• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
yeah, i searched in google, but all the CENSORSHIP headlines make dont want to enter any of those pages S:

Well, I can't blame you. I'm sure you narrowly escaped clicking on some pretty low-quality rants.

This is in no way an endorsement but I bet you can pretty easily find a post rounding up "censorship" / localization changes by searching on the Kotaku in Action subreddit.

Also there's this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AsjWqCHPZ0w

To bring things full circle (I originally suggested gamefaqs), here is a link to discussion of the video Brakke linked as well as a second thread about the same video

Dee Dee

yeah, i searched in google, but all the CENSORSHIP headlines make dont want to enter any of those pages S:

If you don't want to dig here's the short version, sorted from major to minor effect:

- all bikinis and swimming trunks that were costume DLC and came with a short side story about the cast doing an ad for the local hot spring were removed
- the photography chapter was originally about gravure models, all the girls originally had bathing suits in this, including Maiko and the girls in the photos on the dungeon wall (there's a special Tiki bikini costume that was also changed)
- Kiria's "Dominant Princess" costume was altered (from original trailer, it's also altered in the JP version)
- Tsubasa's "Feel" outfit and her Wedding Dress were altered
- Aversa's breasts are covered by dark mist in her introduction cutscene now
- lots of minor changes, i.e., blurring out panties in upskirt shots, removing shadows on skin that were meant to accentuate the pelvis...

As a female player, I appreciate that they tried to tone down the in your face boobage, but with this game being as niche as it is in the first place, a lot of people that understand and appreciate the culture gap with Japan are kinda pissed that they got a toned down version of something that's hard to grasp without some basic understanding of Japanese entertainment in the first place anyway (again, I'm a female player and all I wanted was swimming trunks for Yashiro...).

The valid criticism however is:
a) The changes lessen the impact of Tsubasa's decision to eventually pose for the photographer, and the joke about the guys opening Maiko's photo book for the first time.
b) A lot of the changes seem rushed (i.e. weird looking Wedding Dress) or inconsequential (i.e. you still see Tsubasa in a bikini in her ad-lib performance)
c) Cutting DLC or any content, even if it's just dumb swim suits, is hardly ever something that fans enjoy

I'm pretty sure I don't really need to make these Carnages to skill up my Session skills before finishing the game, but hell I'm gonna do it anyway

Subconsciously extend the game

Dee Dee

What enemy drops the gem for the third Maiko side story?

Been searching for an hour and no one drops it.

Can you remind me - that was a gem you need for Tiki to craft a lense, right?
I think it's not from normal monsters, you should either have a boss symbol on the map of the dungeon they sent you too, or it was just somewhere on the ground.
Was this in Shibuya 106? Check the place where you saved the producer guy the first time around?
Hated those fetch quests, they all blur into one.

Can you remind me - that was a gem you need for Tiki to craft a lense, right?
I think it's not from normal monsters, you should either have a boss symbol on the map of the dungeon they sent you too, or it was just somewhere on the ground.
Was this in Shibuya 106? Check the place where you saved the producer guy the first time around?
Hated those fetch quests, they all blur into one.

Yes, that lense.

According to Tharja I have to kill some enemy in the unlocked area to get it, but not even Savage enemies drop em.

The mini-boss in Chapter 4 that requires you to
kill them all at the same time
is easily the worst encounter in the game thus far. Nothing about this gimmick has ever been fun. So embarrassing.

Am I crazy or does the leveling progression in this game feel really, really good? Stuff just constantly pops (character levels, stage rank, skills, unity mats) - even grinding out my more underleveled party members feels really satisfying right now.

(I'm level 40-ish, chapter 3.)

Yeah, the game does a really good job at giving you well paced progression. Feels good to get stronger.

SPCTRE

Am I crazy or does the leveling progression in this game feel really, really good? Stuff just constantly pops (character levels, stage rank, skills, unity mats) - even grinding out my more underleveled party members feels really satisfying right now.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

I like going into 10+ sessions begging for Force drops. :3

ST2K

Just started the game, got through the opening area and beat the first boss.

Any tips that you all wish you had known coming in?

Thud

Update your accessoires regularly for more armor. Save often and go back to bloom palace after unlocking warp pads.

Vecks

I think saving often is probably the biggest thing you need to remember since there is no auto-save. I haven't had the game crash on me yet, but it has happened to a few people. And bad luck with savage enemies/bosses can potentially wipe out your party.

I'd add that you should explore as much as you can. Some of the treasure boxes in some out of the way places contain Performa that are needed to unlock certain Radiant Skills.

Neifirst

Just finished the game on Normal after 51 hours and all side quests completed. What a great experience! It was so wonderful to play a turn-based JRPG on an HD console instead of a portable.

Thud

Finished tsubasa's sidequest and the wiiu froze before I could save. Was checking up on the newly acquired skills :(

aBarreras

If you don't want to dig here's the short version, sorted from major to minor effect:

- all bikinis and swimming trunks that were costume DLC and came with a short side story about the cast doing an ad for the local hot spring were removed
- the photography chapter was originally about gravure models, all the girls originally had bathing suits in this, including Maiko and the girls in the photos on the dungeon wall (there's a special Tiki bikini costume that was also changed)
- Kiria's "Dominant Princess" costume was altered (from original trailer, it's also altered in the JP version)
- Tsubasa's "Feel" outfit and her Wedding Dress were altered
- Aversa's breasts are covered by dark mist in her introduction cutscene now
- lots of minor changes, i.e., blurring out panties in upskirt shots, removing shadows on skin that were meant to accentuate the pelvis...

As a female player, I appreciate that they tried to tone down the in your face boobage, but with this game being as niche as it is in the first place, a lot of people that understand and appreciate the culture gap with Japan are kinda pissed that they got a toned down version of something that's hard to grasp without some basic understanding of Japanese entertainment in the first place anyway (again, I'm a female player and all I wanted was swimming trunks for Yashiro...).

The valid criticism however is:
a) The changes lessen the impact of Tsubasa's decision to eventually pose for the photographer, and the joke about the guys opening Maiko's photo book for the first time.
b) A lot of the changes seem rushed (i.e. weird looking Wedding Dress) or inconsequential (i.e. you still see Tsubasa in a bikini in her ad-lib performance)
c) Cutting DLC or any content, even if it's just dumb swim suits, is hardly ever something that fans enjoy

thanks!

actually i thiiiiiiiink or at least i feel that, with the new outfit tsubasa uses to impress the fotographer, she is really impressing everyone with her attitude with her i dont know, her "je ne sais pas", she is the one making everybody look to her direction, on the original version i feel that she impresses just because she is practically nude. but oh well.

and yeah, after finding out about the originals outfits, it was obvious to me was touma was so so so, you know.

muteki

Finished off Chapter 3. I found the boss to be on the easier side, especially compared to chapter 2.

Everyone seems extremely susceptible to Kiria's confusing rainbow vomit and it is only 1 SP so why not?

Dee Dee

When you craft a carnage that covers Yashiro's nice backside. :/

5BvIgaH.jpg

Astral Dog

third dungeon is gorgeous, im surprised now at all the graphics talk early in the thread,this game can look good and animations are pretty good.

um you can equip Radiant Skills without limit ? do you recommend just going for all possible, or waiting a bit? im not sure the game is clear enough.

Also do you ever have a party of four or its only three? :(

with only three the other characters will get behind easily, how can i know who is the best.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
third dungeon is gorgeous, im surprised now at all the graphics talk early in the thread,this game can look good and animations are pretty good.

um you can equip Radiant Skills without limit ? do you recommend just going for all possible, or waiting a bit? im not sure the game is clear enough.

with only three the other characters will get behind easily, how can i know who is the best.

1) Radiant Skills are not limited. You will be limited at times by material available (dat prestige), so you will need to prioritize

2) main cast always is 3, but the sub-cast gets more involved in the action as the story progresses (and managing level gets easier). It's pretty neat

Dee Dee

This is where Radiant Skills come in by the way.

You should always try out new characters that join, as they seem to arrive in a timely manner, where they are extremely useful in just the dungeon that they become available in.
Switching out party members costs no turn! Use it! Three members is fine, and you can unlock Radiant Skills to give your passive members more XP, if you don't switch around during battles.

And bring everyone to Stage Rank 8 asap and make unlocking the "Open Audition" Radiant Skill your top priority! That's honestly the very most usefullest Radiant Skill of them all.
No reason not to unlock the others when you can too.

Just prioritize - you have ample supply of materials, and I generally think you shouldn't burn yourself out on the game by grinding for stuff. Don't worry about frequent trips to the office, save up some loot, then show up every now and then and cherry pick from the stuff Tiki will offer you.

Lusankya

And bring everyone to Stage Rank 8 asap and make unlocking the "Open Audition" Radiant Skill your top priority! That's honestly the very most usefullest Radiant Skill of them all.

Is there any way to tell how long it takes to level up the stage rank? What exactly do you need to do to level it? Is it tied to battle experience?

Dee Dee

Is there any way to tell how long it takes to level up the stage rank? What exactly do you need to do to level it? Is it tied to battle experience?

It's exclusively session participation, there is no progress bar unfortunately. Just bring people to battles and session as much as you can. Switch members out to start sessions. Use items to start sessions. I never felt that it takes long for the rank to rise, but I really like the battles so maybe it feels long if you just battle for the ranks...

Astral Dog

1) Radiant Skills are not limited. You will be limited at times by material available (dat prestige), so you will need to prioritize

2) main cast always is 3, but the sub-cast gets more involved in the action as the story progresses (and managing level gets easier). It's pretty neat

This is where Radiant Skills come in by the way.

You should always try out new characters that join, as they seem to arrive in a timely manner, where they are extremely useful in just the dungeon that they become available in.
Switching out party members costs no turn! Use it! Three members is fine, and you can unlock Radiant Skills to give your passive members more XP, if you don't switch around during battles.

Just prioritize - you have ample supply of materials, and I generally think you shouldn't burn yourself out on the game by grinding for stuff. Don't worry about frequent trips to the office, save up some loot, then show up every now and then and cherry pick from the stuff Tiki will offer you.
Thank you,
also, about the sessions, the max limit would be about three right? is there a way to have more than two at a turn.

Dee Dee

Thank you,
also, about the sessions, the max limit would be about three right? is there a way to have more than two at a turn.

Open Audition.
Just. Do it.

Edit: Sorry, no need to be cryptic on my part.
The Radiant Skill "Open Audition" lets party members join sessions even when they are in subcast.

Much later in the game you will unlock duo arts, which can trigger a second session string.

I once managed to trigger duo arts twice in a row... *_*

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well bummer, I thought there's be a special item for beating the Fighters' Hall room in the DLC dungeons, but guess not?

Oh well, everyone is around level 52 & got all the stuff I can make/earn via 5-star prestige. Guess it's time to focus on beating the Ch. 5 dungeon now, especially since I can't seem to talk to Yashiro to do his next side-story.

Dee Dee

Well bummer, I thought there's be a special item for beating the Fighters' Hall room in the DLC dungeons, but guess not?

Oh well, everyone is around level 52 & got all the stuff I can make/earn via 5-star prestige. Guess it's time to focus on beating the Ch. 5 dungeon now, especially since I can't seem to talk to Yashiro to do his next side-story.

That side-story will only unlock half-way through chapter 6, I waited for it forever too.
It's a good one though, don't miss it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's his final side-story & the game said it was available with even the Topic appearing, but when I went to the location that he told me to, he wasn't there.

But yeah, I just need Mamori, Yashiro, Maiko, Barry, & Tiki's final side-stories and everyone will be completed. Also getting close to maxing everyone's stage ranks, as they're at 15 for the most part (Mamori's at 13, Yashiro's 14).

Edit: yo whaaaaaaaaaat, this Ch. 5 boss reveal.

Edit 2: Ch. 5 completed, 56 hours in. Intermission time, looks like I can do Maiko, Mamori, & Barry's final side-stories.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Barry is creepy af in his last side story.
Yeaaaaaaah, I just saw the cutscene and.....Barry's reputation kept getting lower as the game went on...

Having trouble with a request, where the hell
is Doc Camera to buy the soothing cream? I see 2 stores in Shibuya, but neither give me the option to buy it.

Dee Dee

Having trouble with a request, where the hell
is Doc Camera to buy the soothing cream? I see 2 stores in Shibuya, but neither give me the option to buy it.

It's in Shibuya, same street side as the jewelry store. You have to talk to the employee in front of it to trigger the quest progress.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's in Shibuya, same street side as the jewelry. You have to talk to the employee in front of it to trigger the quest progress.
Thank you, I tried doing that, but I must've missed a person/talked to the wrong ones.

Edit: Okay, what the hell, I'm trying to do Barry's final story, but
the damn number thing doesn't seem to be working. I go through 0 & 1, but then when entering 2, it takes me back to the main room. What am I doing wrong?
Edit 2: nevermind, I totally forgot about the item that tells you what to do....

.....oooohhhhhhh, this video you get after finishing Barry's final story.......uuuuhhhhhh......omg, you even get
a duo art based on that music video? not sure if I want to see

IceIpor

Hmm.. Just beat the game, but I've noticed that Tiki's song Beastie Game was never sung.
Was kind of disappointed in not having a music video for that too.

HIUHAU

I'm thinking about getting this game now I'm on vacation, but I can't decided between it and Super Mario Maker, I mean, I really liked Persona 3 FES (beaten last year), but as I'm already playing Xenoblade X I don't know if I'll have the time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*starts Mamori's final side-story* Good lord, did Draug turn into Barry for this quest? GEEEZ, DAAAAAAD.

......*finishes quest*
OH GOD, MAMORI IS FINALLY SHOWING HER TRUE ANGER, and Maiko & Itsuki's reactions are priceless

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm thinking about getting this game now I'm on vacation, but I can't decided between it and Super Mario Maker, I mean, I really liked Persona 3 FES (beaten last year), but as I'm already playing Xenoblade X I don't know if I'll have the time.
Hey, it's only like 60 hours.

Brakke

Banned
This game is a long 60 hours tho. I have actually enjoyed revisiting old dungeons once I got the wall-breaker Unity... But man this game sure does recycle enemies and areas and concepts, and boy do battle take forever when you're hitting full-cast Sessions ever attack. Too many loads, too. Noticeable hangs when the game loads up Duo Art animations, for example.

Friends, im probably just brain farting bc its late, but where exactly do i get inferno force personas? I nees one to complete Touma's Ningen Mukotsu Carnage

Toaster05

Pretty sure I know the answer to this already but I figured I'd ask here.

I couldn't get hold of the Fortissimo edition in the UK so I imported from Australia. (PAL region also) Am I correct in thinking there is no way now to redeem DLC codes as I'm tied to the EU/UK eShop?

If so I'm guessing there is no reason why I can't simply purchase the DLC off my own eShop right?

Sadist

Question about the last Maiko sidequest;

I have to look for material dropped by strong enemies to get a lens... but which enemies drop it in the Shibuya 106 Idolasphere?

Brakke

Banned
This game was GREAT.

I finished it today at 60hrs with all side stories, but there are a few weapons I didn't unlock and I didn't reclass anyone more than once.
The combat and dungeons were great. I played it on normal and I found it a little too easy. Some of the bosses and savage enemies did provide some challenge. My next playthrough will be on hard.
I enjoyed the characters and the story as well. Wish there were more side stories though. I feel like I didn't get enough of the cast.

Hoping we get a sequel or a "golden" version on NX.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heh, I noticed that the headphones that Tiki=Waifu (&
Tiki wears after her 3rd side-story)
wears are the same colors & layout as the Super Famicom controller buttons.

Wish Yashiro's final side-story would finally come back, that's the last one I need to do.

Sadist

Thanks!

Btw, I know Barry is the worst, but damn he made me laugh in Tiki's third story.

Hey guys I'm gonna train in the Idolasphere so everybody think I'm cool again.

no Barry, you're not strong, no Mirage, no weapons etc.

Barry: TL;DR

Lol

Top Bottom