• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Lima

Having a good time so far with it on X1. Looks much improved. If I remember correctly the 360 version was the worst last gen too and I still liked it very much. Would have picked up the PS4 version if I could deal with that pad.

jaaz

Some shots from the PS4 version:

First, a cool shot:

1090905_662500740458992_789575217_o.jpg

Stop it GAF, you:

1795934_662500890458977_1138716711_o.jpg

To everybody tired of the QTEs (including myself I almost quit because of 1) they lessen the deeper u get into the game.

Now my story... It was either this or lightning returns for me. Had Xmas gift cards still to use and I told myself I was gonna wait for the price drop. I don't wanna reward a re-release. Then I thought, y isn't lightning returns on ps4? I don't wanna reward final fantasy... In the end I used $60 psn credit and went digital. I rarely buy digital for the 1st playthrough cause if the game sucks I'm stuck. But I already played it previously and knew I liked it enough to want to own permanently. Plus it wouldn't graphically age no time soon so it seemed like a better investment. But now that I read the ending spoilers to lightning returns I'll be dodging that bullet all together.

Nuke Soda

Doing an attempt at an ironman run, still alive so far so I must be doing something right. Those QTEs don't help though.

On a different note beat the game, completed 80% or so and then my save file corrupted and now I try to look at the pictures I captured during gameplay and the freak out and give me an error.

Moofers

Does anyone know if the ps4 will download and install the TR update automatically? I played last night and want to play again tonight but I'm a bit worried about a corrupted save rearing it's ugly head.

It's in standby while I'm at work...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This might sound silly (and yes I have played TR before) but did the old version have mud?
I know you got dirty but think mud I don't remember.

Pro

This might sound silly (and yes I have played TR before) but did the old version have mud?

There's an extra costume that puts a thick layer of mud on you in your Gear option.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Impressions from initial 15mins on PS4:

- Smooth running.
- Lara hanging upside down with hair defying gravity.
- Animation not-up-to-par with any Uncharted.
- Tight corridors and scripted events.
- QTE garbage.
- Voice commands gimmick.
- Map looking good. Plenty of exploration it seems.

Yeah, the game hasn't really begun yet.

If you checked your settings you can turn off the "gimmicks" voice, sound through controller, motion

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This game looks incredible. Damn, it's a much bigger graphical upgrade than any of the other port-ups so far. Haven't gotten too far yet, but it's still the same outstanding RE4-2 experience I had on 360. Much love.

Nuke Soda

She got covered in mud and grime in the 360 version, not sure if I remember all that much mud though.

This game looks incredible. Damn, it's a much bigger graphical upgrade than any of the other port-ups so far. Haven't gotten too far yet, but it's still the same outstanding RE4-2 experience I had on 360. Much love.

First person I've seen that states it felt like a RE4 experience like myself. I've always felt the same way even though most would call me crazy! :p

Surfheart

Having played it on ps4 now I think I would have preferred a 30 fps cap. It just doesn't stick to 60 all that often and the judder and control response changes when it drops is jarring.

Soi-Fong

So digital or physical? PS4 btw.

I wanna play something other than NBA 2k14 and I loved this on PC and that was me playing 20-25 fps on ultra settings. Lol

Respawn

Banned
Having a good time so far with it on X1. Looks much improved. If I remember correctly the 360 version was the worst last gen too and I still liked it very much. Would have picked up the PS4 version if I could deal with that pad.
So you have a PS4. Don't like the pad and bought the worst version of the bunch. Yup makes sense to me.

Lima

So you have a PS4. Don't like the pad and bought the worst version of the bunch. Yup makes sense to me.

Just because I feel like it while waiting for a Hearthstone opponent.

Yes I chose the X1 version because of the gamepad. I have to hold it in my hands all the time while playing duh.

And now back to your regular program.

Just because I feel like it while waiting for a Hearthstone opponent.

Yes I chose the X1 version because of the gamepad. I have to hold it in my hands all the time while playing duh.

And now back to your regular program.
How is someone not able to adjust to a gamepad. I never had any real problem with any gamepad.
I'd say the 360 controller was the better controller last gen, but the DS4 is one of the best controllers i've ever held.it's just a couple of hours of playtime and you're used to it. It's what we do, we adapt.
Ofcourse you are free to buy any version you want, don't get me wrong. I just don't understand the argument much.

Dead

well not really...yet
Good god these graphics!

CD should have taken advantage of this release by including a survival mode or something. No regenerating health, animals, plants and rations get you health instead of just salvage. Was obviously the original intention anyways...

Nuke Soda

Well I was challenging myself with an ironman run through the game, got 27% and the floor gave out below me with no warning and no way to save myself, damn. True to the spirit of ironman mode I deleted the save.

Played for a couple hours now on PS4.

Honestly? I really wish I could lock the frame rate to 30. I'd obviously rather have variable fps above 30 rather than variable fps below 30, but nothing beats a consistent, locked frame rate. The judder really is noticeable and the fps fluctuations occur far more frequently than I was expecting. How difficult would it be for devs to just add an optional display toggle to limit the frame rate to 30? BioShock had that...

pretty sensitive to judder and wavering framerates but it does not bother me at all here cause the frame stays relatively high for long portions of time.
cant say the same for KZ Shadow Fall

Played for a couple hours now on PS4.

Honestly? I really wish I could lock the frame rate to 30. I'd obviously rather have variable fps above 30 rather than variable fps below 30, but nothing beats a consistent, locked frame rate. The judder really is noticeable and the fps fluctuations occur far more frequently than I was expecting. How difficult would it be for devs to just add an optional display toggle to limit the frame rate to 30? BioShock had that...

I couldnt agree more, the framerate is nowhere near consistent enough, it should have been locked at 30 because the constant fps fluctuations are driving me fucking insane.

I couldnt agree more, the framerate is nowhere near consistent enough, it should have been locked at 30 because the constant fps fluctuations are driving me fucking insane.

Agreed. When the framerate jumps back up to 60fps after a sustained 40-45fps, it almost looks too fast. At times, I actually prefer the capped 30fps of remote play with this game.

Tux

So digital or physical? PS4 btw.

I wanna play something other than NBA 2k14 and I loved this on PC and that was me playing 20-25 fps on ultra settings. Lol

Depends on if you prefer the library following your account (digital). Or if you want to sell the game later (physical).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Although i have no real problem with lag on my HD projector, how is it you think they have less lag than a plasma?

Because they do.
And I don't know where the idea that plasmas have no lag came from, but it's widespread.
I brought my copy of The Pinball Arcade over to my sisters's boyfriend's house and played it on his PS4 on his Samsung plasma and the lag was horrendous. It felt about as bad as my old Samsung LCD with motion flow turned on. I asked him if he had game mode turned on for that input and he told me flat out that plasmas don't have any lag. One of the models on that link someone posted has up to 100ms of lag in game mode anyway.

Because they do.
And I don't know where the idea that plasmas have no lag came from, but it's widespread.
I brought my copy of The Pinball Arcade over to my sisters's boyfriend's house and played it on his PS4 on his Samsung plasma and the lag was horrendous. It felt about as bad as my old Samsung LCD with motion flow turned on. I asked him if he had game mode turned on for that input and he told me flat out that plasmas don't have any lag. One of the models on that link someone posted has up to 100ms of lag in game mode anyway.
Okay, i thought plasmas were way better in that respect than LCD screens. At least that's what i keep hearing.

Anyway, i'm happy to say that my Panasonic plasma and Panasonic projector don't seem to have a noticeable lag.

And again, for immersion. Go projector. It's awesome.

Rainy Dog

For those that have played this at highish settings on the PC and have also double dipped on the PS4, would you say it’s absolutely worth it? I picked it up cheap on Steam but haven’t played it yet.

Would certainly prefer to play with my DS4 (wirelessly) and earn a few trophies while I’m at it, but the 40 quid question is, well… Is it worth the extra 40 quid?

Bollocks

I just picked this up and I'm only to the end of Shantytown, but here's a dark and bloody shot that's not so terrible from Share.

iGDLR9QohFBn2.jpg

And here's the absolute worst-quality shot I was able to get anywhere. (and I've taken several hundred across every scene so far) It's actually pretty awful to the left of her eyes.

imFM675EtUOao.jpg

But this is a typical quality Share shot...

ibecdw8m3t5wIj.jpg

wow those look really good
must resist not double dip aaahh....

Going to rent this on PS4 in hope to avoid this....

When I played it on my PC when using the controller. It wasn't registering my button presses for a QTE. Turned out I was pressing too fast.

Is this because the game designed it like that. Or because I was using a wireless adapter and fudged up?

Made me quit in a huff to be honest and not picked it up since

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
For those that have played this at highish settings on the PC and have also double dipped on the PS4, would you say it’s absolutely worth it? I picked it up cheap on Steam but haven’t played it yet.

Would certainly prefer to play with my DS4 (wirelessly) and earn a few trophies while I’m at it, but the 40 quid question is, well… Is it worth the extra 40 quid?

It really does look nice. The new face looks awesome 90 percent of the time and pure deep at others. When running at 60 it's glorious. The swaying vegetation and improved lighting looks awesome. The frame drops are pretty awful to me at times. I'm very sensitive to drops from 60 tho so maybe most won't mind. It's so nice to see 60 tho. Overall I'm happy I got it but I don't think I would keep it after I've run through it once.

Rainy Dog

It really does look nice. The new face looks awesome 90 percent of the time and pure deep at others. When running at 60 it's glorious. The swaying vegetation and improved lighting looks awesome. The frame drops are pretty awful to me at times. I'm very sensitive to drops from 60 tho so maybe most won't mind. It's so nice to see 60 tho. Overall I'm happy I got it but I don't think I would keep it after I've run through it once.

Thanks. Hmm, I think I'll resist for now and keep away from this thread. Just started AC4 so that'll keep me busy for a few weeks anyway. I do fancy playing this over the PC version though, so will pick it up when it's a bit cheaper.

Spades

Completed the game on Xbox One with 92% on the weekend. Will go back to finish off the challenges I missed now. This is the second time I've completed it, the first being on 360, and I was pleasantly surprised that despite playing through the game before, the experience was just as enjoyable this time around.

A truly great game and hopefully an equally good sequel will come next.

Parakeetman

Beat the game on the PS4 and though it was fantastic. Only played some of the PS3 version, but man this was worth the price of entry as one who got to play through it fully for the first time. Am quite happy with the purchase overall.

Only downside that I dont like is the fact it seems some trophies are MP specific. I hate shit like that. :/

Newlove

Have to wait until tomorrow in the UK to get it on PS4. Can't wait. Played it on 360 already but I'm trading a bunch of old games in so I'm not paying anything.

Only downside that I dont like is the fact it seems some trophies are MP specific. I hate shit like that. :/

As long as they aren't luck based like some Halo achievements then I'd be okay with it...

Number45

Have to wait until tomorrow in the UK to get it on PS4. Can't wait. Played it on 360 already but I'm trading a bunch of old games in so I'm not paying anything.
Picking it up in the morning with credit from trading in NFS (only way I can bring myself to pay full retail price). Went under my Vita focused radar last year, so I'm completely fresh.

Parakeetman

As long as they aren't luck based like some Halo achievements then I'd be okay with it...

Problem with shit like that is once the lifespan of the game goes on less people play MP = less chances to get trophies. As we all know not everyone buys the game at launch. Hell most of the times its not like a lot of these online communities for non major MP titles last that long either.

Wonder if the Trophy system can handle "dual requirements" where it can be one or the other achieved to unlock said trophy. That way someone can play MP to unlock or SP.

Or perhaps the devs just from the start can stop putting in trophies with the MP portion of the game. If you think your MP part of the game needs trophies to lure folks to play, perhaps you shouldnt have put in MP in the first place.

Top Bottom