• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Shenzakai

Banned
Played it half-way through last year on PS3, but stopped because of GoW Ascension and BioShock, then lost focus for it. Enjoyed it so far.
Yesterday I've received it for my XOne (Day1 Artbook version, very nice!) and played ~3hrs. Love it so far (again). The graphics are awesome and Laras new look appeals to me better than the inital one. She looks somehow less "Terminator"-like and more like a young, frightened (at least at the beginning) woman. 1080p, framerate (yes!) and the level of detail is just incredible!

FeiRR

Banned
Has anybody got the voice controls to work on PS4? I don't think it's my accent. System voice commands worked fine when I tried. Anyway, I always feel dumb talking to a machine.

Raptomex

Hated Tomb Raider in the 90s. Did NOT get this last year at launch due to lack of interest. I have a PS4, I heard this is like Uncharted, picked this up, am now a Tomb Raider fan.
Has anybody got the voice controls to work on PS4? I don't think it's my accent. System voice commands worked fine when I tried. Anyway, I always feel dumb talking to a machine.
I have NOT got the voice controls to work. I'm just shouting like a fool. I turned it off.

Hated Tomb Raider in the 90s. Did NOT get this last year at launch due to lack of interest. I have a PS4, I heard this is like Uncharted, picked this up, am now a Tomb Raider fan.

I have NOT got the voice controls to work. I'm just shouting like a fool. I turned it off.

I found that where my camera was sitting in front of my speaker bar it would go to the pause menu quite a bit, soon turned that shit off!

Raptomex

I found that where my camera was sitting in front of my speaker bar it would go to the pause menu quite a bit, soon turned that shit off!
I turned off the voice controls and the controller speaker. The speaker is not in sync with the television so it's just annoying and distracting. As I stated above the voice controls don't work or I don't know what I'm doing. I glad to see I'm not the only one.

Nizz

Have most people who ordered the game from Amazon gotten their copy yet? I pre-ordered the PS4 version on Monday but the expected delivery date is February 3rd. Kinda disappointing since I wanted to dig into the game this weekend.

I barely have time to play games enough as it is, this weekend would have been perfect. :/

Linconan

Alright, i caved.
I needed something else other than Shooters and Assassins Creed Black Flag to fill me time.

Even though i still have the same opinion as i did when i first played it on Ps3, as Lara is now an Uncharted clone, with upgrades.
I'm looking as it on it's own title instead of the Classic Lara Croft Tomb Raiders.
Sorta like the movie Speed 2.
So i'm warming up to her, even with the faults. And letting the new style of gameplay shine on it's own.

For a Port being transferred to Next Gen, she is beautiful. 60fps aswell as 1080p.
oh my,...i'm having a hard time concentrating on the game, and focusing to much on Lara,lol.

So, i am happy i double dipped.

Made some progress earlier tonight
just found Grim (I think that's his name)
. Feel victim to the infamous face impalement death scene...twice >.<

I don't really give a shit about sophisticated (lara was never sophisticated in my opinion) but they better bring swimsuit and hot pants. THEY BETTER.

First thing I did was change her into something more suitable for exploration and tomb raiding, the "Mountaineer" outfit. No more hot pants, plz.

This game really is beautiful on the Xbox One. I think the biggest upgrade (apart from the hair) has got to be lighting and vegetation. That bit when your walking through the forest for the first time looks fantastic. Also that bit when your being hunted by the men with hand torches looked phenomenal.

so if you´re honest.
would you recommend me buying the game on ps4 even if i played it on ps3?
i want new games on my ps4 and blockbusters are rare. and the graphics look amazing

so is it worth it another 60 bucks?

so if you´re honest.
i want new games on my ps4 and blockbusters are rare. and the graphics look amazing

I played through it twice on 360 and got it on PS4 and just beat it again. Worth the 60 dollars to me. Looks so good (personally I feel it's the best looking game on the PS4) and it's really good game IMO overall.

Kiyo

so if you´re honest.

If you enjoyed the game the first time AND you'll get some play out of multiplayer then I'd say go for it. If not then I'd probably wait. It'll be $40 in a couple of months I'd imagine.

I'm having fun playing it again even though I played it on PC. I also look forward to jumping into multiplayer when I finish as I never tried it out on PC.

RulkezX

downloading

edit. WTF. my game is indeed in French now. They removed English from my language list.
FR Lara sounds kinda sexy though. Epic troll!

Bizarre , I went to play it last night and it was all in French with no English listen in the language tab.

It started to DL a patch later in the evening , does this fix it.

dave_m123

"Alright, I can do this."

"I can climb this."

"I can get past this."

Not saying I could do better but this is not how you write a good coming-into-her-own origin story :|

3 hours in it's like I GET IT GAME, OVERCOMING ADVERSITY

Second playthrough is going much faster. I forgot that they give you fast travel so early on. I had to laugh when half the skills are for more exp so you can get skills to get more exp. Also alternative instant death stun kills.

Did you also like "SAAAMM SAAAAAAAAAMMMMM SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!" lol

I'm a massive fan of this title. Played it twice on PS3.

I just started the definitive edition last night and...WOW.

I had to scrape my jaw up off the floor. What a stunning looking game. The PS4 version is so damn gorgeous.

Too bad the Share feature doesn't seem to be working at the moment (some sort of error code, dammit).

Number45

UK GAF, anyone else have this?

2014-01-31%2011.12.39.jpg

Straight from sealed. :/

EDIT: Tweeted S-E, see what they say (if anything).

My art book is digital...a bonus feature in the menu. I live in Taiwan so this is the region 3 copy we're talking about. Sadly I didn't get a hardcopy of the art book.

For the people who got the hard copy of the art book...do you also have it on the disc?

Autofokus

Wonder if the Trophy system can handle "dual requirements" where it can be one or the other achieved to unlock said trophy. That way someone can play MP to unlock or SP.

This is and was always possible. I saw other games with 'this or that' requirements, its completely up to the devs.

Can anyone confirm if the digital version is already on the PSN store? I don't have time to pick up a boxed copy today because of work. Can't wait to play this tonight! Cheers guys!

DC1

I played through it twice on 360 and got it on PS4 and just beat it again. Worth the 60 dollars to me. Looks so good (personally I feel it's the best looking game on the PS4) and it's really good game IMO overall.
Absolutely not!
The game has flat facial animation ...everything above the nostrils are fixed in plexiglass. Outside of the B quality acting it's the most distracting aspects of the game.
All other assets look last gen compared to Killzone, ACBF and BF.

Let's call it What it is. TRDE looks a lot better than TR standard. Nothing more.

DC1

Did you also like "SAAAMM SAAAAAAAAAMMMMM SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!" lol
I liked how
everyone screams and shout out loud at each other when their trying to sneak out the caverns; so many other examples
The acting and direction of this game is laughable.

I would have preferred that I never read nor watched videos where people claimed that TR was on par if not better than Uncharted. I would have enjoyed it so much more.

Game Play is fun thou. ..going into my second playthrough. ;)

Carl

I heard Lara's VO was bad, but wow. It's terrible. She's seriously annoying too - i'm getting far too much satisfaction from her violent death scenes. Her "I CAN DO THIS" bits are seriously tiresome.

But the game's quite pretty, and the gameplay is alright. Story is balls though.

Messi

I heard Lara's VO was bad, but wow. It's terrible. She's seriously annoying too - i'm getting far too much satisfaction from her violent death scenes. Her "I CAN DO THIS" bits are seriously tiresome.

But the game's quite pretty, and the gameplay is alright. Story is balls though.

I really like her

123rl

Mine was ok apart from a small tear. The annoying thing is that the disc tray is part of the art book so it will need to be opened and closed every time to get the disc. The thing feels so fragile that it looks like it will fall apart in my hands

Moofers

Really enjoying this despite it's faults. I hate the cheap QTE deaths but that's really my only gameplay complaint. I wish the story did a couple things differently:

First, stop having her fall so much. She falls and gets banged up like ALL THE TIME. FOREVER. It's pretty over the top. I mean it totally loses it's impact when you do it 8 times. The impaling was pretty rough but then she never tends to the wound which is fuckin ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm having fun running around in the beautiful environments. I really do stop and take it in regularly. It's so much prettier and alive than it felt last year. I wish Lara's animation was Naughty Dog level though. Man, just imagine what a Naughty Dog Tomb Raider could be like! Drool*

Bottom line, I'm halfway through it and very glad to own this. I have no problem telling PS4 owners to take the plunge. I look forward to the next Tomb Raider already :)

Number45

Mine was ok apart from a small tear. The annoying thing is that the disc tray is part of the art book so it will need to be opened and closed every time to get the disc. The thing feels so fragile that it looks like it will fall apart in my hands
Yeah, if it's not busted yet you can be sure it will be at some point. I don't plan on keeping it anyway, hopefully it doesn't impact the trade-in value.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Erm what? Her voice acting is fine. Good even. Enjoying the death scenes because she's not Oscar worthy? What the fuck...?

MilkBeard

I really like her

I agree, I don't think it's bad at all. The other characters are bad, but Lara is great, and I enjoy the little touches, like her breathing and sniffling sounds. The developers did a great job with sound design overall.

The script itself isn't so great though.

GravyButt

I must say I cant believed I overlooked this game when it was initially released. So glad I impulse bought it for the ps4. This game has me hooked, so much fun. Lately all ive been playing are COD Bf and sport games, but man oh man this is an extreme breathe of fresh air.
Oh and it looks amazing to boot!

Played this yesterday and it looks so awesome on PS4. I've already played it on 360 so I already know what to expect story wise but this time I'm playing on hard and I'm gonna try and 100% everything.

Although it looks really good, unfortunately, I can still tell it's a last gen game. Dat ocean water is just not doing it for me :(

Lara looks cool tho. Liking the new model.

Teggy

Erm what? Her voice acting is fine. Good even. Enjoying the death scenes because she's not Oscar worthy? What the fuck...?

Her acting is not terrible, but the accent is really uneven. Camilla has lived in the US for so long that she sounds a lot more American now than British and she doesn't do the best job keeping in character.

The actress has a weird americanised british accent. Like she lived there for too long and VO director was like, "make it more british." and this is the best she could manage.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
First, stop having her fall so much. She falls and gets banged up like ALL THE TIME. FOREVER. It's pretty over the top. I mean it totally loses it's impact when you do it 8 times. The impaling was pretty rough but then she never tends to the wound which is fuckin ridiculous.

They make it look really bad with the camera angle of the setup shot, but it really wasn't that big. I had something almost that big go all the way through in about the same spot at work one time and I just thought "Meh, I'll go to a hospital if it starts to look infected.". And I had insurance.

Chinner

Banned
Yeah the voice acting is ok, but it seems a little forced and of sync to what's actually happening. Not a natural performance in my opinion.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
First thing I did was change her into something more suitable for exploration and tomb raiding, the "Mountaineer" outfit. No more hot pants, plz.

Guerilla Warfare "Commando" outfit fits this game more than any other costume really.

I too support the notion of classical hot pants returning for old times sake. At least make it an optional costume.

Top Bottom