• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I cannot foresee any scenario where GTAV releases on PC and doesn't release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 around the same time. Though knowing Rockstar they may drag it out for awhile to prevent cannibalising on last generation sales.

I hope you are right. A next-gen port up of GTAV would literally make my gaming year. I just have this weird feeling they won't do it.

PS4, Play Go download and play system is pretty damn fast with this game. It immediately starts to install the game on your HDD once you insert the disc. In about 5 minutes (guesstimate) the whole 17Gb's is on your HDD.

More like in 5 minutes enough of that 17GB is on your HDD to allow you to start playing, and it continues to install the rest of the 17GB in the background as you play.

ash_ag

lol what is that. The new model can look pretty great, but most of the time it looks bad, cartoonish even. It's really weird, must be something to do with her facial animations, maybe they rushed things up there.

Funnily enough, what you call bad is what I like about the change. I felt the initial version of Tomb Raider was lacking in visual identity. Though pleasant to look at, it was often charmless and too "grey". While Definitive Edition doesn't completely address this issue, I think it does walk towards the right direction.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Has anyone with the PS4 edition compared it to the PS3 version? I started my digital PS3 version last night and was hooked. The sound, the story, the gameplay were all excellent, but in the back of my mind, I was wondering if I should stop and just go get the PS4 version. I hate to essentially eat the $30 I paid for the digital PS3 version since I never got a chance to play it, but the allure of 60FPS and all the other perks is just so strong.

icespide

Banned
Has anyone with the PS4 edition compared it to the PS3 version? I started my digital PS3 version last night and was hooked. The sound, the story, the gameplay were all excellent, but in the back of my mind, I was wondering if I should stop and just go get the PS4 version. I hate to essentially eat the $30 I paid for the digital PS3 version since I never got a chance to play it, but the allure of 60FPS and all the other perks is just so strong.

if you can stomach the price it's totally worth it

ash_ag

Here is IGN's comparison video. Some spoilers towards the end.

xion4360

hopefully todays patch fixed the crashbug. Happened to me just once so far but other people have mentioned it so it must have been more common.

I really hope they fix the TressFX bug with the next patch.

if you can stomach the price it's totally worth it

While not really worth the price, all of the DLC plus the game at 29.99 would equal the price of the definitive edition.

fernoca

One hour into the game and so far the Pause menu has popped up 8 times while me and my boyfriend were just talking (PS4 version).

I think the actual voice command is "Pause" but the pause menu will pop up by just saying the letter "M" and random words. Anyone else has this? It's super annoying. Will turn off voice commands because of this :/

Btw the game looks stunning. I think it's prettier than when I played it on pc on Ultra.

Edit: changed wording a bit
Yep. Was about to mention it.
I ignored there were voice commands so, I thought it was a glitch and deleted the install and save. Started again...Happened again so, went online and found out about the voice commands and a link from Kotaku mentioning said problems, turned it off...and everything's perfect now.

So asking one more time...

No one has gotten this game at another retailer besides GameStop?

I really need to buy this at best buy...

Same here, with Unlocked and that %10 off coupon, and I have $16 in credit, I could get this game pretty cheap at Best Buy. I am going to roll through there today to see if they have it.

YtbUz8t.jpg

Definitive boobs.

Logash

I am tempted to take out my fully paid off preorder of Infamous and just get Tomb Raider now. I never played Tomb raider on the PS3 and was going to wait till this thing goes into the bargain bin. Should I just do it?

Same here, with Unlocked and that %10 off coupon, and I have $16 in credit, I could get this game pretty cheap at Best Buy. I am going to roll through there today to see if they have it.
Good luck. Just checked their website and their release date is Feb 4th.

One week after the official release date. WTF??

so, anyone has gotten this at bestbuy?

I haven't bought it yet since I'm out of town for the weekend, but I just check the stores around my house through the BB app and they all have it available for in store pick up today. When you go to the product page it still says available for preorder, but when you click on the check stores button it should show as available.

TyrantII

I am tempted to take out my fully paid off preorder of Infamous and just get Tomb Raider now. I never played Tomb raider on the PS3 and was going to wait till this thing goes into the bargain bin. Should I just do it?

Its a more visceral uncharted with better visuals and a linear-open world design. Also has some of the best bow mechanics I've played.

If you haven't played it, its worth the 60. Personally, It ranked higher than BioShock Infinite on my list this past year.

Kuro

Its a more visceral uncharted with better visuals and a linear-open world design. Also has some of the best bow mechanics I've played.

If you haven't played it, its worth the 60. Personally, It ranked higher than BioShock Infinite on my list this past year.

Not on PS3 it didn't

Logash

Yeah I heard great things. I love uncharted and I heard the progression is like Batman which I also love. Also, it's not like I won't get Infamous, I'll just preorder it on amazon and pay cash when it comes out. Yeah... I'm getting it. $60 is just sitting there anyway.

So asking one more time...

No one has gotten this game at another retailer besides GameStop?

I really need to buy this at best buy...

Same. I want my unlocked discount! I called my local store and they have them but won't break that February 4th date that bestbuy.com has. So I emailed corporate to tell them to fix it and I haven't heard back. If anything I'll go in Tuesday and see what's up. Sucks tho. I would have really liked to play it this weekend. Part of me what's to buy it at game stop then return the best buy copy to games top when it comes out. But that's too much work. :(

I haven't bought it yet since I'm out of town for the weekend, but I just check the stores around my house through the BB app and they all have it available for in store pick up today. When you go to the product page it still says available for preorder, but when you click on the check stores button it should show as available.

I saw that, got excited and called my store and they said they can't sell it. So I just put the pre order in for in store pickup and am hoping I get an email soon telling me it's ready.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So some continued impressions. Game is freaking beautiful. So worth the price of admission for me despite owning it on Steam with a far more powerful rig than the PS4.

Fluid 60fps, improved visuals, plus the wonder that is the DS4.

Some screens I took with share button.

Those do not do the game justice at all.

To get the visuals out of the way, the game is actually really fun. Just got to shanty town and lovng every second of the gameplay. This game should have made a bigger splash upon release, it's fantastic. All I remember leased up to launch were the "Controversies" . Although I do know it ended up on a journalists goty list here and there.

Really impressed, hopefully I still have a ways to go.

Oh god, they still kept the horrid subtitles. They altered pretty much everything else, couldn't they've sorted that out. The fact that it's still closed captions only is even worse. Everytime you open a crate you get the "gasp".... "GASP".

lol, that's just what I was thinking... Worst looking subtitles ever. (at least in a game I've played)

Moofers

I played about 1/3 of this on PS3 last year and really enjoyed it, but I only rented it and had other games to finish. I'm so glad I can restart on PS4 with these awesome graphics now. The stuff in this thread has me fidgeting while I wait for Amazon to ship my copy!

Also, that "definitive boobs" post really pointed out how nice those things look. FarooqDamn.gif and all that...

eliochip

I didn't know the disc was inside the art book. Don't know how I feel about that. I guess it's cool.

As for the game, loved it on gaming laptop and love it even more on my PS4

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So much maney wasted... And human resources. If you pay for rehashes why would publishers go through the trouble of financing new games, let alone new IPs.
Uh, I don't believe that the resources used to do this game and the resources to make a new game aren't mutually exclusive.

I see this all the time and I don't get it. The studios doing these ports generally-- generally-- aren't going to be leading development on new games anyway.

It's not a waste of money obviously if it has a positive capital return to the companies doing the ports. I mean duh.

Captain N

Uh, I don't believe that the resources used to do this game and the resources to make a new game aren't mutually exclusive.

I see this all the time and I don't get it. The studios doing these ports generally-- generally-- aren't going to be leading development on new games anyway.

It's not a waste of money obviously if it has a positive capital return to the companies doing the ports. I mean duh.

Right? I see it as Square Enix being able to make money off of Tomb Raider on next generation systems. All while the main team is working on Tomb Raider 2.

IconGrist

More like in 5 minutes enough of that 17GB is on your HDD to allow you to start playing, and it continues to install the rest of the 17GB in the background as you play.

Pretty sure he meant 5 minutes total. I inserted the disc and roughly 40-45 seconds later I was able to start the game.

I saw that, got excited and called my store and they said they can't sell it. So I just put the pre order in for in store pickup and am hoping I get an email soon telling me it's ready.

Let me know what happens. I'd like to pick it up using the Unlocked discount tomorrow, but I don't want to order for store pickup if I can't get it until 2/4

Ilive1up

i never got this on the last-gen consoles but i'm going to pick up the ps4 version today. is there any chance that gamestop will not sell it?

i never got this on the last-gen consoles but i'm going to pick up the ps4 version today. is there any chance that gamestop will not sell it?

They will. If they argue, press them. When I got mine this morning, when I called they said that the computer said the 28th, but then I told him that it's okay to sell them. So when I got there and he rang me up it went through without any kind of warnings or whatever.

Also the game can be ordered from the website.

This might be a noob question but here it goes. I borrowed tomb raider from a friend for the weekend when it first came out on the PS3, I played it for a few hours and it felt like an open world survival game. Now I am watching gameplay and it looks like uncharted (which I absolutely love), so is it an openworld game or is it more like uncharted? Did I not play it long enough to get into the actual game?

DieH@rd

Banned
This might be a noob question but here it goes. I borrowed tomb raider from a friend for the weekend when it first came out on the PS3, I played it for a few hours and it felt like an open world survival game. Now I am watching gameplay and it looks like uncharted (which I absolutely love), so is it an openworld game or is it more like uncharted? Did I not play it long enough to get into the actual game?

It has hubs that you need to revisit so that you can use new gear to open new traversal paths. Its more open than Uncharted, but with linear story that drives you forward. You can always return to previously visited areas to hunt for [numerous] treasures.

It has Arkham Aslylum structure, only when you return to hubs you often use new paths and those hubs can change [changes in environment].

K1ng P3n

It's definitely more like Uncharted which isn't a bad thing.

Top Bottom