• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Hey i downloaded the game off psn and played a bit of single player but i try to play multiplayer and it says its installing.. So i quit the game and let it sit there for 20 mins and tried again.. Same thing.. Am i going to have to redownload?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Tomb Raider just got updated with a patch on the PS4, that was quick :)

BfGmpbtIAAAYajG.jpg:large

Wtf is with all these games having corrupted saves on these consoles. :|

Melchiah

It has been like that for years and the few manuals that do make it are getting less and less pages.

Though, mine not only came with a booklet..the packaging was the booklet. :p

Just pre-ordered mine, cost 56€ and comes with a digital comic and an art book.

Carnby

Well, it seems the (NA version) art book version was limited after all. Both Amazon (third party) and eBay have them on sale for significantly higher than MSRP.

Melchiah

Well, it seems the art book version was limited after all. Both Amazon (third party) and eBay have them on sale for significantly higher than MSRP.

Finnish Verkkokauppa still has them available for 56€, normal game price is 60-65€. Reserved mine a couple of hours ago.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game's kind of freakishly smooth on PS4, both the framerate and image quality which seems near-perfect. I'm used to near-slideshow framerates from my PC when there's any Lara super-hair closeup, but on PS4 it trucks on at 60 like it's nothing.

PBY

Banned
Games growing on me but mannnnnnnn I hate all these QTES. Just got to the snow area, it's very pretty on ps4

MilkBeard

Games growing on me but mannnnnnnn I hate all these QTES. Just got to the snow area, it's very pretty on ps4

When I first started I thought there would be a ton of QTEs because there are quite a few in the beginning, but it doesn't persist at that rate, thankfully.

Kaji

Not sure if already posted but street date broken in Australia finally, picked up my copy from EB just then. If you have any trouble their official Facebook has a post confirming

TyrantII

X1 impressions: Game is smooth, no frame drops so far two hours in. I always felt that the game looked average at best on previous consoles. Everything was a blurry mess. Now it's nothing short of stunning. Running around in the jungle is so much fun when you can actually tell things apart from each other. Hunting is awesome. It's second only to Ryse in the graphics department, really really nice.

Oh and that comparison screenshot between PC and consoles, showcasing higher resolution textures on a tree on PC? Total fake, X1 version has the exact same texture as PC on ultra settings.

There are no crushed blacks in my game, people need to get their settings right and turn RGB to limited.

Who was the first to post it? Seems like a bannable offense, no?

JohngPR

Up to right before the radio tower and have to say that I'm still having lots of fun despite having played it on PC when it first came out.

I picked this up on the PS4 and it looks, and runs great. What ever AA process they are using in the definitive version has to be different somehow compared to the PC version. FXAA on the PC version leaves the overall IQ blurrier compared to the PS4 version giving it a crisper image, at least IMO.

Nice to see that Nixxies went above and beyond as far as bringing over the game to current gen consoles. Hopefully other rereleases will be handled just as well, although I wish it was $39.99 or $49.99 MSRP. Hopefully the price doesn't send a message to publishers to set their prices just as high.

Put about 3 hours in tonight (PS4). This certainly looks better and runs smoother than what I played on PC over the summer, so I'm having a great time replaying it. It's been just enough time for me to forget enough about the game so it feels fresh. I still don't think my $59.99 was wisely spent, but hell who cares. Having fun!

PhatSaqs

Banned
What's the install size for the PS4 version.
17gb

Runs and looks great on both but PS4 obviously outshines it. X1 version seems to have a haze overlaying the screen. It's not as bright or sharp as the PS4 version and its definitely noticeable. Doesnt stop the X1 from being playable of course.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Do we know what sort of AA they're using?
PS4 and XB1 must be using different kinds of AA. Based on its destructiveness on textures, it looks like XB1 uses vanilla FXAA, and PS4 must be using something better because there's no such texture degradation on it, and some of the lines are resolved better.

Loving the close to 60 fps on PS4. Seems just below most of the time because when it does hit 60 it seems so obvious to me.
Also can't get enough of these 1080p games. Last gens resolutions did not fare too well on my 100" screen. Now everything looks absolutely stunning.

PBY

Banned
Loving the close to 60 fps on PS4. Seems just below most of the time because when it does hit 60 it seems so obvious to me.
Also can't get enough of these 1080p games. Last gens resolutions did not fare too well on my 100" screen. Now everything looks absolutely stunning.
It's so clean and sharp.

Went against my better judgement and picked this up and I'm so glad I did. Game looks gorgeous and was one of the best games of last year. I think this is the best PS4 game available currently.

17gb

Runs and looks great on both but PS4 obviously outshines it. X1 version seems to have a haze overlaying the screen. It's not as bright or sharp as the PS4 version and its definitely noticeable. Doesnt stop the X1 from being playable of course.

Have you personally played the XB1 version? I find the PS4 version VERY dark, but the XB1 version looks brighter in the screenshots. Does the XB1 version have the same low default gamma setting?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Have you personally played the XB1 version? I find the PS4 version VERY dark, but the XB1 version looks brighter in the screenshots. Does the XB1 version have the same low default gamma setting?
Yes. I dont comment deeply on shit I havent played. Not sure about the defaults but I set both of the brightness to 42. Actually set the X1 a little higher after doing some comparisons and it still seems darker.

nib95

Banned
17gb

Can you comment on whether you think that's because of the Xbox Ones application of FXAA or whether it looks like it's running upscaled to 1080p instead of native?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Have you personally played the XB1 version? I find the PS4 version VERY dark, but the XB1 version looks brighter in the screenshots.
Keep in mind that a lot of the screens posted here are from an older Gamersyde video that was captured from XB1 version set to a much higher gamma than the PS4 version. I think screens with the same gamma setting look about the same on both in terms of darkness. I'm playing PS4 version on a plasma TV, and I don't think there's any black crush going on at default gamma for what it's worth.

Can you comment on whether you think that's because of the Xbox Ones application of FXAA or whether it looks like it's running upscaled to 1080p instead of native?
I'm almost 100% positive the XB1 version does run 1080p natively, but it has FXAA or similar that makes the image look 'hazy' as typical for that kind of AA. Some of the screens posted in the other thread make that pretty obvious.

I wonder when/if Amazon will put up a digital download code for this? Kinda hoping for them to undercut the PS store but I'm guessing that's wishful thinking :p

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just picked this up and I'm only to the end of Shantytown, but here's a dark and bloody shot that's not so terrible from Share.

iGDLR9QohFBn2.jpg

And here's the absolute worst-quality shot I was able to get anywhere. (and I've taken several hundred across every scene so far) It's actually pretty awful to the left of her eyes.

imFM675EtUOao.jpg

But this is a typical quality Share shot...

ibecdw8m3t5wIj.jpg

Replicant

I just picked this up and I'm only to the end of Shantytown, but here's a dark and bloody shot that's not so terrible from Share.

iGDLR9QohFBn2.jpg

And here's the absolute worst-quality shot I was able to get anywhere. (and I've taken several hundred across every scene so far) It's actually pretty awful to the left of her eyes.

imFM675EtUOao.jpg

But this is a typical quality Share shot...

ibecdw8m3t5wIj.jpg

Damnit. They look really good. I can feel douple-dipping incoming soon. *sigh*

Huggers

All these positive PS4 impressions. I'm going to be forced to buy this. I picked up Black Flag like 2 days ago and barely have time to play that but I need a new Tomb Raider in my life

Top Bottom