• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, Playarts faces can be pretty rough. Sheva does look better in person, but that wiered black mask thingy is just...odd.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the minority that really don't mind QTE's. Sure some devs do them better than others, but it's whatever to me. I like having them pop out of the middle of nowhere. It teaches you to stay on your toes and have a heightened sense of awareness of your surroundings.

Oh and I love the QTEs in RE6. Crucify me now.

Yeah I don't mind QTEs either. The complaints about RE6's QTEs were waaaay overblown.

I don't know how they're handled here, but if they're anything like RE6 then I'll probably enjoy them.

antitrop

Yeah I don't mind QTEs either. The complaints about RE6's QTEs were waaaay overblown.

I don't know how they're handled here, but if they're anything like RE6 then I'll probably enjoy them.
Considerably less annoying, obtrusive, long, complex, and inane than RE6.

But still certainly not good.

I don't mind QTEs in general but this game has constant mash x to open/activate things.

I hate mashing a button more than just about any other AAA thing.

Skilletor

After about 3 hours of play.

Things I like:
Visuals are fantastic on PC
Great atmosphere
Exploration is as good as it can be in the relatively linear environments
Lara
The Tombs are okay, way too short though.

Things I don't like:
QTE's
Push forward segments
Combat is nothing special so far
Story doesn't interest me whatsoever. (I expected this, though)
Platforming is just as boring and easy as Uncharted
HERE HAVE 100 XP FOR THIS TRIVIAL TASK

You got 10xp for this post.

Dantis

I'm a few hours into this, and I'm loving everything about it. Definitely my favourite game so far this year, and I can't imagine anything topping it.

The most surprising part is how solid the combat is. I'm a big fan of Uncharted, but I'd say that TR's is a good deal better.

I love the little things like Lara talking about the relics that she picks up. It's such a neat little thing to add, but it makes them feel a lot more worthwhile to me.

Man, what a game.

I've played an hour and hated it. It's everything I don't like about modern gaming: huge budget but no risk taken, no originality. The new Tomb Raider reuses every gameplay mechanic that came to fame during this generation of consoles. It's super linear (levels sometimes boil down to corridor if not CORNICHES), there are too many fucking QTEs, there's cookie-cutter hollywood music that's supposed to make things more tense but it doesn't work when shit happens every 10 seconds (rocks/plane wrecks/angry locals/etc. falling down on Lara as she says 'Oh shit oh god oh shit') and the writing is so forgettable I ended up skipping all cutscenes (and I usually play games for their story).

Edit:

This game, for better and worse, feels like "This Generation: Greatest Hits" so far. It's every major game mechanic and trait that got popular this gen wrapped up into one game.

-Third-person cover.
-It has all of the advances in animation and visuals we've come to expect from AAA games.
-"platforming" as a means of scaling huge levels.
-Arkham progression.
-Cnematic "setpiece" moments.
-Mildly pointless XP progression with upgrades.
-A terrible overabundance of QTEs (which are technically older than this gen, but found great proliferation this gen)
-Audiologs!
-Item upgrades points!
-COLLECTABLESSSS

It just feels like every major trend mashed into one. That's yielding some great results and some annoying ones, in my opinion. The game is good, although the 10/10 and 9/10 scores hailing it as the best of the generation are still sort of headscratchers for me. It's not the best of this generation (in my opinion so far, at least), it's the most of this generation.
I hadn't even read that post when I wrote mine. You got my point completely - but I don't like the game at all.

Played the Multiplayer for a couple rounds. Not bad- feels very much like Uncharted. So much so that it makes me long for a co-op 'horde' mode. Too bad it's all competitive. I'd play the shit out of a team-based mode where you take on waves of enemies.

Anyone else get Resi 4 vibes from this game sometimes? I just got to the
shanty town
section, and having enemies just sort of swarm into various parts of the map and letting you escalate the action in multiple ways remind me of similarly classic setups/scenarios in Resi 4.

Really enjoying this game, it's not the most challenging one around but it more than makes up for it in terms of atmosphere, production values and sheer whooping at the screen balls-out fun.

I've played an hour and hated it. It's everything I don't like about modern gaming: huge budget but no risk taken, no originality. The new Tomb Raider reuses every gameplay mechanic that came to fame during this generation of consoles. It's super linear (levels sometimes boil down to corridor if not CORNICHES), there are too many fucking QTEs, there's cookie-cutter hollywood music that's supposed to make things more tense but it doesn't work when shit happens every 10 seconds (rocks/plane wrecks/angry locals/etc. falling down on Lara as she says 'Oh shit oh god oh shit') and the writing is so forgettable I ended up skipping all cutscenes (and I usually play games for their story).

Edit:

I hadn't even read that post when I wrote mine. You got my point completely.

That's a mishmash of mine and his posts, haha. I was confused for a second.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Played the Multiplayer for a couple rounds. Not bad- feels very much like Uncharted. So much so that it makes me long for a co-op 'horde' mode. Too bad it's all competitive. I'd play the shit out of a team-based mode where you take on waves of enemies.

Get your Microsoft Points ready.

Considerably less annoying, obtrusive, long, complex, and inane than RE6.

But still certainly not good.

So what you're saying is, I'm going to love them?

Comes into the Tomb Raider thread to spread family video in order to get hits on YouTube...

You serious bro?
What? I post videos where I talk about a game on YouTube on their release dates and then post them on NeoGAF. Whats wrong with that? This video is a sorta parody on the "Protect Her" meme so it is related to the topic. I create these videos because I have fun createing them and usually share them when it relates to a new game release. I don't see the problem with sharing a video thats related to a topic about said game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's installing on my 360 now.

it'shappening.gif

Amazon preorders came with a slipcover that houses the game and artbook. Artbook itself is kinda skimpy, but oh well.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Damn after further investigation.. the mp trophies SUCK. Need to get max level 3 times. How about...no. It's fun been everybody! Enjoy the game!

Andrew.

Banned
What? I post videos where I talk about a game on YouTube on their release dates and then post them on NeoGAF. Whats wrong with that? This video is a sorta parody on the "Protect Her" meme so it is related to the topic. I create these videos because I have fun createing them and usually share them when it relates to a new game release. I don't see the problem with sharing a video thats related to a topic about said game.

In all fairness, your original post was basically: "Check out my video of my niece doing current events stuff thats part of a series I do". In no way did that post mention any sort of connetion to Tomb Raider, or the "Protect Her" joke going around. I mean, you could see why anyone would else after reading that would be like, "Uh, what?".

But anyway....

1 more hour til I can sink my teeth into it.

Oh and forgot to mention the soundtrack.

Mostly because it's utterly forgettable.

Yeah, the music is not great. I was really excited when the game first opened to the scene with Lara hanging upside down, because the music there was some really cool harsh noise. Unfortunately, it's just for that scene, and it becomes sort of a background cascading-strings-I'm-Hans-Zimmer! style thing.

The music when (early game spoilers)
you climb the radio tower
is the first part where I actually took notice of the music in the scene, and it worked pretty well. It was still a bit generic, but it at least took command of the moment.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
smelt some pig hooves into a Sickly Chiseled Branch of Wood for you Upgraded Bow (PARTS OBTAINED, UPGRADE AT CAMPFIRE)

I know what you are getting at, but animals give you XP only. You upgrade your gear with salvage. Just sayin'.

Love the sound work put into this. Speakers cranked up the gun shots just sound great. Combat isn't difficult but it's fun. I enjoy shooting a runner in the leg as he charges me, he drops to a knee while I run up, smash his head in with a rock, then slip into cover and get a head shot on the archer across the way (seriously best implementation of a cover mechanic I've seen yet). This is the first time for me that controlling Lara has been a ton of fun and just feels fluid.
Lara's progression from regular Jane to killer feels very 80s action movie, I appreciate how fast it moves. So far I love how they're keeping exposition to a minimum, conversation are short and sweet so we can get back into exploring, climbing and/or shooting. Great pacing.

Clearly if you were a fan of the puzzle oriented nature of the original, this is not going to be your cup of tea.

Lime

This game is pretty boring and I'm almost at the end. It feels like it has almost no identity and there aren't many things that gives me good reason to care about it.

Sidenote: In case people think I am biased in any way before playing it as I've been openly critical about it before its release, know that I am honest and upfront about a game, especially if it is good, and I have given this one several chances. Unfortunately it continues to fail throughout.

Andrew.

Banned
I enjoy shooting a runner in the leg as he charges me, he drops to a knee while I run up, smash his head in with a rock, then slip into cover and get a head shot on the archer across the way (seriously best implementation of a cover mechanic I've seen yet)..

Sounds excellent!

JoeFenix

Game is really going downhill for me,
Shantytown was just a bunch of bland lazy combat waves and the fortress after that is just boring explosions and pointless filler fights

The game really could have benefited from more of a Lara vs nature feel instead of killing 500 insane psycho dudes.

I thought it started off well but now it just feels really empty, the combat is completely throwaway at this point since there is ZERO resource management involved.

You just headshot everything left and right or counter anyone that gets close.

The game really wishes it was RE4 too, had to laugh at
Ghetto Saddler
!

It's a shame honestly, it had ALOT of potential and the first couple of hours were really promising but now it just feels like a generic straight to dvd movie.

It's really polished and some of the environments look amazing but at this point I really hope it gets interesting again because I don't even feel like finishing it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Game is really going downhill for me,
Shantytown was just a bunch of bland lazy combat waves and the fortress after that is just boring explosions and pointless filler fights

The game really could have benefited from more of a Lara vs nature feel instead of killing 500 insane psycho dudes.

I thought it started off well but now it just feels really empty, the combat is completely throwaway at this point since there is ZERO resource management involved.

You just headshot everything left and right or counter anyone that gets close.

The game really wishes it was RE4 too, had to laugh at
Ghetto Saddler
!

It's a shame honestly, it had ALOT of potential and the first couple of hours were really promising but now it just feels like a generic straight to dvd movie.

It's really polished and some of the environments look amazing but at this point I really hope it gets interesting again because I don't even feel like finishing it.

You just finished the worst part if the game and are going into the best.

RagnarokX

Heh, I got to that part after Lara becomes a killer where you hold up to watch her climb a cliff. If you rapidly tap up she will slide up the cliff instead.

RagnarokX

gifs required please

I rented for PS3 from redbox. Don't have capture device.

I took this pic of the redbox, though:
iAqytWG.jpg

"Lara Croft is back! Find her at Redbox!"

The QTEs are so terrible, just make them a cutscene. The little input they give you is meaningless and sometimes comes out of nowhere so fast that you fail just due to lack of clairvoyance.

Linius

I'm absolutely loving this game so far. Just finished the part where you need to get the bagpack, from the mission they showed us somewhere last year to get us all hyped.

Only thing I dislike so far are the QTE's. I almost never get them right the first time and they just annoy me. And this one time it was also very unnecessary...

...during the bagpack mission you must get out of the cave again and you stumble upon a wolf. Why can't I just kill it with a bullet trough the head instead of an QTE? :(

Other than that everything is great!

StuBurns

Banned
Played more, so good. I'm really enjoying it so far, the shitty first half hour was pretty misleading. Who knows, because I'm not far in, but as of right now, it's better than UC2.

Played more, so good. I'm really enjoying it so far, the shitty first half hour was pretty misleading. Who knows, because I'm not far in, but as of right now, it's better than UC2.

In what way? U2 was great to me because of the characters, refined shooting and graphics/sound.

I think Tomb Raider has quite different strengths besides graphics.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I did the insane and did a long live-stream of Tomb Raider due to some free time, and beat the game in 19 hours in one long play session. Got 91% completion.

I think my least favorite parts of the game were actually the beginning and the ending. I actually absolutely adored the middle section, and loved the emphasis on both Action and Adventure. At first I thought it felt pretty to-the-book, but I liked how they opened up more ideas and its own feel as the game progressed. Linear scripted levels opened up to actually really large hub-world like levels with lots of optional stuff, brainless puzzles actually got progressively more challenging into more fun and creative ones (though most seemed to have been stuck to optional missions), and there were some really fun and nice set-pieces.

However, I felt the story was nothing special, and like how I felt the beginning was to-the-book and stale, I felt the ending segments of the game (outside of a semi-interesting late-game enemy) felt disappointing to the things that came before, and hardly original. I felt the antagonist were also extremely underplayed and ultimately uninteresting
especially the 'Stalker Oni' and the Sun Queen. Stalker Oni, despite his name, barely ever stalks you and felt like, while they did a great job building him up, never actually did anything interesting with him. A shame, so much potential. The battle against him was fun, but felt out of place with the type of enemy he was built-up to be and a shame up until that point he served very little importance at all to gameplay. The onis in general didn't really seem to fit the description the notes tried to describe them as. And don't get me started on how underutilized the Sun Queen was.

Despite all of this, I did very much enjoy the game, and especially loved the exploration element of the game which stood out very strongly in this game, starting in the mountain village area.

If I had to rate it, I'd give it an 8. I do feel the game could of risked more on creativity in some areas. I felt that they were holding back creativity in some areas. I also wish there was more of the puzzle gameplay in the main game. It's almost surreal how different the tombs feel to the main campaign.

KingKong

Its really amazing how much better the gameplay in the challenge tombs is than the regular game. Its almost like the old Tomb Raider formula worked perfectly!

Dr Dogg

Forgot I pre-ordered this so was a pleasant surprise seeing it sat there on the door mat when I got home. About an hour in and loving it so far, QTE's aside. Loving the island setting and getting a very R-Point vibe to it(South Korean horror film set during the Vietnam war). So far so good and this new version of Lara has made Jason Brody seam like a whinny bitch.

Jarmel

Banned
That final image. Oh god, if there is any definition of amateur hour, that's it. The story really is piss poor, mostly due to how bland it is.

Top Bottom