• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

I am heading to Best Buy to see if they have this game out. I will pick up on PS4 if they do. I doubt they will, however, since nobody has reported getting it there.

Moozo

I adored this game on 360 and I kind of want to play it again on PS4 but I'm scared I'm going to pay £40 for it. Somebody put me off quick

I'm gonna swing by GameStop today and pick this. This game is also really making me antsy for a GTAV port to the new consoles as I've yet to play that either.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you consider something that has lower quality textures, much worse foliage, a framerate that is not a consistent 60FPS on either PS4 or Xbone with no dips whatsoever at a much lower resolution than what a high end PC can play at..then sure..its a rival.

Hilarious post. Don't worry bruh, nobody is taking your PC away.

Tux

I've always thought it was the best because it's something you notice, but not too much, and at 60 fps it doesn't feel as though it affects response times for me. I also provided the screenshots to show that it's a very high quality blur that almost effectively emulates cinema. The visual difference between Cinema and games isn't framerate, it's actually presentation. If you could make a game that accurately anti aliased with blur like a movie, and provide the smoothness of a movie, either through frames or blur, or whatever, then the only thing that would matter is if it responded to input fast enough. But for clarity and competitive play, framerate is king. This is why pro players always set games to low settings and play on really fast monitors with 1-200 hz and use very high DPI mouses.

Thanks! Yeah, I've seen non-texture completived maps as well for the pure comp player. Looks 8-bit, but fast as hell. :D

If you consider something that has lower quality textures, much worse foliage, a framerate that is not a consistent 60FPS on either PS4 or Xbone with no dips whatsoever at a much lower resolution than what a high end PC can play at..then sure..its a rival.
Lots of butthurt PC guys in this thread. Geez.

R3TRODYCE

I'm pretty close to beating this on PS4 and I must say that both console manufacturers did a bang up job with their controllers. I can effortlessly switch between them without having to relearn the pads.

TyrantII

Lots of butthurt PC guys in this thread. Geez.

It's Saturday, they're all working and left the thread.

The PC guys with Saturdays off and disposable income are now here. And less insecure and they're impressed.

Either way its a good thing if consoles can keep up with higher end PC for a while. It means the bar will be higher for PC as well. No more nerfed Bioshock Infinite's, least for a while.

Been seeing alot of PS4 shots now of the new lara face and i have to say, the old face is much better looking.
iq7UYu3wUzGlo.jpg

Bluforce

I didn't planned to get this game, but I didn't play this Tomb Raider before and 60FPS convinced me. 50 Euro on Amazon.

delta25

Banned

I think you may want to rethink what you just said, this is a game that brings even the mightiest of PC' to their knees, yet here we have what is what is arguably a "low end spec" console pushing out visuals that either match the PC at ultra or beat it based on various added effects depending on your preference. It would be really grand if PC gamers stopped clinging to the most trivial things in order to try and preserve that almighty PC dominance when its simply not the case with this game, except it, and move on.

What kind of PC is needed to get the same settings though? This is a $400 machine that's keeping up with high end PCs.

cameron

One thing is for sure. People can stop with the "console are just low end PC's" crap now.

It was never true anyways, unless your PC somehow jettisoned all the OS and hardware bloat and magically put a 8 code multi-threaded CPU on the same (and customized) bus as the GPU and RAM. X86 never meant PC, just blood relative to PC.

They can start console aren't 4K PC rigs. They can keep those machines though, or donate one to me if they'd like.

I think the PS4 version of TR is easily technically and visually better than the PC version, but the stuff in bold is truly embarrassing to read.

TyrantII

Much better at showing emotion, they goofed up with the update.

New face is better IMO

BUT

Old animation work with the old face was much, much better. Seems like there's something wrong with the cheeks, nose, and forehead not being animated right while the eyes and mouth are. Leads to a uncanny valley effects.

Maybe a glitch they can fix? Or did they just port the old animations and they don't work well on the new structure?

Chinner

Banned
i can see how this is controversial, ps4 fans are having to spend 35 pounds for a superior product, while pc gamers cling onto the fact that they bought it for 10 pound on a steam sale, although they probably spend 1500+ on their pc to even pleay it maxed out.

xion4360

are people not noticing this issue with TressFX? when you start aiming it turns off.. the hair just stops moving and becomes this solid clump.

can someone contact CD about this so they can patch it, its not a technical limitation because sometimes if your in water it will work, its some bug and im surprised no one seems to mention it.

Teletraan1

Banned
It's Saturday, they're all working and left the thread.

The PC guys with Saturdays off and disposable income are now here. And less insecure and they're impressed.

Either way its a good thing if consoles can keep up with higher end PC for a while. It means the bar will be higher for PC as well. No more nerfed Bioshock Infinite's, least for a while.

Thanks for the Saturday chuckle. I am so tempted to pick this up, having never played it before. Wish Canada had some gaming deals once in a while. Hearing people pick this up well below retail before its even out seems like some sort of dream.

TyrantII

I think the PS4 version of TR is easily technically and visually better than the PC version, but the stuff in bold is truly embarrassing to read.

Why? It's true.

The APU and Northbridge on these consoles is quite a bit different than in a PC, offering performance gains. It's the point.

I'm not claiming these consoles are 4K rendering monsters. But the real embarrassing thing was some PC Rags putting up "build a console now" articles and conflating the hardware with of the shelf parts of low to mid range PC's (Builds that were still running $800-1000 might I add).

That said being X86 developers could easily throw unoptimized ports on them and get them running due to the similar nature. But you'd be totally ignoring their hardware differences and strengths.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Worse foliage? From what I've seen the nextgen versions have more foliage and physics to them, the quality of textures is questionable too, they aren't the same textures and they're definitely not low res, some shots have shown them to be better and very different
But I think the worse thing is both versions aren't the same, Next-gen don't have tessalation
But PC don't have next-gen Lara, subsurface shattering, nextgen lighting, particles, physics on everything and AND swaying trees lol
Its like people jump one thing but ignore the giant list of shit that would effect their PC performance if it was included too, it laughable.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I am not saying its unimpressive, it looks visually great on playstation and xbox, especially considering the price of the consoles I agree, however in no way shape or form does it match PC on ultra settings at 4k at 60FPS that is just a fact nobody can deny.

My point is, I do not understand why console gamers cannot wrap their heads around the fact a 400-500 console will NEVER have better visuals than a PC that costs 5 times more and has far better specs.

That is not really an argument on my part I am just stating the obvious, I also have a PS4, nothing visually has matched any games I have played on my PC rig.

Dude, you're ridiculous.

Think about the amount of people that have a fucking beast of a rig that is able to run this at 4K on unltra settings at 60FPS. Or even own a 4K monitor. It's completely laughable.

Rivaling PC does not mean "shits all over every PC ever" like you seem to think it does, it means that it's rivalling PC. Which it is right now.
Relax.

delta25

Banned
Hey, I could care less what platform people enjoy the game on, I also have a PS4, I am just stating facts, if people chose to ignore the facts that's fine, but what did I say that was incorrect?

Instead of being overly bias you could just admit that both versions have their benefits.
If this comparison is anything to go by than its clearly evident that the console version defiantly has its pro's
PC
ku-xlarge.gif

Vs
Console
ku-xlarge.gif

Now on the other hand, if this comparison in the link is a proper indication than the PC version has its its pro's as well:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/24/tomb-raider-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/71343/

Tux

Hey, I could care less what platform people enjoy the game on, I also have a PS4, I am just stating facts, if people chose to ignore the facts that's fine, but what did I say that was incorrect?

I think you are misinterpreting Kolgar's post. The PS4's version of the game is "rival" over high-end PCs only in the sense that the PCs version of the game is missing particle effects and character models that aren't included in the PC release. These additions are not trivial. That's fact. This doesn't mean that if the PCs gets a patch that adds these features it stays behind the "rival" curve. In spite of these additional effects applied to the PS4/XB1 versions does the fact that high-end PCs current frames-per-second (120+) and brute power rival the current PS4's game build persuade you to choose the PC version over the PS4 version? That's ultimately your decision.

The PC can only make use of its power on what the developers give it. Got patch?

Top Bottom