• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Grisby

Holy crap. Only a bit into this (first campfire) and there's some oppressive atmosphere going on. I feel like Drake would have made 10 quips already and Lara hasn't said a word.

Also, one neat graphical touch that me me go, "Shit CD." (first couple of minutes spoiler)
When you are first set free and you have the torch you go into a tight corridor. The way Lara scratches the surface top wall with her hand.
Loved that.

Holy crap. Only a bit into this (first campfire) and there's some oppressive atmosphere going on. I feel like Drake would have made 10 quips already and Lara hasn't said a word.

Woah, can I have your copy!?

But yeah, the atmosphere is fantastic. The island is really well designed, and some of the key moments (the bunker opening up, for one) after the iffy tutorial section are great.

sublimit

Banned
I've had enough of this game for one day.

My thoughts, it's alright. I'm not enjoying it too much.

If you treat it as a new IP do you think it would be more enjoyable?

I mean if i pretend that the game is named Commando Raider and the main character's name is Suzan Drake will i like it more?

Lime

Personally I'd say that the game's combat would benefit from going towards more quality over quantity. Right now it is simply predictable and entirely forgettable (I'm playing on Hard). Instead of having lots of enemies all the time, thus rendering encounters entirely meaningless, then make fewer, but more difficult and unique encounters à la Demon's/Dark Souls/Shadow the Colossus. This would make the combat much more engaging and memorable, rather than "video game combat encounter # 121312"

If you treat it as a new IP do you think it would be more enjoyable??

I've never been able to get into any of them, so I don't have hardly any experience with the franchise on the whole. I played Underworld for a couple of hours, it was okay but I lost interest pretty quickly.

Personally I'd say that the game's combat would benefit from going towards more quality over quantity. Right now it is simply predictable and entirely forgettable (I'm playing on Hard). Instead of having lots of enemies all the time, thus rendering encounters entirely meaningless, then make fewer, but more difficult and unique encounters à la Demon's/Dark Souls/Shadow the Colossus. This would make the combat much more engaging and memorable, rather than "video game combat encounter # 121312"

Great point.

G-Fex

I mean if i pretend that the game is named Commando Raider and the main character's name is Suzan Drake will i like it more?

Not really.

I hate the cast of characters, like the other poster listed in their list, it's cliche and trying way too much to be cinematic , sorta like resident evil 6 but without so much explosions and more falling and getting hurt.

This game only made me want to play Condemned, where a willing guy is able to beat the shit out of these kind of enemies with a pipe.

I'm not enjoying myself too much really and it's just really unfortunate.

sleepykyo

Evil Deadita (not the remake) it is. ie. It may been intended to be serious horror, but people usually just laugh instead.

I actually think the combat is really fun, there's just a little too much of it given the grimness of the game. Once you get melee + shotgun it feels supremely badass, although I'm not sure if "supremely badass" is something that should happen in a game about someone not wanting to kill anyone.

antitrop

Oh god, multiplayer is atrocious.

Single player only for me.

Okay, now I have to try it just to see for myself.

Got queued up in a TDM, went 7-3. Had a pretty decent time.
I think it's actually pretty good, but I certainly won't play it. I don't like multiplayer in general.

4 on 4 is a good number, the design of the map that I played was very good, and it only takes like a good 3-4 shots to kill someone. I hate games like Halo where you have to pump 50 bullets to kill someone. This feels better to me.

Yes. If you can't like it for what it is instead of what it's not you must be super hard to impress. It’s a very polished well made game.

RagnarokX

Your copy must be glitched, Lara won't shut up.

Speaking of glitches, I just encountered a really weird one:

(Mid game spoilers)
I just did the escape from Chasm Monastery and slid down the cave into the pool of water. I was holding both sticks on the way down, and as soon as Lara hit the water the camera teleported to Lara standing on an island inside the cave running around in circles for a second, then it teleported back to Lara emerging from the water.

For me this is the case with most games. I could never replay the infamous games for example because Sucker Punch's idea of "challenge" is just sending hordes of bad guys at you at all times. It made those games feel like a total chore to me.

sublimit

Banned

Well yeah but Uncharted is not like that. :p
It would have also been harder to include a tacked on MP if the SP game had this kind of combat.

G-Fex

Maybe it's cause I don't like the Uncharted games that much.

I like this a bit more than them. Well I only played the first uncharted.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've played this for about 8 hours now and I really enjoy it. It reminds me of Resident Evil 4, but with a livelier aesthetic and sleeker event moments. The upgrading system is also scratching that itch I've had since RE4, where you aren't constantly struggling for the next upgrade, but it also isn't easy. You've got to work for those extra points and really look around to find the items. I definitely see myself playing this for awhile, upgrading everything, getting all the achievements and finding all the secrets.

The only problem I have it right now is that it's a buggy/crashy game. I'm sure it'll be patched in soon enough, but that's a bummer.

meta4

Whoever thinks this is anywhere remotely close to UC2 needs to hand me whatever it is they are smoking. UC2 campaign shits on this from a huge height. The locomotion stage and chapter 16 alone shit on the whole of TR.

UC3 is understandable since UC3 is terrible.

Where's the difference between Uncharted & Tomb Raider ...

I know that sometimes it's way too easy to cross the line between "inspiration" and "copying" but come on...

Haha.

This video should largely be taken as a joke. That's not to say that TR doesn't rip a hell of a lot from UC in seemingly spurious ways (nearly identical shooting model, etc), because it clearly does. And hey, that's not a bad thing, BUT - and please bear with me here...

One thing that did stand out in that video was Drake's impeccably delivered line at the end: "Thank god for tunnels!". It struck a chord with me; a chord that made me smile and remember fondly the experience that was UC2.

Now, I think we can all admit to a certain extent that these "cinematic action games", by definition, are somewhat empty. Basic and sometimes automated core mechanics married with scripted events and flair. And it is because of this that things like characters and setting and writing and plot all occupy a bit more of centre stage than usual.

Drake's quip made that fundamentally uninteresting, albeit entertaining scripted event just that little bit more special than if Lara were to have gone through the same thing; conversely, she would have spouted some redundant monologue about the objective at hand = bleh.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that lame, automated shit that relinquishes control from the player is a lot more obvious/painful in TR than it is in UC, purely because of context. The style and the mood that ND nailed lends itself far better to this specific genre than what CD went for, in my opinion. And when TR apes UC so unashamedly with its cinematic flair, the comparison is unavoidable.

Yep. I know. Hugely subjective point to make and maybe I haven't even articulated it well. And let's not forget, TR is being compared to UC2 here - a unanimously acclaimed game - because it is mechanically and fundamentally solid/good (and even better than UC2 in some regards), but with this genre, the overall package is pretty important. TR does not nail the package.

Dicer

Banned
Lol at all the Uncharted hate, series is great (save for 3 kinda)

So far this game is pretty amazing, I shut TressFX off because it was garbage, otherwise it's running pretty spiffy on my rig.

Giantbombs quicklook did not go too well lol

5taSiPW.jpg

tombrashsof.gif

gb23v1syz.gif

sublimit

Banned
Yep. I know. Hugely subjective point to make and maybe I haven't even articulated it well. And let's not forget, TR is being compared to UC2 here - a unanimously acclaimed game - because it is mechanically and fundamentally solid/good (and even better than UC2 in some regards), but with this genre, the overall package is pretty important. TR does not nail the package.

The footage in the video is from all three Uncharted games. :p

Lime

Not at all. I think it's a fair point to make and you provide sufficient reasons for it, imo. Tomb Raider (so far) falters in the narrative department in many important areas: poorly established character motivations, lack of internal coherence, downright offensive stereotypes in the supporting cast, uncalled for witty dialogue, contradictory/fluctuating tone, and poor narrative excuses for gameplay design (e.g. "this guy just so happens to have all your weapons and also be the only one protecting your objective"). Uncharted 2 gets away with many of its gameplay failings because of the well-meaning characters and somewhat stupidly witty dialogue, whereas Tomb Raider suffers for the lack of similar "quality".

The only thing that can save Tomb Raider's narrative for me right now is if it does a Spec Ops and Lara turns out to be a mirror of
Mathias
. They both share similarities, so I see this it a possible avenue, although I am aware of the incredibly slim chances. All in all, it just seems to be the only way that the game can save face for its relentless brutality and dehumanization of enemies. Since it has heavily lifted off Uncharted, I think it would be acceptable if it also borrowed from an even better game (Spec Ops).

~Kinggi~

Banned
Goddamn this game is incredible. Played for about an hour on 360. Love the atmosphere. So much detail everywhere. Still kind of feels like a Tomb Raider game even though it isnt. They put these music cues in there that sound like the same instruments used in the old TR games but never give me the damn theme. bunch of teases.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So Lara takes more of a beating than I ever remember Drake doing, or any platformer-inclusive TPS I can think of. Some of it is definitely her yelps and moans, but I don't remember Drake taking so many cut-scene tree-stab wounds or burns.

Kind of amazing that the game has only told me to find a health kit once so far, lol.

Ricker

Loving this game,about to climb the Tower...just one nitpick though...worst subtitles ever,they are so distracting that I may turn them off soon.

Only was able to play this for 45min total. I believe the camera/motion sway is causing my motion sickness. Looked on the forums and others have the same problem. Sleeping Dogs was the same way for me until a patch reduced the car shaking when driving.

Will have to sit this out until a patch includes a option to turn off the sway, which I'm pretty sure they will....hopefully.

TheExodu5

Banned
So Lara takes more of a beating than I ever remember Drake doing, or any platformer-inclusive TPS I can think of. Some of it is definitely her yelps and moans, but I don't remember Drake taking so many cut-scene tree-stab wounds or burns.

I like to call the game Lara's Torture Simulator.

Andrew.

Banned
Those trinkets hanging in the trees are hard as hell to spot. I could only find three. Found the first two maps so far though.

Atlantis

Absolutely loving the game so far. Encountered a bug in a cave leading to an optional tomb. Floor and walls disappeared and I ended up having to kill myself but jumping off the map. (PS3)

Do I need to wait before I can start swinging around my climbing axe? I'm feeling the need to scalp people.

Spazznid

Just think of the poor woodland creatures she hunts using her blood as lubricant.

I shoot all the animals with Incendiary shotgun. I make it a point to scream in bloodlust as I do so. It's how you survive. When that wolf comes around, also looking for it's meal in the plump thigh of a woodland creature, and he sees you displaying your power like that, he knows to step off.

antitrop

Absolutely loving the game so far. Encountered a bug in a cave leading to an optional tomb. Floor and walls disappeared and I ended up having to kill myself but jumping off the map. (PS3)

Do I need to wait before I can start swinging around my climbing axe? I'm feeling the need to scalp people.
Honestly, not very long. That upgrade can be achieved rather early. I got it ~4 hours in.

Top Bottom