• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars |OT| Ghost Recon meets Advance Wars

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Joey Fox said:
I'm having way more fun with this than I am with my other launch games.

It does seem easy so far, through mission four. I should not be able to complete missions on elite so easily.
those early missions are all basically tutorial missions. figure that they don't want to alienate the dudebro crowd right away so they have to slowly ease them into things. the game just makes me want ac!d but i hope it does great and we can get more tactical games, hopefully clever ones too not just srpgs

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Just fucked up the very end of mission 2-4. I accidentally moved someone directly into harms way when trying to lob a grenade between two enemies. I wish the missions had check points or a revive function. One mistake and the mission is over, kida harsh. Oh well, still a great game.

dock

I've been seriously considering this. I'm just worried it'll be dry and dull and stat-heavy - the world and scenario is drab, and the portraits are unappealing. I'm also a bit anti-ubisoft and tom clancy games, so it's a hard sell, but I do love Fire Emblem.

Does it have multiple save files (if I want to try out a friend's copy, for example)?

Xater

dock said:
I've been seriously considering this. I'm just worried it'll be dry and dull and stat-heavy - the world and scenario is drab, and the portraits are unappealing. I'm also a bit anti-ubisoft and tom clancy games, so it's a hard sell, but I do love Fire Emblem.

Does it have multiple save files (if I want to try out a friend's copy, for example)?

4 save files and it's not really a stat heavy game. You just earn stars on missions of which you can give each team member two at most. These stars unlock more health or better equipment.

dock said:

So far the world and story are pretty boring but the gameplay is solid. The game doesn't seem stat heavy at all, there is actually very little to do outside of the battles. I'm really enjoying the 3D, though.

It's not Fire Emblem but it's a good pick-up if you're looking for a fun strategy game.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Add me to the list of people saying to buy this game. GAF was right, definitely the sleeper hit of the launch line-up.

My favourite use of 3D so far as well, suits the style of game perfectly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Xater said:
4 save files and it's not really a stat heavy game. You just earn stars on missions of which you can give each team member two at most. These stars unlock more health or better equipment.
i'm on like mission 5 or 6 or something and i got 4 stars but i noticed there were only two people left who could still get stars and they could only get 2 each. is that common or does it change to the point where our star-assigning has more significance or are you always just basically working towards being maxed out then starting over again?

Xater

AstroLad said:
i'm on like mission 5 or 6 or something and i got 4 stars but i noticed there were only two people left who could still get stars and they could only get 2 each. is that common or does it change to the point where our star-assigning has more significance or are you always just basically working towards being maxed out then starting over again?

More progression options get unlocked when you get further into the campaign. There are also missions where you don't get a lot of stars or don't have all your teammates. I am in chapter 5 and none of my characters are maxed out. I have a few favorites (like Banshee) which are almost maxed out, but others like Mint have gotten way less stars from me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
To confirm my own post above, you can indeed save mid-mission, turn off and load from where you left off.

You can even load again in the same game, to redo some important decisions.

Santiako

dallow_bg said:
To confirm my own post above, you can indeed save mid-mission, turn off and load from where you left off.

You can even load again in the same game, to redo some important decisions.

Yeah, also, if you lose, the game will ask you if you want to load from the last save or restart the mission.

Glix

Banshee is more important then the entire rest of the squad combined

Stab -> reactivate -> rapid strike stab -> stab = 3 dead dudes and meter half refilled already.

I withdraw my criticism at the boring mission objectives. Been playing much more and I must say this game is really great. Luckily the missions got more varied and shorter. It picks up more when you get more abilities to pick. I am sure most people use the stealth person a lot due to its fun mechanics (free kills and being able to avoid being spotted). I do like the engineer class a lot as it is fun to have a human shield while setting up the turret.

The 3d is growing on me too, as I am starting to appreciate it more than the "flat" look.

AColdDay

Based on all the hype around this, I have bought it. Amazon is supposed to be delivering it today. I was a huge fan of srpgs back in the day and I hope that this game scratches that itch.

storafötter said:
I withdraw my criticism at the boring mission objectives. Been playing much more and I must say this game is really great. Luckily the missions got more varied and shorter. It picks up more when you get more abilities to pick. I am sure most people use the stealth person a lot due to its fun mechanics (free kills and being able to avoid being spotted). I do like the engineer class a lot as it is fun to have a human shield while setting up the turret.

The 3d is growing on me too, as I am starting to appreciate it more than the "flat" look.

Ok, I'll keep going with it. Was about to drop it until I read this. I felt like I was gipped into early adopter hype with a game like but nowhere near as good as Fire Emblem or MGS Acid but I'll keep at it. Currently in the SAMS destroying mission and died because I blew up my own character. I hate you can't back out of an action once chosen or move then shoot (or vise/versa).

I kind of want this game but the freeze ups scare me.. I have put probably 12 hours on my 3ds already with pilot wings and a ton of DS games and its never had a single problem.

Glix

AstroLad said:
yeah i had a regular old freeze now. blurgh

I haven't had one since I started turning off wireless while playing this game.

Also - Last mission of chapter 2 was AMAZING

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Glix said:

yeah this wasn't a black screen it was a straight freeze. wasn't on wireless at the time

Really like how there are still short missions even quite far into the game. The 1hr long missions are absolutely awesome, but it's nice to relax with a couple of 10-15min ones between doing those.

Banshee needs her own Starcraft Ghost game. Banshee and sniper+medic is my perfect two front team.

Barbarian

It's hard to believe that this old-school, western turn-based tactical game in the vein of Jagged Alliance 2 and X-COM is a launch game for the 3DS! I am loving it so far.

Hopefully, given the small and crappy launch library in general, this game (and genre) will have a chance to gain some attention.

newsguy

I had 3 straight freezes in the early level where you need to get past the snipers to get to the commander. I haven't had it happen since, but I would be pissed if it froze at the end of a long stage.

Glix

Barbarian said:
It's hard to believe that this old-school, western turn-based tactical game in the vein of Jagged Alliance 2 and X-COM is a launch game for the 3DS! I am loving it so far.

Hopefully, given the small and crappy launch library in general, this game (and genre) will have a chance to gain some attention.

The problem is that everything is so growth oriented. Ubi will see the generally positive reviews and sales, and decide that they will green light a sequel, but they have to expand the audience 2X. In order to appeal to this audience they will destroy what made the game great to begin with making sure nobody likes the game. Then they will see the sales and deem turn based strategy to not be viable.

I wish more companies would look at Atlus and NIS and understand that not every game has to sell 10000000000000000 copies.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
weird question, has anyone saved then got a freeze? after the reboot is your save ok?

(3 freezes so far, didnt realize there was ingame save beforehand)

Brashnir

I had no idea this was a turn-based strategy game. I assumed it was a typical Ghost Recon shooter, and completely disregarded it (and the 3DS launch as a result) when I saw the system's launch lineup.

Boy, am I glad I read another thread on the 3DS and saw what this game was all about. I had received a BB gift card as a reward from work, so I went and picked up a 3DS and this game when I got off work yesterday.

The graphics suck, the story is atrocious, the characters are lame, and oh my god do I love this game.

taku

xir said:
weird question, has anyone saved then got a freeze? after the reboot is your save ok?

(3 freezes so far, didnt realize there was ingame save beforehand)
There's an in-game save?!

AniHawk

Glix said:

just beat chapter 2. considering this game is fire emblem to the extreme (anyone dies they're dead forever AND GAME OVER), the last segment was really intense. if i didn't have the sentry up, at the middle cave entrance, shit would've ended real soon.

Jintor

Brashnir said:
The graphics suck, the story is atrocious, the characters are lame, and oh my god do I love this game.

I'll challenge you on graphics. The 3D look works really well with this. Though the little sprites are almost indistinguishable from one another.

I really want to see something like a Fire Emblem story, characters and writing with these kinds of mechanics

Brashnir

Jintor said:
I'll challenge you on graphics. The 3D look works really well with this. Though the little sprites are almost indistinguishable from one another.

I really want to see something like a Fire Emblem story, characters and writing with these kinds of mechanics

The 3D does work reasonably well, but that doesn't make the game any less ugly or the framerate any less awful when they do those dramatic flyover shots. Neither of those problems make the game any less fun either.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
This game is fan fucking tastic. If it had even an ounce of charm I’d be buying more copies and handing them out to random people on the street. Here’s to hoping the sequel looks better and has an entertaining story. And that Ubi doesn’t fuck it up entirely.
As others have noticed Banshee is so over powered its ridiculous. I’d have to give the dunce award to the leader, whatever the fuck his name is. I can’t seem to find much use for him, aside from the occasional rocket launch.

For those experiencing crashes: make sure you update your system! That's supposed to fix things.

That aside, this rivals Pilotwings as my favourite launch title. This is slower and more in-depth, so perfect for killing long periods of time.

taku

trudderham said:
For those experiencing crashes: make sure you update your system! That's supposed to fix things.

That aside, this rivals Pilotwings as my favourite launch title. This is slower and more in-depth, so perfect for killing long periods of time.
What are you basing this on? My 3DS crashed after I had updated my system.

Just started playing the game, on the second mission, got the "An error has occurred. Hold down the power button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again" screen.

What the fuck Ubisoft.

Edit: second try worked. Rage abated, for now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Neuromancer said:
Just started playing the game, on the second mission, got the "An error has occurred. Hold down the power button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again" screen.

What the fuck Ubisoft.

Edit: second try worked. Rage abated, for now.
Yeah be SURE to turn off wireless when you are playing this game.

Well I'm surprised it's actually really fun. Not some super strategy game or anything so far, but more than serviceable. I was worried about having one character for each class and 1 death ends missions, so fortunately so far I've gotten a new skirmish mission with multiple characters in each class for every campaign mission. I'm having more fun playing the skirmish missions than I am the campaign, but they're both good.

I don't mind the cheesy story, "Russian nationalist wants to take over the world, Americans stop him" is pretty much rote for games these days. The interface bothers me, why with so many buttons can't "end turn" be a different button than "button used for everything". I had one crash so far as well (after updating), so hopefully that was one off.

Anyhow, not better than Pilotwings but I think second of the 5 games I got (Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, and Steel Diver being the others).

EDIT: Also, it would have been cool to have a typical buy your team style skirmish mode. Maybe in the sequel which I hope Gollop gets more resources and leeway to make.

Shoogoo

AniHawk said:
just beat chapter 2. considering this game is fire emblem to the extreme (anyone dies they're dead forever AND GAME OVER), the last segment was really intense. if i didn't have the sentry up, at the middle cave entrance, shit would've ended real soon.

When a character dies it's like in Fire Emblem?

But you only get like 6 characters right? How is it possible.

Or do you mean that when a character dies it ends the mission? Yeah that would make more sense.

Shoogoo said:
When a character dies it's like in Fire Emblem?

But you only get like 6 characters right? How is it possible.

Or do you mean that when a character dies it ends the mission? Yeah that would make more sense.
When one character in campaign mode dies, it ends the mission.

Shoogoo said:
Thanks. I'll get this game later today.
If you have any interest in turn/tile based strategy games I don't think you'll be disappointed. Of the 5 games I got (PWR, SD, SF4, RR, and this) I'd say its definitely the one that most exceeded expectations.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Gouty said:
Same. I'm updated and had wifi off when I locked up.

The wifi off has to do with the "Black Screen of Death" that seems to be a general 3DS problem. The fade to black/lock-ups, are just the game being glitchy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Luigiv said:
Oh good, we have a solution. That pissed me off, loosing my progress.
Yep, I got a freeze and like four BSODs before and now I haven't had a single issue in hours of play. Just beat Chapter 2, lots of fun. I kind of like living on the edge and not saving. :p

Top Bottom