• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

That said, yes the game takes a shitload from Uncharted.
Also:

* Collectibles also give off that little gleam so you can spot them from a distance.
* The multiplayer, although it has a few of its own wrinkles. But the UI and 60 levels and unlockable character skins are very Uncharted.
* Emphasis on combat over puzzles. What puzzles there are seem to be very simplistic and small.

Alfredo

Played the game for two hours and I think it's really great so far.

I've never played a Tomb Raider or Uncharted game before, so I guess a lot of this stuff is new for me.

My favorite thing to do in video games is explore and find secret stuff, and it seems like this game has a lot of that. I'm really into it.

Only stuff I haven't liked so far are some of the QTEs. I failed the "dude choking you" one three times. Baaah.

Tankshell

As a Naughty Dog fan this literally makes me sick. Sony should sue...

So we can expect the next Tomb Raider game roughly 2 years after the release of the next Uncharted game... once they've had time to play and and replicate the 'good bits'?

At least they borrowed their ideas from the best in the business I guess. Hell I'm really enjoying the game.

Anilusion

Seriously? Some things in that video are hilarious

*Wooden houses burn easily
*Dead guys live in tombs

No shit?

Copying uncharted for using unstable platforms, ziplines, narrow spaces, sinking ships? It's not like uncharted invented those things.

This seems like a troll video if anything (maybe your post is as well, hard to tell on the internet).

Tomb Raider -> Uncharted -> Tomb Raider

As a Naughty Dog fan you should kneel down and kiss Lara's boots (or Core Design's boots). If it wasn't for Tomb Raider you may never have what Uncharted is today. So many games take from other games, get over it and just enjoy.

B-Dex

Figured I'd give multi a shot before taking a break... first match total lag fest. Second match de-synced while loading and I had to turn off my PS3.....

Enemies when getting hit by an assault rifle = "ouch that hurt!" like out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

This game doesn't know the importance of tone. It's woefully inconsistent.

To be fair, I laughed my ass off the first time I shot a guy in the leg and he yelled "ouch!"

I wonder if it was a placeholder they left in as a joke, or something. It happens every now and then and makes me giggle every time. They just sound mildly annoyed.

Dave1988

Marvelous, I've just run into a game breaking bug. I've acquired the Rope Ascender and now I'm required to use it on the create to bring it down which creates a passage to the lower decks of the Endurance. Problem is, everytime I use the Rope Asceneder the crate glitches out and never drops down thus making it impossible to progress farther. I've tried reloading my checkpoint and resetting my console. Nothing helps :/

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The video recording bit is stupid, in Tomb Raider Lara watches those that was recorded on the boat, ie added back story
They ain't even video playbacks in Uncharted, it was elaina looking through the camera while recording Drake at the beginning of a cutscene
I love both games but like before they are both different and have their own identity
Uncharted is a lot more combat action based too

strafer

dat team

lara_croft_conceptsusxa.jpg
nathandrakex9sgz.jpg

Alright I am restarting the game over on PC because the screenshots thread is killing me. What do I have to know about the QTE's on keyboard so I don't blow a hole through my comp.

sleepykyo

In what way? U2 was great to me because of the characters, refined shooting and graphics/sound.

I think Tomb Raider has quite different strengths besides graphics.

Better pacing and not throwing waves after wave of enemies. Or at least it seemed that way.

Where's the difference between Uncharted & Tomb Raider ...

I know that sometimes it's way too easy to cross the line between "inspiration" and "copying" but come on...

Eh, I don't know. The found footage thing has been fairly common in horror films the last few years. It could have just as easily been Cloverfield, Grave Encounters, etc.

Underworld had a sinking ship as well. And a lot of other stuff is fairly common.

I wouldn't disagree with any conclusions that Tomb Raider doesn't bring anything new to the table though.

Alright I am restarting the game over on PC because the screenshots thread is killing me. What do I have to know about the QTE's on keyboard so I don't blow a hole through my comp.

Left, right, mash e for struggles, time with the circles(actually can be mashed though) f for kicks.

SmithnCo

Uncharted is a staple of Naughty Dog, and it's not right for another company to basically copy and paste the game and call it their own. Hopefully Sony will sue or something, because this is so wrong.

haha, JOKES

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is the classic Tomb Raider theme in the game?
You know what, so far no but the Theme that is in it does sound like its teasing it with 3 notes like its about to play it but then changes, done on purpose?

Keep noticing these stupid little things. Like, throughout the game Lara's shown freezing and shivering. Take a jacket from one of the guys you killed then you dummy. For your health.

Not seeing it on search for me yet, uuurg.

I can see it on the actual site.

Anyway I think I'm gonna do it. I think I'd love it. I was going to use my Gamestop credit toward a 3DS, but I've decided to wait on more color options and to see if they reveal another hardware revision at E3.

"Once I get off this island I'm gonna eat the biggest pizza you've ever seen. It's gonna have pepperoni, sausage, fucking steaks on it, a leg of..."

*Lara chokes guy who was talking*

*The guy who was listening keeps walking*

Teleporter

Guys, i cant play the game cause it crashes all the time on my Nvidia gpu, but what ive played so far its gonna be a great adventure!

One thing bugs me though... in the cgi intro when Lara is traped underwater someone crashes the window and saves her but the continuity of the shot there`s no one running with her... wtf! Whos that guy? where is he when she runs for the jump... Can someone figure this? It was a mistake? Bad continuity? Bad cut? Lara`s hallucinating? anyways ima Director so i pay attention to these kinda things... Rock on!

beast786

You have to be blind not to see same animation, ledge grasping, auto platform, QTE, set pieces copied from uncharted. The thing that also make uncharted unique is its sense of humor and character which this games lack also the art work and research done by ND on uncharted is absolutely amazing if you do research on culture and history of those region.

That being said. I am loving it. I love uncharted and am Loving this also. TR done a nice job here.

"Once I get off this island I'm gonna eat the biggest pizza you've ever seen. It's gonna have pepperoni, sausage, fucking steaks on it, a leg of..."

*Lara chokes guy who was talking*

*The guy who was listening keeps walking*

Maybe he knew his friend was dead, he was just relieved that he wasn't talking about food anymore.

I want a pizza

DieH@rd

Banned
This puzzle is the work of Satan.

It may singlehandedly bring my score of the game down an entire point. I haven't been this frustrated by a video game in... years?

How can you be mad at that puzzle? Its very easy.

Platform mechanism is too fast. If you open the window and then immediately start the platform, it will go trough its cycle before the strongest wind kicks in.

Open window, ~wait for a opening of 2nd window, start platform, jump on it, jump on a ledge. I did it in one try.

Top Bottom