• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Andrew.

Banned
Still in this initial beautiful forest area hunting stuff down.

All of the animal bodies stay there after you kill them. They never disappear. Very impressive to me. Thats some Red Dead shit right there.

Darkkn

Sound design is phenomenal. Foley sounds are excellent(most games are lacking IMO), soundtrack creates great atmosphere and combat sounds make the game that much more intense.

PC hair tech looks a bit silly, but otherwise the game has been thoroughly enjoyable so far.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I stopped playing for now,this is one of very few games that forced me to just stop,I just can't really take more of this,game bored me and there are many things I dislike here so far and the game seems to refuse to click in with me.

it's just like 5 hours but so far

+Shooting is decent.
-Too many fights,too many action.
-Stupid AI for enemies.
-Way too easy.
-Do the same thing again and again.
-Story is very weak full of cliches and so predictable
-New Lara feel unrealistic,not Robot-like lara but non human.
-Collectable are uninteresting,I just don't care to get them in this game.
-Pacing is all over the place.
-most of the areas look the same.

So yeah, not liking what I've played so far,but will return to it tomorrow,hope it get better/click with me.

Any way to break crates with your pry axe? I mean not the ones where you go up to and press square but other crates that can be broken with the bow or gun.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm still pretty early but the game has been pretty great so far. Lol at those who wanted to see this fail.

Crystal Dynamics revived a franchise that was B- territory for a while.

fuenf

WTF is wrong with the multiplayer? I just tried it for the first time and it actually looks competent, unfortunately it runs like total shit. The framerate is abysmal and players are lagging all over the place?!?! I mean what were they thinking, it's clear that they sunk a lot of money in the multiplayer part of the game and it looks / feels like more than a simple tack on. But why would they release it in a near unplayable state?

Derrick01

Banned
I stopped playing for now,this is one of very few games that forced me to just stop,I just can't really take more of this,game bored me and there are many things I dislike here so far and the game seems to refuse to click in with me.

+Shooting is decent.
-Stupid AI for enemies.
-Way too easy.

So yeah, not liking what I've played so far,but will return to it tomorrow,hope it get better/click with me.

Yeah I don't even think it's that terrible, but it's far from good. I have to stop every 45 minutes I play because I just get so bored that I can't take anymore. All of the tension they try to create with fake jump scares or platforms falling apart is meaningless when you know there's a 0% chance of failing, and the combat is wait for guy to stick his head up and pop him. It's just so been there done that.

fuenf

Yeah I don't even think it's that terrible, but it's far from good. I have to stop every 45 minutes I play because I just get so bored that I can't take anymore. All of the tension they try to create with fake jump scares or platforms falling apart is meaningless when you know there's a 0% chance of failing, and the combat is wait for guy to stick his head up and pop him. It's just so been there done that.

that might be part of the problem.

G-Fex

+Shooting is decent.
-Stupid AI for enemies.
-Way too easy.

I'm with you I'm ...not feeling it and I just begun.

DukeBobby

Just reached
Shanty town

My god, the frame rate is all over the place. It's been a smooth 55 - 60 FPS up until this point (with a few small drops here and there)

+Shooting is decent.
-Stupid AI for enemies.
-Way too easy.

The game is so incredibly inoffensive that it does almost nothing to hook people in that can get past its good looks.

I'm enjoying it a tad more than you are, though.

jimi_dini

Was there a robot Lara?

Core Lara never felt robot to me. Stylized and videogamey yes, but never a robot.

I'm really sad. First a new hitman...and I'm not interested in that anymore. Even 10pounds sale don't get me interested. Now exactly the same with the new Tomb Raider. :(

Tankshell

This puzzle is the work of Satan.

It may singlehandedly bring my score of the game down an entire point. I haven't been this frustrated by a video game in... years?

I just don't understand why people are having trouble with this at all.

Did this on my 2nd attempt, total time about 2 minutes.

Is it not blatantly obvious the 1st flap opens before the others for a reason? Like... y'know, a sign as to when you should trigger the platform?
Sheesh. Maybe I'm just more intelligent than the rest of you :0)

Dahbomb

Totobeni I disagree on your last two points. The pacing in this game is rock solid and there is enough variety in the environments. Plus they almost all look stunning and are dripping with atmosphere.

Persona86

Banned
Still in this initial beautiful forest area hunting stuff down.

All of the animal bodies stay there after you kill them. They never disappear. Very impressive to me. Thats some Red Dead shit right there.

Good I hate it when games make dead things disappear, it really takes you away from the immersion.

antitrop

I just don't understand why people are having trouble with this at all.

Did this on my 2nd attempt, total time about 2 minutes.

Is it not blatantly obvious the 1st flap opens before the others for a reason? Like... y'know, a sign as to when you should trigger the platform?
Sheesh. Maybe I'm just more intelligent than the rest of you :0)
I'm not sure what intelligence has to do with it. The solution to the puzzle is completely obvious as soon as you walk into the room.

Wakes up hanging in massacre room full of mangled bodies hanging from the ceiling with blood and bodyparts in large piles spluttered about.
"What is happening here?"

The tone of this thing can be quite weird. It's like partway serious and the rest of it just don't give a fuck.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Awesome! Just got to bit when
Roth dies, omg his guns they're Lara's dual pistols
Nice touch

Lime

People getting
brutally killed, massacred and turned into cannibals.

contra

Enemies when getting hit by an assault rifle = "ouch that hurt!" like out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

This game doesn't know the importance of tone. It's woefully inconsistent.

Tankshell

I'm not sure what intelligence has to do with it. The solution to the puzzle is completely obvious as soon as you walk into the room.

So then why did you find it frustrating? Once the solution to the correct timing is solved its a simple jump from a to b followed by a shuffle round a ledge...

This game, for better and worse, feels like "This Generation: Greatest Hits" so far. It's every major game mechanic and trait that got popular this gen wrapped up into one game.

-Third-person cover.
-It has all of the advances in animation and visuals we've come to expect from AAA games.
-"platforming" as a means of scaling huge levels.
-Arkham progression.
-Cnematic "setpiece" moments.
-Mildly pointless XP progression with upgrades.
-A terrible overabundance of QTEs (which are technically older than this gen, but found great proliferation this gen)
-Audiologs!
-Item upgrades points!
-COLLECTABLESSSS

Survival Vision.

TripOpt55

My % says 27 and I'm going to give some brief impressions. I love the island and the atmosphere and the graphics make for for a really beautiful place to look at. The history of the island seems pretty neat. Lara is cool too to me.

I wish platforming was tougher. It is simply too easy. Not just in a jumps are too easy sort of way. I think it needs some hazards/traps like the recent games had. Make timing important at least. The couple of optional puzzles I have enjoyed and I wish they would have put some on the main path. If they are afraid of scaring off some folks that don't like to think by putting them on the critical path, I figure that is what that survival instinct is for.

I still think it is fun to jump around and explore environments. I'm also someone who generally likes collecting stuff though they go a bit overboard. Why they would make one collectible reveal the location of others I don't know. I just try and never look at the map if I get the locator thing unlocked.

I think the balance has been alright in that I don't think I've fought that many enemies yet. Encounters aren't very long usually. But it is still more than in the old games. I do think the auto cover system works well and the bow is a lot of fun to use.

I am having a good amount of fun so far, but there are definitely some things I wish were different.

Was at target earlier and they have the steelbook edition, was so tempted to buy it but im gonna wait for a price drop as im strapped for cash at the moment.

Top Bottom