• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Gestault

recentral2014-01-2416tijxa.png

Gorgeous, next week needs to hurry up lol

UV8MQK5.png

I really wish the xbone version ran just as good as the ps4 version. I've got both systems and I really wanted to throw my x1 a bone. But that frame rate. I just can't.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
i can see how this is controversial, ps4 fans are having to spend 35 pounds for a superior product, while pc gamers cling onto the fact that they bought it for 10 pound on a steam sale, although they probably spend 1500+ on their pc to even pleay it maxed out.

amazon has it for just shy of 2.5 pounds atm

Blinck

Now on the other hand, if this comparison in the link is a proper indication than the PC version has its its pro's as well:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/24/tomb-raider-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/71343/

Wow, it's still a big difference from PC to PS4. The PS4 seems to still be missing some stuff in those shots like shadows, specular lights, props, texture resolution, etc.

Character models do look better on PS4 though.

Edit: They don't look better just for being on PS4, they simply ARE better because they were actually updated.

Alchemist

I'm kinda impressed that this doesn't seem to be a quick and lazy port.

It seems like a fair amount of effort went into it and the improvements (when added together) are not insignificant. Still unsure if I want to pay full price for this though.

My thoughts exactly. Crystal Dynamics seems to have done a great job porting this over.

Kinda wish I hadn't already Platinum'ed this so recently on PS3 otherwise I'd double dip.

It's impressive to me that people are even having to nitpick over the comparison shots. The PS4 makes an impressive showing here. I have a 920D at 4ghz and a 7970 GHZ and I get about 50 fps average with everything jacked at 1080p.

Instead of being overly bias you could just admit that both versions have their benefits.
If this comparison is anything to go by than its clearly evident that the console version defiantly has its pro's
PC
ku-xlarge.gif

Vs
Console
ku-xlarge.gif

It strikes me funny how this example gets ignored in favor of 4k resolution over 2k resolution.

I am not saying its unimpressive, it looks visually great on playstation and xbox, especially considering the price of the consoles I agree, however in no way shape or form does it match PC on ultra settings at 4k at 60FPS that is just a fact nobody can deny.

My point is, I do not understand why console gamers cannot wrap their heads around the fact a 400-500 console will NEVER have better visuals than a PC that costs 5 times more and has far better specs.

That is not really an argument on my part I am just stating the obvious, I also have a PS4, nothing visually has matched any games I have played on my PC rig.

So you're telling me you can play this game at 4K, with tessellation on, Ultra settings, xxSSAA(it goes from 2x-8x, I think), TressFX on, AND keep it at 60fps at ALL times? You must have a beast of a PC, then. How much was it? $700+?

FrankT

This response is much more useful than that "sick burn". Great to hear.

Oh yes, no worries. After a half day with this on X1 I can definitely say best looking game I've ever played. Nothing to complain about on the FR side as well. More than holds up. This entire game convinces me early on this machine is more than capable of putting out some stellar looking games this gen.

CthulhuPL

However I think I took "Rival" in a more literal sense than I should have when in reality the poster was just saying "it does not look much different" in which I can agree.

I think that he meant this: a console that costs $400 can rival decent PCs with similliar tech that costs much more than $400. I agree with this.

I am not saying its unimpressive, it looks visually great on playstation and xbox, especially considering the price of the consoles I agree, however in no way shape or form does it match PC on ultra settings at 4k at 60FPS that is just a fact nobody can deny.

My point is, I do not understand why console gamers cannot wrap their heads around the fact a 400-500 console will NEVER have better visuals than a PC that costs 5 times more and has far better specs.

That is not really an argument on my part I am just stating the obvious, I also have a PS4, nothing visually has matched any games I have played on my PC rig.

some pc players are out of touch with reality i have a i7 with a gtx770 and i cant get the game to run at 1080p at 60 fps with the hair effects activated and you talk me about 4k?

come on dude.

its funny how the new battlecry of some pc users is 4K 4K when there is a lot of pc games who need a beast of a pc to run at 1080p and 60fps with at ultra settings ( arma3 im loooking at you)

Playing it on the PS4. If I have to fault it for anything it's that Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is almost too good. It lacks the cinematic feel of 30 FPS.

tomfusion

Neo Member
Anyone else had the game randomly pause on PS4? A quick google mentioned it may be voice recognition picking something up wrong. My kids were playing in the room at the time, so it was noisy at times, but not sure anyone said 'pause' or something similar. Will have to look in the options and see if I can turn off voice recognition.

Meant to say, I have the camera which is plugged in.

Frazley

I had to double dip.

Complaint: The video camera in the beginning is 1080i, not 1080p. 1 out of 10!

Kidding aside, wow the PS4 is better than PS3 by a longshot!

Breemin

I bit the bullet and picked one up today from GameStop for the PS4. I already finished it for the PS3 but I didn't get all trophies, so maybe this time I can do a more complete play through.

Plus I am completely bored with the PS4 and need something to play bad.

Luckily in my area the GameStop is never sold out of anything. They even have PS4 in stock now.
I always see poor kids begging their dad to buy them a game. My kids are so lucky. They never even need to ask, and they have everything you can think of when it just gets released.

DieH@rd

Banned
Anyone else had the game randomly pause on PS4? A quick google mentioned it may be voice recognition picking something up wrong. My kids were playing in the room at the time, so it was noisy at times, but not sure anyone said 'pause' or something similar. Will have to look in the options and see if I can turn off voice recognition.

Meant to say, I have the camera which is plugged in.

This.

some pc players are out of touch with reality i have a i7 with a gtx770 and i cant get the game to run at 1080p at 60 fps with the hair effects activated and you talk me about 4k?

come on dude.

its funny how the new battlecry of some pc users is 4K 4K when there is a lot of pc games who need a beast of a pc to run at 1080p and 60fps with at ultra settings ( arma3 im loooking at you)

Huh? Runs around 60fps, 1080p, tressfx, and tessellation enabled on my Gtx 770 and I was just playing it last night. Maybe you had MSAAx8 enabled or something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dude, you're ridiculous.

Think about the amount of people that have a fucking beast of a rig that is able to run this at 4K on unltra settings at 60FPS. Or even own a 4K monitor. It's completely laughable.

Rivaling PC does not mean "shits all over every PC ever" like you seem to think it does, it means that it's rivalling PC. Which it is right now.
Relax.

You'd only need SLI titans for that - doesn't everyone have those? http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pq321q-4k-gaming,review-32782-9.html

ramuh

I bit the bullet and picked one up today from GameStop for the PS4. I already finished it for the PS3 but I didn't get all trophies, so maybe this time I can do a more complete play through.

Plus I am completely bored with the PS4 and need something to play bad.

Luckily in my area the GameStop is never sold out of anything. They even have PS4 in stock now.

Lol. Same story here! I was trading in some games and preordering Tales of Symphonia and said oh what the hell. To me (had Ps4 since launch) I'm getting to that point where it's about time to get a new game. Enjoying it so far!

Kolgar

I just meant that it looks as if PS4 may offer enough power to give console gamers a taste of the delicious fruits PC gamers have been enjoying for some time.

I'm very happy that PS4 seems capable of keeping pace with recent high-end PC games a bit better than expected.

That's good news for PS4 owners and PC gamers alike. Perhaps especially PC gamers, whose games, I think, have had their potential held back a bit due to consoles

The higher the consoles reach, the higher the ceiling for PC games. I look at an enhanced port like this, which compares so favorably to the PC version, as a win for everybody. That we have to scrutinize comparison shots so closely to tell the difference means everyone can enjoy the core experience for what it is, without having to worry that they're missing out on a dramatically better experience elsewhere.

I was around for the Super NES versus Genesis comparisons, and I can tell you, back in those days, one side usually lost out a heck of a lot worse than either PS4 or PC gamers with Tomb Raider.

As someone who completed the game on 360 and bought the PC version for a song last month, I won't be buying this again. But for those who have yet to experience the game, or those who relish another romp in higher fidelity, I think this release offers a fine opportunity.

Have fun no matter which platform you play it on!

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont even know why there is a debate going on here. PC version is the original release. This new version had work done to it to improve things.

Until PC gets that version, no use trying to compare them, other than pointing out what the changes actually were. Dont know why people are coming off butthurt here. If they release this version on PC, clearly, we know how thats gonna turn out. Hope they do eventually.

lupin23rd

Anyone in Canada seen the game in stores yet? Thinking I might go looking for it.

Went to a couple EBGames today and no luck, didn't see it at FS or BB either.

When I mentioned it was already on sale in the US to the hipster dude at the Vancouver shop he just said it was a couple stores that broke street date and it's off shelves now and those guys will probably be fired. LOL

Breemin

Im not surprised how this turned into a PC vs PS4 contest.

I have both, and I have a very powerful gaming pc. Gaming on my pc is simply not as comfortable as consoles. And there are too many console exclusives which my PC will never get to play.

A high end PC can be 3x as powerful as the PS4 graphically and speed wise, and games released on both can be modded on a PC to look much better. I tend to not want to "work" on a game for me to enjoy it more. I enjoy the fact I don't need to work or even think about modding on a console since its not even possible.

That's just me.

abtom

Banned
For someone like me who has already played the game on PC at ultra settings/1440p with TressFX, is the PS4 version worth the 60 bucks, or would you suggest waiting till it drops to, say, 40?

Loved the game, by the way.

delta25

Banned
Huh? Runs around 60fps, 1080p, tressfx, and tessellation enabled on my Gtx 770 and I was just playing it last night. Maybe you had MSAAx8 enabled or something?

And its stuff like this that always leaves me bit wary of PC gaming, for me personally there are way to many variables for which a game can run. You both have the same gpu yet have completely different performances results.

TyrantII

You'd only need SLI titans for that - doesn't everyone have those? http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pq321q-4k-gaming,review-32782-9.html

Its also funny because outside of quad-sli, your heading back to 30fps if you want the resolution and super sampling.

So they're really just hypocritically arguing in circles.

Top end PC is always going to brute force things / pump out better, and few people are going to argue against that. The real story is a $400 box giving a mid to mid-high end rig a run for its money by effeciency. And what that means for development this gen on all platforms.

It looks better then the PC version in some areas, like the effects, but the game looks too dark in other areas, like someone added way too much contrast to hide something. PC had better lightning I guess. You could see what's up.

Anyways, the PS4 version runs beautifully, it definitely dips down in heavy action, but no complaints.

Breemin

Lol. Same story here! I was trading in some games and preordering Tales of Symphonia and said oh what the hell. To me (had Ps4 since launch) I'm getting to that point where it's about time to get a new game. Enjoying it so far!

Unfortunately I have been at that point for about a month, ever since I finished AC4. I have been playing Knack with the kids, but that is not very fun for me.

Were you on the fence about getting it? I wasn't so sure I wanted to pay full price for a double dip, but then again.. boredom wins. If they released this game after Second Son, I imagine it would have sold much less.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Baring in mind that most sites are now acknowledging that it runs better on the PS4, I'm going to be interested in seeing the reviews.

ramuh

Unfortunately I have been at that point for about a month, ever since I finished AC4. I have been playing Knack with the kids, but that is not very fun for me.

Were you on the fence about getting it? I wasn't so sure I wanted to pay full price for a double dip, but then again.. boredom wins. If they released this game after Second Son, I imagine it would have sold much less.

Yea I was on the fence. I played through AC4, KZ and NFS and am bored. I only played Tomb Raider for like an hour so it's new to me. I'll take my time with it with BF4 mixed in until Second Son.

Top Bottom