• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Man, multiplayer is so fun but so abusable. I just spent an entire round spawn trapping the entire team. They literally spawned the same spot every time.

I wish you could shoot in air, glad they took out hip firing.

antitrop

How can you be mad at that puzzle? Its very easy.

Platform mechanism is too fast. If you open the window and then immediately start the platform, it will go trough its cycle before the strongest wind kicks in.

Open window, ~wait for a opening of 2nd window, start platform, jump on it, jump on a ledge. I did it in one try.
That's not even how I beat it.

Lime

To be fair, I laughed my ass off the first time I shot a guy in the leg and he yelled "ouch!"

I wonder if it was a placeholder they left in as a joke, or something. It happens every now and then and makes me giggle every time. They just sound mildly annoyed.

And that's the thing: You have these incredibly macabre scenarious which should hold a lot of dramatic weight, yet simultaneously you experience this Uncharted-like laissez-faire humour. It makes the experience very jarring, as all of that macabre, dramatic shit is thrown out the window. When people are
dying right and left, getting butchered, turned into cannibals,
and what have you, while other parts are a Saturday morning cartoon, any gravitas becomes non-existent.

And that's the thing: You have these incredibly macabre scenarious which should hold a lot of dramatic weight, yet simultaneously you experience this Uncharted-like laissez-faire humour. It makes the experience very jarring, as all of that macabre, dramatic shit is thrown out the window. When people are
and what have you, while other parts are a Saturday morning cartoon, any gravitas becomes non-existent.

Ew... that's a good point. I completely agree. It sounds like the tone is just all over the place.

I don't disagree, I just can't take the game's tone that seriously anyway. It's cloying and melodramatic from minute one.

The atmosphere is fantastic, but I pretty much tune out every time someone opens their mouth.

Lime

Seeing how all enemies are male, I'm wondering if any comparison with A Question of Silence is feasible. Although Tomb Raider isn't feminist at all, I just find it funny that Lara runs around and butcher only men. It's a peculiar design decision.

I don't disagree, I just can't take the game's tone that seriously anyway. It's cloying and melodramatic from minute one.

The atmosphere is fantastic, but I pretty much tune out every time someone opens their mouth.

I know, I wasn't making an argument, only elaborating further. Good point about the atmosphere contra the dialogue and plot.

saunderez

Seeing how all enemies are male, I'm wondering if any comparison with A Question of Silence is feasible. Although Tomb Raider isn't feminist at all, I just find it funny that Lara runs around and butcher only men. It's a peculiar design decision.

It's explained in the story why all the bad guys are men. There's a specific reason.

Do you shoot women in Uncharted? I don't remember any.

Maybe it's a black comedy :p

How far in the story are you?
There's definitely a reason why all of the enemies are male, and there is dialogue that acknowledges it. I think there is some attempted women-in-the-media commentary, I'm just not sure how effective it's going to end up.

Also that's the first time I've seen someone namedrop AQoS on the internet, damn.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's not even how I beat it.

iOXNMK9gyJOUI.gif

Well, at least you did not break game disc in frustration. Carry on with the game, it gets better with each passing hour. :) [and its great even at the beginning :D ]

katkombat

Banned
Okay I've poked fun at this before, but seriously, I wanna protect Lara...protection...I have it.
Anyways this game kicks ass! The subtleties in it are unreal, I love it. Gunplay is satisfying too.

Rhindle

I love the first time Lara runs into some of the other survivors. After she's been shipwrecked, had a stake through her abdomen, nearly been eaten alive by a zombie, and had 17 other near death encounters, she finally finds her buds and it's "Hey, wassup guys?"

Derrick01

Banned
Anyone else getting odd black flickering in some of the bushes or wall plants? It's something I notice every now and then. Nvidia gpu if that helps.

sublimit

Banned
Complete bullshit imo, they are strechting it in most scenes and even then they arent that similar. And it's not like Uncharted invented action scenes. There's a scene similar to the train one in almost every Michael Bay movie.

How is it "complete bullshit" and how they are "streching it"? It's not as if the person who made the video made the scenes himself/herself.
I guess if your not seeing the direct copying from Uncharted then you'll never see it even if CD goes out and directly admits it.

The Tomb Raider AI is a special kind of shittiness that I haven't seen in a long time.

Doesn't even bother me that much, somehow, I'm still loving the game and it's fun to shoot people.

Ha yeah me too. Funny enough even though Far Cry had some abysmal AI as well it was still so entertaining to off everyone that I never really cared.

Lime

Do you shoot women in Uncharted? I don't remember any.

It's much more neutral to have same-sex killing. Opposite-sex killing is much more more 'loaded' or at least potentially more controversial.

It's explained in the story why all the bad guys are men. There's a specific reason.

How far in the story are you?
There's definitely a reason why all of the enemies are male, and there is dialogue that acknowledges it. I think there is some attempted women-in-the-media commentary, I'm just not sure how effective it's going to end up.

I'm about 3/4 of the way, I think.
I am currently at shipwreck beach.
I'll see how the game explains it, but regardless of the diegetic premise of only male characters, I'm curious about on what grounds that decision was made.

I love the first time Lara runs into some of the other survivors. After she's been shipwrecked, had a stake through her abdomen, nearly been eaten alive by a zombie, and had 17 other near death encounters, she finally finds her buds and it's "Hey, wassup guys?"

Yes, that particular thing made the story begin on a low note for me. From that point on, it sure was an uphill battle for the game to convince me to buy into the story and characters.

Grimsen

Caved in after work and got the game. I don't know if it's the same for all retailers, but futureshop had the comic+some dlc, and the usual steelbook. Not bad for regular price.

The comic looks good visually, especially as a pack-in for a game.

As soon as my son is asleep, I'm going to perv like Conan. :D

SmithnCo

The Tomb Raider bundle on PSN is kinda nice. Get all the preorder stuff like the skins, and quantum conundrum (though that might've been free for plus).

Played multiplayer for the first time. It’s
surprisingly good! :O

What? Do you just pretend to see what you want to see when someone posts something negative about this game? My criticisms have always been about the quality of the game. If I said anything about the game bombing I said I wanted it to and used Hitman Absolution's commercial failure as hope.

I specifically remember you saying “when this game bombs."

Darkangel

I'm ~5 hours in and loving it so far. Definitely better than Uncharted 3.

Game is pretty easy on hard, but it's still a lot of fun. It's nice to finally see a big, AAA Tomb Raider game.

Top Bottom