• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

DukeBobby

Tomb Raider does not do that, at all, not even close. It's not on that level. But straight up, it's more fun to play.

Exactly. I absolutely adore Spec Ops, but Tomb Raider is definitely more fun to play.

However, when taking everything into account, I still think Spec Ops is the better game.

antitrop

I got Spec Ops free from GMG with my BioShock Infinite pre-order. It's worth the install, then?

Yes, it's my favorite game of last year and one of the most important games ever made. Especially if the term "narrative dissonance" has any impact on your perception of video games.

Played Arkham City? I think it sets the standard for third person exploration, combat, stealth traversal and cinematic styling driven by gameplay. Puzzles included.

I'm still basking in the afterglow of that masterpiece.

I beat Asylum, but only got maybe ~5 hours into City and moved on to other games. I would like to go back to it.

I'm early into the game, but it does already feel like that thrilling adventure you were waiting for in 2012, but never quite got.

There was a lot in 2012 that disappointed or at least didn't live up to expectations. A lot of sequels collapsing under their own weight.

I'm early into the game, but it does already feel like that thrilling adventure you were waiting for in 2012, but never quite got.

There was a lot in 2012 that disappointed or at least didn't live up to expectations. A lot of sequels collapsing under their own weight.

So... good?

Tomb Raider is better than Spec Ops.

I said it... that hurt. It's not nearly as profound, or important, or noteworthy, but it's a better video game.

Spec Ops was easily one of the best games of the year last year.

That's it. I'm buying this when I get home.

Spec Ops and RDR ultimately have the better ending and one's that truly impact the player and will do so for years to come. It's just the rest of those games tend to falter a bit in other departments I personally feel. Great games, but as stated above Tomb Raider is ultimately funner then both imo from a pure video game sense.

antitrop

Spec Ops and RDR ultimately have the better ending and one's that truly impact the player and will do so for years to come. It's just the rest of those games tend to falter a bit in other departments I personally feel. Great games, but as stated above Tomb Raider is ultimately funner then both imo from a pure video game sense.
Exactly how I feel.

Tomb Raider doesn't have the narrative satisfaction of either of those games, and therefore it will not "stay with me" in the way that those games did, but purely based on overall enjoyment Tomb Raider is just... so good.

To be honesty, I had 100x more fun discussing Spec Ops on GAF than I did playing it. The fact that there was so much to discuss, though, makes it one of the greatest games ever.

spekkeh

Banned
Only played it for a short bit as sadly the slides for my lecture tomorrow aren't going to make themselves. However, I'm really liking what I played so far (which is not much lol), game has crazy atmosphere. I don't care for the mission statements that are in your face all the time, but I really do love the fact that Lara's survival instincts are optional. So that you can try the solution to a problem on your own before switching it on. A much better way of guidance cueing than most other games do.

spekkeh

Banned
Exactly. I absolutely adore Spec Ops, but Tomb Raider is definitely more fun to play.

However, when taking everything into account, I still think Spec Ops is the better game.

Yeah that's a bit like saying Transformers is more fun than Requiem for a Dream (exaggerated of course). The fun gameplay is not what made Spec Ops great.

vidcons

Banned
what is happening on this page

tomb raider is now better than spec ops

asylum is good?

fuck all modern videogames discussion

Raptor

Exactly how I feel.

Tomb Raider doesn't have the narrative satisfaction of either of those games, and therefore it will not "stay with me" in the way that those games did, but purely based on overall enjoyment Tomb Raider is just... so good.

To be honesty, I had 100x more fun discussing Spec Ops on GAF than I did playing it. The fact that there was so much to discuss, though, makes it one of the greatest games ever.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world when reading things like this, for me "one of the greatest games ever" is the one that I had more fun "playing it" not "discussing it"

Your impressions for this game however are great, since I'm playing Spec Ops right now and I really understand why you love it so much, game story, dialogs, narrative, characters chat is really amazing, Im loving it.

Yeah that's a bit like saying Transformers is more fun than Requiem for a Dream (exaggerated of course). The fun gameplay is not what made Spec Ops great.

Are you saying Tomb Raider is similar to a Transformers movie? All fluff and no substance?

Dahbomb

Dodging while standing in the middle of a fire fight (no cover) is bad ass.

At this point I don't give a shit about the narrative and game play relationship... it's fucking shit but dodging in the middle of 3 guys melee + arrow attacks while throwing dust in their eyes and placing pick axes in their faces is fun as hell.

sublimit

Banned
So after my 60th try.... I figured out what I was doing wrong.

I was mashing Left/Right too fast and for some reason the next QTE wasn't even popping up. I slowed down my Left/Right input and the press F to kick the wolf QTE finally came up.

Absolutely unbelievable. The QTEs in this game are in a whole another tier of god awful.

Lol,oh my God this game is ridiculous.

Lime

It's a difficult thing to quantify, though.

In 10 years when I think back to this generation of games, I will think about games like The Walking Dead, Spec Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Dark Souls, etc. All are landmark achievements for games and move the medium forward towards an idealistic vision of what I want games to be.

Tomb Raider does not do that, at all, not even close. It's not on that level. But straight up, it's more fun to play.

Also, holy fuck that quote train.

Based on my own experiences with judging games I would definitely say that you should let the experience brew a bit more before making "grand" statements. Let your initial judgement sober up, clear your head, let it brew a bit, maybe even read up on other people's opinions/assessments, then compare them to your own emotions/thought when playing the game. Then finally you'll be more distanced and clear-headed when "judging" the game. The initial judgement might still remain, who knows, but the thought process will help you corroborate that judgement much better. It'll result in an informed and well-rounded opinion.

Are you saying Tomb Raider is similar to a Transformers movie? All fluff and no substance?

I'd definitely say that the Tomb Raider experience is like empty calories.

Only played it for a short bit as sadly the slides for my lecture tomorrow aren't going to make themselves. However, I'm really liking what I played so far (which is not much lol), game has crazy atmosphere. I don't care for the mission statements that are in your face all the time, but I really do love the fact that Lara's survival instincts are optional. So that you can try the solution to a problem on your own before switching it on. A much better way of guidance cueing than most other games do.
Yeah, the survival instincts icon isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It only pops up form time to time rather than sticking to the screen at all times like Uncharted puzzle areas. I'd still prefer an option to remove the UI hints and icons entirely though.

I think the worst UI element is the bell ringing followed by "SECRET TOMB AHEAD!!!" and a giant Tomb icon on the bottom, graffiti on the surrounding walls with arrows pointing at the secret entrance that it'd be near impossible to miss in the first place.

Just a bit of overkill there Crystal.

asylum is good?
Arkham Asylum and City are both phenomenal games.

antitrop

I feel like I'm in bizarro world when reading things like this, for me "one of the greatest games ever" is the one that I had more fun "playing it" not "discussing it"
Well, I already considered Spec Ops to be one of my favorite games when I played it at launch. Discussing it on GAF in exhaustive detail six months later just helped me understand why.

Yes, it's my favorite game of last year and one of the most important games ever made. Especially if the term "narrative dissonance" has any impact on your perception of video games.

The narrative dissonance is always in the back of my mind to some degree, even in games as enjoyable as Uncharted 2. The only real defense of it is suspension of disbelief. Looking forward to playing it now. I picked it because it was the only one in the list I hadn't played.

Which means TR2 will be fucking amazing.

Hope so, man. The AC series has done their best to lose me since, but that can't retroactively kill the fun I had with 2.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying it so far. The exploration, climbing etc is fun and the game looks amazing.

The story is starting to fall apart though. Lara goes from crying over her first death to genocide in a 2 hour window. They should've replaced most of the humans with wild animals or something to keep the early tone of the game going.

Also, getting pretty fed up of the fake scares every time I have to cross a bridge or walk on a platform. It's just annoying now.

Raptor

Well, I already considered Spec Ops to be one of my favorite games when I played it at launch. Discussing it on GAF in exhaustive detail six months later just helped me understand why.

Not to go off topic but I hope I can join that discusion when I finish it even if Im LTTP, I already made a decision in game that was hilarious and different as to everything in a TPS I have ever played, the dialog after that was incredible.

Anyway can't wait to play this game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I will say that so far the game doesn't really feel like it has much narrative dissonance (is this game journalists' new favorite term after Spec Ops bludgeoned them over the head with it?) as people make out. Yeah yeah, Lara goes from a scared little girl to shooting an entire island nation in the face, but it's not like they aren't trying to kill her at every turn.

It's more surprising to me just how well she can aim, but I guess giving her bad aim would not be fun for the player.

antitrop

I will say that so far the game doesn't really feel like it has much narrative dissonance (is this game journalists' new favorite term after Spec Ops bludgeoned them over the head with it?) as people make out. Yeah yeah, Lara goes from a scared little girl to shooting an entire island nation in the face, but it's not like they aren't trying to kill her at every turn.

It's more surprising to me just how well she can aim, but I guess giving her bad aim would not be fun for the player.
The more you play through the game, the more it does kind of become clear that Lara is an unhinged mass-murdering psychopath. There are plenty of situations where you say inside your head "Did she... realllllllyyy have to do that?", but she's still a damn lovable unhinged mass-murdering psychopath.

Dahbomb

I really have to wonder how the MP is going to play. Dodge is super good I mean you literally just dodge towards some guy firing and put sand in his eye to stun him and then line up your headshot nice and slow.

There are plenty of situations where you say inside your head "Did she... realllllllyyy have to do that?", but she's still a damn lovable unhinged mass-murdering psychopath.
There was a part in the game where you first get the machine gun and there's a guy trapped behind some rubble. You can kill him in cold blood or just leave him. I left him there. Plus a lot of scenarios in the game are kill or be killed so you have to do whatever it takes to survive. There was this one part where Lara actually tried to reason with the guys but they just coming at her with machetes.

Guys i have a few questions.

Is it really true that you need to kill animals to get the meleeskill?

Is Lara really crying for 5-10 minutes after her first kill?(and after killing the deer)

Is the Story complete bullshit?

Why is it better then Uncharted 2?

antitrop

I really have to wonder how the MP is going to play. Dodge is super good I mean you literally just dodge towards some guy firing and put sand in his eye to stun him and then line up your headshot nice and slow.
The best part about multiplayer, to me, is how quickly and easily you can take opponents down if you have a good bead on them. It seems very fair, like if you catch someone even a little bit unawares you will get the good clean kill on them. You really have to watch your back, because if someone gets you in your sights and you're not looking directly at them you will probably be dead before you can turn around.

Sort of refreshing for a multiplayer game. I suck at Halo, precisely because of how long it takes to bring someone down. Feels like forever in that game you're just draining someone's shields while spraying and praying. I was raised in the fields of Counter-Strike, it's just not my style.

The more you play through the game, the more it does kind of become clear that Lara is an unhinged mass-murdering psychopath. There are plenty of situations where you say inside your head "Did she... realllllllyyy have to do that?", but she's still a damn lovable unhinged mass-murdering psychopath.

Well and we see this in movie and games. I think the biggest reason it becomes so obvious and quick is because your working with a movie thats only 2 hours or a game that only last 10 they have to get players up to speed fairly quickly. Granted they could have filled up the first 4 hours of the game her just taking out enemies rarely, but I think for the balance of combat they went the way they did. Yeah it's a bit of a stretch, though I do feel like it's more along the lines of kill or be killed. As for those finishing moves, only one I ever really used was the dodge counter.:p Usually if I see them down with the icon, I either shoot them or carry on. I'd love to see a long 40 hour-ish RPG tackle this change over a span of the game with the final end hours the player becoming just sadisctic and empowered.

either the people i was playing with online had garbage connections or the game just takes a hit of slowdown online.
firing a gun face to face it slowed down like a N64 game 0_o

multi is ok so far.

haha i also got stuck and felt like an idiot on the bell part and was trying to tug the bell bymyself
grrrrrr

its good so far :D

Andrew.

Banned
Guys i have a few questions.

Is Lara really crying for 5-10 minutes after her first kill?(and after killing the deer)

1) No(?) I think I was kinda hammered at that point last night so my mind is a bit hazy on that one.

2) No

3) Not from what Ive played

4) Where'd this come from?

antitrop

Absolutely in films, as well. The Mummy is one of my favorite action-adventure films and all Brendan Frasier does in that movie is kill people with two pistols.

That's why I don't care in Tomb Raider, it's par for the course. Indiana Jones was watching Nazi bruisers get diced up by airplane blades and guy's faces melting off. It's a violent genre, by nature. Tomb Raider is just catching up. Even stuff like Romancing the Stone always fetishized the way people can die.

It just actually doesn't feel out of place at all for Tomb Raider, when compared to that. Only when compared to the previous Tomb Raiders, which were extremely tame.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Daaaaaaammnn...just listened to this week's bombcast portion about TR. It's a good think Brad 5-star Shoemaker reviewed it and not Patrick lol.

spekkeh

Banned

Yes I want to protect her.

When she was quivering by the campfire I definitely wanted to put my arms around her

boobs.

Dahbomb

No you don't NEED to kill animals but it's free XP and salvage stuff that can be used to upgrade. Just going through the campaign and killing people or collecting items is enough to unlock the melee skills. It's all tied to the same XP bar so whatever you are doing in the game you are rewarded for it by either XP or Salvage.

Um no she didn't cry at all for after the deer and she didn't cry that much after the first kill either. I don't even remember it all that well. After she gets her first couple of kills she says "I am surprised how easy it was". If you think she is mopping around too much you can press Space bar to skip.

I guess so, seems like standard video game affair here.

Better combat (I like the dodge and bow play), more open level design, grittier atmosphere and a character progression/upgrade system. While the campaign isn't as godly as UC2 in terms of presentation, there is more stuff to do in between and more areas to explore. It's a really close call between the two game, it's up to personal preference.

It just actually doesn't feel out of place at all for Tomb Raider, when compared to that. Only when compared to the previous Tomb Raiders, which were extremely tame.
I think that pill would be easier to swallow when Lara Croft becomes a more seasoned adventurer/killer. For the 2nd game I would have no problem believing she can take out a group of armed men and make crazy jumps... but for this game it takes a while to get adjusted to that.

Absolutely in films, as well. The Mummy is one of my favorite action-adventure films and all Brendan Frasier does in that movie is kill people with two pistols.

That's why I don't care in Tomb Raider, it's par for the course. Indiana Jones was watching Nazi bruisers get diced up by airplane blades and guy's faces melting off. It's a violent genre, by nature. Tomb Raider is just catching up. Even stuff like Romancing the Stone always fetishized the way people can die.

Speaking of this. I totally got similar vibes from the end sequence for some reason :)

I can't really comment on the story yet, but I don't imagine it's going to get far more engaging or deep than your average action film. That's fine, though. Hand me the popcorn.

The over the top violence is probably going to annoy me as well, because I think a more understated approach could really have been effective and more appropriate maybe. But I can live with it.

x-Lundz-x

iykrBt4nYGFJX.gif

This Gif is going to get some mileage put on it this year.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Is Patrick going all "gross! a woman in a videogame and there is blood, it's probably sexism!"

Nah, he's just totally calling the game out for being hand-holdy and inconsistent. Brad's actually like "I know I gave the game a good score but uh..the more you think back on it.." lol.

That's true. The Indiana Jones movies were pretty violent.

So yesterday I played from
Shantytown
until the
helicopter crash
, and I must say this game does a lot of stuff right!

Even though by this stage the game is very combat oriented, I don't really mind since I'm absolutely loving the control over Lara that i have during combat. Yeah okay, the enemies are complete dumbass bullet sponges, but I feel like a total badass as Lara.

Also, the whole sequence with the
Palace burning down
was awesome, even though by this stage it has been establised Lara is a superhuman and bad guys have no sense of self preservation lol. But it all felt very epic.

Top Bottom