• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

eshwaaz

Beat the game originally on 360; now playing through again on PS4.

Very impressed by the overall image quality and framerate, though the shimmery, low fidelity shadows on Lara are disappointing. The added environmental effects are more noticeable than I thought they'd be, and really do make the world seem more alive.

I'm mixed on Lara's face. It's very nicely modeled, but I still find it less expressive than the original face.

I still think Tress FX needs more work before it's ready for prime time. Her hair is constantly clipping through Lara's shoulders, bow and quiver, it twitches around even when it should be still, and is largely unaffected by gravity. I find it far more of a distraction than an appealing effect.

I still think it's a great game. Sequel desperately needs more tombs/better tombs, though.

thelastword

Banned
Problem with shit like that is once the lifespan of the game goes on less people play MP = less chances to get trophies. As we all know not everyone buys the game at launch. Hell most of the times its not like a lot of these online communities for non major MP titles last that long either.

Wonder if the Trophy system can handle "dual requirements" where it can be one or the other achieved to unlock said trophy. That way someone can play MP to unlock or SP.

Or perhaps the devs just from the start can stop putting in trophies with the MP portion of the game. If you think your MP part of the game needs trophies to lure folks to play, perhaps you shouldnt have put in MP in the first place.
I think mp trophies should not exist in singleplayer games, they can surely have a set of in game perks, accolades and rewards for mp progression but non-trophy related.

Guess what, COD4 didn't have any online achievements in my recollection, yet it was the most popular online shooter by a huge margin last gen. It seems like some of these devs believe that putting a tonne of mp trophies will make people play the mp for a long period of time, nope, make a good mp and people will play. Doing nonsense like what the devs did with resistance 2 (10000 kills) or Crysis 2's (come back one year or half a year later) in mp are all ridiculous trophies imo. Usually the games with the most ridiculous mp trophies are those dead in the water the same week of release, crazy unnhh.

Cudder

I'm a bit disappointed that all of the tomb's that can be raided are nothing more than a quick puzzle to solve. I expected much longer tomb's, something along the lines of the dungeons in Oblivion/Skyrim. This is my first Tomb Raider game so I have no idea if it was always like this.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm a bit disappointed that all of the tomb's that can be raided are nothing more than a quick puzzle to solve. I expected much longer tomb's, something along the lines of the dungeons in Oblivion/Skyrim. This is my first Tomb Raider game so I have no idea if it was always like this.
Nah, the original was set up with a 3 levels per area, the 3rd would be the Tomb or sometimes level 2-3 was the Tomb, later on in the series they became one level that was massive, Tomb's in TR2013 was like 5% the size of the previous Tombs in Tomb Raider, but tbf this TR isn't actually about Tomb Raiding as such, its not the place or time for that kinda Raiding think of it as the Batman Begins of Tomb Raider, this is defines Lara and hopefully TR2 will be The Dark Knight
just got my copy....Wow, thats one nice looking game.
^^
I think they would have announced a big update, don't you?

pa22word

Is there anyway I can disable audio that plays over the DS4 audio? It's kind of annoying when you pick up an audio log and it plays simultaneously through the DS4 and my speakers >.>

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is there anyway I can disable audio that plays over the DS4 audio? It's kind of annoying when you pick up an audio log and it plays simultaneously through the DS4 and my speakers >.>
Yes go to the sound options, I did it because its out of sync with my AV

pa22word

What's really disappointing is that the reward for raiding them is the same generic Zelda chest open animation with exp dumps everytime T_T

Why couldn't we get the cool little trinkets we pick up on the overworld where Lara talks about them and you can rotate them to find new information? You know, actually give us something tangible as a reward for completing these things rather than some lame cookie cutter animation.

Yes go to the sound options, I did it because its out of sync with my AV

Does it disable the DS4 audio or the main audio feed? Because I want the DS4 feed as I actually like the idea of how it works. Adds a cool asynchronous effect to the main game that really enhances the experience if used correctly.

Jezehbell

downloading

edit. WTF. my game is indeed in French now. They removed English from my language list.
FR Lara sounds kinda sexy though. Epic troll!

The french voice of Lara :p

138.a.hf_.-c-StephenSherman.jpg

Tux

downloading

edit. WTF. my game is indeed in French now. They removed English from my language list.
FR Lara sounds kinda sexy though. Epic troll!

No way! :D I can see them moving the English list to the top or bottom. But not removing it. No way are they trolling? :D

Really? Please say you are joking.

I think mp trophies should not exist in singleplayer games, they can surely have a set of in game perks, accolades and rewards for mp progression but non-trophy related.

Guess what, COD4 didn't have any online achievements in my recollection, yet it was the most popular online shooter by a huge margin last gen. It seems like some of these devs believe that putting a tonne of mp trophies will make people play the mp for a long period of time, nope, make a good mp and people will play. Doing nonsense like what the devs did with resistance 2 (10000 kills) or Crysis 2's (come back one year or half a year later) in mp are all ridiculous trophies imo. Usually the games with the most ridiculous mp trophies are those dead in the water the same week of release, crazy unnhh.

I completely agree. Granted I haven't tried Tomb Raider's MP, but I haven't heard good things...

My copy for PS4 arrived today in the mail. Going to start it tonight. How busy has the multiplayer been so far? I heard on PS3 it died down really quick, so I'm thinking I might start off with the multiplayer first while there are still a lot of players.

Nuke Soda

My copy for PS4 arrived today in the mail. Going to start it tonight. How busy has the multiplayer been so far? I heard on PS3 it died down really quick, so I'm thinking I might start off with the multiplayer first while there are still a lot of players.

Got in a game pretty easy last night, it sucked but that beside the point.

Ricker

Love the SP. But the MP looks Iike utter shit. Washed out, empty rooms, etc.

Just get it for SP.

There was multiplayer in this...? lol.

They could of added a few full blown Tombs instead of wasting time in multi that people played for 2 weeks...oh well ;)

DieH@rd

Banned
There was multiplayer in this...? lol.

They could of added a few full blown Tombs instead of wasting time in multi that people played for 2 weeks...oh well ;)

And even worse, Deus Ex Human Revolution team was tasked to create that horrid MP.

So much wasted time for nothing.

Rafterman

Banned
For those that have played this at highish settings on the PC and have also double dipped on the PS4, would you say it’s absolutely worth it? I picked it up cheap on Steam but haven’t played it yet.

Would certainly prefer to play with my DS4 (wirelessly) and earn a few trophies while I’m at it, but the 40 quid question is, well… Is it worth the extra 40 quid?

Absolutely worth it. My PC plays this game at max settings and it's still impressive as hell on the PS4. There are things about it that look even better than the PC version. At the end of the day you are still going to be playing a game you already played before, and if that's an issue for you it might be best to pass. But I wouldn't turn away from it on the sole basis of having it on your PC.

NeoRausch

Got this game today and played it for a few hours.
good jolly it's awesome! and soooo smooth.
that part at the beginning (wolfs) made me jump.

Strange thing though: I'm playing the UK version on a German PS4 and all my stuff in the 'What's new'-section shows up as 'Tomb Raider'attached to the standar gray controller picture instead of 'Tomb Raider-Definitive Edition'with the Cover Picture next to it.
can somebody who is following me/on my Friendslist check if it shows up like that for him/her too?

PSN: NeoRausch

BigDug13

Why is it that a game like Skyrim can get away with absolutely no multiplayer of any kind and it still wins GOTY awards, yet the other publishers still think they need to shove multiplayer into every game to check some box on a list?

PBY

Banned
Why is it that a game like Skyrim can get away with absolutely no multiplayer of any kind and it still wins GOTY awards, yet the other publishers still think they need to shove multiplayer into every game to check some box on a list?
Skyrim is a 100 hour plus game?

Very odd glitch.

On the PS4 interface, when I scroll down to view activity for the title it says "Download" rather than "Start", but gives an error when I do. From the main interface, I can click start with no issues. Very strange.

The game is great though, I'm quite happy to be playing it again and I have no issues with Lara's face.

Edit: Strange, went to view screenshots and it's gone back to normal.

valeo

Is this a serious question?

I don't understand the complaint, either - if you don't want to play the MP portion, then don't play it? Often with these games theyre made by different subsections of the team anyway so it doesn't impact on the production of the single player portion.

As a first time player my only complaint is that the tombs are a little short. I was expecting Assassin's Creed 2 style tombs in at least length. These are not a challenge at all.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"Alright, I can do this."

"I can climb this."

"I can get past this."

Not saying I could do better but this is not how you write a good coming-into-her-own origin story :|

3 hours in it's like I GET IT GAME, OVERCOMING ADVERSITY

Second playthrough is going much faster. I forgot that they give you fast travel so early on. I had to laugh when half the skills are for more exp so you can get skills to get more exp. Also alternative instant death stun kills.

system11

Her hair is constantly clipping through Lara's shoulders, bow and quiver, it twitches around even when it should be still, and is largely unaffected by gravity. I find it far more of a distraction than an appealing effect.

I think the best hair I remember in a game is Alice: Madness Returns.

Nuke Soda

"Alright, I can do this."

"I can climb this."

"I can get past this."

Not saying I could do better but this is not how you write a good coming-into-her-own origin story :|

3 hours in it's like I GET IT GAME, OVERCOMING ADVERSITY

Second playthrough is going much faster. I forgot that they give you fast travel so early on. I had to laugh when half the skills are for more exp so you can get skills to get more exp. Also alternative instant death stun kills.
Don't forget Mathais looking all evil the first time you see him, anybody could have been like yo this dude is a creeper except Lara and Sam apparently.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Don't forget Mathais looking all evil the first time you see him, anybody could have been like yo this dude is a creeper except Lara and Sam apparently.

Yep haha. Skipping cutscenes this time around. Don't like any of the characters. Not a single one.

Crystal Dynamics, for TR2 pls bring back sophisticated, sultry, confident Lara.

BFIB

I skipped on this last gen and finally picked it up tonight. Overall, it's very solid so far. If your an uncharted fan, this is right up your alley.

The graphics are fantastic. Really makes me want some more rereleases with some added graphical tweaks.

Raptomex

I never cared for the original games but I am enjoying this immensely. I find it hilarious that there's
very little tomb raiding going on here

Dueck

Banned
I was fearful of a massive amount of buyer's remorse over this game, as the value just didn't seem there to me. I caved mainly because I didn't want to change my mind later and wish I had the art book version.

I'm more than half way through the game already, and it's definitely something I'm going to keep in my permanent collection. I couldn't be happier with it, and I'm glad I missed it last year.

I'm hoping to have the same reaction with Thief in about a month.

kuroshiki

Yep haha. Skipping cutscenes this time around. Don't like any of the characters. Not a single one.

I don't really give a shit about sophisticated (lara was never sophisticated in my opinion) but they better bring swimsuit and hot pants. THEY BETTER.

Well, Lara in this one to my knowledge is probably really young, inexperienced and frightened at first. If I remember correctly, I think she gets more confident as the game progresses on. She will probably mature some in TR2.

Top Bottom