• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its also funny because outside of quad-sli, your heading back to 30fps if you want the resolution and super sampling.

So they're really just hypocritically arguing in circles.

Top end PC is always going to brute force things / pump out better, and few people are going to argue against that. The real story is a $400 box giving a mid to mid-high end rig a run for its money by effeciency. And what that means for development this gen on all platforms.

Every single generation since the original XBox has been the same thing when it comes to this. This gen is not suddenly going to be different. Give it a year or two, the expensive pcs of today will be besting the ps4. Exactly the same arguments are had as well. Its amusing.

Gurish

Fps 45-60 for the PS4 version? I wasn't interested to begin with but that kind of sloppy work will make me not even want to d/l it when it inevitable Is free on PS+.
Are you serious?! The game mostly runs on 60 fps on PS4 and sometimes dips a little during some of the more heavy scenes.
This is how almost all 60 FPS games on consoles works, including BF4 and COD, You do not consider them to be 60 as well?
If you are disappointed by such performance you are in for a very tough generation on consoles (esp if you also have an X1), go get a PC Instead with a powerful spec that will stay way above 60 and never dips below, consoles are not for you.

Been playing the Xbox One version today, and I'm digging how much better it looks compared to the 360 version - although using LB to scan is a bit tricky since the bumpers on this pad suck.

boltz

I've never understood the need for a console or PC gamer to talk down one or the other. But the fact is that a lot of games exist on the PC because they were developed for the consoles and PC is an afterthought. With the next generation of consoles out, I'm looking forward to the bar being raised for multiplatform games on PC.

With that said, everyone should be happy and should want the next gen console versions of games like Tomb Raider to look better than the PC version because consoles will always end up weaker than PCs and hold back PC games down the road.

Breemin

After playing for a few minutes on the PS4, I suddenly remembered how awesome this game is and I will definitely enjoy this version to the fullest.

Those water drips on the screen look freakin real! Like 3D almost...
what's up with the 1080i video flash backs! .. I was expecting 1080p/60fps, isn't this next gen?... lol

TyrantII

Every single generation since the original XBox has been the same thing when it comes to this. This gen is not suddenly going to be different. Give it a year or two, the expensive pcs of today will be besting the ps4. Exactly the same arguments are had as well. Its amusing.

Yup. I wouldn't even say expensive. Console will get cheaper and keep up, but you'll be able to build a $1000 PC OS/display and all and get similar performance or better.

There's been PC's more powerful than consoles at release since at least Gen 6. Maybe even Gen 5. People are missing the forest for the trees arguing about high end PC gaming compared to these consoles. It's never been a contest in recent history, and it never will going forward.

What they do have to worry about is how much of a drag console will be on game development for those that can afford high end, and middle end in a few years. If they're smart, they should be rooting for these inexpensive boxes to be performance beasts; because in the end it's going to directly benefit their gaming as well.

Am i reading this thread correctly... the argument moved on from how gimped the xbone version and now people are trying to put the ps4 in the same ballpark as a gaming pc??

feels like 2006 again

ironcreed

Banned
Instead of being overly bias you could just admit that both versions have their benefits.
If this comparison is anything to go by than its clearly evident that the console version defiantly has its pro's
PC
ku-xlarge.gif

Vs
Console
ku-xlarge.gif

Yeah and that is the Xbox One version as well. Looks great.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Am i reading this thread correctly... the argument moved on from how gimped the xbone version and now people are trying to put the ps4 in the same ballpark as a gaming pc??

feels like 2006 again
No I think people are saying( and they're right ) that this version is a improvement over the PC version, this has nothing to do with power....other then its impressive for a launch window game for consoles.
PC would run this version better if it was available, but people are jumping the gun and are not listening and getting defensive & are making stupid remarks instead of saying "that looks great, hope they patch or release this version on PC" like most adults would.

Pjsprojects

Credit due,the PS4 version looks dam good on a £350 machine!
I built my pc with used parts and it still cost a fair bit more than that,yes I can play it on ultra with tress fx but some of whats seen in the PS4 version simply is not coded in to the PC version.

A good game on PS4,PC and even Xbone.

Breemin

He said he can tell if it's side by side, but it's hard for him to tell otherwise. There's nothing wrong with that, and certainly no reason to attack him with petty Internet scorn.

I am waiting to see a true review saying the 'magic' is lost at 60fps. Then we will truly know who is bias.

Thorgi

I am waiting to see a true review saying the 'magic' is lost at 60fps. Then we will truly know who is bias.

Sure, if he said that, it would be concerning, but from what I've seen he's totally not like that. Easily the best egg at Polygon (aside from Rowan Kaiser, though he's only a freelancer and just started contributing).

netguy503

just got this game from gamestop. PSN: Netguy503. I might be streaming in a few. But add me as I'd love to be in a GAF clan to take care of MP trophies (should be better mow that we have party chat at least). Thanks. :)

UnrealEck

The real story is a $400 box giving a mid to mid-high end rig a run for its money by effeciency.
By efficiency I can only assume you're talking about the secret sauce, optimisation and whatever other magical goings on hardware has when it's put inside a console's chasis. If a game runs as well as it can on both platforms, it'll perform similarly on similar specs. I've yet to be convinced otherwise.
Using Tomb Raider as an example. If you run the game on a 7850 at PS4 settings (or the PS4 build essentially with the new TressFX, minus tesselation and so on), I'm sure you would see the game running at 50-60 FPS.

Just picked this up at gamestop. First store I went to was sold out on PS4, they looked it up at another store and I went there and got the last copy.....crazy....

Both stores did have the Xbox One version as well, this is Greenwood and south Indy Gamestop s, BTW.....

Is there a way to export the full size images I've taken of this game onto a thumb drive or something? I tried simply posting it to Twitter but it seems to have reduced the image's dimensions.

Breemin

Is there a way to export the full size images I've taken of this game onto a thumb drive or something? I tried simply posting it to Twitter but it seems to have reduced the image's dimensions.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I shared a game play video on Facebook and it looks like shit. Does not do this game justice.

MagicX

Neo Member
Picked up a copy today for the Xbox One. This game is simply gorgeous - I missed out on playing this game last year, so I feel like I'm going to be in for a good treat this weekend.

Tux

It's not suddenly. The PS One and PS2 came with their own proprietary chipsets and developer tools. The XB at least had the benefit of their custom Microsoft tools that benefited the ports that went to the 360 compared to the much more esoteric PS3's Cell Processor. Gradually overtime, the idea that using off-the-shelf parts (Intel or AMD, as opposed to the PowerPC from IBM) and following unified RAM design and moving to the AMD APU architecture will allow for more longevity from the consoles. So, that "besting" will be less than previous generations just based on standardizing hardware alone.

Another factor is how much will this affect how many game developers focus on the console first vs the PC. Even last gen PC gamers complained that their port was always neglected compared to the consoles. Will that improve knowing now that the PS4 (and to some extent the XB1) and its AMD developer tools have been built from the ground-up with the developers wants/needs in mind?

So, when you say, "give it a year or two" I'll say, ok. The gap will widen slower. But be aware that this also comes with the added benefit to new developer tools and ones familiarity with the single platform AMD console hardware compared to the ever changing sea of Nvidia and AMD drivers, operating systems, and patches you'd find in the Windows 7/8 ecosystem. It's harder to please all PC gamers. It's going to be easier to do that with console gamers now that x86_64 standards have become more influential.

Majanew

Banned
I feel that if you can't tell the difference between 60 fps and 30 fps in a profession that looks for these things when doing a review that the person doing the review should have to look for a new job in a different field.

Agreed.

It's easy to see and feel the difference between 30fps and 60fps when you don't have shit eyes and a shit brain.

MilkBeard

I like the light flickering since it mimics the light from the torch. I was playing in total darkness and it's faint enough that it's no obnoxious. They should have the option to turn it off at least for people like you who don't like it. Still though I don't understand how it could have made you so upset.

For what it's worth, I've been playing the game in the dark and I haven't even noticed the flickering, and I even knew about it beforehand. It's not that pronounced. But yeah, they probably should allow an option to turn it off just for those people who get annoyed.

I have to convince the wife I need to get this game at full price. For some reason I have a feeling retailers are not going to have overstock issues with this game, especially on PS4.

Would his stance on this issue be considered... neutral?

After resolution gate can't trust gaming press when it comes to resolution
and if they only/mostly play on console framerate will be hard for them.

sixamp

why are people saying the ps4 version is better than the pc version? isnt the PC version the same as the ps360 and the xb1/ps4 completely rebuilt for nextgen? if the pc got a port of the next gen version then the ps4 /xb1 would be put to serious shame

dolabla

I feel that if you can't tell the difference between 60 fps and 30 fps in a profession that looks for these things when doing a review that the person doing the review should have to look for a new job in a different field of work.

100% agree.

Is Polygon also one of the sites that said you can't tell a difference between 1080p vs. 720p? They do employ quite possibly the biggest Xbox fanboy in the industry.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I bought the ps4 version today after playing the ps3 version yesterday. Without a doubt, this is the definitive version on a console.

Top Bottom