• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Spent a little over 2 hours in the game so far
got the climbing axe and made it to the next base camp
, and I'm having a great time. Everything looks great and I feel like I'm pacing myself at a reasonable rate just so I can explore as much as possible. I do like the implementation of fast traveling between base camps so I can go back at any time to find stuff I haven't discovered yet. If I have one nitpick, it's that the game feels the need to automatically pause during a cutscene or when I'm in the middle of controlling Lara. I don't know if it was like that in the 360/PS3 versions, but it's really annoying

stryke

If I have one nitpick, it's that the game feels the need to automatically pause during a cutscene or when I'm in the middle of controlling Lara. I don't know if it was like that in the 360/PS3 versions, but it's really annoying

TR has voice controls and recognition is dodgy as it seems to respond to anything.

TR has voice controls and recognition is dodgy as it seems to respond to anything.

I think the only voice control I've had issue with so far is extinguishing the torch and 1-2 minor instances of me switching out a weapon when I didn't want to. Rest of the time, I'm mostly quiet

Just got my copy and:

l072.jpg

Seriously a full price game and NO MENU?!

:\

Anyway supper excited to start the game now.

Will try to update the information in the OP sometime today in terms of more exact information presented by digital foundry and other such things.

I've put in a few hours and I gotta say I am really impressed. The game looks and plays fantastic on my PS4, like I am blown away by the visuals. I also feel like the swipe to light the torch is a nice addition. I can see some great applications for the touchpad to add a lot of functionality. Overall a wonderful experience for someone who did not play it last gen.

MilkBeard

Shit, this sucks. I was playing and the game crashed with an unknown error. I go to start it up and the save file says corrupted. Kinda pissed off because I've probably put like 15 hours in already.

I haven't downloaded the patch yet, which probably would have prevented this. I don't have internet at my place that I can hook into. But for those who are getting the game, make sure you download the patch. First time a game has crashed on my PS4.

rhoq

Ok seriously seeing the new Lara in pictures and videos is one thing, but playing the game by yourself is another matter.

She looks breathtaking

I agree. The game looks far better in person than it does in all of these comparison videos and screenshots. I'm glad I decided to pick this up, not so glad that I paid another $60 for it, but whatever.

rhoq

Just found out, that TR will be available on 31st of January. Thought i can play it today. Sad.

GameStop has been selling it since last Thursday or Friday. Most other retailers are sticking to the "official" release date of January 31st, even though there was supposedly no strict street date attached to the release.

U2NUMB

I am very frustrated with Best Buy right now... no sign of it being in today and they STILL have 2/4/14 as the release date. On the phone with them now but it is worthless.

Are they going to release this on the PSN? I kinda want to buy it on there. I got 60$ on the PSN store burning a hole in my digital pocket...

BFIB

Since I passed on this on PS3/360 (was going to get the PC version), I'm heading up to the store to get this today.

Big fan of the Uncharted games, this looks right up my alley to break in my PS4 along w/ AC IV.

EDIT: Target shows the release date on 1/30? Anyone pick a copy up there yet?

Krakatoa

It has been like that for years and the few manuals that do make it are getting less and less pages.

Though, mine not only came with a booklet..the packaging was the booklet. :p

Yeah I was surprised how well it was packaged. Are there two different versions floating around?

Oh and does anyone else PS4 fans kick into High gear playing this game? This is the first disc game I purchased for the PS4 (DL games normally), and at times it loud, I have to crack up the surround a notch.

Came back to my dorm from the Christmas break with my PS4, unfortunately I can't seem to find the cord that charges the controller. I suppose it doesn't matter when it goes up on the PSN store for me. Not until I figure out if I even remembered to bring the damned thing. Bleh, I kinda miss batteries.

Lima

Came back to my dorm from the Christmas break with my PS4, unfortunately I can't seem to find the cord that charges the controller. I suppose it doesn't matter when it goes up on the PSN store for me. Not until I figure out if I even remembered to bring the damned thing. Bleh, I kinda miss batteries.

You surely have a micro USB cable in your house.

I'm playing through this right now on PC and I have to say that I'm amazed by how close the PS4 version is in quality to Ultra. When I bought my PS4 it was mainly for Sony/Japanese exclusives that I knew wouldn't come to PC but at this rate I may end up buying multiplats for it also.

R3TRODYCE

Just traded in my copy to GS and put the money back on Infamous SS. I thought the game was very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to TR2.

U2NUMB

For anyone waiting on Best Buy here is what they are saying...

"Hey Tomb Raiders,

At this time we have communicated to our stores that we should sell the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition games immediately when received. The date we were expecting to start receiving them in-stores was today, so you could start to see them hit Best Buy shelves today.

Thanks for your commitment to gaming with Best Buy.

Regards,"

Moofers

Just traded in my copy to GS and put the money back on Infamous SS. I thought the game was very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to TR2.
So you had like a $25 rental then? I can't imagine them giving you more than $35 for it. Maybe $40, but dang dude you may as well have rented it for a couple days instead.

R3TRODYCE

So you had like a $25 rental then? I can't imagine them giving you more than $35 for it. Maybe $40, but dang dude you may as well have rented it for a couple days instead.
The original plan was to keep it longer but then I started to think about the trade in value dropping on it and I disliked the MP so I traded it in after I beat the SP.

Krilekk

Banned
Ready to start at 7 % download for the digital version. Nice. Already bought the game for PC and 360 but only played the 360 one for the first hour. Gonna be a nice experience.

fernoca

Krakatoa said:
Yeah I was surprised how well it was packaged. Are there two different versions floating around?

Oh and does anyone else PS4 fans kick into High gear playing this game? This is the first disc game I purchased for the PS4 (DL games normally), and at times it loud, I have to crack up the surround a notch.
Yeah. There was the standalone and the arbook version. Both cost the same. Artbook version was for preorders and first shipments, regular for everyone else.

And yeah, my PS4's fan sounds a little bit louder in my case too (well, as loud as KiIllzone if anything); but more frequent.

"Usually."

HAHHAHAAHAHHAAHAA!

But seriously, it updates whenever they feel like it. PS Store has a very bad stigma because of it. They "aim" for 2pm PST though. Could be later.
Hahaha. Yeah. Seeing how the NA Store still updates at "Grace Chen Time" is weird (and funny). Guess that's why they've been doing more sales and deals over the last months. Is like they go to work today at 9AM and start uploading the shit out of everything, instead of doing it days ahead and have everything ready at 5AM...like "others".

Top Bottom