• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

nubbe

How dark is this game supposed to be? if i go by the slider the game is nearly pitch black when i cant see the logo. but when i turn the brightness up its too bright... god damn it. havent had this problem with my tv yet.
It is supposed to be rather colorful in dark areas
Like Diablo 3

CyberChulo

I purchased the ps4 edition of Tomb Raider and rented the Xbox one version. I think the reason why the Xbox runs at 30 frames per second is because the tressfx is used more than Xbox version her hair is always moving and seems to follow up with the wind. When playing the PlayStation 4 version hair is a lot more tame and I think that's why it can run at higher frame rate than Xbox 1

omonimo

Banned
I purchased the ps4 edition of Tomb Raider and rented the Xbox one version. I think the reason why the Xbox runs at 30 frames per second is because the tressfx is used more than Xbox version her hair is always moving and seems to follow up with the wind. When playing the PlayStation 4 version hair is a lot more tame and I think that's why it can run at higher frame rate than Xbox 1

Sorry, but I find it completely laughable. Maybe Tressfx has a sort of glitch on ps4, but I doubt xbox runs a better version of it. Xbox version use low buffer & dynamic resolution too. After all, it's not even 30 fps steady. Low buffer in the next generation it's ridicolous.

theytookourjobz

Haven't tried the PS4 version yet (might try and find a cheap used copy in the next week or so) but the XB1 version looks great. Haven't noticed any slowdown in the first hour (obviously it's not 60 like the PS4) and it looks markedly better than the 360 version. If you haven't played it yet and only have an Xbone don't hesitate to pick it up!

D6AMIA6N

Good game made better by great graphics. Rented and played it on 360, but didn't finish it. Bought for PS4, and it's even better this time.

I had this on PS3 and stopped playing because I was just overcrowded with other games. While I still feel drowning in a sea of endless games to play, I rented this last night and am currently playing it. The graphics are such a huge improvement. The only thing I still don't like is the way people's hair looks. I don't know why but it never seems to be just right in video games. That and water have always been something I notice...although water looks perfect in this one. Such an intense story, too. I love this!

Played more of the PS4 and while it's gorgeous I find myself noticing the frame drops more and more. I don't think they should have locked it at thirty but it really throws me off.

Bond007

I looked back a ton of pages but does any one have any detailed pics of the book edition?
All i found were some blurry ones

Debating

SkylineRKR

Its an excellent game and since its been a year I forgot most of it. I am now playing for 100% and found all the collectibles in the first handful areas.

Also made this pic:

1010473_1388444534751933_1178416308_n.jpg

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Played more of the PS4 and while it's gorgeous I find myself noticing the frame drops more and more. I don't think they should have locked it at thirty but it really throws me off.

Occasional drops don't offset how well it runs 90% of the time.
No, thanks. No arbitrary lockdowns. I already can't go back to AC4 after this.

I like the game so far. The whole I'm a scared girl crap gets old fast though. Especially after i just killed 15 dudes and then he says Laura climb that mountain and she goes i can't.! Im scared. Oh right.. The mountain scares you after surviving a boat wreck, a murderous torturing psychopaths hell cave, killer wolves and murdering 15 people.. Got it

Also every time she Goes to a fire she all freezing to death.. Well you're wearing a fuckin tank top.. Maybe find a coat

Will never happen. Tomb raider had the pc to base things on, the last of us development was a different kettle of fish in comparison and will cost many man hours to give the game that next gen justice.

Aren't all games programmed on PC and more or less squeezed to a consoles spec anyway? I have no programming knowledge, so I can only base that on what I have heard..

pswii60

Got my PS4 version yesterday.

The IQ is glorious with no jaggies, but it also highlights that this is ultimately a last gen game, with many of the effects (like fire effects) running at half the output framerate and looking a little out of place. Some of it almost kind of reminds me of playing previous generation games up-res'd on a PC emulator. But I am nit-picking. EDIT: I should say that I think the hair effect and additional detail on Lara is particularly impressive.

That aside, I'm not nit-picking when I say the stuttering framerate drives me insane. Just as it did on KZ:SF and Knack. Absolutely fucking insane. I hope this isn't going to be a current-gen trend. If you can't reach a constant 60fps then please allow us an option to lock it at 30fps. I enjoyed last year's Xbox 360 version more just because the immersion wasn't broken randomly by framerate judder/stutter.

BigDug13

The IQ is glorious with no jaggies, but it also highlights that this is ultimately a last gen game, with many of the effects (like fire effects) running at half the output framerate and looking a little out of place. Some of it almost kind of reminds me of playing previous generation games up-res'd on a PC emulator. But I am nit-picking.

That aside, I'm not nit-picking when I say the stuttering framerate drives me insane. Just as it did on KZ:SF and Knack. Absolutely fucking insane. I hope this isn't going to be a current-gen trend. If you can't reach a constant 60fps then please allow us an option to lock it at 30fps. I enjoyed last year's Xbox 360 version more just because the immersion wasn't broken randomly by framerate judder/stutter.

Is it still called "judder/stutter" when the lowest it gets is still above 30fps? I've never heard of anyone calling 32 FPS a stuttering speed. Stuttering implies an extreme slowdown.

Mononoke

Banned
I played this game on my PC (Ultra Settings), when it first came out. I finally got around to getting the PS4 version and wow. This definitely overall plays better. I don't know if I would say it looks better. But it looks close enough + the performance that I'm impressed. I think the biggest thing is the Tress FX issues and big slow downs (that would sometimes happen in certain areas even on PC) - aren't there. You can tell when the FPS dips on this version, but it's never for long periods of time. And it doesn't have anywhere near the issues that it had at launch.

That said, this was at launch. I'm sure the PC version is really great now after a ton of updates + driver changes. But it feels good to play this on console. Well worth the money.

The IQ is glorious with no jaggies, but it also highlights that this is ultimately a last gen game, with many of the effects (like fire effects) running at half the output framerate and looking a little out of place. Some of it almost kind of reminds me of playing previous generation games up-res'd on a PC emulator. But I am nit-picking. EDIT: I should say that I think the hair effect and additional detail on Lara is particularly impressive.

Absolutely fucking insane? I thought Killzone was pretty smooth to be honest....

pswii60

Is it still called "judder/stutter" when the lowest it gets is still above 30fps? I've never heard of anyone calling 32 FPS a stuttering speed. Stuttering implies an extreme slowdown.

Stutter/judder doesn't imply an extreme slowdown. It implies that there isn't a locked framerate. A framerate that moves constantly between 30fps and 60fps is fucking irritating, and far more irritating that a framerate locked at either 30fps or 60fps. For the record, I have to watch Blu-Rays at their native 24hz too - I can't stand 60hz pulldown for the same reason.

It doesn't affect some people, because they don't have brains/eyes. But it really does affect me and winds me up no end.
Absolutely fucking insane? I thought Killzone was pretty smooth to be honest....
Yes smooth most of the time with the occasional sporadic judder. And that occasional judder breaks the immersion. As for Knack, that was abysmal.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

The entire last generation was like that, except sub-30...

Mononoke

Banned
Ah okay. I never played Knack so i wouldn't know about that game.

Knack definitely had issues, which REALLY let me down. I actually enjoyed the game more than most folks. But I thought it was one of the worst performing games at launch. It had so much judder (whatever the fuck people call it). But it was constantly noticeable.

nib95

Banned

Might be your TV set or monitor that's exasperating judder, because with Shadow Fall on my VT65 plasma, I never noticed any. But you do realise 99% of games last gen had the same issue? Only dropping from mainly 30fps instead of 60fps.

Having a great time with this game on my PS4. Awesome looking, great performance and I'm even having fun looking for the collectibles.

And Lara looks awesome in the Sure-Shot outfit, definitely my favorite by far.

Played the game on XBONE last week. Picked it up for ps4 today. Updated impressions? PS4 is truly the definitive edition. Leaps and bounds smoother.

K8oj6wN.png

Kamina

Golden Boy
Just 100%ed the PS4 version. Haven't played the old versions.
This game was really awesome, so I am looking forward to a potential Tomb Raider 2.

Add me to team "anything over 30 fps is gravy". The game is gorgeous. I notice the frame rate drops but it really doesn't bother me that much. I hate to say it but I'm actually enjoying this game more than uncharted 3. More platforming/exploring, the shooting is smoother.

What the… You like that game that much?!

No. I mean it's a good game but I got a PS4 yesterday and waned to flex it's muscles so I traded in the xbox version for the PS4 version.

I would call my XBox One an A- Media Center and the PS4 An A+ Game Console (so far)

GloveSlap

I wanted to hold off on the PS4 version for a a price drop but I couldn't resist. Luckily someone at Gamestop bought the game thinking it was a sequel or something and instantly returned it. So I was able to get a mint opened art book version for %10 off. should be able to get most of my money back out since it seems the limited edition is kind of sought after.

The game is stunning. I thought the 360 version looked good at the time, but the PS4 version looks like a legit next gen game. It might be the most jaw dropping game on the PS4 IMO, if not the most technically impressive. It is much more pleasing to look at, than say Killzone and a much better game to boot.

I know a lot of people don't like the new action direction for Tomb Raider but the game is great for what it is. It also has some of the most satisfying head shots since Resident Evil 4.

BigDug13

Stutter/judder doesn't imply an extreme slowdown. It implies that there isn't a locked framerate. A framerate that moves constantly between 30fps and 60fps is fucking irritating, and far more irritating that a framerate locked at either 30fps or 60fps. For the record, I have to watch Blu-Rays at their native 24hz too - I can't stand 60hz pulldown for the same reason.

It doesn't affect some people, because they don't have brains/eyes. But it really does affect me and winds me up no end.

Yes smooth most of the time with the occasional sporadic judder. And that occasional judder breaks the immersion. As for Knack, that was abysmal.

So, if other people are not as bothered by framerate fluctuations as you, that means they don't have brains or they don't have eyes. Well thanks for calling us all brainless blind people. I appreciate that.

You should just buy a PC and set it at 30fps with a frame limiter. That's the only way you can ensure that you get an unfluctuating framerate.

Raptomex

As much as I'm enjoying this game they should have called it something else like Lara Croft: Origins or something more creative. Tomb Raider doesn't really apply here.

pswii60

Might be your TV set or monitor that's exasperating judder, because with Shadow Fall on my VT65 plasma, I never noticed any. But you do realise 99% of games last gen had the same issue? Only dropping from mainly 30fps instead of 60fps.
I have a VT65 plasma.

Drops from 30fps aren't as noticeable IMO. It's because 60fps is so damn smooth that any drop sticks out like anything to me.

Seriously stop getting on the defence, I'm just pointing out something that annoys me. No need for the "it's your TV" bs. I'm don't expect everyone to agree, just let me have my opinion.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PS4 version here
While I enjoy the 60fps (like I said previously when PC gamers was going on about 60fps) some games 60fps it doesn't suit, now the game is fine but there is one walk animation that hilarious because how fast she walks because of the 60fps, obviously animation is based on frames and you increase the frame rate you increase the speed of that animation, but its just that one animation in TR, everything else looks fantastic in 60fps

Dez

I have a VT65 plasma.

Drops from 30fps aren't as noticeable IMO. It's because 60fps is so damn smooth that any drop sticks out like anything to me.

Seriously stop getting on the defence, I'm just pointing out something that annoys me. No need for the "it's your TV" bs. I'm don't expect everyone to agree, just let me have my opinion.

I definitely agree. This trend of >30 fps < 60 fps gaming kinda sucks. Give me locked 30 fps like ac4 ps4 any day..

kyser73

PS4. Hugely impressed with the framerate, general art & game itself (I'm a sucker for this style of game - I love all this cinematic 'crap') but...some janky animation transitions & the water effects. The latter are nowhere near the spume & spray of AC4 as the Jackdaw carves through the waves - although I now completely get the 60fps thing when it comes to control response & so on.

I got the digipack and while I like the art book, Royal Mail somehow bend the outer sleeve spine & the binding (read: staples) makes the pages feel like they're about to fall out.

This is nit-picking tho - great game, gorgeous visuals.

Nori Chan

I founds a glitch in the XB1 where no cutscenes work and it's just one still shot of the opening frame.

I'm going to see if uninstalling it works. But that really sucks.

Edit: So it seems that the cutscenes don't work while I was snapping a love broadcast on twitch...you may proceed to ridicule, gaf.

Carnby

PS4 version here
While I enjoy the 60fps (like I said previously when PC gamers was going on about 60fps) some games 60fps it doesn't suit, now the game is fine but there is one walk animation that hilarious because how fast she walks because of the 60fps, obviously animation is based on frames and you increase the frame rate you increase the speed of that animation, but its just that one animation in TR, everything else looks fantastic in 60fps

What? Is that true?

PS4 version here

I don't think that's the case in Tomb Raider, is it?

I definitely agree. This trend of >30 fps < 60 fps gaming kinda sucks. Give me locked 30 fps like ac4 ps4 any day..

I have to agree too. This is a good port (PS4), but compared to Assassin's Creed 4 I much rather locked 30 than this 30-60 BS. The game is also VERY dark. Whatever post-processing stuff they put on the game seems to be darkening the game a bit, kinda like what happens in Killer Instinct for XB1. Turning up the brightness helps, but there are still some funky contrast issues with this port. I'd like to know if the same issues happen on XB1, especially during the cutscenes since those are rendered in 900p.

I'm hoping for a locked 30 in Infamous as this 30-60 stuff was bothersome in Killzone and Knack as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS4 version here
This is absolutely not the case with this game. You could run it at 240FPS and the animation would be the exact same speed - all of them. Now, what you are actually complaining about, and what I kind of agree with, is that you can see 'too much' of animation when the framerate is very high. I'm putting 'too much' in quotes because I meant that you can easily see the imperfections in the animation - be it the way how it was manually animated, or how the engine interpolates it. In any case, I kind of agree with you, 60FPS just leaves no doors open for imperfections in animation. It makes what should be looking like real life motion look that much more jarring that you can so clearly see how smooth it looks, and yet because of that - how wrong it looks. This was exactly the jist of that "more 30FPS, more cinematic" article that everyone loves to dump on btw.

compared to Assassin's Creed 4 I much rather locked 30 than this 30-60 BS.
This game is more like 45-60FPS, and holds 55-60 so much of the time, that it would be outright dumb to lock it at 30. It would be like locking Bayonetta (X360) to 30 as an example.

This game is more like 45-60FPS, and holds 55-60 so much of the time, that it would be outright dumb to lock it at 30. It would be like locking Bayonetta (X360) to 30 as an example.

I was ok with it until I got to Shantytown. It's been very annoying in this section. It definitely drops below 45 for sure.

Delt31

b/c of this damn thread i dropped 60 on this. Can't say it wasn't worth it but i was hoping this game wasn't as good as it is since the 60 is overpriced

SpokkX

PS4 version here
because of the 60fps, obviously animation is based on frames and you increase the frame rate you increase the speed of that animation, but its just that one animation in TR, everything else looks fantastic in 60fps

Lol NO, an animation starts and ends at the same time regardless of 10, 30 or 60fps. The animation will contain more viewable frames though

Say an animation that takes 3 seconds to show.
Example:

@10fps: 10x3 = Will contain 30 total frames
@30fps: 30x3 = Will contain 90 total frames
@60fps: 60x3 = Will contain 180 total frames

There is no disadvantage running at higher framerate if it can be maintained and the animation is detailed enough

I have to agree too. This is a good port (PS4), but compared to Assassin's Creed 4 I much rather locked 30 than this 30-60 BS. The game is also VERY dark. Whatever post-processing stuff they put on the game seems to be darkening the game a bit, kinda like what happens in Killer Instinct for XB1. Turning up the brightness helps, but there are still some funky contrast issues with this port. I'd like to know if the same issues happen on XB1, especially during the cutscenes since those are rendered in 900p.

I'm hoping for a locked 30 in Infamous as this 30-60 stuff was bothersome in Killzone and Knack as well.

Infamous games for the most part ran @ 30fps, but when you're in empty spaces or climbing buildings(when there isn't much to render on screen) the game would run between 50-60fps!

Raptomex

Just complete this. Story was ridiculous. Too many QTEs and scripted events. Other than that I enjoyed it. The gameplay was solid and the combat felt pretty good. I still say they should have called the game something else though with Tomb Raider as a subtitle or something.

Top Bottom