• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

cameron

What? Is that true?

No. Most modern game engines use time based animation rather than frame based. So a variable frame rate is not a huge issue. For example, if the raw animation data is keyed at 30 fps, with keys on each frame, the time step would be 33 ms between two keys/transforms. Rather than update the transform at the start of each frame with raw keyframe data, you update with interpolated data between two keys, while keeping track of how much time has passed.

Goodness, this game looks incredible on PS4. Really blown away by how much work's been put into this port. The section with the buildings on fire...Holy shit!

One thing I can't seem to figure out...where do I go to access the additional outfits?

I played this game on my PC (Ultra Settings), when it first came out. I finally got around to getting the PS4 version and wow. This definitely overall plays better. I don't know if I would say it looks better. But it looks close enough + the performance that I'm impressed. I think the biggest thing is the Tress FX issues and big slow downs (that would sometimes happen in certain areas even on PC) - aren't there. You can tell when the FPS dips on this version, but it's never for long periods of time. And it doesn't have anywhere near the issues that it had at launch.

That said, this was at launch. I'm sure the PC version is really great now after a ton of updates + driver changes. But it feels good to play this on console. Well worth the money.

Azula, thanks for your PC/Console impressions. I bought this on the PC for $10 during a Steam sale in the fall. I am now debating if I should play the PC version I have or get this on the PS4. So would you say that the PS4 version is the better version to go with? I can probably run this on Ultra on my PC or close to it as I have a 2500K and 770 in my PC.

Psykotik

some pics i took

bp7.jpg

cp7.jpg

dp7.jpg

iavi

Azula, thanks for your PC/Console impressions. I bought this on the PC for $10 during a Steam sale in the fall. I am now debating if I should play the PC version I have or get this on the PS4. So would you say that the PS4 version is the better version to go with? I can probably run this on Ultra on my PC or close to it as I have a 2500K and 770 in my PC.

Hell no. If you have a PC capable at keeping it @ 60~ fps with everything ultra'd out, there's no reason to spend more money on the Definitive Edition, aside from curiosity. (Which has taken me a bit, tbh)

This is coming from someone who finally decided to tackle the copy sitting in their Steam backlog as well, after seeing all this talk/comparison vids surrounding the Definitive edition. I'm nearly finished with the game now.

3570K/HD7950 w/ TressFX on, 1080p, and everything else maxed out has kept me around 60fps for the good majority of the game. Not a crash, or crazy performance dip in sight.

----

My only wish for Nixxes to bust out is, even if they don't bring over botox lara, give the PC players TressFX 2.0 in an update.

Jobbs

Banned
do you guys think 1080p and locked 60 would even be possible on ps4? maybe naughty dog can pull it off?

Judging by ND's past games, it seems they like to squeeze as much visual greatness onto the screen as possible while maintaining the minimum accceptable framerate. I would expect this in the future, as well, and that's fine IMO (for their type of game).

Pinbot

Banned
I'm really enjoying it the second time around on the Xbox Øne.

But for some reason the improved graphics aren't making as much of an impact. I could quite happily play it on the 360 and have the same effect. The gameplay, for me, is the main draw obviously.

It's reminding me why it is close to my GOTY 2013 though.

Lara's hair looks nice. But I'd be just as content playing it on 360 again.

freefornow

I'm really enjoying it the second time around on the Xbox Øne.

But for some reason the improved graphics aren't making as much of an impact. I could quite happily play it on the 360 and have the same effect. The gameplay, for me, is the main draw obviously.

It's reminding me why it is close to my GOTY 2013 though.

Lara's hair looks nice. But I'd be just as content playing it on 360 again.

The lighting alone makes a significant difference over the 360 version.

X-Factor

Tomb Raider's online multiplayer compenent is terrible compared to Uncharted.

TR has bad online in general. The animations look choppy and unfinished, even compared to the ones used in the main game.
Even if UC MP did not exist, TR's multiplayer would still be considered bad compared to just about every other game made this
generation that has some form online MP.

I think TR DE was worth buying but definitely not for the online MP.

7un4.jpg

a4i4.jpg

m7pu.jpg

Hell no. If you have a PC capable at keeping it @ 60~ fps with everything ultra'd out, there's no reason to spend more money on the Definitive Edition, aside from curiosity. (Which has taken me a bit, tbh)

This is coming from someone who finally decided to tackle the copy sitting in their Steam backlog as well, after seeing all this talk/comparison vids surrounding the Definitive edition. I'm nearly finished with the game now.

3570K/HD7950 w/ TressFX on, 1080p, and everything else maxed out has kept me around 60fps for the good majority of the game. Not a crash, or crazy performance dip in sight.

----

My only wish for Nixxes to bust out is, even if they don't bring over botox lara, give the PC players TressFX 2.0 in an update.

I'll have to fire this up on the PC and see how it looks then that you say that. Even if the game could be locked at 50 FPS on the PC with everything turned on it would still be good imo. I bet even if they charged $10 on the PC for the update patch, people would jump on it instead of having to buy an all new version of the game.

f@luS

More than a member.
Im at 21%. Sometimes im in awe it looks stunning mostly daytime but also u can sometimes see old gen assets here and there. Overall good upgrade. And I love this generation .... Gimme more 1080p sweetness it's day and night as I sit 2meters from my 65'' TV ...

How is MP ? Worth trying ?

Playing the game, having fun

Notice my controller light is flashing rapidly

What the hell is wrong with my controller?

Turn it over; it's flashing red/orange/yellow

Look at the screen

Controller light flashes colors to emulate ambient torchlight whenever Lara has the torch out and lit

TECHNOLOGY

SmokyDave

Just finished it on PS4. Fuck me, that was awesome. Game looks absolutely stunning. The credits rolled at 72% complete and I'm going back tomorrow to collect the rest.

I paid full price (£45) and thought it was worth every penny. Really glad I didn't buy it for PS3 when it first came out.

Just finished it on PS4. Fuck me, that was awesome. Game looks absolutely stunning. The credits rolled at 72% complete and I'm going back tomorrow to collect the rest.

I paid full price (£45) and thought it was worth every penny. Really glad I didn't buy it for PS3 when it first came out.

I always wonder if it is story progress or 100% progress it shows when you load games. I wish games made it clearer. I'm at about 50% but I'm collecting most of the collectibles as I go. I didn't buy for PS3 and I am really enjoying this game. All I want is a Farcry 3 port and I'll be happy. Another good game I never got around to.

f@luS

More than a member.
I can't understand what the point of all collectible. Seem a bother. I did in first area but it's not funny it's L1 click every second - check
For trophies ?

Lima

I always wonder if it is story progress or 100% progress it shows when you load games. I wish games made it clearer. I'm at about 50% but I'm collecting most of the collectibles as I go. I didn't buy for PS3 and I am really enjoying this game. All I want is a Farcry 3 port and I'll be happy. Another good game I never got around to.

Overall game completion. That includes collectibles.

I can't understand what the point of all collectible. Seem a bother. I did in first area but it's not funny it's L1 click every second - check
For trophies ?

For XP obviously. Trophies/achievements too. Some people like just like to get 100% you know.

For trophies ?

Personally it's not the fact of getting the collectibles but exploring the world and taking in all the pretty visuals. Gotta get my 60 bucks worth. :p

f@luS

More than a member.
Overall game completion. That includes collectibles.

For XP obviously. Trophies/achievements too. Some people like just like to get 100% you know.
Well. Still didn't finish bf4. Mario world 3d. And ac4.... I better play another game than finding collectible :p imho

Nuke Soda

Playing the game, having fun

Notice my controller light is flashing rapidly

What the hell is wrong with my controller?

Turn it over; it's flashing red/orange/yellow

Look at the screen

Controller light flashes colors to emulate ambient torchlight whenever Lara has the torch out and lit

TECHNOLOGY
I never noticed it until people started mentioning it and now I can't stop looking at it.

jaaz

Holy crap at the
escape the fiery palace
level. I have never seen graphics like that on any console, and it rivaled anything I've seen on my PC. Frame rate was excellent through most of the sequence--simple amazing. Well done!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For trophies ?

I've gotten the collectibles twice. Once on PC. And now 100% on PS4.

It's not fun. Save yourself.

CyberChulo

Sorry, but I find it completely laughable. Maybe Tressfx has a sort of glitch on ps4, but I doubt xbox runs a better version of it. Xbox version use low buffer & dynamic resolution too. After all, it's not even 30 fps steady. Low buffer in the next generation it's ridicolous.

I think k you're right. I guess playing it at 30fps is like watching the game in slow motion. I just see more animated hair due to the lower fps. Just noticed today that the Xbox one doesn't have dof effects either.

Chinner

Banned
been playing this for the first time.

so the graphics are probably the best thing about this game. the weather and ambience effects combined with the lighting system makes the game look amazing, and the game actually has a pretty strong art style so far i've been consistently impressed by this. lara looks really good too, but her facial animations are pretty average, leading to a uncanny valley situtation. laras voice actor is okay, but they need a better voice director.

the gameplay is enjoyable, platforming is fun and i like the use of hub worlds and stuff. it doesnt do the linear/scripted stuff as well as uncharted, but the platforming you get in the hubs is quite nice and change of pace. the combat is pretty rubbish though, maybe i'm amazing but its SO easy to get headshots in this game. the a.i is just fairly static and theres just no feedback to weapons so yeah that's lame. not sure how replayable this will be, but ive tried the MP and it's pretty shit.

don't see the point of the levelling systen, some of the basic movies are pointlessly locked behind a XP wall (like melee combat, why??), but so far i'm just not feeling or seeing a difference in terms of weapon or skill leveling. the constant gratification notification is pretty pointless too.

so far i'd probably rank it a solid 7, yet to complete it but i am enjoying it so far.

Top Bottom