• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars |OT| Ghost Recon meets Advance Wars

Banshee user and abuser here. Gotta love that knife!

I'm very hopeful for the future of TBSRPGs on this little handheld. Bring on Fire Emblem plz!

Jubbly

There are a huge amount of typos in this game: "Kicking as as a team again!" Think you meant "ass as a team," old chap.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Jubbly said:
There are a huge amount of typos in this game: "Kicking as as a team again!" Think you meant "ass as a team," old chap.

I'm pretty sure it says 'Kicking as a team again' as I thought the same thing when I first saw it. Of course I died (Playing Elite difficulty for first playthrough) and the second time I saw it I noticed it wasn't a typo.

Jubbly said:

Joey Fox said:
The only one I've noticed through chapter four is "Assassinated" as "Asinated"

Something funny going on here. Ass becomes As, Assass also becomes As.

How much harder is the second difficulty level compared to rookie? I've been playing on rookie, done probably 5 or missions and I am thinking of going one level up.
I like the game though, tons of fun.One of the best launch games.

AniHawk

AstroLad said:
Those are the only two I've seen.

And I've been reading very closely.

it has me on edge too. the part where they had to invade that place to go after the bad guy blew my mind.

Bog

Junior Ace
I really do love the game, but the "one guy dies and it's a game over" thing is pretty fucking stupid.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Bog said:
I really do love the game, but the "one guy dies and it's a game over" thing is pretty fucking stupid.

I'm fine with it. It gives the game a Fire Emblem feel and makes every move important.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Dude. End of Chapter 5 spoilers.
This story is so fucking lame, seriously. And what the Hell was up with the Morozov battle. No final speech? He never even attacked my squad! My squad is extremely overpowered as well, and the only reason I ever die is that the enemy's units are getting stronger. Also, LLOL at Saffron's face talking about the beach.

Can anyone tell me if Chapter 6 is difficult? On Elite here.

Jubbly

Gen X said:
I'm pretty sure it says 'Kicking as a team again' as I thought the same thing when I first saw it. Of course I died (Playing Elite difficulty for first playthrough) and the second time I saw it I noticed it wasn't a typo.

But that makes no sense either... Perhaps an overeager censor at Ubisoft QA decided to have a fiddle with the game's script?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Hey, this is me just thinking out loud, but the thread title should totally have X-COM squeezed in there somewhere, but whatever.

Jintor

Ysiadmihi said:
I'm fine with it. It gives the game a Fire Emblem feel and makes every move important.

The best Fire Emblem feel is staggering onwards with crippling wounds to your party before inevitably getting overwhelmingly shanked because your critically important character died three missions ago, making the game unwinnable

Anyway I'm trying to think about what makes this game tactically very good

- Move distance squares and shoot distance squares are really good, easy to understand at a glance, less confusing than X-Com time units but less permissive than FFTA/Fire Emblem/Advance Wars 'always be able to move and shoot'.

- Cover system is good because it promotes tactical situational awareness without being overwhelmingly cheap. Elevation changes also counts here

- Reaction fire?

- Weapon ranges, damage values at different ranges

Anybody more experienced in this genre want to chat about this?

flipswitch said:
How much harder is the second difficulty level compared to rookie? I've been playing on rookie, done probably 5 or missions and I am thinking of going one level up.
I like the game though, tons of fun.One of the best launch games.
I haven't played on rookie but I can't imagine that normal is too difficult. Elite has been fairly tame so far, and I'm about 3 missions into Chapter 5. I say give it a shot.

AniHawk said:
it has me on edge too. the part where they had to invade that place to go after the bad guy blew my mind.
I know, right? That part was almost as intense as the time that you chased after the guy and he got away. You really have to feel for those Ghosts.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The_Darkest_Red said:
I know, right? That part was almost as intense as the time that you chased after the guy and he got away. You really have to feel for those Ghosts.
uh . . . spoilers? some of us haven't finished the game yet

suaveric

Finished the game last night, came in around 22 hours. The story was terrible, but other than that, I'd highly recommend the game to anyone who liked Fire Emblem. I'm not really sure why Advance Wars is in the title of the thread, it clearly is much closer to FE.

Effect

Surprisingly the game looks better then I expected. The 3D effect isn't so bad. Still on the early missions in chapter 1 but so far enjoyable. I started on Veteran but I think I might go up to the next level.

I am currently stuck on a mission called perimeter sweep at chapter 2.I've spent close to 2hours on it, on the veteran level and still can't pass it!

It's weird, the mission before this one was easy.The difficulty level went through the roof.

Has anyone passed this mission that could give me a few tips?

edit: Ended up completing it.This game rocks!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Mission 7-1 on Elite is a bitch. I completed the mission (and failed an objective) but if it had gone just one more turn I would have lost.

That mission in chapter 7 battling that giant drone is crazy on Elite, most of the missions were a breeze until this one. So I had to beat it on easy so I could level up more.

Fusebox

Banned
Got my first few crashes around chapter 4 last night.

One black error message screen, then next time it faded to a black screen with nothing written on it, and the last time was another black error screen.

Jintor

Sometimes I hate how mid-mission the game will offer new objectives that you're suddenly incredibly unsuited to begin

OH SHIT NOW WE'RE GONNA FLOOD YOU WITH DROOOOOOOOOONES

Ah well, that's the nature of the game I guess

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I’m not going to spoiler tag anything so if you don’t want to know about mission 7-2 then don’t read on.

I clearly missed the design philosophy behind mission 7-2. The start of the fight was pretty tough, just Duke and Banshee taking on 3 drones, about 10 soldiers (some with rocket launchers even) and 2 turrets. After a couple of tries I finally cleared the room which then leads to a room full of drones. Well Duke obviously can’t approach them because if they spot him they go apeshit and obliterate him in a single turn, so that leaves Banshee. All Banshee can do is just take pot shots at them round after round after round with her pea shooter. Eventually I cleared that room as well but I had to have missed something. Is that really what you’re suppose to do? Just pick at them for over 50 rounds while they stay completely motionless?

AniHawk

Gouty said:
I’m not going to spoiler tag anything so if you don’t want to know about mission 7-2 then don’t read on.

I clearly missed the design philosophy behind mission 7-2. The start of the fight was pretty tough, just Duke and Banshee taking on 3 drones, about 10 soldiers (some with rocket launchers even) and 2 turrets. After a couple of tries I finally cleared the room which then leads to a room full of drones. Well Duke obviously can’t approach them because if they spot him they go apeshit and obliterate him in a single turn, so that leaves Banshee. All Banshee can do is just take pot shots at them round after round after round with her pea shooter. Eventually I cleared that room as well but I had to have missed something. Is that really what you’re suppose to do? Just pick at them for over 50 rounds while they stay completely motionless?

equip him with his heavy rocket launcher, equip her with emp grenades. save your super attacks for the room and fucking let loose.

I think I've glitched the game. I'm on the level where you have to blow up a train. I did that (which took forever because I left a turret next to it), but managed to get at the people in the buildings on the top right of the map. Then more dudes show up, I take them out and now the two people in the buildings (the story villians) are just stuck there with 1hp a piece (I kept shooting them beforehand). I guess I'll start the map over but it sucks to lose so much time.

AColdDay

robut said:
I think I've glitched the game. I'm on the level where you have to blow up a train. I did that (which took forever because I left a turret next to it), but managed to get at the people in the buildings on the top right of the map. Then more dudes show up, I take them out and now the two people in the buildings (the story villians) are just stuck there with 1hp a piece (I kept shooting them beforehand). I guess I'll start the map over but it sucks to lose so much time.
That's why I've gotten into the habit of saving every ten minutes or so. This game will inevitibly give me the bsod when I forget to turn the wifi off, so its really gotten me in the habit of saving often.

So far I'm only on Chapter 2, and Elite mode, while not really that difficult so far, is still just hard enough to be fun.

BUT this is without using save files to abuse. The difficulty would drop greatly if I did that, I think.

I can't understand what the Russian Politicians are talking about so I ended up skimming over the cutscenes entirely pretty much.

I haven't updated my firmware at all and I haven't gotten a BSOD yet. People say that turning off wireless fixes it, and the new firmwares change how wireless works, apparently, but I don't know why this would matter to GR: SW.

Fusebox

Banned
robut said:
I had to restart that mission too, I was able to get Banshee inside and start knifing them and once you do that they never die or leave and the mission breaks.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Fusebox said:
I had to restart that mission too, I was able to get Banshee inside and start knifing them and once you do that they never die or leave and the mission breaks.

Wow that's cool. I like doing things the game doesn't expect. Did anyone else do this in the next to last level of Chapter 6?
Beat it in three turns, by knifing the shit out of the officer with Banshee, using the Stim and double strike.
I think it might be possible to do in two, but I'm not sure.

Jintor

By the way, this might be the first turn-based strategy game I've played (bar X-Com) where I haven't had the need to 'block' characters with other characters, probably because everybody has guns and pretty much anybody dying is an instant mission fail

I got my first system freeze yesterday while I was playing this game. No black screens or anything, just a completely locked system while in the middle of a battle. I've played for about 20 hours so it hasn't been a big issue to me.

The game is still managing to be pretty interesting even in the later chapters (playing on Elite). I just finished 6-2 which was a small but surprisingly satisfying stage, probably one of my favorites so far.

I'm finding that all of the characters have a useful role.
Haze becomes really useful once he gets the heavy sniper rifle that does 100% damage to drones/vehicles, and Banshee steps down a notch (to where she is only twice as good as everyone instead of three times as good ;) ) once you get to some of the later stages where drones/vehicles make up the bulk of your opposition. I'm also loving Mint's pistols that can immobilize drones/vehicles for a turn.

yeoz

robut said:
That mission is full of bugs. If you abuse free turns from stims and destroy the train PRIOR to the first set of reinforcements arriving (including the named NPCs), the in-game event in which they leave immediately happens, but, before they've actually arrived. So, when they do actually arrive, they won't be able to leave because the in-game event can't be triggered again. Which makes the level unfinishable too, since neither of them can be killed.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The_Darkest_Red said:
The game is still managing to be pretty interesting even in the later chapters (playing on Elite). I just finished 6-2 which was a small but surprisingly satisfying stage, probably one of my favorites so far.

I'm finding that all of the characters have a useful role.
Haze becomes really useful once he gets the heavy sniper rifle that does 100% damage to drones/vehicles, and Banshee steps down a notch (to where she is only twice as good as everyone instead of three times as good ;) ) once you get to some of the later stages where drones/vehicles make up the bulk of your opposition. I'm also loving Mint's pistols that can immobilize drones/vehicles for a turn.

Near the end, it seems like Duke and Banshee are the two most important characters in the game, just like the intro would lead you to believe. As far as Haze's importance:
in Chapter 7 you can use him to pick off snipers and other enemies, but the game does a good job of not allowing you to abuse this too much. If you sit around picking people too much, a patrol is going to come out to wipe you out. The level with the tanks is a good example of this. I like how you are forced, as far as I know, to split up your team in order to accomplish the secondary objective.
Mint's abilities are very good, yes, but I don't use him nearly as much in a lot of cases, except to provide suppressive fire with the turret, because he is subject to return fire. It depends on the level. Richter is kind of eh.

newsguy

I'm stuck on a level. I actually hadn't failed a level before this. You guys probably know the one. The Bunker where u can't use banshee. How the hell do u guys do it? Like 12 waves of enemies come out and by the time you're done with them its on to heavy gunners and drones.

tuffy

newsguy said:
I'm stuck on a level. I actually hadn't failed a level before this. You guys probably know the one. The Bunker where u can't use banshee. How the hell do u guys do it? Like 12 waves of enemies come out and by the time you're done with them its on to heavy gunners and drones.
The weak rifle guys at the start are easy enough to mow down by picking them apart at the edges to cut down on return fire. The heavy gunners and drones like to cluster together and/or hide behind things, so I had Duke launch lots of rockets at them. Keeping my squad together and moving methodically from room to room made it manageable. The only tricky part was when a door opened with a bunch of enemies behind it after most of my team had moved, but by then I had enough command points that I could send Banshee on a reactivate-powered killing spree.

Mohonky

I am stuck here. Chapter 6 I believe, you can only select 3 units and your mission is to prevent vehicles passing through a ravine. The vehicles come in from the north west and exit to the south east. Destroying the vehicles is no problem but I am getting destroyed by the snipers and drones. Any tips?

Mohonky said:
I am stuck here. Chapter 6 I believe, you can only select 3 units and your mission is to prevent vehicles passing through a ravine. The vehicles come in from the north west and exit to the south east. Destroying the vehicles is no problem but I am getting destroyed by the snipers and drones. Any tips?
I went with an unorthodox combo on this one, Mint, Haze, and Saffron. At the very beginning I rushed Mint to the northernmost flag and planted a turret there, using Saffron's Stim to help him get there faster. I then used that turret to suppress the enemy with the rocket launcher. I planted Haze in the building in the middle of the level with the heavy sniper rifle and picked off vehicles and drones from there. From there it's just a matter of using Mint's pistol to incapacitate drones while running around healing and stiming with Saffron as necessary.

I had to try that level a few times with a few different combinations of units but that seemed to work best for me. Hope it helps. Playing on elite, by the way.

Top Bottom