• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Different strokes, I guess. I don't see any threat in the environment since Lara can't miss a jump, there's ammo everywhere, and Lara is apparently Laura Kinney in disguise. I'd save my comparisons of The Road to something like The Last of Us, which actually does look like a game of survival.

I thought the platforming was supposed to be better than Uncharted :<

The game does have mad atmosphere, though. The island has character in spades.

Still good to hear. How is the exploration? I'm not gonna pretend that you aren't just looking for more MacGyver fodder, but at least getting there could be fun. Is it mostly walk along a barely hidden linear path, turn around a corner, and crawl through a bush, or is there more to it?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So yeah got it, 3 hours and something so far.

not liking what I'm playing so far,the game is all over the map(does it get any better?)

vidcons

Banned
The one, main question I have:

Does it feel Metroidvania-esque?

It's more like a Final Fantasy game where you go down every little path in a dungeon because you're afraid you'll miss something important even though you already know it'll be just some useless garbage you sell to a vendor.

e; half the game is traps revolving around light nets on fire so they drop crates that you break open for CASH.

Skilletor

Still good to hear. How is the exploration? I'm not gonna pretend that you aren't just looking for more MacGyver fodder, but at least getting there could be fun. Is it mostly walk along a barely hidden linear path, turn around a corner, and crawl through a bush, or is there more to it?

So far it's just this, but I'm really early and have hope that it'll grow to be something more.

It's more like a Final Fantasy game where you go down every little path in a dungeon because you're afraid you'll miss something important even though you already know it'll be just some useless garbage you sell to a vendor.

e; half the game is traps revolving around light nets on fire so they drop crates that you break open for CASH.

Fire is definitely this game's push-block puzzle. When in doubt look for something to set on fire.

antitrop

which button do I press? I am playing the pc version, they don't even tell you :(
When he is pointing the gun at you, mash E to turn it on the guy. Once it is lined up with his face press Left Click to shoot him. It's very easy.

It is total bullshit that the game doesn't show you which key to press, though.

antti-la

With QTE:s you must wait for the moving object to get fully inside the circle before pressing F or E (on pc), whichever is asked, if you press too early, you will fail. Got me a while to figure that out and failed some qte:s numerous times in the beginning.

After a slowish start the game really gets better and holy fuck is this game awesome in every possible way. Don't remember when I have been this immersed to a game. I had almost started to think that I'm over video games as nothing have really grasped me in a long time. Tomb Raider made it, who would have guessed.

Unity2012

After a couple hours in, playing it on X360 on a 55"LED; I must say it looks good, runs well and the game has been interesting so far. I really like it.

The reason I mentioned the TV size is because I started playing it on my PC monitor (Samsung PX2370), and it looked darker and a bit muddy; switching it to the bigger screen made a big difference with lighting and overall look.

If I could change something--and its a personal preference not a complaint, it would be the in-game menu; It could be simpler and more practical.

As a long TR fan, I was a bit skeptical since I first heard tha CD was changing the TR formula; but so far I like the new look and feel.

I hope they receive a prosperous welcome from fans--and continue developing the character into what fans love about TR games, the sense of Adventure; less shooting and more platforming exploring, great puzzles and fighting outrageous creatures, not just wave after wave of men. Good luck CD and Congrats for taking a good risk and revamping the franchise.

strafer

Does anyone have these bugs that when you run into those green smokes or getting shot my screen gets black for a couple of seconds, fucking annoying.

Mangotron

OMG I CAN't PASS the fucking rape sequence

I had that problem too, I couldn't fucking figure out what button to press. Ended up just switching to a 360 controller since the button labels are much easier to read.

No it's a rape scene. They just didn't want to deal with the implications of people failing on purpose.

I disagree, there wouldn't be anything rape-y about it if the main character was a guy. If anything, the guy with the gun comes across as blood-lusty more than anything.

calder

Played for two hours last night on PC, really really liked it a lot. Exploring the mountain was great, and I enjoyed the combat and stealth gameplay so far.

Skilletor

She'll still magically fly to every ledge, but the world opens up more and as a results the platforming gets/feels more complex.

Even if she does have magnetic hands, it'd be nice to get some sequences that require me to run and jump in quick succession.

antitrop

The atmosphere is incredible and I'm actually enjoying using the map and Detective Mode to find all the little trinkets. It's cool when you have to rotate them around to find additional clues, as well.

Enemy AI seems dumb to non-existent, though. So many times I've been standing 5 feet in front of them lining up a perfect headshot with the Bow, while they just sit there.

fuenf

The atmosphere is incredible and I'm actually enjoying using the map and Detective Mode to find all the little trinkets. It's cool when you have to rotate them around to find additional clues, as well.

Finding additional clues and hearing Lara comment on them made all the difference in the world to me. In games like Uncharted I never even looked at the artifacts but hear I'm really into it.

People who've finished the game, how many actual fully-sized tombs comparable to previous games, are there in the game? I heard somewhere there are only 2, the rest are just small rooms.

Is that true?

Magnus

I will say this. I honestly thought I was going to get sick of Lara really quickly, but I am finding myself endeared to her in surprising ways. The character's great.

hawk2025

For those who are deep into the game, should I play this on Hard, if Hard was my preferred difficulty for a first playthrough of both Uncharted 2 and 3? Any super frustrating parts?

Jarmel

Banned
For those who are deep into the game, should I play this on Hard, if Hard was my preferred difficulty for a first playthrough of both Uncharted 2 and 3? Any super frustrating parts?

Play it on Hard. It's about equivalent if not easier than Uncharted's normal.

antitrop

This game is such a treat to play on PC. I'm lucky enough to have played 3 hours so far without a single crash, just lucky I guess (Nvidia GPU, w/ Tessellation on, TressFX and Exclusive Fullscreen off).

Jtrizzy

Yeah I'm switching to a controller, the qte's are a pain in the ass on the kb. "Mash left and right" Seriously? and it doesn't tell you which buttons they are (f&e) and even once I figured that out it I was still dying. I use my g-13 for most games, and when I'd remap the keys it'd say "press button 0" instead of F or E.

I do like the game quite a bit with the exception of the QTE's. It looks phenomenal and runs well with Tressfx off.

dreamfall

This game is such a treat to play on PC. I'm lucky enough to have played 3 hours so far without a single crash, just lucky I guess (Nvidia GPU, w/ Tesselation on, TressFX and Exclusive Fullscreen off).

When I turned VSync off, I turned everything to Ultra, and played with TressFX on. Not a single crash for hours- granted, I wish they'd patch it soon so I can turn VSync back on but I can't complain.

Beautiful game- the atmosphere does feeling a bit unsettling, but it's strange because Lara doesn't seem to be in any real danger from the enemies. I was having a lot of fun just creatively coming up with ways to kill enemies- switching from completely stealth to all out melee. I tend to really enjoy the running about/looking for hidden objects more than the combat anyway.

Edit: While experimenting with 2xSSAA, sometimes hidden objects in the menu (where Lara comments on them) were completely invisible.

dreamfall

All these comparisons to RE4 and Uncharted don't really do it for me.

In odd ways, clearing a Story moment and coming back to search for artifacts and complete challenges reminded me of Arkham Asylum more than anything.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Apparently the game's takin a beating on the GB live quick look lol.

Damn her movement animation is pretty bad, I think someone mentioned earlier it looks like a female Drake. It does haha.

Top Bottom