• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

antitrop

Does Shanty Town murder the frame rate on consoles, too?

It's literally worse than Blight Town on PC. Going from normally locked 60 down into the 20s, even. I'd say about 40 average, unless I'm staring at a wall.

G-Fex

I changed my mind. I suppose it was cause of my being in a bad mood yesterday.

Man, I love the gameplay of this game. I like it a lot, the weapons and the platforming and using ropes on bows and stuff. It reminds me of metroid or Arkham City/Asylum. It's so great.

I'm enjoying it more than I ever did Uncharted.

Necrovex

So I am about the halfway point (at least I think I am).
Lara just fell into the blood pool. Is it bad the first thing I thought is her probably having HIV now. I assume a lot of bodies must have been dumped there to create that much blood. And statistically speaking, one of those peeps probably had HIV. Man, I feel bad for Lara now; she's going to die young.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I caved in and bought this, played two hours this afternoon. I'm about to get to the radio tower

so far, I'm really liking it. They really did an amazing job with Lara's first moments, from camera angles, to music, to QTEs
I often found myself saying "poor lass!", Eidos really enjoyed throwing the biggest mountain of shit at her. These guys are sadistic

combat is fast and simple, there's a good sense of exploration, and voice acting is really good. Kudos to Camilla Luddington and whoever dubs Roth; best Yorkie accent I've heard in a videogame, maybe just a little bit toned down

all in all, I'm pleasantly surprised. Was expecting a turd, got one good game. Hopefully game keeps its consistency

Fracas

#fuckonami
After a few hours, here are some rough impressions:

-The controls are phenomenal. Seriously, good lord. CD nailed it
-Atmosphere and presentation are great
-Upgrading is nice
-Platforming, while easy, is interesting enough because of the setpieces
-Finding artifacts and reading about them is fun
-Combat is average at best
-The game as a whole is not challenging at all
-The puzzles are insultingly easy
-Sound design and graphics are very well done
-The supporting characters suck

Overall, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Plays like a more open Uncharted.

UC2>Tomb Raider>UC1>UC3

DukeBobby

Does Shanty Town murder the frame rate on consoles, too?

It's literally worse than Blight Town on PC. Going from normally locked 60 down into the 20s, even. I'd say about 40 average, unless I'm staring at a wall.

Mine would drop into the teens if I was facing a certain direction. As soon as I swivelled the camera around, it would shoot back up to 60. Really annoying.

UC2>Tomb Raider>UC1>UC3

I'm right at the end of the game, and this is still my order. It's rare to find a game these days that doesn't completely fall apart towards the end.

RedSwirl

I just played this game off of a GameFly rental. Probably not enough to get past the introductory settings (I just unlocked fast travel).

Man, I'm this close to swearing off big-budget games forever. Not all of them, just the ones that are trying to swing in the big leagues where they don't belong -- the games that are trying to be Call of Duty but aren't. I'm not saying this is a bad game, but I have had just about enough of every damn game incorporating the same RPG elements -- putting Call of Duty's constant carrot-on-a-stick features where they don't belong. It's gotten to a point where every time a game has a crafting system now I just groan in annoyance. The QTEs so far have been at least as annoying as I thought they'd be.

I say this as I'm in the middle of Ni No Kuni which has most of the same elements (including crafting), but there they seem to fit because I can tell this game was supposed to be an RPG from the start. It's not an action game with RPG elements on top of it.

The actual game underneath the AAA veneer from what I can tell is a kind of Uncharted clone but with some open-world elements. That could end up being the most enjoyable part of the game for me. I get what RPS said when Tomb Raider shines when you can actually jump off the beaten path and just run around discovering things, but you have to really tear away from the main plot in order to do that. I kept saying "hang on a minute" to a dude waiting on me as if Lara didn't give a shit about his problems.

In that sense, in my head this game is probably competing with Far Cry 3 more than Uncharted. FC3's probably the better game though. FC3 has all the same bloated features to be fair, but it gives me enough freedom to just have fun with the mechanics, so I spend a lot more of my time with the game having fun than being frustrated with the hand-holding. Does TR let you spend that much time just messing around too? If so I'll think about going for this game on a Steam sale or something.

What I hope developers learn about these open-world games is that people who play them primarily want to be left to their own devices once they learn the core gameplay mechanics. They mostly just wanna fuck around with the mechanics. FC3 understands this to an extent. So does Dark Souls. I really hope Ubisoft nails this with Assassin's Creed Black Flag as previews have been indicating.

Varna

Lara just fell into the blood pool. Is it bad the first thing I thought is her probably having HIV now. I assume a lot of bodies must have been dumped there to create that much blood. And statistically speaking, one of those peeps probably had HIV. Man, I feel bad for Lara now; she's going to die young.

lol

All depends on how long the blood has been there. I don't think HIV can survive outside of the body for more then a day.

So finished shanty town and after you clear out the waves of bad guys it's a pretty fun exploration level. Lots of hidden collectibles and tombs.

My only real gripe with the game so far is
how often Lara gets captured. All throughout shanty town I was like, if they go into another cut scene and get her captured, I'm going to get pissed. Complete the bridge sequence, bam she gets captured yet again. It's like the fourth or fifth time into the game, can't they write a better scene transition?

Dead

well not really...yet
Shanty Town is fun as hell to explore. The waves of enemies are also pretty fun thanks to the dodge + shotgun combo. Game remains amazing so far.

Tried multiplayer tho. Yeah, it's rough lol.

khustla

Banned
R u kidding me this is the first game of the year that has a triple a feel to it you can tell the developers put a lot of hard work and time in this

Beat it, 100% everything, loved it; however:

• Cover shooter without a dedicated button to snap into cover gave me some issues
  • This game has the worst soundtrack ever
  • Solarii Fortress checkpoints were terrible
  • Game really needs a survivor mode where you need food, water, medicine, less ammo
  • Damn that soundtrack was fucking gross

Loved it! More games should adopt this kind of formula.

Danny-Boy

Having finished this game a week ago and having some time to think about it, I honestly think this game was designed for 10 year olds. Not a single challenging moment in the game. When you jump over a ledge Lara will float in the air until she makes it to the other side, you can't miss it. The longest puzzle in the game was probably the elevator and that took all of 3 minutes to figure out. The other puzzles weren't really puzzles, just rocking something back and forth until it catches on fire and a cut scene takes place. The enemy AI is dumb and easy to pick off, sure they flank you but they take cover with their heads hanging out for easy kills. When they get close just evade and QTE, too easy. Also sometimes I literally stood out in the open with an enemy and let them have free reign over me and 90% of the time they missed. Such an easy game getting so much praise is worrying.

golem

Shanty Town is fun as hell to explore. The waves of enemies are also pretty fun thanks to the dodge + shotgun combo. Game remains amazing so far.

I really found the combat fun in this game.. the cover mechanic works fairly well, Lara is pretty agile and the open levels (where alot of the big fights go down) reward you for staying on the move.

Lara is going through a lot :( and its her first adventure, how did the other tomb raider games happen, if i were her i would have quit :p

DukeBobby

• Cover shooter without a dedicated button to snap into cover gave me some issues
  • Game really needs a survivor mode where you need food, water, medicine, less ammo

I don't think it's gross, just rather forgettable. However, in some parts towards the end, I thought it was rather good.

Dany

Banned
From what I saw but the soundtrack sounds great. It totally reminds me of Michael Giacchino for some reason.

Dead

well not really...yet
I really found the combat fun in this game.. the cover mechanic works fairly well, Lara is pretty agile and the open levels (where alot of the big fights go down) reward you for staying on the move.
They definitely nailed combat, all the weapons so far have gotten use and all of them feel good. Plus I love the cat like agility of Lara's dodge and her shove/pickaxe swing.

Even if you are being swamped by enemies, you can constantly keep moving while shootbanging their faces off and the flow is never interrupted. Pure fun

Im curious as to how the Hitman absolution weapons play, but im not about to use dlc weapons on my first run through the game.

Game really needs a survivor mode where you need food, water, medicine, less ammo
That would be an awesome incentive to replay. Im playing on hard at the moment, and its pretty much the equivalent of normal difficulty.

lucius

Does another difficulty option open up after you beat the game, I just started on Hard seems kind of easy though.

That would be an awesome incentive to replay. Im playing on hard at the moment, and its pretty much the equivalent of normal difficulty.

I know right? A difficulty that stands apart from bullet sponging or w/e. This game is about surviving - put a survival mode in please :)

Yeah, I played it on Hard because I heard that it was stupid easy on Normal. Man, I liked when the game allowed for a stealth alternative to waves of enemies. The cliff side forest after the fortress was alright, it made me want a new Tenchu game.

Does another difficulty option open up after you beat the game, I just started on Hard seems kind of easy though.

It didn't for me. I just got a message that said, "Thanks, you beat the game with 100%, you can continue and finish errands bla blah."

Tigel

The main theme is pretty great. Anything beside that though, is just forgettable percussion mashing à la Dead Space. That's too bad :/

Dead

well not really...yet
The main theme is pretty great. Anything beside that though, is just forgettable percussion mashing à la Dead Space. That's too bad :/
same composer

The music is not something I would really listen to on its own, but I feel it does a great job of supporting the atmosphere and the setting, much like in Dead Space.

Yeah, maybe I'm being too harsh because I'm musicguy, but the damn percussion... I mean, we're talking ancient Japan here! There's like 200 variety of percussion they could has used! And chants! And all of the... fuck, I'll just shut up.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Played multiplayer for a while with a couple of friends. Actually had a lot of fun in it. They did a good job at making the maps well-designed and fun, with a few nice secrets to really change things up. And like the main game, upgrading and finding your tools for the job is a lot of fun as well. It's not perfect, but I will admit I wasn't expecting much of anything from it and we all ended up having a great time.

Though we need an option to turn off our mics outside of muting players individually. D<

RedSwirl

Also, I'm probably going to try to get through puzzles without using survivor's instinct. Haven't had to use it once yet no matter how much the game demands me to.

Tigel

same composer

The music is not something I would really listen to on its own, but I feel it does a great job of supporting the atmosphere and the setting, much like in Dead Space.

Yup, Jason Graves.
But I have a soft spot for thematically interesting scores and I rarely enjoy "background noises" compositions. That's why the score didn't click with me.

Yeah, maybe I'm being too harsh because I'm musicguy, but the damn percussion... I mean, we're talking ancient Japan here! There's like 200 variety of percussion they could has used! And chants! And all of the... fuck, I'll just shut up.
I know how you feel. After listening to the OST, I only noticed one track that made use of taiko drums.

G-Fex

That I asked would indicate that I prefer to read the details.

I really need to stop saying that phrase.

Anyway.

It's stupid, and predictable seeing on there will always be some idiotic mods like this, even more bothering seeing as she's a underaged girl possibly? I don't remember her age here.

antitrop

I really need to stop saying that phrase.

Anyway.

It's stupid, and predictable seeing on there will always be some idiotic mods like this, even more bothering seeing as she's a underaged girl possibly? I don't remember her age here.
In this game, 21. I agree with you.

sleepykyo

That part I could guess. But that would be normally be expressed as a faceplam or disappointing. The phrase "root of the problem" threw me since I was expecting something a little more grand or far-reaching.

Spazznid

I think I'm the only one who loves the combat as well as the waves of enemies in this game. Never liked them much in Uncharted 2 and 3 and they were unbearable in uncharted 1. But for some reason, this game does them in a way that I actually look forward to...

Necrovex

lol

All depends on how long the blood has been there. I don't think HIV can survive outside of the body for more then a day.

Is that so? My understanding of Biology is low; I seldom study that topic. I feel like she is going to catch something awful by entering that pool!

Lara is going through a lot :( and its her first adventure, how did the other tomb raider games happen, if i were her i would have quit :p

This would be my first and final adventure. That's enough battle wounds for one lifetime. Hell, all of the abuse she takes, I would think she should like a monster.

Playing this on PC TressFX looks really cool, but man it's a performance hit. I wish there was an option for it to be enabled in cut scenes only.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is square's site all messed up? I'm trying to enter the members code but it takes me to the EU site when I log in and when I try to enter the code it gives me 2 different code options neither of which match mine. Also when I enter the site it tells me to (member.square-enix.com/na) it redirects to the Japanese site...

KyleN

Banned
Lara looks so hot all covered in blood.
Oh yeaah.
iBVaMU41d3WSY.png

kliklik

Banned
Willing to trade an Aviatrix Skin+Shanty Town code for a gamestop Tomb of the Lost Adventurer code. I got an extra one shoved in my game case. Anyone?

Also, on that note, how the hell do I equip the skin? I'm at a base camp and have already put a skill point in but I see no way to give her a jacket. Please, people, she looks very cold!

I'm really bad at aiming in this game. Moves way to fast to me... don't play many Third Person Shooters... maybe that's why?

Anyone else have trouble aiming in the game?

Top Bottom