• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars |OT| Ghost Recon meets Advance Wars

Beat the game a few days ago. An extremely solid tactics game. Never had so much fun with a game of this genre. Now to run through the skirmish missions. ^_^

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Neuromancer said:
Want to get irritated? Read these YouTube comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc3PUSPLvUw&feature=feedu

Yeah I pretty much closed it after getting to this comment

@ThePimpGamer555 :/ I guess you don't understand the meaning of JK (just kidding) :/ have a good day Kiddo ;) and next time try not to act like a Tough Guy :/ Once again.. I was Just Kidding and no I'm no child molester I'm just a NOOB Pwner :D JK wink wink

I can't even sum of up the interest to trawl through to find out what start this excellent exchange..also the amount of Dislikes this getting.

I'll be honest seeing the screen shots of the game, I thought Just a DS game rushed onto the 3DS but after playing it I admit I was wrong...so glad I am.

Jintor

Finished the game, not really enthused to play more of it.

I really need a shiny Fire Emblem that isn't Shadow Dragon.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
completed the game...
still need to unlock the skirmish missions, but one of the best handheld experiences I have had.. great game and so far my most played game on the 3DS.

I think I'm on the final mission now. This game sure has been a ride. Been playing everything on elite to give myself a decent challenge since normal mode is too easy. Some missions have been absolutely brutal, but that's what I like.

Really glad I decided to buy this despite not being a Ghost Recon fan at all.

Deadly Cyclone said:
How long is the game? I am absolutely loving it, but I just started chapter 3 and I'm 14 hours in. How many chapters are there?
7 I believe. Yeah it's a long game, longer still if you count the skirmish missions.

PKrockin

Well, I really made a mistake in renting this. I thought I could blaze through it in 15 hours easily but I'm 11 hours in and at the end of chapter 2. I had no idea it was so long.

They weren't kidding when they said the story and characters were garbage. I liked it but I can't wait for a Fire Emblem 3DS that can deliver a good story and characters as well as solid gameplay.

Seda

PKrockin said:
Well, I really made a mistake in renting this. I thought I could blaze through it in 15 hours easily but I'm 11 hours in and at the end of chapter 2. I had no idea it was so long.

They weren't kidding when they said the story and characters were garbage. I liked it but I can't wait for a Fire Emblem 3DS that can deliver a good story and characters as well as solid gameplay.

We haven't even gotten this one yet.....:(

Tim-E

Head up to anyone interested that hasn't picked the game up; Toys R Us has this game on sale for $15.99 (and some other 3DS titles) for this week only (in-store only, as well).

I've written a review of Shadow Wars. You can check it out here. Since I'm experienced with tactics games it's a different perspective than your usual review.

I noticed some of you talking about more western developed tactics games. There are actually plenty being released all the time, mostly for PC and iPhone/iPad. Check the list here.

mjemirzian said:
I've written a review of Shadow Wars. You can check it out here. Since I'm experienced with tactics games it's a different perspective than your usual review.

I noticed some of you talking about more western developed tactics games. There are actually plenty being released all the time, mostly for PC and iPhone/iPad. Check the list here.
If you turn off the wireless, it doesn't crash at all (in my experience). Anyway, harsh review!

Kazerei

Banned
mjemirzian said:

I agree completely with your review. I don't get why Shadow Wars is getting recommended so much. It's like the game was sparked by a unique, interesting idea, but it never got fully fleshed out. The final product is just incredibly boring. While it's still one of the better 3DS launch titles, that's not saying much.

mjemirzian said:

I don't usually read reviews but I decided to take a look since I haven't been a big fan. My main problem when playing this game (since I don't play many of these tactics games) is that I'd rather be playing Advance Wars. My first game in this style.

legbone

this is by far my favorite 3ds title this year. hell, it's in my top 5 releases on any platform. anyway, i picked up a copy of advance wars dual strike and i am enjoying it also. i haven't had so much tbs fun since front mission 4 on the ps2. so guys, how is the fire emblem series. is it a lot like this but with a fantasy setting? i am thinking about picking up the ds one (can't remember the subtitle). just figured you guys would have some impressions.

Neuromancer said:
If you turn off the wireless, it doesn't crash at all (in my experience). Anyway, harsh review!
I've had the game crash even after I turned the wireless off. And I've also discovered a repeatable hardlock crash during one mission, and some bugs that make a certain mission impossible to complete. I've read on boards that some crashes even result in save data being lost.

Anyway, I don't think the review was too harsh. I gave the game credit for having solid if simple depth and decent if repetitive missions, and I feel it's fair to criticize the UI, combat speed, and stability of the game engine. The UI is very important in turn based tactics games, it's like if you were playing an action game except it had input lag and crappy controls that made it hard to accurately and reliably control your character - same idea. And the combat speed is important for the more skilled gamers who don't want to put up with all the unnecessary time wasting programmed into the game.

Most importantly, the latest Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and Super Robot Taisen games have pretty much perfected their UI, combat speed (or ability to skip animations), and are running on rock solid engines. Turn based tactics games are one of the few genres where the west is still lagging behind Japan.

GeekyDad

VGChampion said:
I don't usually read reviews but I decided to take a look since I haven't been a big fan. My main problem when playing this game (since I don't play many of these tactics games) is that I'd rather be playing Advance Wars. My first game in this style.

Funny, I came here to post essentially the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Shadow Wars and glad to have a decent TBS readily available so early on for 3DS, but it's hard not to imagine what a 3DS version of AW would (will?) be like while playing this game. SW has some pretty cool features, though. I especially like how they work the line-of-sight thing. The dialogue so far is actually better than I'd expected, though the cutscenes are complete throwaways. Either way, I'm still very early on in the game, so I'll reserve judgment. At the very least, I want to keep playing.

Rekubot

First of all, this game is awesome.

Second, I think I've run into a bug on the train yard level (chapter 5 I think).
The young bad guy just laughed at the old robot builder guy for being so naive, then a bunch more enemies spawned so I killed them, now the only red dot left is the old guy in the top-right building. He has 1hp from when I stabbed him earlier, but now I can't enter the building to finish him off.
Am I missing something or will I have to restart the level?

You need to restart. They both need to leave the area. You triggered it in another way and it won't end! I did the exact same thing though. Was so pissed that time :(

Oh, man. I haven't bought/been interested in a handheld console for ages, but for some reason, I'm feeling the itch to splurge on one and this game isn't making it any easier. What say you? Shadow Wars + Zelda: OoT = reason enough?

mickcenary said:
Oh, man. I haven't bought/been interested in a handheld console for ages, but for some reason, I'm feeling the itch to splurge on one and this game isn't making it any easier. What say you? Shadow Wars + Zelda: OoT = reason enough?
mjemirzian said:
If you want tactics games, you're better off getting a DS and PSP. They are both region free and have a huge library.
Although I am a fan of Shadow Wars and Zelda: OoT 3D I still think mjermirzian is right. If you want a handheld console with an excellent library and some great strategy games than DS is the way to go. Of course, if you're interested in what the 3DS has to offer in the future you can always buy a 3DS and play DS games on it. Many will be quick to point out that DS games look worse on the 3DS but I've played quite a few on mine and the difference (from my DS Lite) isn't noticeable enough to bother me.

Thanks for the replies, guys. And apologies for my late reply. I picked it up the other day; it's pretty rad. On a sidenote: does anyone else's cartridge sound/feel like something within it is loose whence you give it a little shake? I've heard that this "phenomenon" is game specific, so to speak, i.e. everything within my OoT cartridge is sturdily fixed.

mickcenary said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. And apologies for my late reply. I picked it up the other day; it's pretty rad. On a sidenote: does anyone else's cartridge sound/feel like something within it is loose whence you give it a little shake? I've heard that this "phenomenon" is game specific, so to speak, i.e. everything within my OoT cartridge is sturdily fixed.
I've never heard of that happening before, although my hinge is a little wobbly. I would say I'm sorry you just got a 3DS before the price-drop but at least you're an ambassador now... right?

I picked Shadow Wars back up the other day after not playing it for a few months and managed to beat the first mission of the final chapter. I played this game so much when I first got it but finishing it off has been a far greater obstacle, it seems.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I've never heard of that happening before, although my hinge is a little wobbly. I would say I'm sorry you just got a 3DS before the price-drop but at least you're an ambassador now... right?

I picked Shadow Wars back up the other day after not playing it for a few months and managed to beat the first mission of the final chapter. I played this game so much when I first got it but finishing it off has been a far greater obstacle, it seems.

Nah, mang. The cartridge itself, outside of the 3DS. The console is fine and the game has run without a hitch.

Thanks for the response, though.

robin2

Rumors/hopes about it being ported to DS?

Being a Gollop (underrated game designer) game, I want to play it, but I won't buy the 3DS...

This game is pretty good, definitely enjoying it. Gfx look like ass though, which is not a big issue but still could have used a little more effort.

mjemirzian said:
If you want tactics games, you're better off getting a DS and PSP. They are both region free and have a huge library.
3DS plays DS games, even the imported ones. Well at least the ones I imported but it should be universal I guess.

AniHawk

robin2 said:
Rumors/hopes about it being ported to DS?

Being a Gollop (underrated game designer) game, I want to play it, but I won't buy the 3DS...

probably not going to happen, since it was a ds game to start with.

Phife Dawg said:
3DS plays DS games, even the imported ones. Well at least the ones I imported but it should be universal I guess.
Well to be fair, mjemerzian made his suggestion before the 3DS price drop was announced. At $170 I definitely think you're better off buying a 3DS than a DS and using it to play any DS games that you missed and are interested in.

Of course there is still the whole issue of how DS games look on the 3DS but like I said, how that affects you will really vary from person to person. A few days ago I looked at Advance Wars: Days of Ruin side by side on my DS and 3DS and the DS image definitely looked sharper, but the somewhat smoother look of the 3DS image wasn't enough to stop me from playing it on that system. It's just something to keep in mind for those who value that type of thing more than me.

Phife Dawg said:
Not true. Any "DSi Enhanced" DS game is region locked on DSi and 3DS systems, but not region locked on the original DS or DS Lite, since it was never built to check for region encoding. 3DS games can also be region locked, of course.

I finally managed to finish this game up last night. The campaign took me just over 31 hours to finish on Elite, not too shabby for a launch game.

I was expecting a difficulty spike in the last chapter (or at least the last mission) but things never got too challenging. Still, the last few missions were well designed and satisfying to play through. I'm a huge fan of what they did with this game, I'd love to see a sequel someday with a better story, deeper leveling mechanics, more unit customization, and more units to choose from.

Effect

I hope the low sales don't put off Ubisoft from making another one like this but better. They did just simply put it out there, up port from the DS and it was a launch game. I can imagine what a true 3DS game like this would be like.

Effect said:
I hope the low sales don't put off Ubisoft from making another one like this but better. They did just simply put it out there, up port from the DS and it was a launch game. I can imagine what a true 3DS game like this would be like.
Something tells me that with the small development and marketing budget this game probably got, I bet it did all right.

In fact, looking back at the March NPD's, this was the 5th best selling 3DS game, beating out Super Monkey Ball, Nintendogs+Cats, Ridge Racer and Steel Diver.

mjemirzian said:
Not true. Any "DSi Enhanced" DS game is region locked on DSi and 3DS systems, but not region locked on the original DS or DS Lite, since it was never built to check for region encoding. 3DS games can also be region locked, of course.
There are DSi enhanced tactics games? Actually there are DSi enhanced games?

The_Darkest_Red said:
Well to be fair, mjemerzian made his suggestion before the 3DS price drop was announced. At $170 I definitely think you're better off buying a 3DS than a DS and using it to play any DS games that you missed and are interested in.

Of course there is still the whole issue of how DS games look on the 3DS but like I said, how that affects you will really vary from person to person. A few days ago I looked at Advance Wars: Days of Ruin side by side on my DS and 3DS and the DS image definitely looked sharper, but the somewhat smoother look of the 3DS image wasn't enough to stop me from playing it on that system. It's just something to keep in mind for those who value that type of thing more than me.
Well the argument was to better buy a DS or PSP because they have a bigger library of tactics games. It's just that the 3DS has access to the DS' library (apparently minus the plethora of DSi enhanced tactics games from Japan ;-)) which is what I was saying. Whether or not the machine is worth 250 or 170 is a different story altogether. But yeah at 170 it's a no-brainer really.

As per newest firmware the DS games look fine and not washed out any more for me. I'm usually quite allergic to these things too.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I finally managed to finish this game up last night. The campaign took me just over 31 hours to finish on Elite, not too shabby for a launch game.

I was expecting a difficulty spike in the last chapter (or at least the last mission) but things never got too challenging. Still, the last few missions were well designed and satisfying to play through. I'm a huge fan of what they did with this game, I'd love to see a sequel someday with a better story, deeper leveling mechanics, more unit customization, and more units to choose from.
Haven't played through it all the way but I'd also welcome the possibility of a more zoomed out view - should be no big deal with the added power of the 3DS. Oh and cleaner gfx would be nice as well. I'm OK with few units to chose from, kinda fits with the idea. More customization would be ace though.

CrankyKong said:
Has anyone beaten the lighthouse skirmish mission?
It seems so cheap, almost like it cant be done without luck
I can't remember, I'll have to look. Is that the one where you have a bunch of engineers and enemies come in from the top right corner?

Neuromancer said:
I can't remember, I'll have to look. Is that the one where you have a bunch of engineers and enemies come in from the top right corner?

Yeah, and it all comes down to your turrets surviving the waves.
I dont think its possible for the engineers to survive

Phife Dawg said:
Haven't played through it all the way but I'd also welcome the possibility of a more zoomed out view - should be no big deal with the added power of the 3DS. Oh and cleaner gfx would be nice as well. I'm OK with few units to chose from, kinda fits with the idea. More customization would be ace though.
Oh yeah, I would love a more zoomed out camera view as well. The tactical map on the bottom screen helped to keep this minor annoyance from being a serious one, though.

I also agree about the graphics. They were serviceable but it was pretty obvious that the game was born as a DS project. More colors and terrain variety would be welcome, and the character design could also use some work.

I don't mind having a small number of units per mission (in fact 6 feels perfect to me) but I would like to have a pool of maybe 10 or 12 to choose from. I guess that would be difficult seeing how different every unit is, though.

CrankyKong said:
Yeah, and it all comes down to your turrets surviving the waves.
I dont think its possible for the engineers to survive
I think the key is probably to hide as many engineers in the lighthouse as possible. Yeah I don't think I ever did beat that one.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I picked this up at Target last week. I'm really enjoying it.

Was this game originally suppose to be a GI Joe game? The lead character is Duke, and the rest of the characters look heavily "inspired" by other Joe characters too. I don't mind, in fact, I kind of like it... It makes me want to see full-blown GI Joe game just like it (but more challenging and less glitchy).

Picked this up at Best Buy for $20. I know I'm LTTP. I'm only a few missions in, but I'm really enjoying the mechanics so far. Very satisfying, and there's certainly the possibility for a lot of depth as the missions get harder.

giggas

Grabbed this off Amazon when it was a Black Friday deal (it was under 15 dollars). I don't normally get into games like this, but since I always hear good things about it I decided to give it a shot.

I'm really liking it much more than I thought I would. I usually suck at games like this (gave up on FF Tactics after about an hour and a half of playing it for example), so I'm playing it on easy. So far, yeah, it's kind of easy, but the missions are so long that I'm not sure I have it in me to put an hour into a mission only to fail it at the end and have to repeat it again. Am I robbing myself of the real experience with this game doing so? Is it THAT much harder playing on normal or is it fair? Thanks in advance.

inthegray

if you hit start and go into the menu, there's a manual save option, so you won't have to restart all the way at the beginning of a mission. i'd suggest doing this anyway, just to make sure you can recover if you get hit by the wireless/freezing bug.

Top Bottom