• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

casnix

Next gen version has moving trees/PC version has static trees.

Superior version confirmed.

PC:

ku-xlarge.gif

Xbox One/PS4:

ku-xlarge.gif
That's amazing. *drool*

Ugh... 3 more days until I can get my hands on it.

Shin-Ra

There haven't been any side by sides yet that I have seen. The reviews/analysis that have come out say the differences are mainly in the frame rates. Both have floors of 30fps but PS4 tends to hit 60 and floats downward in the 50s while the Xbox floats around 45 and dips into the 30s. The reality of this will be revealed later if DF does a proper review of it.
Has anyone reputable claimed Xbone never drops below 30 or that PS4 ever drops that low? I think you're stretching the truth from what we've heard about the high-end FR on Xbone too.

Too much bull crap this in thread and that Kotaku comparison was bad, i hated it. Let me clear the air:

If you have a powerful PC then do not get the next gen version, get the PC version instead for it IS the ultimate version regardless of it being a year old. Do not worry about this definitive version at all, and don't let anyone else fool you. Your PC version is the best version, especially if you can output higher than 1080p with all effects to maximum, which makes the game looks insanely good (2560 x 1600 resolution and anything near that is bliss)!

If you do not have a powerful PC and you know dead set that the next gen machines are better than your rig then get the next gen version. Why? Well, due to the power of your rig, the next gen version of the game will perform and look better.

If you have the game already on the 360 or ps4 then do not spend $60 on the next gen version for it is an absolute rip off. Wait until you find it in the bargain bin or a good price drop because you ARE getting the same game. Only double dip if you really feel the need to replay the game countless times.

If you have both next gen machines then get the PS4 version for it is the best one out of the two.

If you have never played Tomb Raider before then based your decision on which one to get from the above points.
In the end, neither the PC nor the PS4/XB1 versions are truly definitive. Both versions are missing things the other has. PC has support for higher resolutions, higher fps, and more AA methods. The next gen versions have a new character model, what seems to be better lighting, more particle effects, SSS, physics added to tons of things(Lara's equipment, the environment, etc), more optimized TressFX.
Both versions are pretty evenly matched in terms of how they look.

If you want something to play on your PS4/XB1, this is a great game to have, regardless if you already played it on PC.

swcpig

Banned
Has anyone reputable claimed Xbone never drops below 30 or that PS4 ever drops that low? I think you're stretching the truth from what we've heard about the high-end FR on Xbone too.

Mulitple sources on the frame rate on Xbox being in the 40s... Not stretching anything.

developer themselves said both are set with 30 and respective systems will go above it as much as possible. I have seen nothing of it dropping below 30 - its running well above that during non-action events and both platforms seem to drop 10 around those.

or maybe take some time to research?

Shin-Ra

Mulitple sources on the frame rate on Xbox being in the 40s... Not stretching anything.

developer themselves said both are set with 30 and respective systems will go above it as much as possible. I have seen nothing of it dropping below 30 - its running well above that during non-action events and both platforms seem to drop 10 around those.

I'm not seeing links to any of these reputable sources and seeing as you were making false claims yesterday I don't find you trustworthy.

yosoypr

Neo Member
Just pick this up at my local Gamestop without having the game pre-ordered. The associate actually was nice and gave me the version with the artwork included that was the pre-ordered version.

Anyone else digging the controller light flickering yellow/red when you turn on a torch? I hate to admit this but it adds to the experience IMO.
Also the touch pad integration is a lot better than how AC4 used it. Trackpad isn't as sensitive and just better IMO. I turned off the controller speaker so I don't know how that's utilized since I use a headset.

What sources have said was that the XB1 versions stays closer to 30-35 most of the time, while reaching the low to mid 40s when there's nothing going on(maybe staring at a wall?). The PS4 version, on the other hand, stays at around 60 most of the time and drops to around 50(maybe 45) during intense sequences. That's still quite a difference.

swcpig

Banned
I'm not seeing links to any of these reputable sources and seeing as you were making false claims yesterday I don't find you trustworthy.

From the OP:

Platform differences: exact variability TBD
Xbox One 30-45 FPS
PS4 45-60 FPS

Junior cat fight yo.

As of right now, there are 236 people who have touched the multiplayer on X1 and appear on leaderboards(Casual meaning Private matches). There are 47 that appear on the ranked leaderboards. Anyone have some PS4 numbers? :p

Carnby

Does anyone else see the trend of the art book being legit rare? Any Gamestop I have been to, have had one extra copy with only two others being reserved.

Jomjom

Banned
From the OP:

Xbox One 30-45 FPS
PS4 45-60 FPS

Junior cat fight yo.

Xbone hits 45 at max because it's not close to the cap. Ps4 is 60 because that is the cap. Obviously if nothing's going on And there was no cap (the situation where the xbone version hits 45) the ps4 would hit above 60.

viveks86

Anyone else digging the controller light flickering yellow/red when you turn on a torch? I hate to admit this but it adds to the experience IMO.
Also the touch pad integration is a lot better than how AC4 used it. Trackpad isn't as sensitive and just better IMO. I turned off the controller speaker so I don't know how that's utilized since I use a headset.

Good to know. Also, meet BruiseBear! :p

I forgot to mention in my earlier impressions, there was one thing that REALLY FUCKING ANNOYED ME playing the PS4 version last night. For whatever stupid reasons the developers decided to use that light on the DS4 in some really stupid ways. Anytime you have a torch in your hand that light is flickering red and yellow. Back and forth, back and forth. I'm playing the game in a dark room and this fucking light is flickering in my lap the whole fucking time. I go into the options thinking "they had to give you the option to turn this off". NOPE! Even worse I read that anytime you fire a gun the light also flickers. I just never got to that point last night, but I've read it in previews. :|

This fucking madness needs to end. Sony made a stupid mistake putting that light on the controller to begin with. The last thing that should be happening is the highlighting of this stupid mistake by using it in incredibly stupid ways like this. NO ONE WANTS THIS. Please make it stop.

Even more amazing, I believe in one of the interviews with the producer on this project, the guy literally said "some of our players want to play in the dark" in reference to this light being used on the controller. So I figured there had to be an option to turn it off. I saw none. Un-fucking-believable.

BigDug13

Games like this are one of the reasons I love Gamefly. I'm not spending $60 on this, but I'm perfectly willing to have it in my queue.

swcpig

Banned
Xbone hits 45 at max because it's not close to the cap. Ps4 is 60 because that is the cap. Obviously if nothing's going on And there was no cap (the situation where the xbone version hits 45) the ps4 would hit above 60.

add possibly jutter all over the play to swing between high frames and 45 making for a jarring experience.

not saying ps4 doesn't have more frames so settle warrior. Its just not shown the Xbox is falling under 30.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Weapon sounds out of the controller are great!

Can you guys stop fighting over the framerate and wait for DF? Why bother fighting over people sticking their thumbs in the air

Jomjom

Banned
add possibly jutter all over the play to swing between high frames and 45 making for a jarring experience.

not saying ps4 doesn't have more frames so settle warrior. Its just not shown the Xbox is falling under 30.

Haha "warrior". That's just fact whether you want to believe it or not.

Ps4 is 60 in most regular situations, xbone is 45 in the most ideal (read: literally nothing going on) situations. If you think comparing those two maximums is apples to apples then maybe you should reevaluate your warrior comment.

But yeah whatever we'll just wait for the DF analysis.

pixlexic

Banned
I hope digital foundry does a compare soon so people will stop guessing.

also if it is close like 40 vs 50 I hope people on neogaf learn something about jumping the gun.

Shin-Ra

Why would judder between 45-60 be worse than 30-45? It wouldn't.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sounds cool, I thought it was a shame NFS didn't do it when you was a Cop, but this sounds like a good use for it to add atmosphere, but I'd imagine those types that.like to blast music while cross chatting will hate it. Lol

gkryhewy

Is there an XB1 marketplace page with game clips yet? I can't find one on smartglass.

"dips into the 30s" suggests it's rarely in the 30s
30-45 suggests more time in the 30s.

This exchange is horrible and you both should feel bad.

Kolgar

I may not bite on this game (I will content myself with my lowly DX10 PC version, which in itself is an upgrade over the 360 game I completed last year), but I will say it is an important release for the following reasons:

- It is proof that the PS4 can rival high-end PC games
- It demonstrates a tangible difference between PS4 and Xbox One
- For Crystal Dynamics, it has generated new excitement for an old game and a franchise that is important to gaming

All in all, I take it as a harbinger of good things to come in gaming, on console and PC alike.

For those playing Lara's latest adventure for the first time or even the second, enjoy! I think everyone's a winner.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Can you guys stop fighting over the framerate and wait for DF? Why bother fighting over people sticking their thumbs in the air

My problem with that though is if I play the game with a headset, KZ SF for example could barely hear the stuff coming from the controller...

Hope thats an option since fastest thing Ill do is switch that to off.

Logash

My problem with that though is if I play the game with a headset, KZ SF for example could barely hear the stuff coming from the controller...

You can switch the speaker sound off from the menu.

Jomjom

Banned

Hold the PS button and choose adjust devices. You can make the speaker very loud or muted completely.

TyrantII

In the end, neither the PC nor the PS4/XB1 versions are truly definitive. Both versions are missing things the other has. PC has support for higher resolutions, higher fps, and more AA methods. The next gen versions have a new character model, what seems to be better lighting, more particle effects, SSS, physics added to tons of things(Lara's equipment, the environment, etc), more optimized TressFX.
Both versions are pretty evenly matched in terms of how they look.

If you want something to play on your PS4/XB1, this is a great game to have, regardless if you already played it on PC.

One thing is for sure. People can stop with the "console are just low end PC's" crap now.

It was never true anyways, unless your PC somehow jettisoned all the OS and hardware bloat and magically put a 8 code multi-threaded CPU on the same (and customized) bus as the GPU and RAM. X86 never meant PC, just blood relative to PC.

They can start console aren't 4K PC rigs. They can keep those machines though, or donate one to me if they'd like.

There haven't been any side by sides yet that I have seen. The reviews/analysis that have come out say the differences are mainly in the frame rates. Both have floors of 30fps but PS4 tends to hit 60 and floats downward in the 50s while the Xbox floats around 45 and dips into the 30s. The reality of this will be revealed later if DF does a proper review of it.

I'd grab it since there really is no sense in waiting that long for an already 2 year old game unless you're waiting on price (which I am - only cause I've already spent my video game allowance my wife gives me :) )

Anyways - yeah, great game and it addresses a lot of the Xbox concerns which cropped up early int he multiplat releases (load times, 1080p, et al). PS4 will continue to exploit the differences though and in this case it's frame rate.

That is not actually what has been reported. It appears to hit 45fps under specific conditions, and would more or less float around 30fps. From the original OP about the framerates, this statement was from the verified sources close to Rocket Chainsaw, that broke the story about the framerates.

See the above link. Honestly, we will have to see a side by side analysis to see when and where each system hits what particular framerate.

mintylurb

I may not bite on this game, but I will say it is an important release for the following reasons:

- It is proof that the PS4 can rival high-end PC games

All in all, I take it as a harbinger of good things to come in gaming, on console and PC alike.

For those playing Lara's latest adventure for the first time or even the second, enjoy! I think everyone's a winner.
It's still lacking tessellation and aa solution/option pales in comparison to what you can achieve on high-end PCs.
With that said, nixxes did a good job of porting the ps4 version and helping out ufg with the x1 port.

I forgot to mention in my earlier impressions, there was one thing that REALLY FUCKING ANNOYED ME playing the PS4 version last night. For whatever stupid reasons the developers decided to use that light on the DS4 in some really stupid ways. Anytime you have a torch in your hand that light is flickering red and yellow. Back and forth, back and forth. I'm playing the game in a dark room and this fucking light is flickering in my lap the whole fucking time. I go into the options thinking "they had to give you the option to turn this off". NOPE! Even worse I read that anytime you fire a gun the light also flickers. I just never got to that point last night, but I've read it in previews. :|

This fucking madness needs to end. Sony made a stupid mistake putting that light on the controller to begin with. The last thing that should be happening is the highlighting of this stupid mistake by using it in incredibly stupid ways like this. NO ONE WANTS THIS. Please make it stop.

Even more amazing, I believe in one of the interviews with the producer on this project, the guy literally said "some of our players want to play in the dark" in reference to this light being used on the controller. So I figured there had to be an option to turn it off. I saw none. Un-fucking-believable.

I like the light flickering since it mimics the light from the torch. I was playing in total darkness and it's faint enough that it's no obnoxious. They should have the option to turn it off at least for people like you who don't like it. Still though I don't understand how it could have made you so upset.

Danneee

Fps 45-60 for the PS4 version? I wasn't interested to begin with but that kind of sloppy work will make me not even want to d/l it when it inevitable Is free on PS+.

Could you share a link? I posted above what was stated from the site that broke the framerate news. I haven't heard anything about it being in the 40s consitantly at all. It appears to be very specific scenes or enviornments/conditions.

However, I am just going by the link. I could be wrong "multiple sources" are reporting it, I just haven't seen them.

From the OP:

Xbox One 30-45 FPS
PS4 45-60 FPS

Junior cat fight yo.

So that is your "multiple sources" that the framerate is in the 40s? Just one statement in the OP? That is all we know based on the Rocket Chainsaw report. And it never hints that it is in the 40s consistently, just under specific conditions.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I like the light flickering since it mimics the light from the torch. I was playing in total darkness and it's faint enough that it's no obnoxious. They should have the option to turn it off at least for people like you who don't like it. Still though I don't understand how it could have made you so upset.

I see you're not familiar with BruiserBear. This is what he does.

So the PS4 is now a jarring experience because of "jutter all over the play" (I assume "place"?) Where are you hearing this? Where is this even being reported?

Well said, I am done. I was just trying to point out that the above user was posting information based on no sources or examples at all. And saying the PS4 version has "jutter all over the place" is not founded or reported anywhere. Finally, saying one version sits around 45fps WAS reported as only happening in very specific scenes/conditions. I was trying to go on what was reported, and not just making up stuff like it appears some may be doing (and have been caught doing).

swcpig

Banned
So that is your "multiple sources" that the framerate is in the 40s? Just one statement in the OP? That is all we know based on the Rocket Chainsaw report. And it never hints that it is in the 40s consistently, just under specific conditions.

I'm going to follow the mods suggestion on this convo and wait for the foundry review. Quote and keep my posts for record if so inclined.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm playing it for the first time and enjoying it, but that shaky cam is something else. It's almost ruining the game for me by itself.

le.phat

It's still lacking tessellation and aa solution/option pales in comparison to what you can achieve on high-end PCs.
With that said, nixxes did a good job of porting the ps4 version and helping out ufg with the x1 port.

Xbone could be holding ps4 back though

Top Bottom