• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Lime

How do the console versions fare against the PC port? I want to get this down the line some time, but I cannot decide on the platform. I have a gaming PC that can run this baby at everything cranked up to eleven, but I'd rather play it on the couch on my PS3.

Any impressions on that note?

Get a Bluetooth adapter, hook up the Dualshock as a 360 controller, launch Steam Big Picture mode and play the PC game on your couch.

I'm happy to see all of your preconceptions about the game confirmed, must feel good.

What a reductive counter-argument to my listed problems. Why not try to actually state something worthy of discussion instead of such bullshit troll attempts?

As I already mentioned earlier in the thread, people should know that I am open towards a game. Just because I have been openly critical of the game before its release does not automatically entail any pre-conceptions nor does it invalidate my highlighted criticisms. I have given this game many, many chances. I would have loved to be floored by the game. I would have loved for the game to be as good as to have me posting 16 Oprah gifs. Unfortunately that ended up not being the case and I am now simply calling a spade a spade.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm happy to see all of your preconceptions about the game confirmed, must feel good.

I doubt it does. I'm certainly taking no pleasure in seeing all of the things I said would be in the game. Another huge mass market AAA game offering almost no gameplay of any depth is not a victory for anyone, regardless of what "side" they're on.

burgerdog

How do the console versions fare against the PC port? I want to get this down the line some time, but I cannot decide on the platform. I have a gaming PC that can run this baby at everything cranked up to eleven, but I'd rather play it on the couch on my PS3.

Connect PC to TV and game on the couch?

Mileena

Banned
Honestly can't believe a game with this many horrendous QTEs is getting so much love on GAF. No idea what they were thinking with some of these.

*not even 2 hours in yet

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

PS3 version looks great, very sharp with lots of great effects.

REV 09

About 3 hours in. Can't for the life of me figure out why this game isn't clicking for me. It looks good and plays pretty well, but something about it is just boring.

Visceir

There is that one useless male character with glasses (Alex) who wears same type of shirt Nathan Drake did in the first Uncharted trailer. I wonder if that was deliberate and the developer's way of poking fun at Uncharted.

[*]Straight up offensive supporting cast. Direct and straight-to-the-point black woman? Indian guy with intuition for the mystic? Distant scientist/professor with no regards to ethics? Grumpy Irish drunkard? I cannot for the life of me imagine a creative person sitting in the writing team and saying "okay, so we need a calm Indian, a loud-mouthed Black, an Irish drunk! Let's get started!"

Who the hell is this supposed "mystic Indian" NPC?

What is interesting to see is some gamers perceptions of always wanting the next game that "Makes you think outside the box" or "blows you away with amazing storytelling" when in reality, sometimes games are just really good at doing what they're aiming for and not what YOU want out of them. I love a good game that has a powerful ending or theme (SPEC OPS) but to say I can't enjoy another game just as much for other reasons shouldn't be understandable. That's sometimes the feeling that's brought out with these conversations I think.

Honestly can't believe a game with this many horrendous QTEs is getting so much love on GAF. No idea what they were thinking with some of these.

*not even 2 hours in yet
Because those mostly dissapear. That's why.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

*not even 2 hours in yet

I don't know if I've actually managed to get past a QTE without dying multiple times so far. They are easily the worst one's I've encountered since like... Jericho? Yea probably jericho.

At least they put checkpoints directly in front of each one.

jbttwin

The framerate was kinda stop motion-y at times - especially during cutscenes. Besides that it's a gorgeous game that plays pretty well.

- Played on PS3.

sleepykyo

Full scale. So on game-play it is average-above average and then got docked down to below average since Lime seems to values the story/writing in a game far more than most.

Nothing in it was wrong.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So what I'm getting from the recent posts are...I should go play Spec Ops.

spirity

There's a lot of cribbing going on in Tomb Raider. But even though everything it does has been done before in other games (from CoD, to Uncharted, to Dark Souls etc), it comes together as a pretty neat and seemless package. Lara herself is really likable and I found it pretty easy to suspend my disbelief and let the game carry me away, even though she's gutting a deer one minute then slicing some dude up the next. The island is tremendous, I've often stopped for a minute just to look back on where I've come from, or in some cases, forward to where I'm heading.

I haven't finished it yet, and I'll be sad when I do. I was never a TR fan, but that's probably going to change now.

Lime

Full scale. So on game-play it is average-above average and then got docked down to below average since Lime seems to values the story/writing in a game far more than most.

Nothing in it was wrong.

Full-scale? I can't believe people are trying to discredit my criticisms with this trite bullshit argument. If you disagree with my criticisms, point them out, try to provide counter-examples or -arguments.

How did you infer that I deemed the game above-average? Mechanics in terms of combat was average/decent. Actual platforming and puzzles were inane, as already mentioned. Thus, the "gameplay" is simply not above average.

Finally, the fact that I emphasize the story/writing/theme in this particular game is thanks to the game itself emphasizing those things. If it didn't, I wouldn't be calling out the lack of quality.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There are far more people enjoying the game than otherwise. Like TPS games? Play Tomb Raider. Don't? Don't.

I just meant I've heard Spec Ops mentioned a lot here and with it free on Plus it looks like my next go to game. I know what I'll get with TR, so I'll get to it eventually.\\]

Yes. And Arkham City.

And hell, Mark of the Ninja too. :)

You must not have seen my shiny Arkham plat. Though no 360 so I'll never get to play the other game.

Full-scale? I can't believe people are trying to discredit my criticisms with this trite bullshit argument. If you disagree with my criticisms, point them out, try to provide counter-examples or -arguments.

How did you infer that I deemed the game above-average? Mechanics in terms of combat was average/decent. Actual platforming and puzzles were inane, as already mentioned. Thus, the "gameplay" is simply not above average.

Finally, the fact that I emphasize the story/writing/theme in this particular game is thanks to the game itself emphasizing those things. If it didn't, I wouldn't be calling out the lack of quality.

You really do expect far too much from the average gaf post lol. Let it go, most people won't hit ya up with the reasoning you want. Let them do their drive-by and move on.

I thought of DS the first time i used a campfire. Maybe I'm strange. Is that not where save points are in both games?

Oh right, I had never made the connection before.. I probably would if there were big ass swords protruding from each campfire in Tomb Raider :p

sleepykyo

Full-scale? I can't believe people are trying to discredit my criticisms with this trite.

How did you infer that I deemed the game above-average? Gameplay in terms of combat was average/decent. Actual platforming and puzzles were inane, as already mentioned. Thus, the "gameplay" is simply not above average.

I'm sorry if it comes across that way, I'm not attempting to discredit your post. I misinterpreted it since your posts have traditionally placed a very high value on writing so I expected a larger impact on the score if the game play itself was merely average.

Mileena

Banned
I don't know if I've actually managed to get past a QTE without dying multiple times so far. They are easily the worst one's I've encountered since like... Jericho? Yea probably jericho.

At least they put checkpoints directly in front of each one.

I love the ones where they don't even tell you which button it is. I totally didn't die on that 5 times in a row. Can I just smash Zeus' head in already?

dreamfall

Its on Steam too. *bro fist* on the Arkham platinum. If I had played Arkham City when it came out there'd be no doubt that it would have been my GOTY.

Totally my GOTY 2011, but no Platinum! Wonderful experience.

In odd ways, I think this TR's handling of collectibles reminds me of it. But I agree with John Walker of RPS- it feels the best when you're exploring sections you've cleared at your own pace, without the narrative interfering. 10 hours in, slowly taking it all in. I want to reflect on Lime's criticisms when I'm done because they are all valid.

It's a strange thing coming to this game after Far Cry 3- TR is not entirely well written, but it feels like a masterpiece after completing the Jason "dudebro" trash.

I'm liking the story so far. Not the substance of it or the other characters so much as the approach and pacing and how scenes are given time to breathe. It isn't just the classic "OBJECTIVE UPDATED" prompt like in most games. Lara is given time to express her character in small and large ways - it's not cranked to 11 at all times like most modern action games.

I really do appreciate that. The sequence of events that have unfolded over my first five hours have kept me interested anyway, in a way better than most games and is something I could definitely see in movie form.

Maybe it goes downhill from here, but its been good so far.

So take my "review" of Tomb Raider as you will. You or others might be less irritated by a terrible plot in a story-centric game such as Tomb Raider than me :)
Its definitely fair to compare the actual game experience to how it has been marketed. The prime takeaway from almost every piece of pre-release hype centered around character and story and emotional attachment.

Lime

I'm sorry if it comes across that way, I'm not attempting to discredit your post. I misinterpreted it since your posts have traditionally placed a very high value on writing so I expected a larger impact on the score if the game play itself was merely average.

My apologies then. You quoted fuenf as a starting point, so that colored my understanding of your post.

However you are right that I do put more critical weight into the "meaning" layer of games than other people I could imagine. But this is mostly only in cases where the games in question emphasize and rely on this meaning layer. E.g. story-centric games, ranging in quality from Planescape Torment, Grim Fandango, Silent Hill 2 to flawed stuff like Heavy Rain, Braid, Mass Effect, etc., are more open to criticism than other games. Therefore I won't criticize something like Vanquish, Serious Sam, or Saint's Row for their plot.

So take my "review" of Tomb Raider as you will. You or others might be less irritated by a terrible plot in a story-centric game such as Tomb Raider than me :)

DieH@rd

Banned
How does an arrow explode a barrel?

Although in most situations bullets don't explode barrels either so this is just a follow up to a common myth.

Iron tip of the arrow colliding with the metal barrel, creating the hole and a spark at the same time. :D

Lime: spot-on with the narrative-focused criticisms. The characters are that terrible and the story utterly forgettable, BUT these are also facets that are 90% throwaway in 90% of games, so maybe so many points shouldn't be docked for that. Far be it from to me to invalidate your opinion, though, so thanks for the write-up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've been having a lot of fun with the combat. Thankfully Crystal Dynamics didn't pull a Naughty Dog with UC3 where they threw out enemy AI design out the window. I didn't expect the Alan Wake-ish level with the dodge, but I am definitely aiming to fill out that tree.

G-Fex

Nude patch!
falbavtjrxk.gif
:)

http://www.nudecreator.org/page2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1621#p17812

The Root of the problem

Varna

I've been having a lot of fun with the combat. Thankfully Crystal Dynamics didn't pull a Naughty Dog with UC3 where they threw out enemy AI design out the window. I didn't expect the Alan Wake-ish level with the dodge, but I am definitely aiming to fill out that tree.

I like that the enemies aren't bullet sponges either. They have nice hit reactions and a few well placed shots does the trick.

The combat is totally playing out like RE4/5 type encounters now too. I really like it but it just makes the design choices even more frustrating for me. This game really, at the very least should have had RE4 style ammunition reserves and management.

Lime

Lime: spot-on with the narrative-focused criticisms. The characters are that terrible and the story utterly forgettable, BUT these are also facets that are 90% throwaway in 90% of games, so maybe so many points shouldn't be docked for that. Far be it from to me to invalidate your opinion, though, so thanks for the write-up.

But that's the thing: Most of these "90% of shit-story games" don't rely on their story and characters as much as Tomb Raider. If the amount of cutscenes, dialogue, texts, radio chatter, banter, etc. weren't so high, I of course wouldn't mind it as much. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Its definitely fair to compare the actual game experience to how it has been marketed. The prime takeaway from almost every piece of pre-release hype centered around character and story and emotional attachment.

Not talking about marketing, but what is actually in the game.

Top Bottom