• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Shin-Ra

I was able to play the game as soon as it loaded. I'm not saying I had to wait 5 minutes to play. I went to the home screen and application management and saw it was at 17Gb's after about 5 or so minutes of gameplay.
Pretty sure the full install size is reserved as soon as it starts copying. To judge the actual full install time you need to measure from inserting the BD to the drive spinning down to silent.

GavinUK86

They improved the tress-fx yet her hair still defies gravity when shes hanging upside down. I honestly think they're wasting resources with the hair stuff. They could be improving other areas. Is anyone really that bothered about individually rendered strands?

Lima

I was able to play the game as soon as it loaded. I'm not saying I had to wait 5 minutes to play. I went to the home screen and application management and saw it was at 17Gb's after about 5 or so minutes of gameplay.

It's the full size after a couple of seconds. The whole game size is reserved right after it starts installing. This doesn't mean it is done after 5 minutes, it is impossible with that 6x drive.

Radec

Next gen version has moving trees/PC version has static trees.

Superior version confirmed.

PC:

ku-xlarge.gif

Xbox One/PS4:

ku-xlarge.gif

Superior version indeed.

Pretty sure the full install size is reserved as soon as it starts copying. To judge the actual full install time you need to measure from inserting the BD to the drive spinning down to silent.

Maybe true, but it was silent pretty damn fast this is why I looked at the applications menu.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They improved the tress-fx yet her hair still defies gravity when shes hanging upside down. i honestly think they're wasting resources with the hair stuff. they could be improving other areas. is anyone really that bothered about individually rendered strands?

It is a huge step in rendering, much like ragdoll was IMO.

Pretty soon it will be standard and not considered intensive at all.

And it is DAMNED impressive while playing.

tbm24

Heh, I've only played a little bit of the game but it's been mostly 60 for me. When I got out into the woods I think it went down a little but not by much and that's where I've stopped.
I've played a good number of hours now and is it bad that I just simply don't notice the framerate fluctuations? I mean, I only ever notice it on my pc when BF4 beta was slapping my rig with sub30 frames, other than that I don't think I can tell in general.

Haven't gotten to shanty town yet tho so maybe I'll notice it there when Predator Lara is in full effect?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Very nice! So the GI reviewer wasn't kidding when he said it's currently the best looking console game ever. It's still debatable, but it's definitely up there!

It is up there for sure.

Ryse and Killzone both are more impressive, but Tomb Raider holds its own with the big boys, and blows other "Next Gen" games like CoD: Ghosts out of the water.

Mononoke

Banned
Can I pick this up today without a pre order? Is it out universally at GameStop, or is it only certain stores releasing it early.

tbm24

Can I pick this up today without a pre order? Is it out universally at GameStop, or is it only certain stores releasing it early.
Call your closest gamestop. Yesterday I got out of work and called the closest one to my job and they said come on over. Picked it up no problem.

Montresor

Game is incredible looking on Xbox One. Game was up and running in 2 minutes or less. Probably less, but couldn't say 100%. I know I was shocked compared to most games I've bought thus far. If this is the start the gen I'm going to be very pleased for the remainder. Outside of some shooters perhaps 1080p should be the bar from here out. 1080p 30fps plus I'll take it.

Thank fucking Christ. This response is much more useful than that "sick burn". Great to hear.

goldenpp72

So, I want this game but only have an Xbox one but might have a PS4 later in the year, has anyone done a total side by side of the differences yet? Last I heard was the framerate stuff but I don't know what came of it.

Game is incredible looking on Xbox One. Game was up and running in 2 minutes or less. Probably less, but couldn't say 100%. I know I was shocked compared to most games I've bought thus far. If this is the start the gen I'm going to be very pleased for the remainder. Outside of some shooters perhaps 1080p should be the bar from here out. 1080p 30fps plus I'll take it.

I'll echo this. It really does look incredible.

Thanks the info.

You're very welcome.

Caayn

It's surprising to see the definitive versions hold their own against the PC version. Very pleased with the shots people have posted thus far.
2 Minutes? That must be a record. TR really sets the bar for multiplatform games that are yet to be released in terms of graphical differences between the consoles versions.

swcpig

Banned
So, I want this game but only have an Xbox one but might have a PS4 later in the year, has anyone done a total side by side of the differences yet? Last I heard was the framerate stuff but I don't know what came of it.

There haven't been any side by sides yet that I have seen. The reviews/analysis that have come out say the differences are mainly in the frame rates. Both have floors of 30fps but PS4 tends to hit 60 and floats downward in the 50s while the Xbox floats around 45 and dips into the 30s. The reality of this will be revealed later if DF does a proper review of it.

I'd grab it since there really is no sense in waiting that long for an already 2 year old game unless you're waiting on price (which I am - only cause I've already spent my video game allowance my wife gives me :) )

Anyways - yeah, great game and it addresses a lot of the Xbox concerns which cropped up early int he multiplat releases (load times, 1080p, et al). PS4 will continue to exploit the differences though and in this case it's frame rate.

Ricker

So it looks better then Ryse,which is suppose to be the king on the One right now...? ,having played through it on the 360,I will have to at least rent this one(on the PS4 though,no XOne yet)...

Mononoke

Banned
Call your closest gamestop. Yesterday I got out of work and called the closest one to my job and they said come on over. Picked it up no problem.

Sounds like a plan. I always have bad luck where my local GameStop sticks rigidly to the street date. I remember when seemingly every GameStop was putting out the ps4 controllers for sale (since it didn't even have a street date), of course my store said they wouldn't sell them until the ps4 launch.

FrankT

So it looks better then Ryse,which is suppose to be the king on the One right now...? ,having played through it on the 360,I will have to at least rent this one(on the PS4 though,no XOne yet)...

RYSE is definitely close but man that 1080p goodness.

viveks86

The framerate differences have been confirmed. With regard to other visual differences, I haven't heard of any yet. Hoping to see DF cover it early next week.

kyser73

I hope I'm allowed to do this, because it's an image worth sharing...someone on the Kotaku comments posted it...

ku-xlarge.jpg

...and yes, as soon as I saw it I said 'Bring me that crossover game in 2015.'

@Viveks

Damn it. Tell me! I wanna know! :(

I'm pretty sure it's Pennello when quizzed about the framerate difference, talking about Ryse.

WoolyNinja

Really wish they would've done the next-gen upgrade deal on this one. If they simply would discount the game 50% for people who owned the PS3 digital version I'd be all over this!

banjo5150

Really wish they would've done the next-gen upgrade deal on this one. If they simply would discount the game 50% for people who owned the PS3 digital version I'd be all over this!

Me too! I want to pick it up but I have it on PS3 don't know if I want to spend money on it.

I cannot foresee any scenario where GTAV releases on PC and doesn't release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 around the same time. Though knowing Rockstar they may drag it out for awhile to prevent cannibalising on last generation sales.

i agree. here's my current theory on potential nextgen 'up-ports':

-PC version must exist of PS360 game in question.
-DLC released and could be packaged into up-port.
-good critical reception at time of it's release.
-poor sales circumstantial.
-bonus points for sales remaining steady over time and eventually covering costs of development.

the PC version would at that point act as the base build for them to port to PS4/xbone, which would help minimize costs of trying to convert a game that (for example) was only on PS3 with it's crazy CELL and RSX coding shenanigans. but i don't think we're going to see many of these priced below $60. the lowest would probably be $50.

- J - D -

Wait, is this seriously better than the PC version?!

Unless you're a stickler for high frame rates amd tessellation, yes. Granted, the definitive edition has about a year of optimisation over the previous versions (pc included) so it better be darn well better.

Apdiddy

Just recently Platinum'ed the PS3 version and I'm not looking forward trying it again on the PS4 (hence my passing on the game).

For those who have the XB1/PS4 versions, is the multiplayer at least improved or the same as the PS3/360 versions (i.e. people camping with bows, people glitch running in the air, etc.)?

Top Bottom