• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

cluderi

UK GAF, anyone else have this?

Straight from sealed. :/

EDIT: Tweeted S-E, see what they say (if anything).

Mines the same (just arrived from Game)

Luckily I didn't pay extra for mine but I'd be annoyed if I did, the quality of the case/book is terrible.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
man I'm blind! can somebody spoiler tag me where the treasure map of the first area is?

First area is actually kind of two areas separated by that spooky underground passage. The treasure map for coastal forest is in the second area, the one where you will get harassed by wolves every now and then and where the DLC tomb is. It's on the right side of the map and very close to the stream of water. So follow the stream and look around.

I don't believe treasure maps tell you where collectibles are, and the Coastal Forest collectibles are arguably the hardest-to-find collectibles in the game, so good luck lol. You can 100% that area your first time through, no extra abilities are needed.

I love the DS4 lightbar effects. The torchlight glowing off my fingers is super effective. /thumbs up

I didn't know they were doing stuff like that with the game. Had heard about the shooting lightbar flashes, but not the torch. As my first PS4 game, I was wondering if my controller was low on battery or something ha.

NeoRausch

I love the DS4 lightbar effects. The torchlight glowing off my fingers is super effective. /thumbs up

ohhhh! that's what the red yellow flickering means... duh!

I was always wondering why my energy was low again.

First area is actually kind of two areas separated by that spooky underground passage. The treasure map for coastal forest is in the second area, the one where you will get harassed by wolves every now and then and where the DLC tomb is. It's on the right side of the map and very close to the stream of water. So follow the stream and look around.

I don't believe treasure maps tell you where collectibles are, and the Coastal Forest maps are arguably the hardest-to-find collectibles in the game, so good luck lol. You can 100% that area your first time through, no extra abilities are needed.

I didn't know they were doing stuff like that with the game. Had heard about the shooting lightbar flashes, but not the torch. As my first PS4 game, I was wondering if my controller was low on battery or something ha.

thanks!

Sub_Level

Played this yesterday and it looks so awesome on PS4. I've already played it on 360 so I already know what to expect story wise but this time I'm playing on hard and I'm gonna try and 100% everything.

Although it looks really good, unfortunately, I can still tell it's a last gen game. Dat ocean water is just not doing it for me :(

Lara looks cool tho. Liking the new model.

Protip: Wait until you have more abilities before trying to 100% the third area of the game (the wide open mountain area with Buddha statues and stuff).

Hard doesn't start to mean much of anything until Shantytown, and even then, it's a fairly easy game.

No prob. There's an ability you can get later on which better highlights collectibles in L1/LB Vision Mode. So before you start hunting those necklace things you can wait 'till you get it and always come back.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just finished the game at 67% completion.

Freaking awesome game, loved every second of it.

Certainly the highest quality SP experience available on next gen so far. Nice, meaty campaign, stellar graphics, great performance, and great, tight gameplay.

For my first Tomb Raider game ever, I can now say that I am a fan, and anxiously await the next installment.

Cudder

Question:

I got to "the point of no return" last night. It said that if I progress I wouldn't be able to fast travel anymore. Do I have to go back now and get collectibles I missed? Because someone said that when you beat the game you can also go back and get everything.

Massa

Question:

I got to "the point of no return" last night. It said that if I progress I wouldn't be able to fast travel anymore. Do I have to go back now and get collectibles I missed? Because someone said that when you beat the game you can also go back and get everything.

You can go back, that warning is there to remind you to spend your upgrade points.

x-Lundz-x

Just finished the game at 67% completion.

Freaking awesome game, loved every second of it.

Certainly the highest quality SP experience available on next gen so far. Nice, meaty campaign, stellar graphics, great performance, and great, tight gameplay.

For my first Tomb Raider game ever, I can now say that I am a fan, and anxiously await the next installment.

Glad you iked it! It was one of my top 5 games last year. Amazing. I played it on 360 and I'm going to go pick it up today for my ps4.

Did you play it on ps4? How bad were the frame drops if any?

tbm24

Glad you iked it! It was one of my top 5 games last year. Amazing. I played it on 360 and I'm going to go pick it up today for my ps4.

Did you play it on ps4? How bad were the frame drops if any?
Depends how sensitive you are to that type of thing. I'm not sensitive to it at all unless the came simply stops moving, so I didn't notice any at all. I only notice it when it's like in the low 20s tbh, not TR but other games back when my pc was still in its infancy of raw power.

Protip: Wait until you have more abilities before trying to 100% the third area of the game (the wide open mountain area with Buddha statues and stuff).

Hard doesn't start to mean much of anything until Shantytown, and even then, it's a fairly easy game.
Thanks for the tip!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Is this a serious question?

I don't understand the complaint, either - if you don't want to play the MP portion, then don't play it? Often with these games theyre made by different subsections of the team anyway so it doesn't impact on the production of the single player portion.

Honestly the only reason we get pointless multiplayer modes is because game reviewers took to whining about the lack of multiplayer on every single game saying "There's no excuse for no online options in Final Fantasy or any other discretely single player experience in the age of consoles with broadband connections!"

Did they actually care about that? No. It is a negative bullet point that takes no thought or effort to plop mindlessly into a review however.

So now to make higher Meta Critic scores, devs have to tack on multiplayer that nobody cares (seriously is TR MP actually populated?) about to get that extra MC point.

x-Lundz-x

Depends how sensitive you are to that type of thing. I'm not sensitive to it at all unless the came simply stops moving, so I didn't notice any at all. I only notice it when it's like in the low 20s tbh, not TR but other games back when my pc was still in its infancy of raw power.

We'll I'm bit real sensitive bit some people claim they see nothing while others say the drops are pretty noticeable. Just curious :)

Sub_Level

Ok cool. And if this is the last time I get to spend upgrade points then I didn't make enough to upgrade everything. :(

You can still upgrade afterwards too, but your upgrades will of course largely be pointless since there will be no enemies left. Just wildlife. I guess there still might be a wolf or two here and there, but not even sure of that.

Enjoying the death scenes because she's annoying and her accent is awful

What??? The VO actress IS British... and she's a pretty good actor to boot. I don't know how a British person could do a bad British accent, unless you just hate British accents...?

Fess

We'll I'm bit real sensitive bit some people claim they see nothing while others say the drops are pretty noticeable. Just curious :)
Sadly they are very noticable if you look for them, probably because everything usually runs very very smoothly between the big drops, but they never mess up the gameplay imo. Still, I wouldn't want 30fps locked instead of this. I'd want it in Killzone but TR runs far too smoothly most of the time, it would be a real shame to downgrade it that much. It's a real stunner for the most part, the new weather effects looks amazing and it's incredibly detailed, I think we'll have to wait for Naughty Dog to show their game before this is topped.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What??? The VO actress IS British... and she's a pretty good actor to boot. I don't know how a British person could do a bad British accent, unless you just hate British accents...?
Carl's from the UK, and tbf Camilla does have a forced sounding British accent in TR, some of the ways she says things are over done she probably is forcing it and doesnt speak like that or didn't originally, the artifact talk over in the game is probley the most natural she sounds in the game.
Watch the intro and you'll see what I mean.

bryanee

British born but has spent most of her life in the States. I'd imagine she had to put on the British accent.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
British born but has spent most of her life in the States. I'd imagine she had to put on the British accent.
Yeah it's probably the American accent coming through that irritates Carl, none British probably wouldn't notice it
The problem is they extend the pronunciation of the words like an American would but in a british accent and it sounds wrong.
Top A List actors usually can do it as they've had training in acting which includes English, you'll notice most US actors lose their strong accent from where they're from because of it so it hard to recognize the accents origin.

Note, nothing wrong with the American accent btw

Gestault

I played the whole game in Spanish. Many of the voice actors are from Spain. That accent sure is noticeable. Either way, Spanish is best.

Game was awesome again the second time through, looked absolutely beautiful, very impressive in a couple parts near the end as well. Got 100% again and enjoyed it just as much as the last time I played it.

As a side note, the light blue color for the DS4 light bar has been by far the least distracting light a developer has used, I hope more developers use that light color or a variation of that, the string blue is too bright.

How hard is it to get the trophy for winning multiplayer matches in all 4 categories? I generally am horrible at multiplayer, and there's one for winning in Free for All, so basically I can't have the rest of my team carry me. Am I basically screwed for this one?

d9b

Banned
Finished game on Xbox 360 and could not resist PS4 version... Game runs smooth as a butter and looks stunning!

PS4 screens:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nuke Soda

Finished game on Xbox 360 and could not resist PS4 version... Game runs smooth as a butter and looks stunning!

PS4 screens:

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is how my game picture captures go:
Don't Starve:1
Assassins Creed IV: 3
Killzone: Shadow Fall: 4
Call of Duty: Ghost: 5
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition: 20

Been remote playing most the game on my Vita and it's pretty fun. So far, I feel like I'm definitely going to get my money's worth.

I agree with the above poster though, I can't place my finger on it but I find her voice rather weird.

Sub_Level

Just finished 100%ing it today on "Hard".

If I had to throw a ballpark figure, I'd say it took maybe 11 or so hours.

Some of those collectibles are annoying to find. Felt like I spent 2 hours just on the beach section looking for shit.

My opinion of the game has remained unchanged with this new version. It is OK. There's a thread already about what a sequel needs which nails the majority of my wants too and gripes with this game. But in short: needs puzzles, traps, better sense of vulnerability and isolation, harder platforming, short shorts, and dual pistols. The CoDification with respect to the levelling up, perks, attachments, combat, and optional collectibles doesn't bother me as much. Prefer the combat in this one to the other games. Doing backflips and sideflips with the pistols in the PS1 games was neither fun nor sensible. They need to keep the awesome traversal this game has. Rope arrows and climbing axe add to it. And finally, a better story and characters would be cool, but ultimately TR is all about gameplay for me so that part isn't as important.

ron_bato

Couldn't resist buying since I sold my NBA 2k14 for the ps4 for 40$, and the game is selling at around 45$ here in the Philippines. So yeah, that's a pretty good deal.

The image quality really is topnotch, and the attention to detail given to the little things like the foliage, the grass, and the lighting is really really impressive. All this did is make me want a the Last of Us definitive edition more.

Melchiah

I'm glad I took Gaf's advice on the GOTY thread and bought the game, eventhough I had decided to postpone buying it until the price goes down. Enjoying the game so far, as there's more adventuring than action, the opposite of that was what I disliked in Uncharted. Hopefully it'll keep that way further on.

I heard Lara's VO was bad, but wow. It's terrible. She's seriously annoying too - i'm getting far too much satisfaction from her violent death scenes. Her "I CAN DO THIS" bits are seriously tiresome.

But the game's quite pretty, and the gameplay is alright. Story is balls though.

The voice acting is fine....I’ve heard better, but to call it terrible? Nah.

Maybe you're just confusing the voice acting with the ho-hum script?

klier

Have been playing the game on PS4 all day yesterday. Love it, and I am so glad this is the first time I play this game. Crazy adventure!

EGM1966

I think there's more Xbox only sites/mags than PS4 only sites/mags.

Other way round (for this game anyway) higher number of reviews for PS4 version vs XB1 and hence different metascore due to different averaging out. And as often happens more reviews generally drags the score down a bit unless we're talking crazy levels of reviewer accord or skews for other reasons.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/tomb-raider-definitive-edition

As an aside this is a great example of why Metacritic is useless for comparing game versions scores - unless the number (and source) of review sites matches exactly the comparison becomes moot because it's comparing two different sets of data.

On a side note - not wanting to de-rail anything - although I don't like/use metacritic checking for this title out of curiosity I can't help notice the lists for each console make a mockery of all the arguing over which has the best launch library.

Trojan X

Banned
All this did is make me want a the Last of Us definitive edition more.

Will never happen. Tomb raider had the pc to base things on, the last of us development was a different kettle of fish in comparison and will cost many man hours to give the game that next gen justice.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Will never happen. Tomb raider had the pc to base things on, the last of us development was a different kettle of fish in comparison and will cost many man hours to give the game that next gen justice.

Yes and no.

They already have the high fidelity assets used for cutscenes and renders that were scaled down for gameplay.

Use those in gameplay, then render the game at 1080p 60fps.

You're more than halfway there.

Since they are using the same engine on PS4, they could thrown in some of the fancy effects from their next gen titles, like reflections, Bokeh DoF, SSS, particle effects, and boom. You have one of the best looking games in existence that many people will buy.

nubbe

The visuals in this version is absolutely stunning at times
They is so much going on at times it can be distracting

It's a bummer the FPS is like 45 in hub areas

Tomb Raider 2 should be mindblowing on PS4

Bgamer90

Banned
Other way round (for this game anyway) higher number of reviews for PS4 version vs XB1 and hence different metascore due to different averaging out. And as often happens more reviews generally drags the score down a bit unless we're talking crazy levels of reviewer accord or skews for other reasons.

Yes, I meant to post that the other way around. Was my mistake.

omonimo

Banned
It's tough to resist to that graphic, ghhh. Damn, I have nothing of better to play on ps4, my new console is dusty now.

NeoRausch

Yes and no.

They already have the high fidelity assets used for cutscenes and renders that were scaled down for gameplay.

Since they are using the same engine on PS4, they could thrown in some of the fancy effects from their next gen titles, like reflections, Bokeh DoF, SSS, particle effects, and boom. You have one of the best looking games in existence that many people will buy.

wasn't the upport of TR relatively easy because there was a PC version? Both new consoles are more or less streamlined PCs with an closed environment.
Meanwhile TLOU/Engine was programmed for the CELL-Interiors which are a VERY SPECIAL case.

I don't think a engine upgrade from PS3 to PS4 isn't as easy to do when there is no PC version of the game.
but who knows, maybe they already had the PS4 in the back of their minds when doing the PS3 version. who knows?

also: we are going totally off topic here.

Trojan X

Banned
Yes and no.

All true points. I guess the ultimate factor depends on the amount of actual high fedility assets that are available along with the overhead cost required to give the game justice. Also you have to consider how the core code was written in the first place (ps3 code), a case that gave tomb raider that development ease for the ps4 version of the game. So yup, the yes and no.

How dark is this game supposed to be? if i go by the slider the game is nearly pitch black when i cant see the logo. but when i turn the brightness up its too bright... god damn it. havent had this problem with my tv yet.

Top Bottom