• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Trojan X

Banned
wow at £55,I was thinking something more like £39,99 .

I'm sorry, someone must be pretty silly to buy the game at £55 when they should know all too well that it will be MUCH cheaper at retail. Go to Tesco, order off Play.com, go elsewhere but don't be a fool that has money for you will easily part company from it.

1517509_580313775379240_308793485_n.jpg

1551594_580313675379250_343528686_n.jpg

1779694_580313645379253_202520059_n.jpg

Moofers

A couple I took this morning from my PS4:

BfJrJJCCMAE-Td-.jpg:large

BfJrRw-CUAAMPSs.jpg:large

It was a pretty dark section, and I was trying to capture the flashes of lightning, but just didn't have the timing down for it.

I played for about an hour and a half last night. The game looks incredible. I forgot how much I hated the QTE-instant-death parts, as well as the puzzling story choices (Lara gets impaled on rebar, it magically heals with no tending or bandaging, nobody in her group asks what happened to her, etc) but you know what? Now that I'm off exploring the island, I'm having a great time and the game is beautiful! I was hoping it might outpace Killzone: Shadow Fall, but I don't think its quite there. It looks great in different ways though. Little particle effects around fires, the lightning, the rustling trees, etc. And let's not forget the star of the show, Lara herself. She looks amazing. I really like the overhaul they gave her. It says "an obsessively detailed Lara" on the back of the box and I think that's actually a pretty fair statement. She looks fantastic!

Anyway, I'm really glad to have this and can't wait to sit back down with it tonight. :)

Pro

Picked mine up yesterday (didn't realize the street date got dropped). I originally played this on PC with the downsampled resolutions and max settings. I must say this looks every bit as good and plays smoother than what I first experienced. I also got a new TV so that could be why it looks so good to me as well. Now I have a dilemma on whether to get Witcher 3 on PC or PS4...

Varg

Banned
Is multiplayer still ass though? Had the pc version and loved it , but would gladly do u Le dip if they fixed it

The game looks gorgeous, and never seems to dip below 60 at all. It's almost distracting at times it's so pretty.

I having some issues with the controller audio though. Anything that comes out of the controller speaker is also coming out of the TV, so there's an echo effect and it's irritating.

Why can't those sounds just come out of the controller? I checked my controller audio settings too and they're fine, and I'm not using headphones. Anyone else experiencing this?

jaaz

The game looks gorgeous, and never seems to dip below 60 at all. It's almost distracting at times it's so pretty.

I having some issues with the controller audio though. Anything that comes out of the controller speaker is also coming out of the TV, so there's an echo effect and it's irritating.

Why can't those sounds just come out of the controller? I checked my controller audio settings too and they're fine, and I'm not using headphones. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yep, experiencing the same thing, when I picked up and read logs left behind by Sam. I was wondering whether it had to do with lag on my main speakers, perhaps not...

Pro

I turned my controller audio off. It's not necessary. I agree though. If there was going to be controller specific audio, it should have been separate from what comes out of the TV. Some TV's need to be put on a specific game mode setting so the lag between controller and TV is a lot less. That might be able to minimize it somewhat for you. Mine still echoed though.

jaaz

Picked mine up yesterday (didn't realize the street date got dropped). I originally played this on PC with the downsampled resolutions and max settings. I must say this looks every bit as good and plays smoother than what I first experienced. I also got a new TV so that could be why it looks so good to me as well. Now I have a dilemma on whether to get Witcher 3 on PC or PS4...

I am in the same boat. I frankly can not see myself buying a game for my PC if there is a PS4 version and it looks like this. 70" vs. 28" display, full surround sound, and a couch makes a huge difference for me. When I was playing it on PS4 yesterday I kept thinking finally--finally!--I can get PC comparable graphics on a console... Can't wait for Diablo III...

So I'm guessing you guys know this definitive edition has toned down the violence and gore. I just heard about this, weird way of censoring without letting anyone know. Not a big deal, just unexpected. The game still maintains its exploitation film feel.

lara_censor.jpg

Hardcore Gamer - Lara too Pretty to Bleed? Violence Toned Down In “Definitive” Tomb Raider

Gamersyde (with footage) - More surprising is the fact that some scenes have been censored, among which the passage where Lara finds herself literally bathing in a pool of blood. It seems that the amount of blood has been toned down overall, which is odd considering that you still encounter corpses whose limbs have been cut off, and Lara still savagely stealth kills her enemies. The game is still 18+ so we can wonder why such a decision was made, why the team behind the port didn't respect the artistic direction of the original game. It's not that it makes a huge difference in the end, but it could come as a surprise for those who completed the game last year and would be willing to try this not so definitive after all edition.

Videogamer - they think it might be because of the face remodelling

Pro

I am in the same boat. I frankly can not see myself buying a game for my PC if there is a PS4 version and it looks like this. 70" vs. 28" display, full surround sound, and a couch makes a huge difference for me. When I was playing it on PS4 yesterday I kept thinking finally--finally--I can get PC comparable graphics on a console... Can't wait for Diablo III...

Dude I just got a 70" myself and it's nuts! Plus the surround sound, yeah agree. The big screen makes a big difference.

So I'm guessing you guys know this definitive edition has toned down the violence and gore. I just heard about this, weird way of censoring without letting anyone know. Not a big deal, just unexpected. The game still maintains its exploitation film feel.

lara_censor.jpg

Hardcore Gamer - Lara too Pretty to Bleed? Violence Toned Down In “Definitive” Tomb Raider

Gamersyde (with footage) - More surprising is the fact that some scenes have been censored, among which the passage where Lara finds herself literally bathing in a pool of blood. It seems that the amount of blood has been toned down overall, which is odd considering that you still encounter corpses whose limbs have been cut off, and Lara still savagely stealth kills her enemies. The game is still 18+ so we can wonder why such a decision was made, why the team behind the port didn't respect the artistic direction of the original game. It's not that it makes a huge difference in the end, but it could come as a surprise for those who completed the game last year and would be willing to try this not so definitive after all edition.

Yeah we heard. But the weird thing is that there are also some really bloody screens...
So it doesn't really hold up it seems.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You mean they majorly overhauled the character blood and dirt for the whole game and it looks different?
You don't say.

Yeah we heard. But the weird thing is that there are also some really bloody screens...
So it doesn't really hold up it seems.

Yeah, the first time she shoots a guy it's pretty brutal. Head asplode.
On a related note, this is just about the tamest death scene, but it's my favorite so far.
iujDMM6mDWVUc.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Dude I just got a 70" myself and it's nuts! Plus the surround sound, yeah agree. The big screen makes a big difference.
There is a BIG difference with High resolution on a large screen vs high resolution on a small screen
My monitor is higher then my 1080p and although it look fantastic on there its a OMG moment wheb its thrown on my HDTV, the details jump out at you
I don't think anything under 38 inc is worthy of a 1080p source, yeah it looks better then a lower resolution but it not the same as when it's on a big screen, 4k on a tiny screen like 30inc is a joke
You're not getting the picture that resolution is producing.

MilkBeard

lara_censor.jpg

Gamersyde (with footage) - The game is still 18+ so we can wonder why such a decision was made, why the team behind the port didn't respect the artistic direction of the original game. It's not that it makes a huge difference in the end, but it could come as a surprise for those who completed the game last year and would be willing to try this not so definitive after all edition.

I think that's a tad...hyperbolic. It seems the new face modeling and texture work might be a good logical explanation for the gore reduction. The game already came out on consoles so I'm assuming they weren't worried about how it was going to be perceived. I think it's hilarious the way they describe it. 'artistic vision,' ha ha. The original designers were probably well aware of the changes that were made.

There is a BIG difference with High resolution on a large screen vs high resolution on a small screen
My monitor is higher then my 1080p and although it look fantastic on there its a OMG moment wheb its thrown on my HDTV, the details jump out at you
I don't think anything under 38 inc is worthy of a 1080p source, yeah it looks better then a lower resolution but it not the same as when it's on a big screen, 4k on a tiny screen like 30inc is a joke
You're not getting the picture that resolution is producing.

yes. and not to be a showoff, but playing on a HD projector on a 100 - 140 inch screen will make everything more immersive. Movies, Games, Series, and even watching your holiday photos. Nowadays you can get a good one for the price of an entry level Panasonic plasma. Sure, Plasma has better colours and black values, but you get a lot of extra immersion in return. I'd reccommend it to everyone. And i have a Panasonic Plasma, but i mostly choose to play and watch on the HD projector. Especially this new gen. Because on PS3 and 360, it also makes the imperfections more aparent, like jaggies. But now games are cleaner and cleaner. Killzone Shadowfall looks amazing on such a big screen. You can see more of the insane amount of detail they put into a game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm having issues with the PS4 DD version of the game. Glitchy as hell everywhere... frame stuttering, audio cutting out. There was clearly something wrong, so I turned it off last night and went to bed.

This morning, game won't even load. It will load the main menu, but when you try to load up a save, it just gets stuck loading.

So I deleted it and I'm redownloading. Pretty annoying, but what are you gonna do?

foxbeldin

I'm having issues with the PS4 DD version of the game. Glitchy as hell everywhere... frame stuttering, audio cutting out. There was clearly something wrong, so I turned it off last night and went to bed.

This morning, game won't even load. It will load the main menu, but when you try to load up a save, it just gets stuck loading.

So I deleted it and I'm redownloading. Pretty annoying, but what are you gonna do?

Let's hope it will fix it. Have you tested another game since then?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
yes. and not to be a showoff, but playing on a HD projector on a 100 - 140 inch screen will make everything more immersive. Movies, Games, Series, and even watching your holiday photos.Nowadays you can get a good one for the price of a plasma. Sure, Plasma has better colours and black values, but you get a lot of extra immersion in return. I'd reccommend it to everyone. And i have a Panasonic Plasma, but i mostly choose to play and watch on the HD projector. Especially this new gen. Because on PS3 and 360, it also makes the imperfections more aparent, like jaggies. But now games are cleaner and cleaner. Killzone Shadowfall looks amazing on such a big screen. You can see more of the insane amount of detail they put into a game.

The popular budget 1080p projectors also have less input lag than plasma.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Let's hope it will fix it. Have you tested another game since then?

No... I've actually been having issues with DD games on PS4. Battlefield and Assassin's Creed have both been such a headache. I've had to redownload both of those games multiple times to fix issues where it suddenly won't load a level or mission.

But then every other DD game is fine... Warframe, Resogun, etc... never a problem.

Right now I have TR DLing in the store, but I don't think it works quite the same way as it did on PS3. On PS3 that used to be "safe" mode for big DL to avoid corrupted data (which happened to me only twice all gen) but I honestly have no idea what's going on with DD on PS4. It's been pretty annoying. I hate discs, or I wouldn't put up with it.

foxbeldin

No... I've actually been having issues with DD games on PS4. Battlefield and Assassin's Creed have both been such a headache. I've had to redownload both of those games multiple times to fix issues where it suddenly won't load a level or mission.

But then every other DD game is fine... Warframe, Resogun, etc... never a problem.

Right now I have TR DLing in the store, but I don't think it works quite the same way as it did on PS3. On PS3 that used to be "safe" mode for big DL to avoid corrupted data (which happened to me only twice all gen) but I honestly have no idea what's going on with DD on PS4. It's been pretty annoying. I hate discs, or I wouldn't put up with it.

Sounds like you're downloading a lot of corrupted data, or your HDD is dying maybe...

R_Deckard

Latest news is the X1 TR does run a Variable Framebuffer which I and some others were saying yesterday. So rez is not full 1080 all the time but in cutscenes drops to 900p.

DF here

Tomb Raider just got updated with a patch on the PS4, that was quick :)

BfGmpbtIAAAYajG.jpg:large

Corrupted savedata? Holy fuck, not again!

Didn't they say they worked on this for over a year? What's with devs this gen that have forgotten how to save their goddamn games, and keep the game saved (anyone can just save the game, holding onto the saved game is the important part...)

Hopefully by the time the game hits $20 it'll be completely fixed.

besada

Banned
Picked this up for my PS4 digitally (still digital only for me) and it's gorgeous. The hair, the foliage, the birdies!

I only got a chance to play through the opening scenes, up until she can shoot some deer, but I just kept stopping and staring at how pretty it all was. Even when Lara is getting her head crushed by a big rock.

BFIB

Man, I really want this, but none of my stores have it in stock. I'd go digital, but I have a few Xmas gift cards (one for wal-mart, one or Target) to use.

TyrantII

lara_censor.jpg

Are we sure its "censoring".

Don't forget the model is completely rebuilt and retextured. It also has new tech like drip maps and sub surface scattering.

Combined, maybe the old work just didn't work.

The blood pool is also noticbly tamer, but it does look more realistic coming out of a grimey water-blood pool. Less like ketchup, more like diluted liquidy grime.

Pro

Picked this up for my PS4 digitally (still digital only for me) and it's gorgeous. The hair, the foliage, the birdies!

I only got a chance to play through the opening scenes, up until she can shoot some deer, but I just kept stopping and staring at how pretty it all was. Even when Lara is getting her head crushed by a big rock.

Since this is my second play through I feel like I'm running through it too quickly at times. You really need to slow down and just take in the environments a lot. Oh by the way, I was wondering if the DD would play/load any faster than off the disc. Would it be worth it to install on the HDD?

Some types of plasma have been known to have phosphor trails, that can take away from gaming, I have a pioneer kuro and never experienced that problem, but it is out there.

Yes, but that's not what people generally mean with inputlag. I know hat you mean though. My first plasma had this with panning in high contrast environments. green lines next to where dark and light meet. Weird to the eye.

MilkBeard

Since this is my second play through I feel like I'm running through it too quickly at times. You really need to slow down and just take in the environments a lot. Oh by the way, I was wondering if the DD would play/load any faster than off the disc. Would it be worth it to install on the HDD?

Game auto installs from disc, so probably no difference from disc to digital.

In fact, all PS4/X1 games are mandatory full install.

Pro

Game auto installs from disc, so probably no difference from disc to digital.

In fact, all PS4/X1 games are mandatory full install.

TY, did not know that and just read up on it. Sounds like it installs in the background while you are playing. Wonder if I'll eventually fill up the 500GB HDD.

molnizzle

Played for a couple hours now on PS4.

Honestly? I really wish I could lock the frame rate to 30. I'd obviously rather have variable fps above 30 rather than variable fps below 30, but nothing beats a consistent, locked frame rate. The judder really is noticeable and the fps fluctuations occur far more frequently than I was expecting. How difficult would it be for devs to just add an optional display toggle to limit the frame rate to 30? BioShock had that...

Man

Impressions from initial 15mins on PS4:

- Smooth running.
- Lara hanging upside down with hair defying gravity.
- Animation not-up-to-par with any Uncharted.
- Tight corridors and scripted events.
- QTE garbage.
- Voice commands gimmick.
- Map looking good. Plenty of exploration it seems.

Yeah, the game hasn't really begun yet.

DieH@rd

Banned
Impressions from initial 15mins on PS4:

- Smooth running.
- Lara hanging upside down with hair defying gravity.
- Animation not-up-to-par with any Uncharted.
- Tight corridors and scripted events.
- QTE garbage.
- Voice commands gimmick.
- Map looking good. Plenty of exploration it seems.

Yeah, the game hasn't really begun yet.

Yup, game stops with the tutorial crap after wolf lair. After that it opens up a lot.

jaaz

Played for a couple hours now on PS4.

Honestly? I really wish I could lock the frame rate to 30. I'd obviously rather have variable fps above 30 rather than variable fps below 30, but nothing beats a consistent, locked frame rate. The judder really is noticeable and the fps fluctuations occur far more frequently than I was expecting. How difficult would it be for devs to just add an optional display toggle to limit the frame rate to 30? BioShock had that...

We must be playing different games...

Told myself I wouldn't buy this after playing it day one on the PC. Too much praise for the PS4 so I crumbled and gave in.

Made it slightly easier to double dip buying it cheaper from my US PSN account :p

Top Bottom