• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Any good ways to grind for 3-star prestige? I seem to get 2-star quite easily, but even in the Ch. 3 dungeon, it seems to drop not very often, especially now that I need a whopping 5 to get some skills or weapons made.

Brakke

Banned
Took my first L today. Went against a Savage Enemy I'd never seen before. I thought "well I'm at full health, I'll go one round to see how tough these dudes are": real tough, it turns out. Three enemies, each of whom started a three-man Session, and they wiped me right out. Lost two hours of progress...

Hey! It's super crazy that this game doesn't have an auto-save!

FluxWaveZ

I'm happy Ellie finally said what we've all been thinking.

bydA3YI.jpg

They all like saying it.
Tsubasa and Itsuki deserve each other after all.

Dee Dee

Any good ways to grind for 3-star prestige? I seem to get 2-star quite easily, but even in the Ch. 3 dungeon, it seems to drop not very often, especially now that I need a whopping 5 to get some skills or weapons made.

Same thing happened to me, I already finished chapter 3 and still need 8 of those for Carnages.
I advise you don't grind for them, you will just burn yourself out quickly. You will have some side quests later to go back to that dungeon eventually and drop them in the next dungeon too.
Focus on crafting the needed Carnages first, the "survive one death blow" radiant skill is nice, but not worth 5x prestige if you are short on them at the moment.

I think I even dropped some in the arena, but I have a bunch of "drop more stuff" skills unlocked now as well. Which is why I advise not to grind, as you will swim in the stuff eventually.

Edit: Chapter 3 dungeon is a great place to grind for Macca Converters though if anything! You might want to buy an attractor spray. I used one at the right spot and battled about 10 of them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I went for the "endless act/song" skills first because those are helpful. At the moment, it doesn't seem like skills are earned as quickly, so hopefully I can hold off on making weapons because it's annoying having 3 or more pop up at the same time when I know I can only make one at the moment.

Maybe now that I'm on the 2nd floor, they might occur more frequently.

mclem

So a question has come up:

Are there any situations where a character will have two session skills with the same trigger? And if so, does it prioritise them smartly to maximise effectiveness, or do something mundane like default to the one that's top of the list?

So a question has come up:

Are there any situations where a character will have two session skills with the same trigger? And if so, does it prioritise them smartly to maximise effectiveness, or do something mundane like default to the one that's top of the list?

Yes, and yes it will maximize effectiveness based on weaknesses/resistances

So what skills are worth dropping?

I usually keep lower ranked spells in Persona games to trigger all out attacks, but that doesn't seem necessary here. EP seems plentiful and you need the extra damage.

I assume you can rank up buffs and debuffs? Right now in early game they're a waste of a slot because the consumable items do the same thing, but I'll keep them in reserve if it means I'll get them to +1, +2 etc.

What about stuff like Horseslayer? They seem very situation dependant and ultimately not worth keeping.

Frimaire

I usually keep lower ranked spells in Persona games to trigger all out attacks, but that doesn't seem necessary here. EP seems plentiful and you need the extra damage.

I assume you can rank up buffs and debuffs? Right now in early game they're a waste of a slot because the consumable items do the same thing, but I'll keep them in reserve if it means I'll get them to +1, +2 etc.

What about stuff like Horseslayer? They seem very situation dependant and ultimately not worth keeping.
You can rank up the buffs/debuffs but it only decreases the EP cost, they don't become any more efffective.
I agree with the bane skills not really being worth it, ultimately it's easier to just find one of their other weaknesses.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Keep the bane skills, especially on Itsuki.
*looks at my last post*
Fuck I said babe instead on bane, damn ac
Immensely useful

Hobbun

EDIT- Looks like it was Yoh Haduki who wrote it? Damn, he wrote both Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor, both of which had outstanding plots. TMS seems like a major step down unless something changes up in the second half of the game.

I really need to play Radiant Historia.

Ok, (I believe) I’m through most of the Chapter 1 dungeon. Really enjoying the game so far.

Finally finished one Request (was inside of dungeon), but another one, the first one I picked up, is still eluding me.

There is a girl near the Daitama dungeon (you went in during Prologue), which is now I believe the Daitama Observatory area. I can’t even remember what she asked for originally, but makes mention now of a “round elevator” in Daitama. Have no idea what to do here. I even went back in the Daitama dungeon and checked it thoroughly.

Can anyone clue me in?

I really need to play Radiant Historia.

Ok, (I believe) I’m through most of the Chapter 1 dungeon. Really enjoying the game so far.

Finally finished one Request (was inside of dungeon), but another one, the first one I picked up, is still eluding me.

There is a girl near the Daitama dungeon (you went in during Prologue), which is now I believe the Daitama Observatory area. I can’t even remember what she asked for originally, but makes mention now of a “round elevator” in Daitama. Have no idea what to do here. I even went back in the Daitama dungeon and checked it thoroughly.

Can anyone clue me in?

After the first elevator in I.Daitama there should be a glowing item on the ground.

Thud

Keep the bane skills, especially on Itsuki.
*looks at my last post*
Fuck I said babe instead on bane, damn ac
Immensely useful

Saved my butt for the chapter 3 boss.

I let touma keep horseslayer so Itsuki got wyrmslayer and armorslayer. For me I need a variety in skills. I don't need to have tarukuja on all characters, but I do need it once. So my advice is to keep a balanced set of buffs/debuffs, physical skills and elemental skills.

Javier

Not losing a turn in switching characters is probably the best thing about the combat system. It gives a huge advantage to have the fastest characters at the start of a battle and then just switch to a more effective character at Turn 1. Practically saved my ass on Chapter 3 Mid-Boss.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Not losing a turn in switching characters is probably the best thing about the combat system. It gives a huge advantage to have the fastest characters at the start of a battle and then just switch to a more effective character at Turn 1. Practically saved my ass on Chapter 3 Mid-Boss.
My favorite thing is that sessions cut back on farming for items, I know people complain how long they get, but I need a lot of items. :X

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think I might be done with Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
I'm tired of running into the same story over and over again.
I'm in the middle of the 4th chapter.

It's basically Persona 4's plot recycled with ignorant stereotypical characters.
One person captured (or "possessed" in this case), thrown into another world, and you have to save them at the end of the dungeon. It's incredibly clear what's going on and who is behind it by the end of the third chapter but the characters never try and investigate anything. W- what am I fighting for?
The battle system is fun- but only for the first 10-20 hours. Really, it's what has kept me going through the game up until this point. The difficulty was an issue at first, as I was one-shotting almost every enemy and battle, until I turned it up to Hard. But then there were more issues. Every dungeon there are no new enemies, only recolours. They also more or less have the same weaknesses as the previously coloured enemies. Session chains can get longer as you get more characters and you get the ability to chain with characters that aren't in the same party, but that skill came a bit too late. I don't care anymore, and battles just feel like a nuisance instead of something that compliments the game.
One major difference is that Persona gave you the ability to decide what you want to do when you're not in a dungeon. With TMS it feels like you're forced into awful, empty, nonconsequential side stories that often force you into old dungeons, just so you can add some useful skills to your party's battle routine. Luckily they're typically not long, especially if you skip the dialogue.
The main story just doesn't keep me going anymore.
I tried to like this game, GAF. I just want me some good Atlus RPG action. It has been way too long since I played Persona 4 (Oh my god, 2008!! Eight years ago!) and I was hoping this would revitalize my love for the series. Persona 5 less than three months away now (thank god the PS4 does not have a region lock like Wii U does) and I'm ready for something better already.

EDIT: I definitely need to put in some good words about this game as well.
I love love LOVE the weapon designs. It could have been such a throw-away to put some plain looking swords and spears into the game that each character uses for a couple seconds during battle but I feel like they really fleshed it out and gave those weapons some extra value. Each weapon is character specific! I hate the fact that I have to travel away from the dungeon to craft these weapons, but it's ALMOST worth it.
Character animation is INCREDIBLY fluid during battle scenes, which is great. Lots of rad moves, befitting of the series. Not so great when they're right in your face during dialogue scenes, though.
Menu design is gorgeous, bright, and colourful. Everything feels like it is exactly where is should be and nothing is clunky.

Another bad thing: Gamepad implementation. I enjoyed playing this game with my Pro controller. I HATED being interrupted with dialogue coming up on the gamepad randomly, especially when the game is completely stopped, and you have to look down and tap the gamepad for some sort of redundant instruction. In addition to this, I was streaming this game quite a bit and my viewers had no idea what was being said.

Agreed with most of this. Up to chapter 3 and just about ready to bounce off this game entirely.

This crossover is merely Persona stripped down to its most base elements, sadly losing many of the unique systems that elevate that franchise beyond, well, being this... Combat lacks any real intelligent strategy, as the press-turn system is scaled back to a point where you are relying on strings of passive bonus attacks over pro-active planning. The Fire Emblem connection is barely represented, outside of visual/audio fluff, with zero mechanical signature additions. (Level-up jingles and frivolous cameos is a waste of the license.)

Also hate the forced gamepad use for clearing out texts. The multiple load screens just to add a new skill or weapon is a groaner too.

Dungeons at least have some thoughtful layouts, though even on hard, only the FOE like savage enemies pose a threat that I've experienced(usually for being 10 levels above my party when surprise encountered). I give it credit for allowing save-anywhere though.

Too many other games vying for my time, and this is not really feeling worth my patience any longer. Really shocked the reviews were so high actually.

Hobbun

Once you've battled an enemy once it's resistances are all uncovered.

Ok, I didn’t notice that. Thanks.

When I’ve fought enemies the first time, I have been trying different types of attacks to reveal the strengths/weaknesses, which it does during the battle. But didn’t notice all of their resistances were uncovered after one fight.

Try using component cable and rca to 3.5mm adapter to get audio from console. You can still use HDMI to get visual.
I realize there are workarounds but they're clunkier than Gamepad audio. It should be a fuxking standard! But I guess that's Nintendo for you. Clunky and refusing to make a full step forward.

Robin64

I realize there are workarounds but they're clunkier than Gamepad audio. It should be a fuxking standard! But I guess that's Nintendo for you. Clunky and refusing to make a full step forward.

Even if it's not a regulated mandatory standard, the developer of the game should still make an effort.

The Fire Emblem connection is barely represented, outside of visual/audio fluff, with zero mechanical signature additions. (Level-up jingles and frivolous cameos is a waste of the license.)

Not that it makes much difference but there is also the Weapon Triangle and Class Change/Master Seal stuff from FE.

Brandon F

Not that it makes much difference but there is also the Weapon Triangle and Class Change/Master Seal stuff from FE.

Weapon triangle doesn't exist tho. Yes, axes, spears, and swords are featured, but they are merely three added affinities and not at all utilizing the famed triangle system. They function closer to SMT ala Pierce, Slash, and Bash than how they are utilized in FE, they do not play off each other really for tactical advantage.

lt519

It makes a pretty big difference, having two spear wielding party members against the Chapter 2 boss was killing me since the Axe wielding enemies kept starting sessions. Had Tsubasa switch to a lance that had protection against axes, made sure Touma was always buffed to handle some big blows, and it made a world of a difference. I basically had to gear my strategy so that the enemy couldn't start sessions on me based on that Weapon Triangle.

Dismissing the changes of FE like he did is kind of weird. I'm new to SMT and all I see is FE really. The names of the weapons, their special attributes, random leveling, etc. Disregarding it all as visual/flair is dismissing half of what is fun about the game for me.

I'm not sure I'll make it all the way through the game but I've made it further than Persona 4 Golden since I really didn't enjoy the social link stuff. I probably won't even pick up Persona 5.

Vena

Weapon triangle doesn't exist tho. Yes, axes, spears, and swords are featured, but they are merely three added affinities and not at all utilizing the famed triangle system. They function closer to SMT ala Pierce, Slash, and Bash than how they are utilized in FE, they do not play off each other really for tactical advantage.

The triangle is fully present. Sword beats Axe, Axe beats Lance, and Lance beats Sword. This is the weapon triangle in FE and it is fully present in #FE, and it also gives you a known weakness if you know the triangle for just about every enemy in the game even on a first encounter (and is very useful for bosses to get an initial free session going).

The weapons also have hit penalties against their triangle-counter, or at least I think they do.

Lilo_D

Agreed with most of this. Up to chapter 3 and just about ready to bounce off this game entirely.

This crossover is merely Persona stripped down to its most base elements, sadly losing many of the unique systems that elevate that franchise beyond, well, being this... Combat lacks any real intelligent strategy, as the press-turn system is scaled back to a point where you are relying on strings of passive bonus attacks over pro-active planning. The Fire Emblem connection is barely represented, outside of visual/audio fluff, with zero mechanical signature additions. (Level-up jingles and frivolous cameos is a waste of the license.)

Also hate the forced gamepad use for clearing out texts. The multiple load screens just to add a new skill or weapon is a groaner too.

Dungeons at least have some thoughtful layouts, though even on hard, only the FOE like savage enemies pose a threat that I've experienced(usually for being 10 levels above my party when surprise encountered). I give it credit for allowing save-anywhere though.

Too many other games vying for my time, and this is not really feeling worth my patience any longer. Really shocked the reviews were so high actually.

didn't agree battle system stuff, but that's your opinion

It makes a pretty big difference, having two spear wielding party members against the Chapter 2 boss was killing me since the Axe wielding enemies kept starting sessions. Had Tsubasa switch to a lance that had protection against axes, made sure Touma was always buffed to handle some big blows, and it made a world of a difference. I basically had to gear my strategy so that the enemy couldn't start sessions on me based on that Weapon Triangle.

I meant that it wouldn't make much of a difference to someone who wants more Fire Emblem in the gameplay. Just pointing out that there are indeed a few gameplay mechancis from Fire Emblem even if 90% is SMT/Persona.

Brandon F

Dismissing the changes of FE like he did is kind of weird. I'm new to SMT and all I see is FE really. The names of the weapons, their special attributes, random leveling, etc. Disregarding it all as visual/flair is dismissing half of what is fun about the game for me.

I'm not sure I'll make it all the way through the game but I've made it further than Persona 4 Golden since I really didn't enjoy the social link stuff. I probably won't even pick up Persona 5.

The triangle is fully present. Sword beats Axe, Axe beats Lance, and Lance beats Sword. This is the weapon triangle in FE and it is fully present in #FE, and it also gives you a known weakness if you know the triangle for just about every enemy in the game even on a first encounter (and is very useful for bosses to get an initial free session going).

The weapons also have hit penalties against their triangle-counter, or at least I think they do.

You are describing an exception rather than the norm. Granted, I left off playing right before the boss of Chapter 2(far into the dungeon with all the cameras to avoid), but almost none of the encounters feature the triangle as enemies almost rarely utilize weapons that would apply. Hence my position.

Maybe later areas start throwing more enemies at the player that make use of the triangle outside of major boss encounters, which would prove me wrong, but in the time played, its barely present.

You are describing an exception rather than the norm. Granted, I left off playing right before the boss of Chapter 2(far into the dungeon with all the cameras to avoid), but almost none of the encounters feature the triangle as enemies almost rarely utilize weapons that would apply. Hence my position.

Maybe later areas start throwing more enemies at the player that make use of the triangle outside of major boss encounters, which would prove me wrong, but in the time played, its barely present.

At least starting in Chapter 2 you start to get a healthy mix of enemy types that use Weapon Triangle weapons. Surprised you didn't notice.

Further, you initially stated that it doesn't exist. That's factually incorrect even at the stage of game you are in. You may not have noticed but it's totally present in the game.

I just have some questions about the game.

I completed the two requests for the
Hee Ho Mart clerk
but they're showing up again. Do they ever go away?

Also, I found Tsubasa's
FEEL CD.
Are there more of these items hiding anywhere?

Draxal

I just have some questions about the game.

I completed the two requests for the
Hee Ho Mart clerk
but they're showing up again. Do they ever go away?

Also, I found Tsubasa's
FEEL CD.
Are there more of these items hiding anywhere?

1. No
2. It's for a quest.

Where are you supposed to go for the 3rd Lucky Spot quest. Think the hint was
diving board near the photographs or something. Based on the photography I assume it's the Chapter 2 dungeon but I don't remember a diving board.

Phoenixus

Just got this through the post, loving the aesthetic! Bit gutted there's no offtv play though, is there some mechanic later on that requires the separate screens? The text messaging idea is great but can't see why they'd really need to insist on the Gamepad usage for it.

Mashing

You can rank up the buffs/debuffs but it only decreases the EP cost, they don't become any more efffective.
I agree with the bane skills not really being worth it, ultimately it's easier to just find one of their other weaknesses.

So, this is just a guess (I'm on ch 1 intermission), but those skills won't shine until you run into mobs who do not have any weaknesses. I would think the bane skills would still hit them and trigger sessions.

So, this is just a guess (I'm on ch 1 intermission), but those skills won't shine until you run into mobs who do not have any weaknesses. I would think the bane skills would still hit them and trigger sessions.

Yes they will trigger sessions. It's not so much about having no weaknesses but it's more that Itsuki probably isn't magic focused so in a physical build he doesn't have many session start options if the enemy isn't weak to Sword. Same applies to Touma and lance.

Where are you supposed to go for the 3rd Lucky Spot quest. Think the hint was
diving board near the photographs or something. Based on the photography I assume it's the Chapter 2 dungeon but I don't remember a diving board.

I.Shibuya, go to the section where there were three places to jump off to the floor below. IIRC it's before the middle one

Top Bottom