serious, proper, and act as a character and personality foil to most of the rest of the colorful cast. He really doesn't care about any of the entertainment world around him other than wanting to help his friends realize their dreams and succeed as he never really wanted to get into it and was just thrust into the situation whereas everyone else already had a goal to become an entertainer, or was already one.

You don't necessarily have to like Itsuki, the importers thought he was bland too and wished he was more colorful, but it's a character design choice that they did on purpose to help the rest of the cast shine a bit brighter. Itsuki does get a bit more interesting later on, but through and through he plays the role of the straight.

I finished Chapter 2 last night with about 10 hours of play time.
So what's up with Tiki? I get that she's a Miku, but she's also a Mirage? Is the software just based on her appearance and voice and all the stuff in her profile is just a joke? How does she access the internet to keep track of her fans? Does the game shine light on this subject or will I forever wonder?

You'll find out in a side story
So how this game chooses which Artist to prioritize Sessions with is confusing me right now.

Scenario 1: Targeting an enemy, with Itsuki, who is weak to sword attacks with Focused Blade +1 (Phys/Sword Heavy). This results in Touma automatically being assigned as the follow-up, except his fire attack would result in 0 damage on the enemy because they are null to fire.

Scenario 2: Targeting the same enemy, with Itsuki, using the Special Performance "Empty Wave" (Phys/Sword Heavy). Except, this time, the follow-up is
Mamori
with an ice attack.

I don't get it.

It makes FAR more sense to play as Itsuki than as Tsubasa, considering the fact that he essentially acts as a producer for the rest of the specialized cast.

I believe the reason why it is like that is because of the tier of the ability you're using, skill vs sp. You can try testing it out with different tier physical sword skills, but Special Performances almost always guarantee session chains and when doing so, you also ignore resistances in your chain when you do it with a Special Performance.

I never got a chance to test it when I imported the game, but you can try reorganizing the order of the sessions for your characters to see if it changes the skill priority.

Draxal

That's kind of the entire point of the character. Like in comedy, Itsuki is supposed to play as the "straight" character where he is supposed to be serious, proper, and act as a character and personality foil to most of the rest of the colorful cast. He really doesn't care about any of the entertainment world around him other than wanting to help his friends realize their dreams and succeed as he never really wanted to get into it and was just thrust into the situation whereas everyone else already had a goal to become an entertainer, or was already one.

You don't necessarily have to like Itsuki, the importers thought he was bland too and wished he was more colorful, but it's a character design choice that they did on purpose to help the rest of the cast shine a bit brighter. Itsuki does get a bit more interesting later on, but through and through he plays the role of the straight.

Itsuki shooting down everybody when they're acting weird is great (Barry rating something by anime episodes, and Itsuki is like wtf are you talking about).

And as mentioned before, he's rather poetic when talking about beverages and food.

FluxWaveZ

I believe the reason why it is like that is because of the tier of the ability you're using, skill vs sp. You can try testing it out with different tier physical sword skills, but Special Performances almost always guarantee session chains and when doing so, you also ignore resistances in your chain when you do it with a Special Performance.

I never got a chance to test it when I imported the game, but you can try reorganizing the order of the sessions for your characters to see if it changes the skill priority.

Oh, right. The Special Performance nullifies enemy resistances, which means that the follow-up in my situation could be rearranged automatically. If it weren't for that, it seems that there wouldn't have been anyone else to follow up that wouldn't have hit an enemy strength, so that's why it was always Touma with a regular skill.

Though, what do you mean by "reorganizing the order of the sessions for your characters"? Is that a thing?

Shun

Oh, right. The Special Performance nullifies enemy resistances, which means that the follow-up in my situation could be rearranged automatically. If it weren't for that, it seems that there wouldn't have been anyone else to follow up that wouldn't have hit an enemy strength, so that's why it was always Touma with a regular skill.

Though, what do you mean by "reorganizing the order of the sessions for your characters"? Is that a thing?

Under the artists tab you can rearrange the order for the skills you have. I never reorganized my list, but I thought that maybe it would reorder the priority. It probably wouldn't and t's only there for organizing but I just wanted to suggest it.

FluxWaveZ

Under the artists tab you can rearrange the order for the skills you have. I never reorganized my list, but I thought that maybe it would reorder the priority. It probably wouldn't and t's only there for organizing but I just wanted to suggest it.

Ah, I see. I might try it out in the arena or something to see if that changes anything though, yeah, I doubt it does.

Edit: Holy crap, Itsuki really does show the most expression when he's describing food. I like how this is kind of a subtle running joke.

JCX

It's kind of jarring playing this and Digimon Cyber Sleuth at the same time. Battle of the Tokyo Persona clones lol.

L95

Ah, I see. I might try it out in the arena or something to see if that changes anything though, yeah, I doubt it does.

Edit: Holy crap, Itsuki really does show the most expression when he's describing food. I like how this is kind of a subtle running joke.

Is this a thing in JRPGs? The protagonist of Digimon Cyber Sleuth was like that too...

FluxWaveZ

Is this a thing in JRPGs? The protagonist of Digimon Cyber Sleuth was like that too...

I've played a fair amount, but I can't say that it's that common of a trope in JRPGs for the main protagonist. That kind of meticulous detail to food and the description thereof, though, seems to be a common thing in anime as a whole.

AGITΩ

Just beat Chapter 2, knowing how censored this part of the story became makes it feel less impactful on the overall feel. If i didn't know what it was originally supposed to be themed about, i would've been more confused on how Tsubasa felt uncomfortable taking pictures if they were so heavily clothed.

FluxWaveZ

AGITΩ;208494696 said:
Just beat Chapter 2, knowing how censored this part of the story became makes it feel less impactful on the overall feel. If i didn't know what it was originally supposed to be themed about, i would've been more confused on how Tsubasa felt uncomfortable taking pictures if they were so heavily clothed.

Yeah, so far that seems to be the only effect the localization changes have had on the story, but I can't say I didn't notice it the entire time. I could see Tsubasa being bashful about taking a modeling gig even in those clothes because it still means she has to put herself out there, but the subject was just hammered home to a point where all the embarrassment and courage behind what she was doing didn't really make much sense anymore.

That and the absolutely terrible and distracting wedding costume are the only problems I've had with the changes thus far.

coopolon

Can someone explain special performances?

I thought it said you get them when you get an overkill session, I've gotten numerous overkill sessions with Tsubasa and her sp has never been turned on.

Also, it seems you can store special performances between battles, so you should hold onto them until a boss?

Also, just ran into second savage enemies, I don't even understand. Both times they literally kill two thirds of my team before I can even put in a command.

Kyrios

I've played a fair amount, but I can't say that it's that common of a trope in JRPGs for the main protagonist. That kind of meticulous detail to food and the description thereof, though, seems to be a common thing in anime as a whole.

I mean, I got a huge in depth review of a simple cup of tea in the game, gave me a chuckle.

Razmos

I thought it said you get them when you get an overkill session, I've gotten numerous overkill sessions with Tsubasa and her sp has never been turned on.

Also, it seems you can store special performances between battles, so you should hold onto them until a boss?
You just activate them like normal skills

Vorpal

It's possible to get those two chests. You have to move the purple hands into the position that you need them in and then use the warp point on the 6th floor to warp back to the 3rd floor. Take the stairs back to the 5th floor (I believe) and you should be able to go up the purple switch to get to the floor.

I'm trying to remember without the game being in front of me but you can get it. You get a 4,500 yen and another item.

Hmm, okay. I'll look around again. Like that other poster said, I haven't even found a purple switch that would raise either arm high enough to reach the 7th floor. Highest I've seen is floor 6.

Ulysses 31

It´s the meter that builts up in the top right corner when doing session attacks. Yeah can save lives in savage and boss fights.

Mupod

there's a meter on the top right that fills up and fuels them. Tsubasa's costs 2SP which might be why you aren't getting hers to show up.

I like to hoard mine for savage enemies or bosses that have adds. Sometimes if I'm capped out on SP I'll use one just to speed up a random battle.

coopolon

It´s the meter that builts up in the top right corner when doing session attacks. Yeah can save lives in savage and boss fights.

Thanks! That's what I was missing.

Who does the overkill session contribute to? The person who did the first attack or the person whose delivering the blow that kills?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Thanks! That's what I was missing.

Who does the overkill session contribute to? The person who did the first attack or the person whose delivering the blow that kills?
The SP meter is shared. But in terms of play records, it goes to the person whose turn it was that started the session.

SPCTRE

I played this just enough to see a glimpse of the systems and I have to say this both awesome and Persona. It is amazing to me that so many people are expressing interest in Persona 5 and totally ignoring this game simply because it is on a Nintendo system.
my interest in Persona specifically is the reason I bought this game

AGITΩ;208494696 said:

I mean, people can still be uncomfortable or nervous in front of a camera even with clothes on.

I don't think that affects priority.

Mamori
with an ice attack.

You wouldn't get the ice follow up anyway with that enemy normally since it's Null Ice too.

Rue

Nine seconds to enter a battle isn't what I consider fine. That adds up a lot on something like a JRPG.

Is it really nine seconds though? I was initially hesitant about this when buying physical but I honestly thought it was patched or mostly fixed since it never felt very long.

Guess I'll have to time it on my next play session.

Litri

I personally love the combat, but I'm a huge Megaten fan so I was fully expecting to.

At its core, it's a system about exploiting weaknesses. So you cast spells enemies are weak to in order to do more damage. This game does have some unique mechanics to make it more complicated. Every time you hit a weakness, characters can followup with with specific skills to start session combos. This is huge because you can hit with one attack to start a damaging chain. There are more mechanics as well, such as Ad-Lib Performances which randomly trigger and so on. They all tend to work pretty well.

I'm only on Chapter 3, but I don't find it tedious at all. I've heard some complaints that the session combos go on a little too long later on, but you can skip through the animations for moves with long startups at least.

I really like the dungeons so far. Much better than the Persona games in that regard. I find the dungeon crawling to be pretty addictive myself.

Thanks! I think this wil be my game for July.

I played this just enough to see a glimpse of the systems and I have to say this both awesome and Persona. It is amazing to me that so many people are expressing interest in Persona 5 and totally ignoring this game simply because it is on a Nintendo system.

I was gonna pass on TMS mainly because I find the Persona games bloated and mind numbingly repetitive. Glad I didn't because I'm loving it. Still not really interested in P5 though.

Shin-chan

One other presentation issue I have is how at the start of a battle the camera is focused on your face close up and you have to wait or select a skill to quickly see what you're up against.

Obviously there's the icons on the turn list but that's pretty small and not always obvious.

The camera should show you the whole battle for a moment before zooming in to your current character.

Bigg_Oggy

One other presentation issue I have is how at the start of a battle the camera is focused on your face close up and you have to wait or select a skill to quickly see what you're up against.

Obviously there's the icons on the turn list but that's pretty small and not always obvious.

The camera should show you the whole battle for a moment before zooming in to your current character.

Agreed. Would prefer to see enemies immediately, instead of the close up on my character.

Only adds a few wasted seconds to the battle, so I'll probably just get used to squinting at the small icons.

I went to try and play this last night and plugged my headphones into the gamepad, but no sound was coming. I can't play with the TV speakers on because I only get to play when everyone is asleep. Is there anyway to get sound through headphones only? I know that the game has English subs but I want to listen to the music and such.

Mupod

I went to try and play this last night and plugged my headphones into the gamepad, but no sound was coming. I can't play with the TV speakers on because I only get to play when everyone is asleep. Is there anyway to get sound through headphones only? I know that the game has English subs but I want to listen to the music and such.

My TV has an optical out that I run into a headphone amp. As for why the Wii U lacks one, and why only some games have gamepad audio, who the hell knows. Fortunately my HD555 has a long enough cord to reach to where I sit, but only just barely.

Other options (cheaper than an HDMI receiver) could be to get component cables instead of HDMI and plug the audio cables into something else. I used to do this with wireless headphones that had RCA inputs.

-shadow-

My TV has an optical out that I run into a headphone amp. As for why the Wii U lacks one, and why only some games have gamepad audio, who the hell knows. Fortunately my HD555 has a long enough cord to reach to where I sit, but only just barely.

Same reason why everything about the WiiU feels half baked. Nintendo can't be bloody bothered putting a couple of simply guidelines in their software/hardware to have everything be simple and universal across the system. It's really dumb.
But that's a very different subject altogether.

Top Bottom