• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Cruise's next movie sounds like a huge ego trip for him lol

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads

K' Dash

As far as we know, the film centers “on the most powerful man in the world, who embarks on a frantic mission to prove he is humanity’s savior before the disaster he’s unleashed destroys everything”.
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

As far as we know, the film centers “on the most powerful man in the world, who embarks on a frantic mission to prove he is humanity’s savior before the disaster he’s unleashed destroys everything”.

To be fair the Cruise Missile didn't write the screenplay, and also according to that quote, he's also the cause of said disaster.

Anyway I wish he made a sequel to War of the Worlds instead, but this time more action and less emo and whiny kids.

jason10mm

Gold Member

This is the plot of every film with Iron man in it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Inarritu + that concept sounds amazing.

I could do with someone other than Cruise TBH, but he is capable of great acting so we'll see. But these 60+ year old actors trying to forever hold on to being 35 eventually start looking distracting, and Cruise has reached that point for me. Just be an old man, man.

FunkMiller

Inarritu + that concept sounds amazing.

I could do with someone other than Cruise TBH, but he is capable of great acting so we'll see. But these 60+ year old actors trying to forever hold on to being 35 eventually start looking distracting, and Cruise has reached that point for me. Just be an old man, man.

Sadly, I don’t think Cruise’s position as the head of a cult will let that happen. He’s the poster boy for Scientology, and they’ll keep him looking as ‘young’ as possible for as long as possible.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
To be fair the Cruise Missile didn't write the screenplay, and also according to that quote, he's also the cause of said disaster.

Anyway I wish he made a sequel to War of the Worlds instead, but this time more action and less emo and whiny kids.
The sequel could have the aliens coming back but vaccinated against earths organisms, but humans fighting back with reverse engineered tripods independence day resurgance style

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Isn't this the premise for the latests Mission Impossible?

Exactly, it's practically the premise for every film he's made for the last decade!

Generally though, I think he's got a great hit rate when you consider how many films he's been in. I'll probably watch it if the impressions are positive.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The sequel could have the aliens coming back but vaccinated against earths organisms, but humans fighting back with reverse engineered tripods independence day resurgance .
IIRC one of the more inexplicable things about Spielbergs WotW is that the aliens were buried in earth for hundreds, if not thousands of years, right. Don't think they are gonna be coming back.

YuLY

I hope he does a few more action movies before it is too late, since age is finally starting to catch up to him in looks also. I wouldnt say he looks in his 60s if I didnt already know that, but 54 for sure.

The problem is there is nothing coming from behind, nobody to pass the torch unto.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I hope he does a few more action movies before it is too late, since age is finally starting to catch up to him in looks also. I wouldnt say he looks in his 60s if I didnt already know that, but 54 for sure.

The problem is there is nothing coming from behind, nobody to pass the torch unto.

I read an article a while back that pitched Tom Cruise as the last true film star. Googling for the article now, I can't find it because it's evidently an oft-repeated sentiment. There are of course some very famous actors out there who people are interested in. But in recent years, films have been so dominated by franchises and iterations that people are turning out for brands and sequels. Not actors.

Bummer. Another reason to go see stuff you think is worth supporting though. I'd love to see Cruise do something like Magnolia or The Last Samurai or Edge of Tomorrow again. Stand alone films that didn't need sequels, prequels or universes.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
IIRC one of the more inexplicable things about Spielbergs WotW is that the aliens were buried in earth for hundreds, if not thousands of years, right. Don't think they are gonna be coming back.
i took it that they came to earth disguised in those global electrical storms and activated their tripods which were seeded on earth already, which they did as a contingency for when they needed to take over a planet

Last edited:

YuLY

I read an article a while back that pitched Tom Cruise as the last true film star. Googling for the article now, I can't find it because it's evidently an oft-repeated sentiment. There are of course some very famous actors out there who people are interested in. But in recent years, films have been so dominated by franchises and iterations that people are turning out for brands and sequels. Not actors.

Bummer. Another reason to go see stuff you think is worth supporting though. I'd love to see Cruise do something like Magnolia or The Last Samurai or Edge of Tomorrow again. Stand alone films that didn't need sequels, prequels or universes.
Yea for sure he is one of the last ones, maybe even the last truly Action Star, the type that actually brings people in theatres just because he is in the movie. The only one that I can think of right now is Leonardo DiCaprio as a movie star in general, not action star.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yea for sure he is one of the last ones, maybe even the last truly Action Star, the type that actually brings people in theatres just because he is in the movie. The only one that I can think of right now is Leonardo DiCaprio as a movie star in general, not action star.

Good point about Di Caprio, someone who seems to choose films wisely and has the acting chops to sell it.

I think the thing with Cruise now is that so few of his films show what a great actor he is. He's borderline a celebrity stuntman, rather than an actor, and despite mostly only appearing in total blockbusters has shown real range in his skills over the years. To be honest, I think he's wasted in most action films.

I don't like tom cruise but I can at least he made top gun Maverick without any diversity, social agenda nonsense, or catered to the blue haired crowd. So even a dumb movie by him would be better than what's cranked out the majority of the time in Hollywood.

All I'm really looking forward to is Quentin Tarantinos last movie that hopefully does for mainstream Hollywood what pulp fiction did for it.

Trelane

I'll give it a shot. I was very entertained with Top Gun: Maverick and the recent Mission Impossible movies, so I'm looking forward to anything he has coming out at this point.

IntentionalPun

Sadly, I don’t think Cruise’s position as the head of a cult will let that happen. He’s the poster boy for Scientology, and they’ll keep him looking as ‘young’ as possible for as long as possible.
I mean there is a reason why they were able to get him as spokesperson. He bought into their shtick of telling rich people they are super powerful beings.

So I don’t think Tom can handle aging either way lol

Would be really cool to see him play an old gray haired dude tho lol

IntentionalPun

Inarritu is one hell of a filmmaker. Almost as good as his fellow countryman Alfonso Cuaron.
Love the 2 things Cuarón has done that I’ve seen, which is like, half of his films lol

Man got signed to do a TV show for Apple 5 years ago and hasn’t released shit lol

I still need to check out Roma.

They both seem like the type to only work on something that inspires them consider how neither is particularly prolific. Or that’s just from lack of opportunity being Mexican maybe.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Love the 2 things Cuarón has done that I’ve seen, which is like, half of his films lol

Man got signed to do a TV show for Apple 5 years ago and hasn’t released shit lol

I still need to check out Roma.

Cuaron is GOAT for Children of Men and Gravity. Roma wasn't as good but still worth a watch. Have no interest in Harry Potter so haven't seen Azkaban. Innarritu is 🐐 too for Birdman and Revenant. Amazing piece of filmmaking. Riveting cinema. But I think Cuaron still edges out Innarritu, mainly for Children of Men, which is one of my all time favorite movies. Gravity was incredibly cool too in the theater. Only 3D movie worth a damn imo. What an experience.

IntentionalPun

Cuaron is GOAT for Children of Men and Gravity. Roma wasn't as good but still worth a watch. Have no interest in Harry Potter so haven't seen Azkaban. Innarritu is 🐐 too for Birdman and Revenant. Amazing piece of filmmaking. Riveting cinema. But I think Cuaron still edges out Innarritu, mainly for Children of Men, which is one of my all time favorite movies. Gravity was incredibly cool too in the theater. Only 3D movie worth a damn imo. What an experience.
Yeah Children of Men is one of my favorites too. So well made, super intense, but also well paced.

Timeless really; don’t do how it won’t be. It looks great still. Better than modern films.

AmuroChan

Magnolia and Jerry Maguire are probably two of my favorite Cruise films, but I just don't know if these types of films are financially viable anymore in today's landscape. Plus he's a theatrical guy. So I doubt he'd be willing to star in these types of movies that would go direct to streaming these days.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Magnolia and Jerry Maguire are probably two of my favorite Cruise films, but I just don't know if these types of films are financially viable anymore in today's landscape. Plus he's a theatrical guy. So I doubt he'd be willing to star in these types of movies that would go direct to streaming these days.
Oh, I realise what Cruise's place is and how he's been painted into a corner, becoming the Mission Impossible guy (arguably not just by changing tastes but by a few films in a row he was in outside that franchise being not very good). I think I perhaps didn't underline the point that I was trying to make hard enough: If you like something, support it.

Obviously things will fall in and out of vogue, but if the only thing that gets people into cinemas is Marvel cinematic universe movie 43, Mission Impossible 15 (surely by now we must accept that these missions are possible after all), or septuagenarian actor reprises 80s role one more time, then that's all that will be shown at cinemas. Jerry Maguire was, I presume, greenlit as a big movie that would get people into cinemas and that Cruise did because it was expected to be a big hit that fit his stature, you're absolutely right - that kind of thing doesn't seem to be all that likely now, not just for Cruise, but maybe for any a-list actor.

I don't think me buying a ticket is going to change the world or anything, but I'll be going to see M Knight Shyamalan's latest this week. Despite knowing that the film isn't getting rave reviews I think Shyamalan's niche is one that I hope doesn't go away, so I'm happy to support it. At this point, any film that looks like it's going to be a stand alone film and is getting good reviews is something I'll at least consider supporting on principal.

Last edited:

Hudo

I dunno, to me, the premise sounds more like a take on the super hero movie stuff.

Audiophile

I'm kinda looking forward to his latter years, he can really act and perhaps some more restrained, focused, character-driven projects will better serve that.

AmuroChan

Oh, I realise what Cruise's place is and how he's been painted into a corner, becoming the Mission Impossible guy (arguably not just by changing tastes but by a few films in a row he was in outside that franchise being not very good). I think I perhaps didn't underline the point that I was trying to make hard enough: If you like something, support it.

Obviously things will fall in and out of vogue, but if the only thing that gets people into cinemas is Marvel cinematic universe movie 43, Mission Impossible 15 (surely by now we must accept that these missions are possible after all), or septuagenarian actor reprises 80s role one more time, then that's all that will be shown at cinemas. Jerry Maguire was, I presume, greenlit as a big movie that would get people into cinemas and that Cruise did because it was expected to be a big hit that fit his stature, you're absolutely right - that kind of thing doesn't seem to be all that likely now, not just for Cruise, but maybe for any a-list actor.

I don't think me buying a ticket is going to change the world or anything, but I'll be going to see M Knight Shyamalan's latest this week. Despite knowing that the film isn't getting rave reviews I think Shyamalan's niche is one that I hope doesn't go away, so I'm happy to support it. At this point, any film that looks like it's going to be a stand alone film and is getting good reviews is something I'll at least consider supporting on principal.

Oh I get it and I'm with you. I still love the theatrical experience and will continue to support that. If Cruise makes any another Magnolia type movie, I'm there day 1 regardless of whether it makes any money at the boxoffice.

StueyDuck

The man's old and still jumping off buildings and trying to avoid "modern audiences" for good old fashioned action.

I'd say he deserves a vanity project or two.

90% of "modern audience" movie and TV are vanity projects anyway

Trilobit

So he unleashes something horrible? That doesn't sound like a good guy?

Either way it has John Goodman, Riz Ahmed and Jesse Plemons who are some of my top favourite actors so I'm looking forward to it, as long as it isn't some weird genre. Tom Cruise is the last of the classic movie stars and he's always wildly entertaining in his roles.

Top Bottom