• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Frimaire

Sorry if this has been answered already, but how do I get 3 star prestiges? Do I just have to progress further (currently in Ch 2 intermission)? I've got the materials for a nice Carnage but am missing the prestige :(

Yeah, you basically just have to progress further in the story.
Sometimes you can get them a little bit early by fighting strong enemies like a boss in a side story or something, but mostly you can just get them in the next dungeon...

knkng

Sorry if this has been answered already, but how do I get 3 star prestiges? Do I just have to progress further (currently in Ch 2 intermission)? I've got the materials for a nice Carnage but am missing the prestige :(

The star prestige lines up with the chapter dungeon. So chapter 1 dungeon = 1 star, chapter 2 dungeon = 2 star, etc.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yoooo! Please tell me I can get the
alternate personality detective punk
outfit for Tsubasa.
Only the hair and eyes.

Stars above your chapter are only gotten through the boss and will be plentiful the next chapter.

Reszo

You get them when you get to Chapter 3's dungeon. You get 4 stars when you unlock CHapter 4 dungeon, etc.

And who thought it would be cool to let you actually game over in the arena? Jeeeez, thank god I saved before trying the intermediate level - which, by the way, went without a hitch until they had the last encounter just randomly have the first strike. Not fair at all.

The Arena does give you a prompt the first time warning that failing will be game over.

So this Kiria 3rd Side Story Boss Fight is literally the worst horseshit. Like, holy fuck this is unfun garbage.

You mean it's the best.

Itsuki's sole job in that fight is to pop Attack Mirrors. Make sure you have a full stock of them and that an attack mirror is active on Tsubasa and Kiria at all times.

I was kind of unimpressed by the music in this game but I think the chapter 3 end boss theme might be my favorite one in the game so far, so good.

Chapter 3 end boss was indeed good but the best is by far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLzJVmw43vg

That's just pure awesome.

Chapter 3 end boss was indeed good but the best is by far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLzJVmw43vg

That's just pure awesome.

Oh yes, it's scattered here and there but good music is to be found in this game. I think that thing I like the most about that track is how there are feels of SMT, Persona and FE kind of mixed into it. I really hope if this game see a sequel a bit more effort is put into making the soundtrack more consistent though, some of the exploration music is just... :{

Yeah, you basically just have to progress further in the story.
Sometimes you can get them a little bit early by fighting strong enemies like a boss in a side story or something, but mostly you can just get them in the next dungeon...

The star prestige lines up with the chapter dungeon. So chapter 1 dungeon = 1 star, chapter 2 dungeon = 2 star, etc.

Only the hair and eyes.

Stars above your chapter are only gotten through the boss and will be plentiful the next chapter.

You get them when you get to Chapter 3's dungeon. You get 4 stars when you unlock CHapter 4 dungeon, etc.
Got it. Thanks everyone!

Figments

Man, this game is great. I'm having such a blast.

The only negative for me is the lack of an English dub. The lack of subtitles during battle is irksome, but all in all, I'd rather have had a complete dub than just translated menus.

Does someone know the name of that theme that plays during sidequest boss battles and the like? Its a technoy one with no lyrics that starts sad almost but rises to something that is pretty rousing, and I love a particular 10 seconds from it so much. Going through lists on YouTube is not giving it to me.

Manus

So can I only do a party members side story during an intermission? Or do I have the option to do one while in the middle of the chapter?

Figments

Actually, question: the game box says I should be able to play with the Classic Controller + Wiimote, but every time I try, the game won't even let me.

How do.

Finished with Chapter 3. Chapter 3 boss wasn't too bad, but my Itsuki was around Lv.35. Kiria's Pastel Power MVP

So can I only do a party members side story during an intermission? Or do I have the option to do one while in the middle of the chapter?

You can do it in the middle of the chapter. It's just that some side stories and requests become available at an intermission.

Frimaire

Ohhh, now I remember who Tharja in this game reminds me of: Ame no Uzume from other STM games.
uzume.png

lt519

Chapter 2 boss fight, woah.

Tried it at level 21 and got destroyed because I couldn't handle the adds fast enough. Leveled up to 24, got my 3 SP ready to go, buffed up the first round and took it without any problems. Amazing what a couple levels can do. I also went out and bought all new accesories, I'm guessing the armor rating matters a lot more then you think.

Shit is fun though.

I am not a fan of how they shove
Aya
off after chapter 1 :/

Yeah, that whole part of the plot is just super awkward:

How in the hell do Tsubasa and Aya explain where she's been for 5 years? Plus she was a major star that disappeared with hundreds of others in a huge unexplained event. The news and police should be crawling all over this.

It just feels like they took a huge shortcut to provide Tsubasa with initial character motivation but didn't want to deal with it any beyond that.

Hedgey

I think I might be done with Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
I'm tired of running into the same story over and over again.
I'm in the middle of the 4th chapter.

It's basically Persona 4's plot recycled with ignorant stereotypical characters.
One person captured (or "possessed" in this case), thrown into another world, and you have to save them at the end of the dungeon. It's incredibly clear what's going on and who is behind it by the end of the third chapter but the characters never try and investigate anything. W- what am I fighting for?
The battle system is fun- but only for the first 10-20 hours. Really, it's what has kept me going through the game up until this point. The difficulty was an issue at first, as I was one-shotting almost every enemy and battle, until I turned it up to Hard. But then there were more issues. Every dungeon there are no new enemies, only recolours. They also more or less have the same weaknesses as the previously coloured enemies. Session chains can get longer as you get more characters and you get the ability to chain with characters that aren't in the same party, but that skill came a bit too late. I don't care anymore, and battles just feel like a nuisance instead of something that compliments the game.
One major difference is that Persona gave you the ability to decide what you want to do when you're not in a dungeon. With TMS it feels like you're forced into awful, empty, nonconsequential side stories that often force you into old dungeons, just so you can add some useful skills to your party's battle routine. Luckily they're typically not long, especially if you skip the dialogue.
The main story just doesn't keep me going anymore.
I tried to like this game, GAF. I just want me some good Atlus RPG action. It has been way too long since I played Persona 4 (Oh my god, 2008!! Eight years ago!) and I was hoping this would revitalize my love for the series. Persona 5 less than three months away now (thank god the PS4 does not have a region lock like Wii U does) and I'm ready for something better already.

EDIT: I definitely need to put in some good words about this game as well.
I love love LOVE the weapon designs. It could have been such a throw-away to put some plain looking swords and spears into the game that each character uses for a couple seconds during battle but I feel like they really fleshed it out and gave those weapons some extra value. Each weapon is character specific! I hate the fact that I have to travel away from the dungeon to craft these weapons, but it's ALMOST worth it.
Character animation is INCREDIBLY fluid during battle scenes, which is great. Lots of rad moves, befitting of the series. Not so great when they're right in your face during dialogue scenes, though.
Menu design is gorgeous, bright, and colourful. Everything feels like it is exactly where is should be and nothing is clunky.

Another bad thing: Gamepad implementation. I enjoyed playing this game with my Pro controller. I HATED being interrupted with dialogue coming up on the gamepad randomly, especially when the game is completely stopped, and you have to look down and tap the gamepad for some sort of redundant instruction. In addition to this, I was streaming this game quite a bit and my viewers had no idea what was being said.

Vena

You mean it's the best.

Itsuki's sole job in that fight is to pop Attack Mirrors. Make sure you have a full stock of them and that an attack mirror is active on Tsubasa and Kiria at all times.

Attack Mirrors in general just are must-haves for speeding up a lot of harder/long battles. Same with Magic Mirrors. Nothing like watching a boss blow himself up with two moves per turn.

I definitely agree that the main story is rather weak and repetitive. I start to roll my eyes at the end of every chapter for the inevitable moment of "You can over come this! I believe in you!", queue shining light as Performa emerges, etc.

Who wrote TMS anyway? Atlus games usually have better developed main story lines.

EDIT- Looks like it was Yoh Haduki who wrote it? Damn, he wrote both Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor, both of which had outstanding plots. TMS seems like a major step down unless something changes up in the second half of the game.

Chapter 2 boss fight, woah.

Usually in JRPGs I never use any items, after winning on my third try by using several Attack Mirrors I see that I'll be doing things differently here.

As far as side stories go they're definitely making me like Kiria even more.

NwF2Tu8.jpg

Hedgey

I definitely agree that the main story is rather weak and repetitive. I start to roll my eyes at the end of every chapter for the inevitable moment of "You can over come this! I believe in you!", queue shining light as Performa emerges, etc.

It's very shounen, sunday morning anime style. Definitely feel that I might be playing the game too quickly; if i put a larger amount of time between play sessions I might be a bit more accepting of the repetition. Definitely at the very least taking a break for now though.

I'm at the first intermission after chapter 1 and there are no side quests or side story's so far. Should I just go ahead s start chapter 2?

There is a laptop in Fortuna that will tell you what you need to do to get the side stories. There are definitely several you can do in that intermission. Sounds like you need to get some Stage Ranks up a bit.

I felt like that scene was way too out of character. Like the seiyuu behind her was playing a different role entirely.
Besides, she's a massive star. Why on earth would she ever get booked for a gig like that?

Not familiar with the idol scene but it seemed kind of the equivalent of a booking for Lip Sync Battle which manages to get some major stars.

Hedgey

As far as side stories go they're definitely making me like Kiria even more.

I felt like that scene was way too out of character. Like the seiyuu behind her was playing a different role entirely.
Besides, she's a massive star. Why on earth would she ever get booked for a gig like that?

There is a laptop in Fortuna that will tell you what you need to do to get the side stories. There are definitely several you can do in that intermission. Sounds like you need to get some Stage Ranks up a bit.

Not familiar with the idol scene but it seemed kind of the equivalent of a booking for Lip Sync Battle which manages to get some major stars.

I seen that my characters are all level 15 and don't have enough stage rank. They are all at 2 or 3 for stage rank. How do I increase that?

Figments

Who wrote TMS anyway? Atlus games usually have better developed main story lines.

EDIT- Looks like it was Yoh Haduki who wrote it? Damn, he wrote both Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor, both of which had outstanding plots. TMS seems like a major step down unless something changes up in the second half of the game.

It could be a thematic thing. Devil Survivor had a much darker premise--maybe Tokyo Mirage, with its light-hearted approach to storytelling, was more of a challenge to write? Shifting tones from dark shit to pretty chill shit--especially pulling it off--is a lot harder in narrative than people tend to believe.

I seen that my characters are all level 15 and don't have enough stage rank. They are all at 2 or 3 for stage rank. How do I increase that?

Participate in battles, particularly sessions. In the interlude you can do some grinding in the idolosphere if you really want.

However the side stories will still pop as normal during the actual chapters. So you can just move on to Chapter 2 and do the side stories during that chapter if you want.

It could be a thematic thing. Devil Survivor had a much darker premise--maybe Tokyo Mirage, with its light-hearted approach to storytelling, was more of a challenge to write? Shifting tones from dark shit to pretty chill shit--especially pulling it off--is a lot harder in narrative than people tend to believe.

I would believe it. I think that's one of the things that the Persona series nails. They still can be reasonably upbeat and pleasant while still shifting gears and have things get real when needed. TMS just seems afraid to even toy with anything that isn't super upbeat.

Lilo_D

It's basically Persona 4's plot recycled with ignorant stereotypical characters.
One person captured (or "possessed" in this case), thrown into another world, and you have to save them at the end of the dungeon. It's incredibly clear what's going on and who is behind it by the end of the third chapter but the characters never try and investigate anything. W- what am I fighting for?
The battle system is fun- but only for the first 10-20 hours. Really, it's what has kept me going through the game up until this point. The difficulty was an issue at first, as I was one-shotting almost every enemy and battle, until I turned it up to Hard. But then there were more issues. Every dungeon there are no new enemies, only recolours. They also more or less have the same weaknesses as the previously coloured enemies. Session chains can get longer as you get more characters and you get the ability to chain with characters that aren't in the same party, but that skill came a bit too late. I don't care anymore, and battles just feel like a nuisance instead of something that compliments the game.
One major difference is that Persona gave you the ability to decide what you want to do when you're not in a dungeon. With TMS it feels like you're forced into awful, empty, nonconsequential side stories that often force you into old dungeons, just so you can add some useful skills to your party's battle routine. Luckily they're typically not long, especially if you skip the dialogue.
The main story just doesn't keep me going anymore.
I tried to like this game, GAF. I just want me some good Atlus RPG action. It has been way too long since I played Persona 4 (Oh my god, 2008!! Eight years ago!) and I was hoping this would revitalize my love for the series. Persona 5 less than three months away now (thank god the PS4 does not have a region lock like Wii U does) and I'm ready for something better already.

EDIT: I definitely need to put in some good words about this game as well.
I love love LOVE the weapon designs. It could have been such a throw-away to put some plain looking swords and spears into the game that each character uses for a couple seconds during battle but I feel like they really fleshed it out and gave those weapons some extra value. Each weapon is character specific! I hate the fact that I have to travel away from the dungeon to craft these weapons, but it's ALMOST worth it.
Character animation is INCREDIBLY fluid during battle scenes, which is great. Lots of rad moves, befitting of the series. Not so great when they're right in your face during dialogue scenes, though.
Menu design is gorgeous, bright, and colourful. Everything feels like it is exactly where is should be and nothing is clunky.

Another bad thing: Gamepad implementation. I enjoyed playing this game with my Pro controller. I HATED being interrupted with dialogue coming up on the gamepad randomly, especially when the game is completely stopped, and you have to look down and tap the gamepad for some sort of redundant instruction. In addition to this, I was streaming this game quite a bit and my viewers had no idea what was being said.

Definitely need some rest between each chapters, when I play P4, I always give up because of the repetitive tedious dungeon and even the entire battle system. Play something else and then try to return : )

Vena

I would believe it. I think that's one of the things that the Persona series nails. They still can be reasonably upbeat and pleasant while still shifting gears and have things get real when needed. TMS just seems afraid to even toy with anything that isn't super upbeat.

Honestly, I only think P3 pulled this off well and in large part because of characters like Mitsuru and SEES being established/excuse for stuff. I still find Scooby-Doo P4 to waffle in some really stupid ways between serious and light-hearted.

#FE feels like a manga/anime in the "Monster of the Week" variety of plot movement with, obviously, underlying currents in the background. This is especially true in the early chapters (1-5) as the monster/boss is used as a character building point for the next character to join the party or for Tsubasa's career. I've found the best story in as of so far to be in the side stories, though I've felt most of the chapters have been good though some less so.

Ok so just discovered this game doesn't support Gamepad audio.

What the actual fuck, Nintendo? What's the excuse for not supporting that? My tv doesn't have a headphone jack and being able to play late at night without bothering anyone is super essential for me. Every other WiiU game supports it!

Am I doing something wrong or did Nintendo did make another inexplicable decision that's both inexcusable and stupid?

Trace

Banned

What the actual fuck, Nintendo? What's the excuse for not supporting that? My tv doesn't have a headphone jack and being able to play late at night without bothering anyone is super important to me. Every other WiiU game supports it!

Am I doing something wrong or did Nintendo did make another inexplicable decision that's both inexcusable and stupid?

Inexplicable and stupid.

#FE feels like a manga/anime in the "Monster of the Week" variety of plot movement with, obviously, underlying currents in the background. This is especially true in the early chapters (1-5) as the monster/boss is used as a character building point for the next character to join the party or for Tsubasa's career. I've found the best story in as of so far to be in the side stories, though I've felt most of the chapters have been good though some less so.

Definitely enjoying the side stories more than the main plot (and they are from a different writer).

My favorite parts of the game are once you are in the meat of a chapter. No boring "oh this is so shocking there is another mirage outbreak at a major entertainment event that an acquaintance just happens to be at" filler to get through. Just going through the dungeon with plenty of opportunities to hop out and craft carnage and radiant skills, knock out a few side stories and requests, etc. I find myself slowing down as I approach the Chapter's end because I know I've got back to back filler of the rote end of chapter/beginning of chapter stuff until I get back into the meat of the thing.

Vorpal

I'm with you on Radiant Historia, but I thought the only interesting elements of Devil Survivor's plot were the different endings. The rest of it just felt like a series of character introductions and very surface-level development.

Not to dump on DS--I played through twice and totally loved it--but I'm finding myself enjoying TMS' plot more. Something about the super lighthearted/goofy/JPOP tone is easier for me to take at face value than the dramatic plot of DS.

Wish there were any chance we'd get another game by Yu Godai or Tadashi Satomi (Digital Devil Saga/Persona 2). Really really liked those settings and stories.

lt519

Story is definitely weak, especially if you don't like idol culture like me. The character dialogue can be fun though, Maiko is great. Gameplay is fun and the carnage/session systems have a hook in me right now. We'll see how that holds up by late game though.

Side stories are a good diversion between dungeons so the fighting doesn't get too repetitive. But even within a dungeon the enemies get repetitive by the end. I actually skipped too many fights in chapter 2 and was underleved/geared for the boss. Boss fights have been a great pay off though. Disappointing to hear they reskin enemies, probably started to run low on time/funding.

Edit: pretty sure they just used the same NPC for the flirting side story and the hand outs.

All the loading doesn't help either. But regardless the game is a refreshing change of pace.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Doing Tsubasa's 2nd side-story, where the hell
is this cat, I don't see anything on the map & I looked all around, I just got a message from her about "what might be little devil"

Also might need help with Lucky Spot 3, I have some sort of idea, but might need more details.

Hedgey

Doing Tsubasa's 2nd side-story, where the hell
is this cat, I don't see anything on the map & I looked all around, I just got a message from her about "what might be little devil"

Also might need help with Lucky Spot 3, I have some sort of idea, but might need more details.

You have to ask the NPCs around town about the cat.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aaah, okay.

& phew, found Lucky Spot 3. Now hopefully I don't have to visit the Shibuya Idolasphere anymore, I hate its layout.

Finally have some free time to start chapter 1. Just had my first savage encounter, I'm deeply regretting it...

What the actual fuck, Nintendo? What's the excuse for not supporting that? My tv doesn't have a headphone jack and being able to play late at night without bothering anyone is super essential for me. Every other WiiU game supports it!

Try using component cable and rca to 3.5mm adapter to get audio from console. You can still use HDMI to get visual.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol, this side-quest.

...................WAIT, WHAT, THEY KEPT THE SWIMSUIT IN THIS ONE CUTSCENE, BUT NOT THE OTHER?!

Shin-chan

Just beat the chapter 2 boss last night on hard. It took a few attempts but once I realised having Kiria in the party was pretty much a death wish it was all good.

From a design perspective I'm not sure I agree with that - having enemies that can tear through her incredibly quickly just after getting her as a party member. It's like "hey look at this cool character which you should definitely not use". It would also have been nice to swap out itsuki just because his skills can be pretty limiting in boss battles.

I also think the dungeons could use a little more visual variety within themselves because it's pretty easy to get turned around in them when everywhere looks identical. I guess that's maybe the point, but it's not really as issue I have in other games. Also the map is shit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Attack Mirror is SOOOOOO helpful when you need to do those side-missions involving hunting down mirages, especially since the one I just had to hunt down had enemies that were 10 levels higher than me.

Rainy

Banned
Just beat the Chapter 3 boss.

Took me like 3 tries. The boss isn't that hard once you take out the cleric which does all of the healing. If you can keep track of buffs and debuffs it just becomes a game of trying to survive his Mad Rush attach. Once again, Tsubasa's "Debut Smile" special performance ability came in handy.

Mamori looks so cute in her armor omg.

Also as some others have said, I really liked the boss theme for Chapter 3. I also still find the normal battle theme pretty good despite hearing it hundreds of times.

Fake edit: Also this game seems like it will take me a while, I just finished Chapter 3 and I'm around 20 hours. I'm guessing it'll take me around 50ish?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, you can get outfits for Tiki as well? I was doing the lottery drawing at that clothing store & it just gave me new clothing for her.

Top Bottom