• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's XDefiant (Yes, that's what it's called) - Worldwide Premiere

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The youtube comments are comedy gold btw, worth a read.
EYenvz-XsAEa0Y4.jpg

Hypno285

Banned
Boy I wonder how much they're gonna charge for it. It honestly looks like a $20-$30 game. Maybe even F2P.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take a sneak peek at Emporium and Air & Space, two arena maps that are included in the upcoming #XDefiant closed test! Sign up for a chance to play here: https://ubi.li/xzSF8

Tom Clancy’s XDefiant is a free-to-play, fast-paced arena shooter that combines intense gunplay with personalized loadouts and specialized factions, as teams of gunfighters – called Defiants – battle for domination.

Shmunter

I hope this is as low as gaming can sink, and things can only go up from here.

At the risk of being a hypocrite, I will try it because I like me a bit of COD. But Tom Clancy, sheesh.

Aion002

Gold Member
Am I crazy or is that first map a straight up asset flip from the first Division?
It's set on various "iconic" Tom Clancy's games.

So yeah... You are right.

Asset flip the game, they were so cheap that they didn't want to create new stuff for this soulless game.

Zannegan

I still think the gameplay looks solid (insofar as you can tell that sort if thing from watching footage), but the aesthetic in that first trailer is trying so pathetically hard to be cool it's just offputting. It seriously looks like it was designed by Suicide Squad's "Joker."

A slightly different treatment of the properties involved and this same project would have been well received by all. Instead, we get Tony Hawk's Pro Shooter Xresist: Reborn Chronicles. You'd think they would have learned their lesson about generic edginess after Watch Dogs 3.

Oh well, maybe the gameplay will pull it through, as it did with Rainbow 6. Good luck to them.

Unk Adams

Banned
Everything about this sucks, from the color pallet to the character design to the gameplay to the actual idea itself. Even the "A Ubisoft Original" logo looks completely stupid and out of place.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As Ubisoft prepares for the upcoming Closed Test for XDefiant (beginning August 5 at 11 am PT for PC players in US and Canada), players can expect to see 10 unique maps, and five unique game modes to choose from. Players will also get to choose a "Defiant" from any of the four factions that were introduced at announce. Here is some exclusive footage on what players can expect to see during the Closed Test.

Zannegan

I thought the gameplay looked solid in the reveal, but it's starting to look a little hectic here, and not necessarily in a good way. Like an ADD CoD.

The environments look pretty "last gen," but it's F2P, so I'm not going to judge too harshly.

The aesthetic though looks ripped from a Walmart skate deck. Corporate cool at its finest. It's awful. It's also the least important part of the game, thank goodness. Still, annoying.

packy34

Big oof on those graphics. Game looks 6 years old before it's even out.
I feel like I live in a different reality than some people... Aside from some of the aesthetic choices and weak fire effects, nothing about these graphics looks outright bad, and certainly not "6 years old"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I feel like I live in a different reality than some people... Aside from some of the aesthetic choices and weak fire effects, nothing about these graphics looks outright bad, and certainly not "6 years old"

Oh it's defiantly looking like the first Division or Destiny levels of graphic quality.

Biff

Ah I thought this was an open beta. Was willing to give the game an hour tonight but apparently had to pre-register. Oh well, just delaying the disappointment I suppose!

Corgi1985

Banned
Is anyone looking forward to this? I don't know who the audience for this game is supposed to be. Everyone hates it (and correctly so).

What is it with ubisoft and making sure all their games have shit mechanics that give your players wallhacks half the fucking time?

Honestly finding out enemy locations easily is truly the worst mechanics in all of shooters. The radar in halo, the uav in cod all the crap in every ubisoft game. It's NEVER a rewarding experience giving free information to your players. It just adds a lower skill ceiling and limits the fun plays you can make.

At least infinite has gone the other way and actually fixed their radar in casual playlists now.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At the end of the day, you could argue just as much for the necessity of a new free-to-play competitive shooter as you could against it. It's always nice to have more choices and competition that can push other titles to try new things and stand out.

But does Tom Clancy's XDefiant actually possess its own unique identity to help it stand out in the crowd? Is it going to be another try-and-forget shooter that pushes microtransactions and battle passes, floundering in its initial release and prompting commitments to improve before either steadily finding its own niche, becoming a massive success or just slowly fading away?

Strong marketing and a mosh-pit aesthetic that preaches defiance – masking the fact that the primary cast doesn't have any real distinct characters or identities at this point – can only get you so far and even if XDefiant has its own unique take on the genre, it may be a case of "too little, too late."

Top Bottom