• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Jobbs

Banned
Unsure if this was posted elsewhere, but Polygon updated their Tomb Raider review to talk about the definitive edition.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/25/4026668/tomb-raider-review

Notice that the XB1 and PS4 versions both got an identical score of 9.0.

Now, I don't care if someone likes Tomb Raider or hates Tomb Raider. You can give it a 6, or a 7, or a 10, I don't care, frankly, that's your opinion.

But it's not really a matter of opinion that one runs at 60 fps and the other runs at 30 fps. That should be reflected in the score. I don't know what you can call that other than bias.

My thoughts on Tomb Raider for Xbox One:

Preface:
I have never played this game prior to the Xbox one version. I have not read or watched any reviews. I did read throughthe framerate-gate threads.

I did't pre order and got the artbook edition at gamestop this past friday.

Tomb Raider is this (last?) generation's answer to Dragon's Lair. It's more of an interactive movie with shooting segments and an occasional puzzle - at first. Later on you're able to actually raid tombs which I thought was a very clever way to handle things.This isn't a bad thing. The story is solid and the atmosphere is great. I can honestly say it's one of the best looking videogames I've ever played.

TressFX - Is stupid and doesn't look natural. Antigravity hair was funny during the upside down segment at the beginning. It's never a huge distraction though.

FPS- Was fine. I never had a moment where I thought "Gee, this is stuttery". Everything was very smooth and I was able to easily track all action on the screen. I never felt like the framerate hampered the gameplay (or was noticeable at all) for that matter.

Maybe unique to the Xbox one version however is this band of pixelation/distortion around the edges of character models. Almost as if they're matted into the backgrounds. you wouldn't notice it unless you're looking for it...but it's there. swing the camera around and take a look. Again, not a huge deal at all.

If you've played Tomb Raider already there's probably not much reason to buy this at full price. Having never played it before I can honestly say that it was worth every penny.

My only complaint has to due with the lack of consistency between the story segments and the action segments. During the story segments Lara is remorseful about having to kill people and animals. Jump to the gameplay however and you're mowing down and eviscerating cute little bunnies all in the name of XP. No other reason. Just to level up.

Anyone still on the fence about buying the Xbox one version - Don't be. It's a great game and it looks terrific.

Hope that helps anyone on the fence.

noomi

For anyone waiting on Best Buy here is what they are saying...

"Hey Tomb Raiders,

At this time we have communicated to our stores that we should sell the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition games immediately when received. The date we were expecting to start receiving them in-stores was today, so you could start to see them hit Best Buy shelves today.

Thanks for your commitment to gaming with Best Buy.

Regards,"

Ya.... went in there today with a gift card and two reward point certificates ready to buy, and the lady at the counter tells me "no... Feb 8th...." I tried to explain it was a mistake but they weren't having it. Left with nothing, I'll try again tomorrow.... friggin best buy.... sometimes they suck...

Either way, thanks for sharing this with us.

thatJohann

Emotion in her face. At last!
3fTWfog.jpg

Oh and I love the beach level. Feels like AC Black Flag:
8dwmr6y.jpg

tomfusion

Neo Member
Loving the game so far on PS4, but there's one thing that's been bugging me. When I first launch the game, the Tomb Raider image comes up, but as it runs through the company logo screen etc, I get this weird glitching of the image, bits repeating with lines missing almost like if a video card was having issues. As soon as the menu comes up, everything is fine and never see hint of any problems again. Of course it could be 'art direction' but weird if that is the case.

Loving the game so far on PS4, but there's one thing that's been bugging me. When I first launch the game, the Tomb Raider image comes up, but as it runs through the company logo screen etc, I get this weird glitching of the image, bits repeating with lines missing almost like if a video card was having issues. As soon as the menu comes up, everything is fine and never see hint of any problems again. Of course it could be 'art direction' but weird if that is the case.

That's normal. Not a glitch.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's intended effect. Nobody knows why it's there but it's like that in every version of the game.

This is the photo IGN chose to post on Facebook in advertising their comparison, lol. I can't imagine any worse screenshot selection. Like seriously, who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

The most visible examples of the difference in textures for me are the tail of the crashed airplane and the rocks in the water in that comparison gif. Huge difference. Looks like the game is running at a lower resolution on the XB1 even though it's not

Edit: IGN used the worst example possible. Lol who looked at that pic and said "this is the one"?

So what's the verdict on worth if you've already played and finished it? Rent or purchase? I'm thinking rent, but I wonder if it's worth keeping as a piece of gaming history. I remember it being fun enough that I could see myself playing through it a couple of times this generation.

nOoblet16

The one complain I have regarding graphics is that the game seems to not have any object based motion blur, I mean come on even TR Underworld had that (although only on 360 and not on PC/PS3) and I understand them pulling it out on the 360/PS3 version of Tomb Raider but why there wasn't any in PC or the definitive version...I have no clue.

As for the game itself, well I still have the same opinion about it which is that the entire game is built around a grand total of one idea for set piece events that repeats from start to finish ie. anything Lara walks on or touches falls apart, it's amazing to see how they didn't notice every set piece in the game have either the ground collapsing or the ledge Lara's holding onto coming apart. And the usual complaints about how it's not Tomb Raider and that it is quite stupid with its discontinuity in cutscenes vs gameplay.

WinFonda

Unsure if this was posted elsewhere, but Polygon updated their Tomb Raider review to talk about the definitive edition.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/25/4026668/tomb-raider-review

Notice that the XB1 and PS4 versions both got an identical score of 9.0.

Now, I don't care if someone likes Tomb Raider or hates Tomb Raider. You can give it a 6, or a 7, or a 10, I don't care, frankly, that's your opinion.

But it's not really a matter of opinion that one runs at 60 fps and the other runs at 30 fps. That should be reflected in the score. I don't know what you can call that other than bias.

I think the bigger incongruency is, if they're willing recommend the PS4 version over the Xbox One version in their write up, why not reflect that in the score as well? The difference is large enough to be mentioned and detailed, and large enough to give recommendation over another version, but not enough to be reflected in the score? What kind of sense is that? As soon as the reviewer jotted down "I'd recommend the PS4 version over the XB1 version" that immediately should have crossed into the scoring threshold, as it did with their Ghost review. Because that's incredibly worthy, weighty text. If he personally felt the differences were not meaningful, then don't recommend one over the other in the end. It's that simple. As it is, their text is just as contradictory as their scores. "These things don't matter that much in a game like Tomb Raider, but uh... they kinda do, so we'll recommend the one that outperforms the other by a mile lest we look like idiots."

But by not having their recommendation reflected in the score, what they're saying then is that their score is more important than what they actually write. Because they choose to tell you Tomb Raider PS4 is their recommendation in text, but they also choose not to "show" you their recommendation in their score. Hmph. Maybe that's more than we wanted to know.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I traded in my unopened copy of Battlefield 4 PS4 to Amazon, and they are giving me $22 for it, and an additional $20 digital PSN credit. I think I'll use it to buy this digitally. I wasn't too keen on paying $60 for it, but there's nothing I currently want on PS4 at the moment, and I enjoyed this one enough to want to double dip for 20.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my Amazon credit to show up on my account. It probably won't be until this weekend, but that's ok. I can wait!

For those curious, the game maps L1, L3, R1, and R3 to the front touch pad. No fumbling with the back touch pad required when playing Remote Play.

Good times and thank God.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Anyone know the list of voice commands? On ps4 I've only figured out map and pause. They work pretty well but want to know what else does.

Never had kinect so this is my first exposure to this useless gimmick. It's silly but it works well. Might need the ps camera for ps4 owners to access it.

Vizzeh

Banned
I'm waiting for the PSN release but I heard its 16.6GB for install.

I downloaded mine on PSN and that size is accurate.

Just want to say WOW. the graphic fidelity and image quality is fantastic!! I completed this before on ps3, in the opening 10minutes, im stunned on how it looks. Cant wait to keep playing.

Anyone know the list of voice commands? On ps4 I've only figured out map and pause. They work pretty well but want to know what else does.

Never had kinect so this is my first exposure to this useless gimmick. It's silly but it works well. Might need the ps camera for ps4 owners to access it.

"Stealth" equips a stealth weapon. You don't need the camera, just a mike.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll be trying to score my copy tomorrow. And I'll have to stick to this thread as much as I can. The outright hostility in many topics here, towards this game is practically making me ashamed of loving it. Hopefully this topic, is at the very least mellow towards it.

B-Dex

Quick impressions from the first 15 mins. Game looks phenomenal and that silky smooth
almost
60fps is great. Lara's new face looks fine in the game and matches the cg. Everything else seems amped up in comparison to the last-gen version. The coastal forest is grittier and mossier. The resolution bump really makes it easy to notice a lot more fine details everywhere.

Krilekk

Banned
X1 impressions: Game is smooth, no frame drops so far two hours in. I always felt that the game looked average at best on previous consoles. Everything was a blurry mess. Now it's nothing short of stunning. Running around in the jungle is so much fun when you can actually tell things apart from each other. Hunting is awesome. It's second only to Ryse in the graphics department, really really nice.

Oh and that comparison screenshot between PC and consoles, showcasing higher resolution textures on a tree on PC? Total fake, X1 version has the exact same texture as PC on ultra settings.

There are no crushed blacks in my game, people need to get their settings right and turn RGB to limited.

bobot

Neo Member
Voice commands are broken.

"Show map" works
But I can't get either "remove top" or "flop out dem titties" to do anything

Ideas anyone?

X1 impressions: Game is smooth, no frame drops so far two hours in. I always felt that the game looked average at best on previous consoles. Everything was a blurry mess. Now it's nothing short of stunning. Running around in the jungle is so much fun when you can actually tell things apart from each other. Hunting is awesome. It's second only to Ryse in the graphics department, really really nice.

Oh and that comparison screenshot between PC and consoles, showcasing higher resolution textures on a tree on PC? Total fake, X1 version has the exact same texture as PC on ultra settings.

There are no crushed blacks in my game, people need to get their settings right and turn RGB to limited.

Must mean the PS4 version is better than PC on ultra. :p

Top Bottom