• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Kaname

Just finished with the True Ending. It was a bit disappointing compared to the standard ending but I loved the game so it doesn't really matter.

60+ hours in Hard Mode; not sure I want to start NG+ right away lol

Vena

Oh my god, the Tsubasa x Itsuki Duo art is just a fucking fastball special.

Ya its pretty dumb.

Her force magic against winged enemies can be huge later on, especially when they spawn 4 lanced winged enemies at once. She was actually very much a mainstay of my team due to that and Debut Smile unless some axes showed up.

After the second chapter she only came in when enemies were weak against ice. Seemed that she got beat down by physical attacks so easily that I constantly was reviving her. At that point I think she was way under-level though. I used Mamori a lot but Touma took a back seat once I got the final character and started abusing Counter

Not sure why you don't just build Kiria into a full gamut of elements. She can learn every element (only Lightning has proved hard to get on her) to in as of so far the -dyne level. Her follow-ups are all Ice but that's true in cast or subcast standing regardless. She also doesn't have a three-times weapon weakness.

The only downside is that her initial ad-lib is limited to Ice.

-Horizon-

Forgot to mention but holy crap. Shibuya station is just chugging when you fast travel there. I don't think it happened when I started the game but it seems to have gotten progressively worse in that area after like the 2nd or 3rd chapter. And I think its only in that one area of Shibuya. Everywhere else seems ok.

Well this is gonna be fun :x

How are you guys getting such crazy hours? I am on hard at Ch5 end and at 26 hours and I've done every side quest so far available.

Have I missed like an entire map or something?

FORTY-TWO!!!!!!??!?!?! I'm about 20 hours in and although the boss of that chapter is utterly massacring me (spoilers)
as soon as it switches to "black" form - Magic Mirror, of course, only blocks one of its double attacks...
, I was pretty sure I'd been doing every side story and side quest at the right points...

The game doesn't really seem to reward you for "grinding" that much, it seems to me, beyond going up a few levels.
Even with the ability to upgrade your existing Carnages, why would I go back to the very first one I equipped? The abilities will be crap, the strength of the weapon will be crap...
ok, maybe 5 of those hours were spent with the system idle and me not being in the same room >.>

And idk, I just walk around after every chapter and every side quest to check to see if there were any changes in npc dialogue. Also had to grind a bit twice.

Just finished with the True Ending. It was a bit disappointing compared to the standard ending but I loved the game so it doesn't really matter.

60+ hours in Hard Mode; not sure I want to start NG+ right away lol

So is there anymore story stuff from Lunatic difficulty. Is it just some bonus bosses and quests?

Just finished chapter 2, game is a lot of fun and honestly had it not been for the trail of tears over censorship I'd have had no idea anything was changed from the conclusion of chapter 2.

Just finished chapter 2, game is a lot of fun and honestly had it not been for the trail of tears over censorship I'd have had no idea anything was changed from the conclusion of chapter 2.

You will...when you see that
Might as well be white latex bondage suit wedding dress

Rappy

How are you guys getting such crazy hours? I am on hard at Ch5 end and at 26 hours and I've done every side quest so far available.

Have I missed like an entire map or something?

To be fair, at least 40 hours of my play time were me just saving my game over and over so I wouldn't lose progress.

Nah, but seriously, I think I just took things slowly. Grinded for skills a lot. Tended to fight every enemy I came across. Used duo arts and 6-combo sessions all the time, even when I didn't need them. And I just kinda suck a bit tbh.
No, the people getting low times are definitely doing something that the average person is not. Most reviews or impressions of the game have been saying 50 hours average for main story and 80 hours for every side thing completed since Japanese release.

I ended up around 60 hours in-game time with main story complete with all character side stories and a couple hours in arena. Maybe around 5 or more of those hours idle. This was with minimal grinding most of the game and doing most bosses/quests 5-10 below recommended/enemy level on hard. I also didn't use items much, so maybe that's it (never used one mirror) or being actual level makes things way faster. This isn't counting actual time as doing those fights at low level were pretty difficult for me (the last chapter was maybe the only one I was proper level).

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Okay Lunatic time!

Mini boss 1:
Sweet poison turn 1, LETS GO
mini boss winds Tsubasa, session, ded
*turn off game*

BTA

I'm a little over 60, approaching the final boss with all side stories minus the one I'm about to do.

Speaking of which: is the final boss longer than
Gharnef
? Because holy shit, that took forever and I was terrified that I was about to lose right at the end. I only have a few hours to finish this tomorrow, so... if I die, that might be the difference between finishing now and seeing the end of this in October.

I'm a little over 60, approaching the final boss with all side stories minus the one I'm about to do.

Speaking of which: is the final boss longer than
Gharnef
? Because holy shit, that took forever and I was terrified that I was about to lose right at the end. I only have a few hours to finish this tomorrow, so... if I die, that might be the difference between finishing now and seeing the end of this in October.

Based on save file data, it took me about 30 minutes.
Personally I think it's easier than that battle. The adds/reinforcements also are much less threatening.

That's assuming you have the right skills...though.

Completed the game today, bosses and dungeons are great. Sessions can go for too long and a fast forward mode will be appreciated. Main story is ok, Fire Emblem elements are really lacking, outside of tiki non of the FE characters are developed at all. The main cast outside of Barry are interesting, I perfect the side stories to the main one. Wonder if there was a change in plot direction since the opening cut scene is quite dark but as the game starts the tone of the game get really light.

*I actually perfers this Tiki over the mainline tiki beacuse she is adorable.

BluWacky

Are the people with low times skipping scenes? That's like the only thing I can think of for the low time....

Fair point. I skip all fusion scenes (seen them once, why watch them again?), long attack animations, fast forward some dialogue (I read REALLY quickly, and although the story is fun I don't need to read it all in depth, it's not like we're dealing with Vagrant Story here) etc. which saves some time I suppose. I am a somewhat lapsed anime fan, and have had my fill of osananajimis, tsunderes and little girls asking to call me onii-chan for one lifetime...

Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying myself with the game, and the dialogue isn't really a turn off in the way that it can be for many JRPGs these days - but it's not the primary reason I'm playing.

Tailzo

I've only played the game for about 3 hours. While the pop-idol thing could annoy me a lot, as long as I try to not think about it the game is awesome.

It really feels like a new kind of Persona game. The style is there, the combat is better than I remember P3 and P4, it seems to have a story worth following and some of the characters I just met seem interesting. Also, it looks great for a wiiu game :)

I wish more persona fans knew about this. I had no idea it was so similar in gameplay and tone as it is. Only thing I'm missing are social links, but maybe those dialogue options lead to something?

HawthorneKitty

Is the challenge bosses worth it?
Don't really feel like playing through the story again...
It takes about 6 hours to run to the end of the game again, maybe 2 - 3 more for the side quests you most definitely need to beat it and the maybe a dozen more for the actual grind. So, yeah, if you're not keen on a challenge, probably not worth it.

Oh, you'll need the DLC to grind effectively of course

mclem

The look of desperation she has when she procs her "take an attack aimed at a teammate" ability is really cute, too.

Mamori's such a helpfully lil buddy.

I think at some point we need an update of that Marin Karin Persona 3 cartoon strip with Mamori's "I'll save you" -> "Weak" -> "Sessionsessionsession".

Sadist

Intermission chapter 4... 40 hours in.

Just finished chapter Barry's sidechapter where he
gets the girls ready for a duet
. Man, Barry is mean towards Ellie. First Hollywannabe (the topic reactions are funny though.) and that other line... savage.

Rodin

Played for a couple of hours, this game is absolutely fantastic. Love the characters, their design, the music (Reincarnation is amazing), the combat system, the tone and the way they integrated the FE characters and combat mechanics. Can't wait to play more of it, and i think it sold me on Persona 5 too (never played 3-4 so i wasn't interested in it, and those trailers did nothing for me).

Vertti

The combat system is so good. It may be the best in any JRPG I have personally played. But I'd like to hear some games you think have even better combat system.

HawthorneKitty

The combat system is so good. It may be the best in any JRPG I have personally played. But I'd like to hear some games you think have even better combat system.
Lightning Returns, but I guess that's due to how well you can operate it.

Just finished Chapter 3, and I was enjoying the game before but now it's reached a whole new level. Now all of a sudden I'm getting characters taking part in Sessions when they aren't in my active party, I've got Class Changes, and *party member spoiler*
MECHA MAMORI, AXE WARRIOR!

Just for laughs I decided to go through the final boss door of the Chapter 3 dungeon before I was really ready, thinking there'd probably be another scripted event forcing me to duck out of the dungeon so someone could discover the energy ball that lives in their chest again, which obviously didn't happen. I ended up getting caught in a cycle of endless revivals for Tsubasa and wiping, which was totally expected. After a little bit more preparation, though, I came back with Kiria and Tsubasa both capable of joining in on Sessions from backstage, and I just embarrassed the boss. It was obscene; I didn't even need to heal anyone, let alone revive. Took like five turns, five-man-Sessions on every attack. I honestly felt bad for the poor guy.

Anbec7

Currently 13 hours on. I believe the last part of Chapter 2 (Just right before the boss)
GAF was right the game is a blast, I'm having a lot of fun with the battle system and while I agree that sessions could be fast forward I think the game is great so far.

Also does the true ending mechanic works here the same as the Persona games? if is not much of a spoiler could someone explain?

Currently 13 hours on. I believe the last part of Chapter 2 (Just right before the boss)
GAF was right the game is a blast, I'm having a lot of fun with the battle system and while I agree that sessions could be fast forward I think the game is great so far.

Also does the true ending mechanic works here the same as the Persona games? if is not much of a spoiler could someone explain?

Wouldn't really call this a spoiler, but I've tagged it just in case:
Just do all the side stories for every character and speak to them all during the Epilogue before entering the Bloom Palace. The True Ending will play after the credits. No special dungeon or bosses.

So many side stories unlocked after chapter 4, just one left now before I can go back to the main story haha.

42 hours on the clock so far, and still really loving this game. Definitely going to be high on my GOTY list.

Vena

No, the people getting low times are definitely doing something that the average person is not. Most reviews or impressions of the game have been saying 50 hours average for main story and 80 hours for every side thing completed since Japanese release.

I ended up around 60 hours in-game time with main story complete with all character side stories and a couple hours in arena. Maybe around 5 or more of those hours idle. This was with minimal grinding most of the game and doing most bosses/quests 5-10 below recommended/enemy level on hard. I also didn't use items much, so maybe that's it (never used one mirror) or being actual level makes things way faster. This isn't counting actual time as doing those fights at low level were pretty difficult for me (the last chapter was maybe the only one I was proper level).

I use Mirrors all the time, and I go into boss fights criminally under-leveled, so that's probably part of what has kept my time down give the breakdowns I've seen. Also I never idle with the game on, so that's also probably part of it.

I'm part way through Chapter 5 with around 55 hours. I try not to idle around when I can (probably only a couple hours worth total?) I've done most side-quest related things, and some Arena, while trying to fill out the map as well. I don't grind, although I have gone farming a few times for the rare enemies. Usually fight whatever I come across unless I've been in an area too long.

I have run around 106 and Daiba Studio a lot doing their puzzles tho

-shadow-

Been grinding the last couple of hours while doing side quests to get the new side stories. But not being able to see how your rank is rising is absolutely terrible. Tsubasa's rank needs to go up buy I have no idea when it'll go 😣

-shadow-

Three savage encounters in the span of five minutes and barely survived the second and third one. Not sure if I should take this as a sign I should stop or not...

Top Bottom