• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

So some continued impressions. Game is freaking beautiful. So worth the price of admission for me despite owning it on Steam with a far more powerful rig than the PS4.

Fluid 60fps, improved visuals, plus the wonder that is the DS4.

Some screens I took with share button.

Those do not do the game justice at all.

To get the visuals out of the way, the game is actually really fun. Just got to shanty town and lovng every second of the gameplay. This game should have made a bigger splash upon release, it's fantastic. All I remember leased up to launch were the "Controversies" . Although I do know it ended up on a journalists goty list here and there.

Really impressed, hopefully I still have a ways to go.

Wow does she put a jacket on in this? That would make this game definitive for sure. Also is that a messed up shadow in that second pic.

ironcreed

Banned
Love this screen.

73454E81-7293-4396-B40D-36C5D0A277FF_zpsdm4hvr4v.jpg

I haven't bought it yet since I'm out of town for the weekend, but I just check the stores around my house through the BB app and they all have it available for in store pick up today. When you go to the product page it still says available for preorder, but when you click on the check stores button it should show as available.

Mine all say PreOrder and the pickup date is February 4th or whatever. Doesn't appear to be available today in the Indianapolis area. I am going to stop by today to see if they have it. Hopefully they do.

Brandon ‏@brandonh83 27m
Okay seriously, the definitive version of Tomb Raider looks freaking glorious on PS4 running at 60fps. Stunning.

Then I got a response:

I'm sure with all the running around and fires and explosion your eyes are able to focus in on the extra 15FPS?

And from the same guy:

It's not that big a deal buddy.&it's not running 60FPS constant. It's averaging 45 on PS4.it has dipping rates

Whew, console warriors.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow does she put a jacket on in this? That would make this game definitive for sure. Also is that a messed up shadow in that second pic.

All costumes are present both in Definitive and Acceptable Version. You can change them at any fireplace [hub checkpoint]. First fireplace is found around 20-30mins into the game.

Logash

Guy at Gamestop was hesitant to take out my preorder for Infamous because I got a more credit from a trade in deal. I know better though, the only thing those people care about is preorders and they really try to get you to keep one. I don't blame them, I blame the company for putting pressure on them. Still, Imma do what I want with my money and I just got Tomb Raider with it :)

Ha not me.

Just saying people get mad for no reason. ;)

Ohh gotcha, sorry for misinterpreting your post. It's just, it wouldn't surprise me because I'm sure most of my Twitter posts are seen by people around here. It was originally retweeted by Jeremy Conrad so like, everyone sees it.

Whatever not a big deal, it's just crazy to me the difference between how people perceive frame rate. I used to think it wasn't a big deal until Amir0x gave me a thorough NeoGAF beat down one day, and that's when I started to really pay attention to it.

TyrantII

Guy at Gamestop was hesitant to take out my preorder for Infamous because I got a more credit from a trade in deal. I know better though, the only thing those people care about is preorders and they really try to get you to keep one. I don't blame them, I blame the company for putting pressure on them. Still, Imma do what I want with my money and I just got Tomb Raider with it :)

I've moved on to Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, Craigslist, and VGFive.

I can't justify giving GS any business with the way the run the biz and how most of their employees act (and mangers).

FrankT

Game is incredible looking on Xbox One. Game was up and running in 2 minutes or less. Probably less, but couldn't say 100%. I know I was shocked compared to most games I've bought thus far. If this is the start the gen I'm going to be very pleased for the remainder. Outside of some shooters perhaps 1080p should be the bar from here out. 1080p 30fps plus I'll take it.

ironcreed

Banned
Urge to get this to quench Uncharted thirst rising.

I actually love this game more than Uncharted. And as I have said before, it is beautiful even on PS3 and actually had me dropping my jaw at times. That is why this even more gorgeous version is going to be a must buy for me once I pick up one of the new systems.

UnrealEck

They optimized the code so that preformance impact is much smaller.
http://cdn.overclock.net/3/37/378eb91b_Tress_FX_2.png

And yes they are calling it 2.0 because how they can implement it also on foliage and other objects.

We know it runs better. The question is what they've done to make it perform better. What does "optimised code" mean?
I wonder how TressFX compares to Nvidia's PhysX based hair too. I don't think I've seen that used in a game yet though.

I've moved on to Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, Craigslist, and VGFive.

I can't justify giving GS any business with the way the run the biz and how most of their employees act (and mangers).

Is there a reason why they can sell you an opened copy as new, but if you try to return it they won't give you the full refund because it's been opened? I like the guys at my Gamestop, I'm really good friends with all of them so I don't really care or make a fuss, I just find it bizarre that they can do that. Like the other day I bought the Lords of Shadow collection on PS3 and they literally got the display case off the wall and stuck the disc inside of it that was inside of a disc sleeve.

Not to derail the thread, I just wonder if anyone else has had that happen before.

Why does it look in some shots like she got stung in the face by bees?

Beads?

Can someone please explain if the Interact feature that this game makes use of actually does anything? I was watching the streams and the interactions viewers were making seemed to do jack shit. That's the 'revive/die' options you can select.

Logash

Is there a reason why they can sell you an opened copy as new, but if you try to return it they won't give you the full refund because it's been opened? I like the guys at my Gamestop, I'm really good friends with all of them so I don't really care or make a fuss, I just find it bizarre that they can do that. Like the other day I bought the Lords of Shadow collection on PS3 and they literally got the display case off the wall and stuck the disc inside of it that was inside of a disc sleeve.

Not to derail the thread, I just wonder if anyone else has had that happen before.

They did the same thing to me when I bought Fire Emblem. The funny thing is that when I put the game in my 3DS it already had a file in it... I considered going back but I figured $5 wasn't worth it.

UnrealEck

those screenshots paulink posted are just really terrible.

I'm not sure which ones, I'll look back in a minute but I've noticed some of them look good and some look really poor. The 1920x1080 ones like the one where she's holding the torch and facing the camera and the one where she's behind the truck and looking at a JJ Abrams style lens flare.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is what kills me about GAF. Now I'm wanting to pick this up as it was one of my favorite games of the entire generation.

Wish I could just rent it at Redbox. I'm afraid I'd be kicking myself if I bought it again.

Has anyone been able to pick it up in Surrey or Vancouver BC? I want to go get it today if possible

You can always call around and see how is selling (if any).

I had two stores tell me it didn't come out until Tuesday. I decided it wasn't worth the effort finished my errands and headed home. Called the store near my house and they had it and actually held the artbook version for me.

I'm in CA,

CAlifornia!

Logash

holy SHIT LOL

Okay that's a new one on me.

Eh, I moved on to Amazon. The only reason I had trade in credit from there is because I couldn't figure out a reason I should keep Knack and Injustice. Plus I got $61 in trade in credit from trading those two games alone. Basically what I paid for them since I got the buy 2 get one free deal. Now that my last bit of credit is gone from there I'm done.

Some of those are gameplay shots.

Most, if not all of them are in-game.

EDIT: just curious and not to bring this back up but the same guy told me you can't tell the difference between 45fps and 60. Is that true, and is the Xbox One version mostly 45? I mean obviously the guy has an agenda and might even be being paid, but I'm genuinely curious.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Any screens of know, actual gameplay?

Several of those are gameplay shots. That said, it's harder to zoom in on the nice details with in game controls/camera positioning, and also, easier for me to press the share button when watching a cutscene, rather than when I am playing, and you know, engaged in the actual gameplay. This is my first time playing through the game, or any TR game for that matter, so I will put my enjoyment in front of your random needs.

The game looks every bit as good in gameplay as it does cutscenes.

Dawg

Most, if not all of them are in-game.

EDIT: just curious and not to bring this back up but the same guy told me you can't tell the difference between 45fps and 60. Is that true, and is the Xbox One version mostly 45? I mean obviously the guy has an agenda and might even be being paid, but I'm genuinely curious.

ohh you got the special edition. They made one copy that's almost always 60FPS. Congrats! Your not smart.

;)

ohh you got the special edition. They made one copy that's almost always 60FPS. Congrats! Your not smart.

;)

Heh, I've only played a little bit of the game but it's been mostly 60 for me. When I got out into the woods I think it went down a little but not by much and that's where I've stopped.

More like in 5 minutes enough of that 17GB is on your HDD to allow you to start playing, and it continues to install the rest of the 17GB in the background as you play.

I was able to play the game as soon as it loaded. I'm not saying I had to wait 5 minutes to play. I went to the home screen and application management and saw it was at 17Gb's after about 5 or so minutes of gameplay.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
everyone seems super happy about the framerate on the ps4, good news, now i just want to hear someone impressions on framerate when they get to shantytown, that part was a framerate killer on PC, lets see how it fairs on ps4

Top Bottom