• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Damn her movement animation is pretty bad, I think someone mentioned earlier it looks like a female Drake. It does haha.
They've been trying to copy the ND character animation system already in Underworld. They failed badly there, and while it's better here, it's still pretty far behind in that regard.

Man, this is annoying! I've played for about five hours on PC, having a great time. Using a 360 controller. A few minutes ago I fast-travelled from one camp to another, and all of a sudden the game has decided to invert the Y axis when I aim weapons. And there's nothing I can do I fix it- I've combed the options. If I invert the Y axis in the options, it just inverts the camera controls as well. This kinda sucks.

Ricker

The Lost Adventurer Tomb,if you can call it that,that you get for one of the pre-orders is in the middle camp,once I got fast travel,I went back to the other camps anyway and did it,ok for a pre-order DLC I guess...game is pretty awesome so far...some collectables will be very hard to find I see,like those Ghost hunt things,only saw 1 so far...

This game, for better and worse, feels like "This Generation: Greatest Hits" so far. It's every major game mechanic and trait that got popular this gen wrapped up into one game.

-Third-person cover.
-It has all of the advances in animation and visuals we've come to expect from AAA games.
-"platforming" as a means of scaling huge levels.
-Arkham progression.
-Cnematic "setpiece" moments.
-Mildly pointless XP progression with upgrades.
-A terrible overabundance of QTEs (which are technically older than this gen, but found great proliferation this gen)
-Audiologs!
-Item upgrades points!
-COLLECTABLESSSS

It just feels like every major trend mashed into one. That's yielding some great results and some annoying ones, in my opinion. The game is good, although the 10/10 and 9/10 scores hailing it as the best of the generation are still sort of headscratchers for me. It's not the best of this generation (in my opinion so far, at least), it's the most of this generation.

george_us

About two hours into it and I'm it's pretty good. My biggest complaint though is how derivative everything feels. It's honestly a game that should of come out three years ago.

vidcons

Banned
What just happened in my game:

Lara shot a guy in the head. Lara gets her face pounded. Bad guy. Lara jumps into a giant pool of blood and looks like a new born killer.

10/10

Jarmel

Banned
This game, for better and worse, feels like "This Generation: Greatest Hits" so far. It's every major game mechanic and trait that got popular this gen wrapped up into one game.

-Third-person cover.
-It has all of the advances in animation and visuals we've come to expect from AAA games.
-It has cinematic "setpiece" moments.
-It has XP progression with upgrades.
-It has a terrible overabundance of QTEs (which are technically older than this gen, but found great proliferation this gen)
-Audiologs!
-Item upgrade points!

It just feels like every major trend mashed into one. That's yielding some great results and some annoying ones, in my opinion. The game is good, although the 10/10 and 9/10 scores hailing it as the best of the generation are still sort of headscratchers for me. It's not the best of this generation (in my opinion so far, at least), it's the most of this generation.

That's pretty much the game in a nutshell.

Derrick01

Banned
Welp that sounds bad. I hate Uncharted so I'll just skip this game.

I just did the first optional tomb (or first I found at least) and it was insulting. It took me about 40 seconds to figure out and it was just that 1 simple physics puzzle before getting the treasure.

And the game had the gall to call the achievement one smart cookie. Now I'm being mocked as well.

StuBurns

Banned
I just did the first optional tomb (or first I found at least) and it was insulting. It took me about 40 seconds to figure out and it was just that 1 simple physics puzzle before getting the treasure.

And the game had the gall to call the achievement one smart cookie. Now I'm being mocked as well.
I think I did the same one. The achievement made me chuckle.

The game has all the 'AAA' elements, but it does the well and in a cohesive package that's fun.

I buy games from Ni No Kuni, to Black Ops 2 and everything in between on numerous platforms, and I am thoroughly entertained by how this game plays.

Dahbomb

The game is good, although the 10/10 and 9/10 scores hailing it as the best of the generation are still sort of headscratchers for me.
Any game with abundant cinematic QTEs getting 10s or 9s in this day and age is too blatantly money hatted. It's a mechanic made popular in the PS2/GCN era with God of War and RE4 yet developers use this still because the press seems to love it. The critics really need to mark down games with QTEs extensively otherwise we are going to keep getting QTEs in our AAA games. At least they tried with RE6.

RetroMG

Just put about an hour into the game. Damn, I'm loving it. I never really got into Uncharted, but something about this game just rubs me the right way.

Saw that in one of the videos I think. I thought it seemed kinda insulting to the character, heh. Might as well have called the achievement "Hey, you're smarter than you look, kitten."

Magnus

-Third-person cover.
-Arkham progression.
-A terrible overabundance of QTEs (which are technically older than this gen, but found great proliferation this gen)
-Audiologs!
-Item upgrades points!
-COLLECTABLESSSS

This is....an excellent summary of the experience so far. Spot on.

jujubeads

Adventure?

No. Still very much alive in the indie world/PC market. Gone Home is probably one of my most anticipated games this year. Dreamfall Chapters resurrected the dream!

tomb raider always felt like a a series that occupied its own little niche to me. theres something about the mix of isolation, environment traversal and puzzles that i cant recall finding in any other game, though i havent looked very closely at either dreamfall or gone home.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb callin' out moneyhats

LOL
I will never give a game with QTEs over a 9 no matter how much money hats they lay on me. Bayonetta was the last game with QTEs that I gave a flat 9 to and even then I chopped off a good 0.5 for it. At this point they can lay on my dream DMC5 with Papa Vergil on me and if they put in QTEs I would still never rate it high.

Ricker

Like I said above in my post,this is the DLC pre-order Lost Adventurer Tomb hehe but yeah,that achievement made me grin also but I was happy since after playing like 2 hours,it's the first one I got...no worst then the finished the Tutorial achievements from other games ;)

sleepykyo

-Third-person cover.
-Arkham progression.
-Audiologs!
-Item upgrades points!
-COLLECTABLESSSS

It is the modern game of the generation. They took every single thing and dialed it to 11. Even scenes that John Woo and Michael Bay would find ridiculous.
I'm leaning toward calling Dark Souls or Demon's Souls the game of the generation and Tomb Raider the cinematic game of the generation.

Jtrizzy

Wow I'm liking this so much more with a controller. It's so much more fluid than Uncharted, but that could because I'm playing at 60 fps.

StuBurns

Banned
I will never give a game with QTEs over a 9 no matter how much money hats they lay on me. Bayonetta was the last game with QTEs that I gave a flat 9 to and even then I chopped off a good 0.5 for it. At this point they can lay on my dream DMC5 with Papa Vergil on me and if they put in QTEs I would still never rate it high.
You sound like the worst reviewer imaginable.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? That sounds very disappointing. So not a single big tomb encountered yet?
I've came across 1 large story related Tomb
( the part when she says she hates Tombs)
I'm only in the
Shanty Town
so I'm unaware if Theres more
You'll know when you reach it, truly amazing stuff.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I honestly cannot understand this mentality.

What is it about QTEs that bother you so much?

antitrop

This game doesn't exactly "hand out" Achievements.

4 hours so far and I only have 'One Smart Cookie' and 'Big Game Hunter'.

Dahbomb

I honestly cannot understand this mentality.

What is it about QTEs that bother you so much?
It's an overused bad game design that people associate with good games (RE4 and GoW as they popularized it). Any time there is a QTE you can replace it with an in-game mechanic or a cutscene/scripted event. It's especially great at breaking immersion in these "cinematic" games that go out of their way to remove HUDs.

Nothing like a big ol' Y flashing on the screen to remind you that you are playing a video game.

There are ways to make QTEs more organic to a game. Stuff like Devil Bringer/Buster or the Demon/Angel Pull in a DMC game is more in-line with a game mechanic than a giant X/Y floating on contact sensitive points in a game.

Frillen

Personally they popped up for me during the latter part of the game.

I actually just completed it. Pretty satisfied, looking forward to what CD can do with the next gen systems.

Would like more boss battles in the next one though.

Raxus

Wait until you get to the multiplayer one. One requires 60ish hours of gameplay...and is 20 points. Scratching that one off my 'to do' list.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah I only have those two and complete 1 challenge (I've done the challenges in both areas I've been in so far). Steam says I've done 4 hours too but I'm pretty sure at least an hour of that is me tabbing out to gaf, especially last night when I was incredibly bored.

KingKong

You know if this game was 70% challenge tombs and 30% combat and the 'easy' platforming, it would be great. As it is, it basically plays itself

Andrew.

Banned
I'm in the minority that really don't mind QTE's. Sure some devs do them better than others, but it's whatever to me. I like having them pop out of the middle of nowhere. It teaches you to stay on your toes and have a heightened sense of awareness of your surroundings.

Oh and I love the QTEs in RE6. Crucify me now.

I don't plan to get this anytime soon but from what I've seen of the game it looks fantastic and I love Uncharted so I will get it probably sometime later this year. Just don't have the money right now.

Anywayz: Wanted to post a video I made with my neice in my YouTube News Series. I do these videos for fun and they ain't really that good but if anyone wants to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYfZglh7OQ

I of course protect my neice. And most of the video is actually bloopers but whatever lol.

PS3 version here. Uncharted 2 really spoiled us all, by which I mean, it made me start expecting this kind of visual splendour, which is why TR looks just 'great' to me instead of stellar. I have to pause every now and then and remind myself just how awesome this all looks. Total treat.

When tons of shit is happening, fire/multiple enemies etc, the game gets muddy and starts chugging a bit. Not game breaking, but I know how sensitive some are to slowdown. No idea if it exists in other versions.

Which game did? I figured BS popularized it even if it didn't pioneer it. Should be standard by now.
Thanks.

mxgt

Banned
After about 3 hours of play.

Things I like:
Visuals are fantastic on PC
Great atmosphere
Exploration is as good as it can be in the relatively linear environments
Lara
The Tombs are okay, way too short though.

Things I don't like:
QTE's
Push forward segments
Combat is nothing special so far
Story doesn't interest me whatsoever. (I expected this, though)
Platforming is just as boring and easy as Uncharted
HERE HAVE 100 XP FOR THIS TRIVIAL TASK

antitrop

The QTEs on a keyboard are bullshit, but people may be making a bigger deal about it than it's really worth.

Either you hit E or you hit F, and the icon that shows up tells you which. It deserves to be fixed, but it's not THAT big of a deal.

Dead

well not really...yet
Collector's Edition swag:

xdXQejd.jpg

Lara Playarts Kai vs RE5 Sheva. Huge improvement in paint quality:

Top Bottom