• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Mupod

From reading this thread it surprises me, alot of non smt fans seem to be playing this game.

Well, a lot of people probably just want a good console JRPG. I will say that this seems way more for Atlus fans than FE fans in terms of setting, gameplay and themes. The FE side of it feels like weird window dressing right now, I wonder if the story will ever head down the path of delving into the Mirages' individual backstories for example. Pre-release I didn't see much other than hate for this game from FE fans and I wonder if the good reception has made them take note of it. I'd imagine that someone who likes FE generally also likes JRPGs.

I wasn't sure if the idol stuff would be a big turn off for people, or even myself. But like Catherine I feel like it's just working for me because it's so different.

From reading this thread it surprises me, alot of non smt fans seem to be playing this game.

I'm one of them! The major difference in simple terms is that SMT and Persona games feel like work to me. Persona games in particular feel like brutally repetitive busy work. Given I'm only about 10 hours in, but TMS is much more enjoyable on a moment to moment basis. But there are some other factors.

One being that it may just be the right game at the right time. I haven't played a turn based console JRPG since... I literally can't remember when. So it's sort of refreshing in a way.

I'm not a big fan of anime or JPOP or idols or any of that, but I still find the setting and theme of the game novel in a simple and enjoyable way. I actually find an occasional line of dialogue to be pretty clever or intriguing even, but I like that it sticks to the insane candy coated saccharine aesthetic. It's a good way to mindlessly unwind.

The combat! I love it. It's fast, has a great rhythm and is just more fun to play than Persona. The systems are always evolving and I like it more than leveling up and fusing Personas. Dungeons are also obviously better.

I can go on, but won't. I'll see if the same feeling remains throughout the game. I'm also happy to hear that it can be finished in about 1/3 of the time it takes to finish a Persona game. Polygon totally sold me on this game with their review.

Raysoul

Got my Special Edition copy today. It's so hard to get it as there are no proper pre-order/reservation scheme on local video game stores here in our country (unless the game is very popular).

Can't wait to play this game on weekend with maximum volume! :D

Hobbun

Played a bit last night, just finished my first lesson with Barry. Also picked up a Request, but where do I view ongoing requests without going back to the person where I picked it up? I’m guessing you are able to pick up more than one Request, there has to be a way to track which ones you currently have going. Or if only to see where you picked your Requests up.

Played a bit last night, just finished my first lesson with Barry. Also picked up a Request, but where do I view ongoing requests without going back to the person where I picked it up? I’m guessing you are able to pick up more than one Request, there has to be a way to track which ones you currently have going. Or if only to see where you picked your Requests up.

There isn't one.

The quest markers are on the map at the very least.

muteki

I'm a good ways into the Chapter 1 dungeon. I was burning through EP like a madman and had to leave so I could stock up on some items, and Tiki kept bugging me to go back to her place. This game really moves fast, between the end of the last dungeon and this one was only like 20 minutes, and I'm not intentionally trying to rush it, but I'm still early.

Coming from Persona, it is pretty jarring to be talking to someone about an appointment coming up "tomorrow", and you head to the map and hop over to Shibuya and it's "well I got an appointment today..." I guess if they added a calendar/day cycle it really would be too Persona.

Hobbun

yeah, about that...

Then they really should have put like a request (quest) notebook on info where you picked it up, status of request at the time and even completed ones. It’s not a lot to expect, a lot of RPGs do something similar.

But besides that oversight, still having a lot of fun with the game.

vareon

Played the prologue. Loved it. It's so goddamn anime and I wouldn't have it any other way. Chaining sessions is fun, too.

Then they really should have put like a request (quest) notebook on info where you picked it up, status of request at the time and even completed ones. It’s not a lot to expect, a lot of RPGs do something similar.

But besides that oversight, still having a lot of fun with the game.
In terms of side quests, not just requests, you can only accept one at a time. When trying to start a second it says it will cancel the first one and you will have to start from the start of the first one if you want to continue (losing anything you got from the quest in the meantime).

The third sub-boss can kindly throw itself into the nearest bin.

So I was originally having a hard time due to my characters equipping weapons which were weak to Zan attacks. But even after doing that, Itsuki is eternally weak to spear attacks because of the Fire Emblem weapon triangle and the fixed weapons per character.

So in every single battle, where I begin the first round by using three buffs (one to raise defense, one to raise our party's hit + evade, one to decrease the enemy party's hit + evade), Itsuki still gets targeted by the Pegasus Knight, resulting in taking four attacks.

Yeah, I was having a hell of a time with this one but managed to beat it this morning.

I found it helped to take down one of the mages on the first turn and then focus on taking out the rest of the adds one by one while also negating the enemies' buffs/debuffs.

Once you get the Pegasus Knight by itself, it shouldn't be too hard to end it. Though it'll bring out the reinforcements if you take too long to finish it off.

Hobbun

In terms of side quests, not just requests, you can only accept one at a time. When trying to start a second it says it will cancel the first one and you will have to start from the start of the first one if you want to continue (losing anything you got from the quest in the meantime).

If you are able to only get one side quest or request at a time, then that’s not too bad on keeping track of it.

Now does it give you at least a warning message of “You have a current side quest/request active, do you wish to start a different one, instead?”

I just don’t want to run into the issue if I don’t play for a bit, I forget I have a side quest/request going, and then pick up another one by accident and therefore cancelling the first one.

That's the side stories with characters.

For the general sidequests from random NPCs, there's no restriction.

Dee Dee

I took the Wii U to a hut in the forest to game in peace and quiet, but I have nearly no internet, and all walkthroughs are video - SHIT.

Long story short, I just reached the first warp point in the chapter 2 dungeon, but I don't know where to go. There are two walls that I can only tear down from the other side.

Can someone tell me what to do without linking bandwidth intense pics or videos?

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
This may have been answered before, but just wanted to ask.

Is it better to go with the highest attack weapon you have at the time? Or go step by step and get all of the skills? I'm worried about missing out on some skill I may need later, but also that higher attack is very nice. :D

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Is it better to go with the highest attack weapon you have at the time? Or go step by step and get all of the skills? I'm worried about missing out on some skill I may need later, but also that higher attack is very nice. :D
Skills are more important, a couple stats isn't going to kill you.

I focus on weapons with skills that I want first. They're generally more important than the attack stat on a weapon.

Javier

As far as Weapons/Skills go, I always equip the weakest weapon, wait until all the Skills are learned, and then switch to the next one in Power. Probably not the best way to handle it, but it's worked for me so far.

Sölf

So, I reached chapter 3 and I am in the dungeon. Is there any reliable way to farm rare enemies? I encountered 2 rares in the C1 dungeon but haven't seen a single one since then. I still need to create 2 weapons with their drops, but I don't know if I can farm them or if they are just completely random. And if I can farm them, where can I do that?

BTA

I have friends who are huge fans so I've always meant to play them, but haven't (besides a few hours of Persona 1 PSP) and it's easier to jump in with a new one than dedicate a ton of time to an older one right now. I was gonna do that with P5, but this looked appealing ever since the change was announced so it was just a matter of whichever hit first.

I did play and enjoy Catherine, for what it's worth.

Sölf;208583919 said:
So, I reached chapter 3 and I am in the dungeon. Is there any reliable way to farm rare enemies? I encountered 2 rares in the C1 dungeon but haven't seen a single one since then. I still need to create 2 weapons with their drops, but I don't know if I can farm them or if they are just completely random. And if I can farm them, where can I do that?

Someone posted a gamefaqs method earlier and it worked out super well when I tried it. Just grab some attractor spray and you'll be rolling around in those rare enemies.

BTA

Someone posted a gamefaqs method earlier and it worked out super well when I tried it. Just grab some attractor spray and you'll be rolling around in those rare enemies.

Yup, was just about to post that. Go there and it'll only take you a few minutes. It's a little confusing to get to though; you need to drop down from the third floor thanks to the cameras.

Reszo

Omg I just got Ellie and she aint got no skills lol. And I'm falling waaayy behind with Tsubasa's weapons.

Will there be a easier way to level everyone's carnage weapons or do I just have to grind to level up the characters I dont really use?

I just dont want them to fall too far behind but Kiria, Touma, and Itsuki are doing everything I need battle wise at this point.

Chase17

Thinking about picking this up. Like Fire Emblem but only SMT game I've played is Persona.

Anyone have an approximate idea of game length? How long to beat had 52 but it's unreliable with how few have posted it.

Thinking about picking this up. Like Fire Emblem but only SMT game I've played is Persona.

Anyone have an approximate idea of game length? How long to beat had 52 but it's unreliable with how few have posted it.

Persona is probably more appropriate than an SMT game IMO. Game rangers from 40-60 hours from what I am hearing.

Bought all the DLC. 14.55 (Canadian). Worth it.

edit: oh man I love the costume change when you enter battle.

That doesn't seem too bad. I might bite.

Omg I just got Ellie and she aint got no skills lol. And I'm falling waaayy behind with Tsubasa's weapons.

Will there be a easier way to level everyone's carnage weapons or do I just have to grind to level up the characters I dont really use?

I just dont want them to fall too far behind but Kiria, Touma, and Itsuki are doing everything I need battle wise at this point.
Once a character's stage rank gets high enough, they can join in on session combos while being in the sub cast. That makes it much easier to manage everyone since you can still make use of your stronger characters' combos. So don't stress too much for now. Don't forget that swapping doesn't take a turn so switch whenever you find a good chance.

Ellie is actually really useful for the dungeon you get her in. Lots of enemies are weak to bows, lightning, and fire which she covers.

What party has everyone mained? I like having Tsubasa in for healing and status moves, and shes my favourite character, but I can't decide on a permanent third member.

Delio

Yeah Ellie quickly becomes super useful in that dungeon after you get her. Melts a lot of enemies.

Reszo

Once a character's stage rank gets high enough, they can join in on session combos while being in the sub cast. That makes it much easier to manage everyone since you can still make use of your stronger characters' combos. So don't stress too much for now. Don't forget that swapping doesn't take a turn so switch whenever you find a good chance.

Ellie is actually really useful for the dungeon you get her in. Lots of enemies are weak to bows, lightning, and fire which she covers.

Ahh okay cool, and yeah I've been switching just not as much since I've been killing everyone with Mazio and Mabufu lol but I'm only on the second floor.

Edit: One more question. Are slayer skills worth it? like horseslayer and dragonslayer?

What party has everyone mained? I like having Tsubasa in for healing and status moves, and shes my favourite character, but I can't decide on a permanent third member.

I legitimately use everyone. It incentivizes you so hard to switch out characters that it feels strange to invest in a main party admittedly. For characters I use more, probably Kiria and Tsubasa, but that's mostly because I like my mages. Most of the time I switch them out immediately if someone would be a better fit. As a result all of my levels are pretty much even. (maybe level difference between some)

I focus on weapons with skills that I want first. They're generally more important than the attack stat on a weapon.

Generally true but I was able to craft one of Touma's weapons that require Macca so early that it had an attack power almost double of the normal weapons I could find at that point. he was absolutely obliterating pretty much everything through the course of Chapter 2 with it.

RedFox85

Just beat the first big boss last night. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by this game! I really enjoyed persona 3 and 4 and I love Catherine so I am glad to see that Atlas love continue here. The combat and the quality of the dungeons is much better than persona thus far, the tiny puzzle in the dungeon was just enough to make it 10x better than the stupid corridors in persona. The boss was probably harder than anything I ever faced in P4G.. I actually had to figure out that it was necessary to make use of the blocking mechanic. At one point during the fight I was having the "ehh I am not strong enough for this I am going to have to go grind moment" but when I realized how to survive it became "oh no this is just a hard battle and I have to chip it away but I can totally do this!". I just wish I had learned that before burning through some of my item reserves.

I am still very disappointed that we didn't get a good english VO cast for this game as the persona games had such strong actors and ALLOT of the dialogue here feels very word for word on the japanese without taking into account the subtlety that can get lost in translation. The dialogue just comes off as SUPER cliche anime and that is a turn off coming off of something like persona that managed to do it in a fun way. The entire IDOL story isn't as easy to relate to as a school year spent with friends or as interesting as solving a murder. The characters don't seem as perplexed or interested in this strange other world that they have recently learned about either which is kind of dumb and unbelievable.. everyone is just so "eh, yeah that's cool" but maybe that's intentional.. like a commentary on the vapid nature of idol culture?

Idol junk and poor localisation aside at its core this is a really fun game, the combat is a breeze and the candy coated visuals are a feast for the eyes - even if the frame rate chugs. On some level even if you could care less about Jpop and Idols like me there is something deliciously ridiculous about it all that just makes it work.. there are so many "oh God this is SO anime" moments that you just kind of grin and play without being bothered. Glad I picked this one up!

Vena

Generally true but I was able to craft one of Touma's weapons that require Macca so early that it had an attack power almost double of the normal weapons I could find at that point. he was absolutely obliterating pretty much everything through the course of Chapter 2 with it.

I am not using those weapons out of principal as I am playing on hard. Cheesing it makes the difficulty selection meaningless, lol.

Vena

What would be the odds of TMS#FE being in the same league or better than Persona 5? <.<

Given who's making P5, TMS will probably have better dungeons with actual designs/puzzles and such. I don't know how much we know of the P5 combat aside from its aesthetic flair but if its anything like its predecessors it will be fairly standard outside of the presentation, and TMS may also end up with the better battle system.

But after that, elements will likely go to Persona 5. P5 will also score much higher in the MC ratings, the material it presents is not "pop idols fighting with music and love".

Draxal

What would be the odds of TMS#FE being in the same league or better than Persona 5? <.<

If you really don't like the social link aspects of Persona 3/4 and whatever iteration shows up in 5 I would say this is a better game for you (most likely). But I believe Persona 5 will be a stronger game.

Top Bottom