• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

derFeef

Nah, he's just totally calling the game out for being hand-holdy and inconsistent. Brad's actually like "I know I gave the game a good score but uh..the more you think back on it.." lol.

Awww, boring :)
And Brad should not be so weak, I always align with his reviews the best so there's that.
Except Skyrim.

Better combat (I like the dodge and bow play), more open level design, grittier atmosphere and a character progression/upgrade system. While the campaign isn't as godly as UC2 in terms of presentation, there is more stuff to do in between and more areas to explore. It's a really close call between the two game, it's up to personal preference.

I agree and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It feels more dynamic and rewarding. I picked up the sand move as early as possible and from there on out I ignored cover much more unless stealth was an option.

Edit: The enemies aren't geniuses by any means, but I found that they moved enough that it was satisfying to catch them in the face with an arrow.

You mean this game ISN'T like Dark Souls??!! Glad mine's still shrinkwrapped!

*smh at the elitist BS around here sometimes*

Harder-than hardcore gamers, can get f***ed. I'm so tired of reading ass hurt replies from people who feel the urge to bitch and moan every time a franchise dares to try to market to a larger audience. First DmC, now this. If the game industry was even remotely geared toward the vast minority like some around here wish it were, it would have been dead years ago.

Andrew.

Banned
The Tomb Raider vs Uncharted thread. Came up a ton in there.

I don't see it myself, but I'm only 5 hours in, and I'm a stop and smell the roses and explore every nook and cranny kind of gamer.

I actually got more RDR vibes than anything, especially in that Coastal Forest just hunting stuff with my bow, plus the fact that the animal bodies never disappeared. Im still somewhat at the beginning though (Mountain Village) so we will see.

And yeah, I dont even remember the last time I played a game with pacing like this, although Arkham Asylum springs to mind.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I tried using the dodge against the first wolves you fight and they ended up chewing my face off. I don't know how to use it very well.

DieH@rd

Banned
There was a part in the game where you first get the machine gun and there's a guy trapped behind some rubble. You can kill him in cold blood or just leave him. I left him there. Plus a lot of scenarios in the game are kill or be killed so you have to do whatever it takes to survive. There was this one part where Lara actually tried to reason with the guys but they just coming at her with machetes.

If you kill him, she says to him: "Go to hell".

Harder-than hardcore gamers, can get f***ed. I'm so tired of reading ass hurt replies from people who feel the urge to bitch and moan every time a franchise dares to try to market to a larger audience. First DmC, now this. If the game industry was even remotely geared toward the vast minority like some around here wish it were, it would have been dead years ago.
Who are you talking to?

This is one of the few games to ever blow my expectations away. Some of the best pacing in a game in awhile, I couldn't stop playing. I used the bow for 95% of my kills and even the guns were fun to use.

The game looked amazing and rarely used the find things vision which is usually constantly running for other games. The puzzles were a little easy but I kind of liked not getting stuck for 10 minutes on something because I didn't see a tiny lever somewhere.

Fracas

#fuckonami

You probably weren't responding to my post about how difficult the puzzles are, but there is literally a puzzle where all you do is hold X 3 times and are rewarded with the "One Smart Cookie" achievement.

Sid

I'm a bit more than halfway through the game and while the first couple of hours seemed very promising the rest of the game while fun isn't as good as I expected,UC is way better than this game at pretty much everything.

Which makes no sense because he begs you to kill him, I let him suffer :p

Did ya know shortly after the radio tower
when the plane is coming down. I had subtitles on, and the chanting in the background apparently says "No one leaves"
Nice touch I thought.

antitrop

Sure as hell wasn't talking to me, either. I said I'm happy that we can have both Tomb Raider and Dark Souls together and enjoy them on their own merits.

So who the hell is he talking to?

You probably weren't responding to my post about how difficult the puzzles are, but there is literally a puzzle where all you do is hold X 3 times and are rewarded with the "One Smart Cookie" achievement.

Fair enough. That sounds obviously less than stellar but I'm still very impressed with what I've seen so far in this game. I'm not looking for an implimentation of "The Room" style puzzles in this game. Different strokes.

sleepykyo

The more you play through the game, the more it does kind of become clear that Lara is an unhinged mass-murdering psychopath. There are plenty of situations where you say inside your head "Did she... realllllllyyy have to do that?", but she's still a damn lovable unhinged mass-murdering psychopath.

Main reason I have no problem with her transformation. I didn't see a transformation to begin. I saw an awakening.

Probably doesn't help that system rewards up close kills and combat consists of Lara talking about how she is unstoppable while the bad guys are screaming for reinforcements because they're being lit up/torn apart.

Really love the atmosphere in this game. Unfortunately playing this on PC really makes the shoddy environments stand out. There is some bad geometry afoot here.

Sure as hell wasn't talking to me, either. I said I'm happy that we can have both Tomb Raider and Dark Souls together and enjoy them on their own merits.

Antitrop please tell me I am lttp here and people aren't actually comparing the game to DS in anyway.

I had subtitles on for a short while, but the stuff like "<shocked breath>, <slight breath>" every time Lara emoted at all started to make me laugh so I turned it off. Not to mention the subtitles are quite big, coloured and have black backgrounds. All stuff that's probably useful for people that actually need them.

antitrop

I had subtitles on for a short while, but the stuff like "<shocked breath>, <slight breath>" every time Lara emoted at all started to make me laugh so I turned it off. Not to mention the subtitles are quite big, coloured and have black backgrounds. All stuff that's probably useful for people that actually need them.
Some of the worst I've ever seen, as I mentioned.

So obtrusive that they completely take you out of the experience. I just put headphones on.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Fair enough. That sounds obviously less than stellar but I'm still very impressed with what I've seen so far in this game. I'm not looking for an implimentation of "The Room" style puzzles in this game. Different strokes.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I really like the game. I just feel that the incredibly easy puzzles are somewhat pointless. I don't want impossible ones, either, but there is definitely a balance to be struck.

derFeef

Really love the atmosphere in this game. Unfortunately playing this on PC really makes the shoddy environments stand out. There is some bad geometry afoot here.

Huh, I think the game look stellar on PC. I only had one part that looked a bit "unfinished" but that was only to be seen from the top of an building and if you look around closely.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I really like the game. I just feel that the incredibly easy puzzles are somewhat pointless. I don't want impossible ones, either, but there is definitely a balance to be struck.

There were 2 puzzles in UC3 that I am ashamed to say took me around 10-15 min to sort out.

Huh, I think the game look stellar on PC. I only had one part that looked a bit "unfinished" but that was only to be seen from the top of an building and if you look around closely.

I don't by any means think its a bad looking game but its not the top of the heap.
I think the IQ looks great but it makes a lot of bad textures, 2D bushes galore and modeling stand out.

On a unrelated note I really love Laura's design. I think they got her perfect.

Andrew.

Banned

Antitrop please tell me I am lttp here and people aren't actually comparing the game to DS in anyway.

We all just kinda got off the point for some reason. I forget how the discussion even got to the Souls games.

Edit: Oh wait, someone wanted to know what Videogame Superfan #1 (Derrick) thought of them. Why in this thread? Who knows.

StuBurns

Banned
If the guy who's responsible for the parachute thing is reading this thread, you're bad, and you should feel bad. I shall make it my life's mission to launder enough money to purchase Square Enix, and when sitting atop their shareholder throne, I shall have you ousted, you and your little QTE friend.

If the guy who's responsible for the parachute thing is reading this thread, you're bad, and you should feel bad. I shall make it my life's mission to launder enough money to purchase Square Enix, and when sitting atop their shareholder throne, I shall have you ousted, you and your little QTE friend.

hahahaha

antitrop

Not comparing, so much as contrasting. i.e., Tomb Raider hand-holding and guiding you the whole way vs. Dark Souls dumping you in and letting you figure everything out for yourself. Mostly about how each has its own place in gaming and that not all games need to be one way or the other, it's nice to have a range.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So far looks like the critics are right and it's the fan hype (and anti-sentiment) that's stupid here.

8.5 is right around where I'd put this. Extremely solid game (on hard at least) and enough to keep you entertained while nice to look at. If it actually broke new ground (either through gameplay or storytelling) I would easily give it higher being that the game is VERY solid. But this is all stuff we've seen before, just in a really really nice package. So 8.5.

Just make sure to give them a split second chance to do something random like quickly rotating their hips counter-clockwise to escape your punishment. When they fail your arbitrary test you can then feast upon their tears.

shpankey

not an idiot
Got it last night w/ the free MSFT points deal.

Absolutely loving it so far. Brilliant!

Had to put the kids to bed though. They didn't like me shooting Bambie. Sent them into a shriek of horror and they (3 & 6) went OFF on daddy, crying and screaming angrily at me.

As an original TR gamer, yeah, it's a lot different. But on it's own merit, wow, just wow. This game is A+ so far for me.

Dahbomb

I tried using the dodge against the first wolves you fight and they ended up chewing my face off. I don't know how to use it very well.
You can tap the button again to roll away. You really need to keep your distance against wolves and keep back pedaling.

Random drive by post is random as hell. Please continue to read ass hurt replies and continue to get ass hurt yourself while we play the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really liking this so far, but what in the hell were they thinking with the subtitles? Not even talking about the black box around it, but random ass colors. Had it go to some weird bright green and yellow as enemies were talking. Always like having them on but I'm keeping them off for this.

bitoriginal

Really liking this so far, but what in the hell were they thinking with the subtitles? Not even talking about the black box around it, but random ass colors. Had it go to some weird bright green and yellow as enemies were talking. Always like having them on but I'm keeping them off for this.

Haha yeah, the subtitles look like ones you put on the TV for deaf people here in the UK. Definitely could have been a little more subtle.

Grisby

I like how Lara's dodge is a freaking mad scramble across the ground. Also, there's some Alan Wake stuff going on there.

Played a few rounds of MP as well. Wasn't too hot on it at first but warmed up near the end of my session.

Haha yeah, the subtitles look like ones you put on the TV for deaf people here in the UK. Definitely could have been a little more subtle.

Yeah, they're awful, and whenever there's a second line, it starts to cover up whatever is going on on screen. I actually prefer subtitles off anyway... if playing a game is all I'm doing. But years of leaving podcasts on 24/7 has left me really uncomfortable during extended periods of silence, which means I almost always have a podcast playing in the background which makes sorting out dialogue challenging without subs.

I like how Lara's dodge is a freaking mad scramble across the ground. Also, there's some Alan Wake stuff going on there.

Played a few rounds of MP as well. Wasn't too hot on it at first but warmed up near the end of my session.

Yeah I get a bit of a Alan Wake vibe as well which is great.

Does anyone know if the comic is available? I'm wondering where to buy the game. One website says its an in game exclusive if I buy it with them but I can't find any info about it online.

The hardest puzzle to come out of this whole thing

So random lol

Random drive by post is random as hell. Please continue to read ass hurt replies and continue to get ass hurt yourself while we play the game.

Listen, my post in retrospect does come off as random. I scanned a couple of negative things in this thread after spending a bit too much time on another board FULL of complaints about how this game is basically a nerfed, piece of trash. I thought I was seeing the same thing here. My bad.

Top Bottom