• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Frimaire

yeyeye! finally got my copy in the mail.
Pretty painful waiting through the weekend for it, though it probably didn't help that I kept reading this thread the whole time...

Makonero

Macca Lear drops are random right? Anyone having luck with these? As in, finding a spot where I can grind those?
They always spawn in the same locales. I found a place in the fourth dungeon (the Chapter 3 one) fairly close to the second teleported spot and was able to farm them pretty easily.

Sadist

Thanks!

But now... I'm trying to complete Tsubasa's third sudequest.
The devilish cat one
. Can't find the critter anywhere.

daemonic

Banned
Just finished Chapter 1 in Hard mode. Doing some side quests now. Everything getting better. Really liking the battle system, especially session skills and the ability to upgrade skills (+1).

My only major complaints are this point are the frequent loading screens and the excessive notifications on the gamepad. I'm using the pro controller and it's frustrating having to look down at the gamepad just to read a few conversations, most of which don't matter.

Is there any way to avoid the strong mirages in dungeons? They move fast and more often than not ambush me from behind.

For the people who have gotten far in the game, how do you guys feel about leveling all your characters evenly versus picking the three you think will be your endgame party? I just got the 4th character, and I don't want to be insanely overpowered if I only use the same three characters in battle if the game is made thinking you'll be spreading all the experience across all the characters.

So I've had to reject a few skills that I feel I've made uneducated guesses as to if I'll eventually need them or not. How do you go about getting them back or re learning skills from an earlier weapon you may want? 👀

Quick question: Is Itsuki locked in you main party forever or is that temporary? It used to make sense to me to lock in the main protagonist but with only 3 party members total it really limits my options(unless your party size eventually increases to 4?)

Robin64

Quick question: Is Itsuki locked in you main party forever or is that temporary? It used to make sense to me to lock in the main protagonist but with only 3 party members total it really limits my options(unless your party size eventually increases to 4?)

Forever.

But worth noting that switching party members during battle doesn't cost a turn, you can act right away. This is pretty powerful and means a small party size isn't such a bad thing. Coupled with the fact that eventually people not in your party can join in with Sessions too, it all works out quite well.

So I've had to reject a few skills that I feel I've made uneducated guesses as to if I'll eventually need them or not. How do you go about getting them back or re learning skills from an earlier weapon you may want? ��

Eventually you can make new +1 (and more) versions of older weapons, which allow you to relearn skills they have.

Forever.

But worth noting that switching party members during battle doesn't cost a turn, you can act right away. This is pretty powerful and means a small party size isn't such a bad thing. Coupled with the fact that eventually people not in your party can join in with Sessions too, it all works out quite well.

Hmm bummer, I've made good use of switching my team mates liberally but it still sucks that Itsuki can't even be switched out in battle. Hopefully this becomes less of an annoyance as I keep going though.

He's not a blank slate gameplay wise like most other SMT protags either so that's also quite a handicap.

Rainy

Banned
Question about a Daitama quest

When that girl asks you to go to Daitama's round elevator what does she mean? Does that have to do with the idolasphere in Daitama?

Robin64

Question about a Daitama quest

When that girl asks you to go to Daitama's round elevator what does she mean? Does that have to do with the idolasphere in Daitama?

Yep, go back in there and down the first elevator you come to. All will be made clear.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Eventually you can make new +1 (and more) versions of older weapons, which allow you to relearn skills they have.
But is there a limit? Basically, could you lock yourself out of a skill's level cap because you erased a skill and don't have enough +x weapons to level it back up?

Deku89

Thanks!

But now... I'm trying to complete Tsubasa's third sudequest.
The devilish cat one
. Can't find the critter anywhere.

I thought Tsubasa would help me a little bit (tell me where to go an such). Ends up me doing the whole thing . . . I circled the whole place like five times.

kollapse

Neo Member
I know this is the common sentiment in this thread, but: this game is way more dope than I was expecting. It's just fun, and the production values are through the roof. I'm a casual idol fan though (Platinum Stars, pls, come out quicker), so I suppose that's influencing my enjoyment, but I genuinely think this is the total package. Hopefully it's not getting overlooked.

I've only had time to get as far as the (first?) Chapter 1 dungeon, but hearing all the talk about other party members, I'm curious: do party members come matched to the level of your party when you get them? Don't want to over level at this point by mistake and end up with a bunch of guys that are behind.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked, and apologies, but: are the level up stat increases truly RNG based like FE? It would be rough having to redo whole dungeons just for a bad level up after a boss...

Renewed

I know this is the common sentiment in this thread, but: this game is way more dope than I was expecting. It's just fun, and the production values are through the roof. I'm a casual idol fan though (Platinum Stars, pls, come out quicker), so I suppose that's influencing my enjoyment, but I genuinely think this is the total package. Hopefully it's not getting overlooked.

I've only had time to get as far as the (first?) Chapter 1 dungeon, but hearing all the talk about other party members, I'm curious: do party members come matched to the level of your party when you get them? Don't want to over level at this point by mistake and end up with a bunch of guys that are behind.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked, and apologies, but: are the level up stat increases truly RNG based like FE? It would be rough having to redo whole dungeons just for a bad level up after a boss...

Word of mouth and positive reception along with the game being in the spotlight prior to launch for localization concerns would give it attention but I dunno for how long. There's the whole Wii U drought so maybe that can give it some help.

I think party members come in at specific levels because I got the first two and they were 2 levels above me and 1 level above me.

Stat growths seem to be RNG but it seems like affecting your Luck can help gaining more growth on a level up (+1 on one stat becomes +3/+4)

kollapse

Neo Member
Word of mouth and positive reception along with the game being in the spotlight prior to launch for localization concerns would give it attention but I dunno for how long. There's the whole Wii U drought so maybe that can give it some help.

I think party members come in as specific levels because I got the first two and they were 2 levels above me and 1 level above me.

Stat growths seem to be RNG but it seems like affecting your Luck can help gaining more growth on a level up (+1 on one stat becomes +3/+4)

I really hope it does well! With Japan sales being as soft as they were, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of the collaboration, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the answers. I doubt I'm going to sorry enough about stat growth to re-run a dungeon, but I've already gotten a couple increases that were pretty lame, so we'll see if that keeps up.

Got my copy finally.

So what diffcultly gives a decent challange without being frustrating. I don't want to streamroll, but also don't to be grinding forever.

Hard in Fire Emblem is normal mode mostly.
In SMT...I don't know

I really hope it does well! With Japan sales being as soft as they were, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of the collaboration, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the answers. I doubt I'm going to sorry enough about stat growth to re-run a dungeon, but I've already gotten a couple increases that were pretty lame, so we'll see if that keeps up.

I do think that the random stats even out eventually, because after a string of bad stat growths, I usually get something like +3-5 across multiple stats. Or maybe that's just coincidence.

Renewed

Got my copy finally.

So what diffcultly gives a decent challange without being frustrating. I don't want to streamroll, but also don't to be grinding forever.

Hard in Fire Emblem is normal mode mostly.
In SMT...I don't know

Hard has been a good time so far since things aren't overly easy but I'm still in control and can blast through. I haven't really been doing grinding. Sometimes I just dodge enemies but I usually fight so that I'm still training my Carnages.

I finally got my copy today, just not sure when I'll be able to start it because I need to finish Persona 3 first. I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it so far though.

Eolz

Quick question since I finally received the game, sorry if that has already been asked/replied to:
Is there full audio coming out of the gamepad during normal play (not off-tv play)? Some games do that, and it's way better for me in terms of usability.

Mediking

Quick question since I finally received the game, sorry if that has already been asked/replied to:
Is there full audio coming out of the gamepad during normal play (not off-tv play)? Some games do that, and it's way better for me in terms of usability.

The audio comes through the tv... no off-TV play is criminal.... :(

I'm always surprised by how under leveled I am. Just got to chapter 2's mid boss with my team all level 16, and kept getting 2 shot by regular hitting moves. Guess I need to fight a bit more of the random enemies each floor. I'm always scared in these types of games that'll I'll end up overpowered and have no more challenge for the rest of the game.

I can prob make this miniboss work out by spamming sleep though.

Zomba13

I played this just enough to see a glimpse of the systems and I have to say this both awesome and Persona. It is amazing to me that so many people are expressing interest in Persona 5 and totally ignoring this game simply because it is on a Nintendo system.

I can't help feel maybe this would get more notice or a better reception if they put Persona in the title somewhere. Like, the Mirage Master stuff is basically a Persona user. there are Social Links lite in the character side stories, the combat is very mush like Persona more so than SMT (with the fixed characters and less focus on a personal demon army and fusing).

It's much more a Persona game with FE cameos than it is SMTxFE. I mean, yeah, it is its own thing, taking elements from SMT and Fire Emblem and mashing them together with something new but it just oozes Persona charm and style.

Shun

Master Seals are rare in this game; that doesn't sound very wise, unless you don't care about promoting all members of the cast.

You get 16 total in this game if you look for them via story/sidequest/treasure. You'll be fine. You can also test your luck and get even more via lottery.

Beartruck

I'm always surprised by how under leveled I am. Just got to chapter 2's mid boss with my team all level 16, and kept getting 2 shot by regular hitting moves. Guess I need to fight a bit more of the random enemies each floor. I'm always scared in these types of games that'll I'll end up overpowered and have no more challenge for the rest of the game.

I can prob make this miniboss work out by spamming sleep though.
The bosses on ch 2 are a bit of a difficulty spike, you should be ok past them.

KLoWn

I just had an info tab show up and tell me that "Time is almost up", and then like 2 minutes later it said "Time's up"... Times up for what? Wtf?

20 mins into the story and it feels like Kingdom Hearts with the light coming out of chests and darkness cant handle light, and dementors.

Also They kept the "Gods" lines used in Awakening. Fitting, but I remember it being weird because of the "s". Too many gods in Fire Emblem

Edit: Forgrt explaining things, the characters already know what to do.

Hit my first difficulty spike (I changed difficulty from normal to hard) for the first boss of chapter 2.
Now the game feels like a SMT game.

Changing players mid battle is pretty good. I hope there'll be more options in order to make the sessions last longer (like 7 hits combo or more ha ha).

Hit my first difficulty spike (I changed difficulty from normal to hard) for the first boss of chapter 2.
Now the game feels like a SMT game.

Changing players mid battle is pretty good. I hope there'll be more options in order to make the sessions last longer (like 7 hits combo or more ha ha).

Eventually you can get Radiant Skills that allow for Session skills to be done if the character is in the subcast

FluxWaveZ

You get 16 total in this game if you look for them via story/sidequest/treasure. You'll be fine. You can also test your luck and get even more via lottery.

I imagine that finding all of them is walkthrough stuff, though, and that average players won't just end up finding all 16 randomly. I think I've gotten 7 thus far, at chapter 6.

Top Bottom