• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

NeonZ

Hm... I liked what they did with the pop culture Mirage names initially (like Casper - Caspar, or Burger Clown becoming Nickelwise. Skellington was kept without changes. SADAKO becoming Samantha was the weakest out of those), but I've just seen a fairly disappointing one. The flaming horned enemy that appears in the tv studio dungeon was originally called Balrog, but became a generic "Inferno" here.

Technically, I guess Inferno is the name of a SMT demon, but it's one of the most generic names they could have given to it. They should have pulled a Nickelwise and referenced something else if they didn't want to go with some modified version of Balrog due to it being too close to the source.

Javier

Anybody else noticed that the Anzu storekeeper is Cath from FE6?

e78ZIRm.jpg

Fep1EVy.jpg

Just finished the prologue and I'm having a lot of fun with the game. The entertainment concept is pretty interesting and the interactions between characters is fun to read in the topic. I even spotted the
aimee
reference in the accesories shop which is pretty cool.

Draxal

Hm... I liked what they did with the pop culture Mirage names initially (like Casper - Caspar, or Burger Clown becoming Nickelwise. Skellington was kept without changes. SADAKO becoming Samantha was the weakest out of those), but I've just seen a fairly disappointing one. The flaming horned enemy that appears in the tv studio dungeon was originally called Balrog, but became a generic "Inferno" here.

Technically, I guess Inferno is the name of a SMT demon, but it's one of the most generic names they could have given to it. They should have pulled a Nickelwise and referenced something else if they didn't want to go with some modified version of Balrog due to it being too close to the source.

Samantha = Samara from the American Ring.

Nairume

Banned
Hm... I liked what they did with the pop culture Mirage names initially (like Casper - Caspar, or Burger Clown becoming Nickelwise. Skellington was kept without changes.
Honestly, I was willing to believe Nickelwise was the original name given they've had Stephen King monsters in megaten games before.

Velcro Fly

I have no idea where to go in the second chapter dungeon. I look on my map and it looks like there is nowhere I haven't gone. Just been running around in circles.

If I have to use one of the cameras to teleport to a new place
I am going to be very mad

nevermind i stumbled on to where I need to go. The constant fights are so disorienting to me =/

Rainy

Banned
Just did Kiria'a first side story

Kiria has a cute side huh? Heh.
I really liked the song she sang here too.

Just wrapped up Chapter 3

Game's still great so far. Close to getting Open Audition with Tsubasa and Touma. I thought it was going to be tedious to get their Stage Ranks up but it's actually really painless so far.

Just finished up Chapter 3 on Hard. I was expecting that fight to be much more difficult after all the trouble the miniboss gave me. Surprisingly, I managed to take him down on my first attempt. Woo-hoo!

Based Sukukaja + Sukunda.

Reacbed a stopping point for the night after the Chapter 3 midboss. Got rekt the first time, and for the retry made use of Kiria's second SP skill (Pastel something) to manage the damage coming in and give me time to clear out the adds. I think I've made everything you can make in Chapter 3 save for maybe one or two Radiant Skills and a Tsubasa Carnage, and this is without grinding

Man, the items and yen roll in with the added session attacks. Can't wait to get Itsuki's Radiant Skill that increases bonuses.

Jesus Christ did they not translate any of the combat dialogue or music lyrics?

There's subtitles in the music videos.

Dee Dee

I have no idea where to go in the second chapter dungeon. I look on my map and it looks like there is nowhere I haven't gone. Just been running around in circles.

If I have to use one of the cameras to teleport to a new place
I am going to be very mad

nevermind i stumbled on to where I need to go. The constant fights are so disorienting to me =/

Reading all these comments makes me relive that horror of a unmappable dungeon...

I slept 3 hours, let's go chapter 3 - ikou!

Can we talk about Touma's Special Attack "Gaia's Whisper" please?
I mean they tried to adapt the costumes to Western taste but then... I guess I would have given up here too. 2sexy4me

Rainy

Banned
Well today I did Touma, Kiria, Tsubasa, and Maiko's first side story. They were all pretty cool, I enjoyed that extra background with each of the characters (well not really Maiko's..)

Started the Chapter 3 dungeon too, love the look of it. Also Ellie is pretty damn cool in battle.

GenG3000

So, after fighting against
Yasuhiro and Navarl
for the first time, I was telling my gf that it would have been great if they picked Takehiko Koyasu for
Navarl, as this was his voice in the forgotten Fire Emblem anime. In the end, even Marth in Smash Bros. was voiced Hikaru Midorikawa because of that anime,
although Caeda and Cain voice actors in #FE are completely new.

But they fucking did it.

This is the story of the Fire Emblem dancing game that had 2 different Jojos and DIO in it.

Brakke

Banned
Just entered the second dungeon. Barry is fucken hilarious I hope I get to see more of him.

But yo the tits in this game are out of control. Some of this shit is outrageous. How can I believe Maiko runs this #1 talent-having agency slash demon-fighting team but she can't buy a damn shirt that fits smh.

FluxWaveZ

Just entered the second dungeon. Barry is fucken hilarious I hope I get to see more of him.

But yo the tits in this game are out of control. Some of this shit is outrageous. How can I believe Maiko runs this #1 talent-having agency slash demon-fighting team but she can't buy a damn shirt that fits smh.

Well, if you're familiar with everything Maiko is and her personality, it should come to no surprise that she'd be exactly the kind of person to intentionally show her assets off.

I guess there's also a slight story explanation with that, since (~chapter 5 spoilers)
Maiko didn't really want to run a talent agency in the first place and she wanted to continue modeling instead.

Finished chapter 3 last night, still completely in love with this game. I can't wait to see what comes next!

It's refreshing to play a game that isn't all doom and gloom.

And Kiria is awesome <3

Brakke

Banned
Well, if you're familiar with everything Maiko is and her personality, it should come to no surprise that she'd be exactly the kind of person to intentionally show her assets off.

I guess there's also a slight story explanation with that, since (~chapter 5 spoilers)
Maiko didn't really want to run a talent agency in the first place and she wanted to continue modeling instead.

No, the creators of the game just wanted an authority-figure woman with conspicuous tits.

FluxWaveZ

No, the creators of the game just wanted an authority-figure woman with conspicuous tits.

That goes without saying: her design was made by the creators. But the creators decided that she'd also be a character who would want to show off her cleavage, despite being the Boss. Like, that aspect of her doesn't actually clash with who she is as a character.

Oh jeez, I'm getting to the point where it looks like I'm going to have to overwrite Session Skills. Now I'm all worried about messing up and replacing a crucial one.

Reacbed a stopping point for the night after the Chapter 3 midboss. Got rekt the first time, and for the retry made use of Kiria's second SP skill (Pastel something) to manage the damage coming in and give me time to clear out the adds. I think I've made everything you can make in Chapter 3 save for maybe one or two Radiant Skills and a Tsubasa Carnage, and this is without grinding

Man, the items and yen roll in with the added session attacks. Can't wait to get Itsuki's Radiant Skill that increases bonuses.

There's subtitles in the music videos.

I had trouble with that boss as well, even after unequipping weapons that made me weak to Zan. Itsuki's sword can't be changed to another weapon type and you can't swap him out so he's vulnerable for the entire battle. So I was having trouble even though I'd start the battle using 3 buff skills (one to increase defense, the other two to raise hit/evasion for my party and lower it for the enemy).

However, if you make Itsuki guard on most turns you should be okay - it'll massively reduce the amount of damage he takes from a strike by the Pegasus Knight, and the enemy can't session off that attack either.

So while I failed the boss fight four times on Monday, I beat it first time on Tuesday. Good luck!

I read some impressions and the game still confuses me.

Basically it sounds like a mediocre story, unique visual design + standard atlus JRPG gameplay

Like, what does the game do better than other jRPGS? Does the story still hook you/is it well paced? Are the dungeons fun or just standard persona stuff?

I'm sorry for asking dumb questions but I'm kinda interested yet videos and reviews do not really convey what makes this game so good.

Sölf

I read some impressions and the game still confuses me.

Basically it sounds like a mediocre story, unique visual design + standard atlus JRPG gameplay

Like, what does the game do better than other jRPGS? Does the story still hook you/is it well paced? Are the dungeons fun or just standard persona stuff?

I'm sorry for asking dumb questions but I'm kinda interested yet videos and reviews do not really convey what makes this game so good.

The gameplay is just fun, especially the battle system. The dungeons are much better than Persona for the simply reason that these are proper dungeons with a fixed layout, so we also have stuff like puzzles in them. As for the story, it's nothing special so far (I am in chapter 3), but the characters are all pretty likeable and their side stories are fun. So I am actually playing it for the characters and not the main plot, because that one isn't really special so far. But the main selling point is definitly the gameplay. The battlesystem feels like an evolution of the Persona 4 Golden battlesystem.

I had trouble with that boss as well, even after unequipping weapons that made me weak to Zan. Itsuki's sword can't be changed to another weapon type and you can't swap him out so he's vulnerable for the entire battle. So I was having trouble even though I'd start the battle using 3 buff skills (one to increase defense, the other two to raise hit/evasion for my party and lower it for the enemy).

However, if you make Itsuki guard on most turns you should be okay - it'll massively reduce the amount of damage he takes from a strike by the Pegasus Knight, and the enemy can't session off that attack either.

So while I failed the boss fight four times on Monday, I beat it first time on Tuesday. Good luck!

Yeah I beat it on the second try last night by confusing the adds and clearing them out. Ended up not using as many buffs/debuffs because of the turns I needed to clear out enemies.

Playing the game on Normal and the only time I died was with the Savage Encounter... Other than that nope!

No boss will take me down

Slay

only on chapter 2 tho. Welp

I'm having a little trouble with the second chapter's boss
_____Gangrel_____
on hard, two of my characters have weaknesses to either the Axe or Sword making the fight difficult.

Apart from downgrading from hard or grinding, any tips ? Thanks.

_____Gangrel_____
on hard, two of my characters have weaknesses to either the Axe or Sword making the fight difficult.

Defense + Hit/Evade buffs and debuffs help a lot.

_____Gangrel_____

Attack mirrors. You can stock up and they affect the whole party. Has saved my ass a couple of times on hard.

Started playing yesterday and got up to Chapter 2. Some thoughts:

-It's so Megaten.
-Carnages are pretty much magatamas from Nocturne.
-Sessions seem inspired by the group attacks in Strange Journey.
-I got hit by 4 maragis in a row and wiped, and kept dying to the Ch1 boss until I remembered to use my buffs.
-Cafe girl is totally Ilyana.
-Why are stat increases when leveling up so random? One level I'd have a total of 30 stat ups and another I'd get 9.
-Sessions started to get going once I got element-element session skills on my characters
-Reincarnation is pretty great.

Hopefully I'll have some time to play some more soon.

coopolon

I've been stuck with itsukis death bringer carnage for the end of chapter 1 and I'm bout to go up against the first boss I'm chapter 2 and I still haven't found the next one. I wish they told you where you could find the missing components, I'm worried I missed it somewhere and won't be able to proceed until I go back.

Top Bottom