• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Peff

I've been stuck with itsukis death bringer carnage for the end of chapter 1 and I'm bout to go up against the first boss I'm chapter 2 and I still haven't found the next one. I wish they told you where you could find the missing components, I'm worried I missed it somewhere and won't be able to proceed until I go back.

They do. Press X in the carnage weapon menu and if you highlight the missing ingredient it'll tell you the general location of the enemy.

coopolon

They do. Press X in the carnage weapon menu and if you highlight the missing ingredient it'll tell you the general location of the enemy.

It just has question marks for the area and enemy. I saw that tooltip earlier but it only works I guess you know what the ingredient is, when it's just a question mark it tells you nothing.

Makonero

It just has question marks for the area and enemy. I saw that tooltip earlier but it only works I guess you know what the ingredient is, when it's just a question mark it tells you nothing.
If it's just question marks it means it's in an area you haven't been to yet

Peff

Weird, I've had the location shown with the question mark, though it was in the same dungeon I was currently in. Which probably means that the location hint only unlocks once you reach the area and if it's blank it means you can't get it at all yet.

Not necessarily. It just means you haven't gotten the drop before. I've had that happened to me where fighting in an area for a bit will get me some new stuff for carnages despite it having a question mark.

coopolon

Weird, I've had the location shown with the question mark, though it was in the same dungeon I was currently in. Which probably means that the location hint only unlocks once you reach the area and if it's blank it means you can't get it at all yet.

Hmm, I must be way over leveled then! Thanks guys.

Razmos

Not necessarily. It just means you haven't gotten the drop before. I've had that happened to me where fighting in an area for a bit will get me some new stuff for carnages despite it having a question mark.
In that case, look at the monster list and work out what items you are missing

I really don't get the censoring in this game. Oh well.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the default Kiria carnage form ? It's good we can at least change outfits

Am I the only one who doesn't like the default Kiria carnage form ? It's good we can at least change outfits

The only thing I don't like about it is that it seems like pretty much an entirely different character design. It's also a little strange as Kiria seems more fitting as a warrior type

Nope. I hate it. The game is goofy, but I like it. I personally found kiria's design to be too stupid though. It'a alright, a lot of the rest of her outfits are really good to make up for it.

Jarmel

Banned
There's subtitles in the music videos.
As far as I saw, there were no subtitles during the music playing in the opening video.

Also how is there no translation for the combat dialogue? How? It's not like they're grunting. Even the victory poses have lines and there's nothing there. What the hell Atlus.

muteki

Nope. I hate it. The game is goofy, but I like it. I personally found kiria's design to be too stupid though. It'a alright, a lot of the rest of her outfits are really good to make up for it.
I kinda like it. It's probably the closest I'll get to a dystopian Miku RPG.

I finished Chapter 1. Boss wasn't all that difficult, but there seemed like a lot of the dungeon I couldn't get to. I could have run around a bit more but was feeling a little overleved by the end of it anyway.

Do these kids ever go back to school? The opening had Tsubasa in class, and she is wearing a uniform most of the time...

Barry is such an embarrassing character; it's amazing that the Fortuna people manage to tolerate him as much as they do.

He's also, like, the only character to truly ever make Maiko (of all characters) exasperated:

Barry is pretty much who I imagine the people complaining about censorship to be.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ok, is there somewhere I can go to replenish EP without using items?

Vending machines all over Tokyo. Can warp out of dungeon any time to your home base(using a radiant spell earned early on) where a vending machine waits for you. Not usually difficult to resume progress via teleport pads upon returning to dungeon.

coopolon

Nope, changed her into a normal outfit right away. The eye patch thing is what really did it for me.

Not that her street clothes are much better, the underwear thing feels so gross.

Hoping I get a new outfit for her soon that isn't stupid looking or embarrassing.

I hate how tiny the 'squares' you uncover on the gamepad map in dungeons are. Feels like I spend half the time in dungeons just running around empty areas because I can't bring myself to leave parts of the map blank.

Edit: Just came across the first savage enemy encounter in chapter 1, and they proceeded to destroy me and I got a game over. Tried escaping multiple times but it didn't work, I assume the characters said something alone the lines of "I can't escape", and it just had a low success rate with the strong enemies?

Javier

Oh man, took a request from Aya to defeat a powerful enemy on the 106 Idolasphere and the damn thing nearly demolished me. I had to keep spamming Fresh Spicy Curries and heal items to prevent me from dying, but fortunately I managed to win in the end.

This game might have one of my favorite combat systems in any RPG ever. I love how interactive and versatile it is.

EDIT:
Edit: Just came across the first savage enemy encounter in chapter 1, and they proceeded to destroy me and I got a game over. Tried escaping multiple times but it didn't work, I assume the characters said something alone the lines of "I can't escape", and it just had a low success rate with the strong enemies?
Always carry Smoke Machines. They allow you to escape battles with 100% success (except boss fights) and they have saved my ass so much it's not even funny.

coopolon

I hate how tiny the 'squares' you uncover on the gamepad map in dungeons are. Feels like I spend half the time in dungeons just running around empty areas because I can't bring myself to leave parts of the map blank.

I completely agree on the map discovery, I see myself running into a lot of obviously empty corners to make sure it actually fills out my map, lest I have to come back thinking I might have missed a jump or something later.

Escape items are useful, like smoke machines, for escaping savage encounters. Also, you can save right before the savage encounter and if you die you just start right where you saved. This assumes you see it coming and have a chance to hit the menu button (which is now on the equivalent to square button, when it always used to be on triangle, so I've screwed this up numerous times.)

Khoryos

I'm still super early in the game - Don't get to play as often as I'd like - so I'm just wondering, can the same character attack twice in one session? So far, the best I can do is a three-hit session, despite having abilities that I think should trigger off the last hit.

I'm still super early in the game - Don't get to play as often as I'd like - so I'm just wondering, can the same character attack twice in one session? So far, the best I can do is a three-hit session, despite having abilities that I think should trigger off the last hit.

Slight mechanic spoilers
Later, your subcast(party members not actively fighting) can attack as well adding to your overall session count, and you can also get "Duo arts" which are special skills that happen sort of randomly and allow another go around of people, so under special circumstance, they can go around again.

muteki

EDIT:
Always carry Smoke Machines. They allow you to escape battles with 100% success (except boss fights) and they have saved my ass so much it's not even funny.
Can you buy these or is it just a drop?

I burned my only one so far on a Savage sneak attack, was really nervous after that.

Kiria's 2nd Side Story is legit the best. "
I'llkillyouallI'llkillmyselfI'llobviouslykillMaikoandthenfornoreasonatallI'llkillToumatoo.
" got me laughing pretty hard. That and her sending you the pic of the Apparition and it looks like it's going "PLEASE NO"

And yeah, as much as I am very gungho about non-sexualized female characters/protagonists in games, in this specific game they hit me with that Maiko kryptonite and I'm like "FUCK, yeah yeah she's sexualized but goddammit she's fucking stupid hot"

Nope, changed her into a normal outfit right away. The eye patch thing is what really did it for me.

Not that her street clothes are much better, the underwear thing feels so gross.

Hoping I get a new outfit for her soon that isn't stupid looking or embarrassing.

I changed over to her Reincarnation outfit. Works better. It unlocks pretty early.

FluxWaveZ

Kiria's Carnage form is pretty bad. My favorite of hers comes at the end of the game, though (costume Spoiler for chapter 5.5/6): http://i.imgur.com/H9iaLDv.jpg. The longer hair works pretty well with it.

Also "carnage" is a weird ass term to use for what they're doing. I don't understand why the characters themselves would think of it, or what exactly the developers' intentions behind that term were.

Yeah, not gonna lie, when Tsubasa and Itsuki first change and look at each other and just say Carnage Form I was really confused how they both just...knew that's what it was called.

"I am an expert in this thing that has never happened to me before"

Ronin Ray

So I got to the second chapter and the mini boss was destroying me like nothing. I was thinking to myself ok this game is suppose to be easy I am playing on normal and I have beat a lot of SMT games so what's going on. I grind some levels and then I beat that boss.

I get to the last boss and I am getting killed like nothing again and I start to think to myself this game is really hard or something is off. I go to the jewelry store and check the items and I am thinking ok these all suck so whats the problem. Then I notice at the bottom of the screen the items also have an armour rating. So I fight the boss again and have no problems with getting one hit killed.

Morale of the story I am a dumb ass. I am enjoying the game a lot now that my characters can take hits.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, not gonna lie, when Tsubasa and Itsuki first change and look at each other and just say Carnage Form I was really confused how they both just...knew that's what it was called.

That particular "awakening" sequence, I thought, was pretty cheesy, rushed and nonsensical. What I think they were trying to convey was that—being controlled or coming into harmony with a greater power they have achieved within themselves—they are now able to subconsciously invoke the power they really had all along.

But everything about the actual scene doesn't convey that. Persona does the same thing with P3, P4 and P5, however it is made ENTIRELY clear that the characters, upon "awakening," have reached some heightened state of being, and it gives more credence to the fact that they would be able to say "Persona" like they knew what that was all along:
5s18ArS.png
xevIDDx.jpg

PMVkIwa.gif
Kinda made me brace for the worst for my expectations regarding #FE's story.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

anime

muteki

Everything story-wise in the Prelude kinda fell flat for me. Like they were just going through the motions.

Chapter 1 proper has been better in that regard though. Hopefully it continues to get better.

Dimmle

The Giant Bomb quick look is bringing my anticipation for this game's arrival in the mail to an unbearable fervor. I don't even like J-pop!

FluxWaveZ

Hard has been a fun challenge for me. I've heard normal is too easy.

I wouldn't say Normal is too easy. It seems pretty balanced, actually, and you'll still die easily if you're reckless. Savage mirages are still a huge threat that I tend to not want to deal with, and bosses can be pretty harsh. At the endgame, though, it seems fights have gotten simpler, though. Don't know how that would be on Hard.

Mupod

Hard has been a fun challenge for me. I've heard normal is too easy.

I just cleared the second boss on hard and it's feeling just right. That boss fight took a VERY long time but I never wiped on it. I happen to enjoy long drawn out tough bosses in RPGs.

Just can't be afraid to burn items. Ice packs are the MVP.

Savage enemies can be 100% pure bullshit but look at it this way - you can save before you engage one and lose nothing if you fail.

Top Bottom